Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Per IT, Hutson is coming to town for a UV this weekend

Frisco’s Cole Hutson will make a trip to Austin today. The four-star offensive line prospect is a top target for the UT staff.

His father, who played baseball at Arizona State, gets to watch his alma mater from Disch-Falk this weekend.

Hutson will be back later in the month for his OV.

Two trips to the ATX already, this is another good sign.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

King's Hudle is pretty unimpressive. He certainly doesn't seem to break any tackles, or understand the game or routes much. 

He is 5'10", 160lbs. I wouldn't expect him to break many tackles. The question would be to see how he does in the open field. You can't see much of that on film because he isn't schemed open very much but he does appear to have good moves. Personally, I think small guys a lot of times lose speed when the pads go on. That seems to be the case with him - fast but not as fast as his track times would suggest.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

King's Hudle is pretty unimpressive. He certainly doesn't seem to break any tackles, or understand the game or routes much. 

Yeah, not super impressive by any means. You’d like to see a little more change of direction and running through tackles. He seems to be a bit of a long strider for a guy his height, so the short area agility wasn’t quite there from the highlights. He did make a couple nice catches on poorly thrown balls. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

He is 5'10", 160lbs. I wouldn't expect him to break many tackles. The question would be to see how he does in the open field. You can't see much of that on film because he isn't schemed open very much but he does appear to have good moves. Personally, I think small guys a lot of times lose speed when the pads go on. That seems to be the case with him - fast but not as fast as his track times would suggest.

Except we've seen similar players at the HS level being plenty capable of breaking tackles. Or even better, juking more guys. He's brought down repeatedly by single arm tackles of dudes heading in opposite directions.

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, not super impressive by any means. You’d like to see a little more change of direction and running through tackles. He seems to be a bit of a long strider for a guy his height, so the short area agility wasn’t quite there from the highlights. He did make a couple nice catches on poorly thrown balls. 

Yeah. Definitely a developmental prospect. I'm not sure I'd take a flier on him in this class if we think we can do better now and in 2023. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Except we've seen similar players at the HS level being plenty capable of breaking tackles. Or even better, juking more guys. He's brought down repeatedly by single arm tackles of dudes heading in opposite directions.

Yeah. Definitely a developmental prospect. I'm not sure I'd take a flier on him in this class if we think we can do better now and in 2023. 

I see him as a guy you keep in contact with and if an extra spot, a scholarship opens up late, or strike out on other targets in this class you take him for the developmental potential with that kind of speed.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

You would figure a guy with that kind of speed would have more TD plays on his highlights. I remember playing Victor Ike in high school, I was on defense and I couldn't lay a finger on the guy the entire game. He wasn't elusive, just straight line fast. 

Edit: I am with Sydney on this one. What the hell is wrong with me. 

Edited by Vertigo

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Valid points but how many tackles did DSmith break in the national championship game? Sark schemes to get his receivers in mismatches. Imagine King lining up over a LB like DSmith did many times during that game. You can't teach speed. You can reach him proper route running. These are the guys that fat bastard at tcu takes and then make them pains in our asses for 4 years.

This isn't Herman coaching anymore. Take him and see if you can turn him into Waddle or Smith. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Roach with this weekend's list of visitors and a few morning updates

Hide contents

As we alluded to in The Stampede, Tuihalamaka did indeed move his trip from the 18th to this weekend. The California inside thumper seems to be coming down to Texas and Notre Dame as the two schools standing out for him, and the buzz is on the Fighting Irish at the moment. Perhaps Texas could change his mind this weekend, but we understand that Tuihalamaka wants to make his visits early in the month to make a mid-month announcement.

##########################

Tuihalamaka comes to Texas earlier than expected after moving his visit date.  The Longhorns are one of two visits he has scheduled for the summer with Notre Dame slated for next week.  Sources I spoke with indicate Tuihalmaka is expected to make a decision soon after concluding these visits.  The Fighting Irish currently hold the lead for the west coast thumper.

He calls Niuafe Tuihalamaka a “thumper” twice. What is he, a fucking cartoon rabbit?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Valid points but how many tackles did DSmith break in the national championship game? Sark schemes to get his receivers in mismatches. Imagine King lining up over a LB like DSmith did many times during that game. You can't teach speed. You can reach him proper route running. These are the guys that fat bastard at tcu takes and then make them pains in our asses for 4 years.

This isn't Herman coaching anymore. Take him and see if you can turn him into Waddle or Smith. 

This guy is nothing like Waddle or Smith. Just because Sark can scheme guys open doesn’t make King a take. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This guy is nothing like Waddle or Smith. Just because Sark can scheme guys open doesn’t make King a take. 

Agree that he doesn't have to be a take due to speed alone. There's plenty of guys that are fast that also happen to be able to play football.

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Now show me devontas Hs clips. This kid is ranked as a .85 for a reason. 

IT

Spoiler

Recruiting Matters

It really matters this month. That ‘boat load‘ has a number attached to it. IT has heard the program expects in the neighborhood of 40 official visitors. We don’t know if that’s a rounded number or not. We’ve been trying to account for all of them and are coming up short.

Some visitors are on campus for a small official visit weekend. We’ve already heard this first young man passes the eye-ball eval.

DT Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (Orlando, FL): Florida State had the 6-foot-2, 290-pounder on campus June 1, and has been considered the favorite since offering. When IT first spoke with the former St. Augustine (New Orleans) Defensive lineman after he was initially offered by Texas, he said he grew up rooting for the Seminoles. With that said, the Longhorns have a shot here headed into the official visit due to the staff having some solid ties to a person or two close to Thomas. Thomas has spoken with Texas freshman DL Barryn Sorrell, and that has also helped Texas’ chances. (More on Thomas below)

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek:
IT spoke with a source very close to Banks late this week, and the Longhorns continue to be the heavy favorite headed into the official visit process. Simply put, it would be a major upset if Banks doesn’t end up in Austin at this point.

DT Bear Alexander, Fort Worth Brewer: The Georgia verbal was in Athens this week, but there is a growing feeling that it’s a matter of time until the elite defensive tackle prospect flips to Texas A&M. That could happen shortly if Bear shows up in College Station this weekend. There is a tentatively scheduled UOV to Texas set for the weekend of June 18-20, but IT is not sure if that visit will happen.

Official vistors:

DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Fresh off a trip to Lubbock, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound four-star landed in Austin yesterday evening. Brown wants to see how the staff and teammates co-exist and the family atmosphere in the ATX.

We fancy ourselves as having a good eye for talent. Brown is a must-get for Texas. An instate college coach jumped into one of our mentions recently to tell us how special Brown was. Sorry, Coach, we won’t pass that along to Brown, but we do appreciate the internal evaluation.

The dream haul for the staff is Brown and Justice Finkley.

Recruited by: Blake Gideon, Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 18-20), Baylor (June 25-27), Oklahoma (September 18)

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-2, 225-pound inside backer arrived last night. He’s cancelled his Oklahoma State official visit and has Baylor and Michigan remaining. UT is a fan here and the right impression could put Texas on the cusp of closing it out. Beware: Alabama and LSU are evaluating.

Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Blake Gideon

OV schedule: Michigan (June 11-13), Baylor (June 18-20)

RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA) - 2022: IT has heard the 6-foot, 217 pound bruising ball-carrier had a great trip to Baton Rouge early in the week. Stan Drayton can win these sweepstakes, but the pieces need to fall into place. Having excellent recruiters in the form of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson should help.

Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 11-13), USC (June 18-20), Arkansas (June 25-27)

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022: If there’s one guy we’re curious about when it comes to the in-person evaluation it’s the three-star from East Texas. Is the bruising back on high school film projectable to college after they see his frame? We’ll see.

This might be the first big trip of Gatson’s life, and he’d like to see everything the University of Texas has to offer. We maintain Texas can win out if it wants. Getting a feel for Citizen will be key for the staff.

Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Bo Davis

OV schedule: USC (June 11-13), Colorado (June 18-20)

DL Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (Orlando, FL) - 2022: Texas wants to get Bishop to move diagonally off his current FSU footing. He’s high atop the wish list of interior prospects. Network DL evals are horrendous this cycle. Thomas would be the case in point of .88’s being interchangeable with .92’s, save for the fact he’s probably a .95.

Recruited by: Bo Davis

OV schedule: Texas (June 4-6), Tennessee (June 18-20), Florida State (June 25-27)

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - 2022: This feels like Notre Dame and that’s why he bumped this trip up the weekend before he embarks on the trip to South Bend. The staff does like him, but more than Sebastian Cheeks? A split with the Domers on Cheeks/Tuihalamaka would be a win in the staff’s eyes.

Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Notre Dame (June 11-13)

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

Recruiting Matters

It really matters this month. That ‘boat load‘ has a number attached to it. IT has heard the program expects in the neighborhood of 40 official visitors. We don’t know if that’s a rounded number or not. We’ve been trying to account for all of them and are coming up short.

Some visitors are on campus for a small official visit weekend. We’ve already heard this first young man passes the eye-ball eval.

DT Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (Orlando, FL): Florida State had the 6-foot-2, 290-pounder on campus June 1, and has been considered the favorite since offering. When IT first spoke with the former St. Augustine (New Orleans) Defensive lineman after he was initially offered by Texas, he said he grew up rooting for the Seminoles. With that said, the Longhorns have a shot here headed into the official visit due to the staff having some solid ties to a person or two close to Thomas. Thomas has spoken with Texas freshman DL Barryn Sorrell, and that has also helped Texas’ chances. (More on Thomas below)

OT Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek:
IT spoke with a source very close to Banks late this week, and the Longhorns continue to be the heavy favorite headed into the official visit process. Simply put, it would be a major upset if Banks doesn’t end up in Austin at this point.

DT Bear Alexander, Fort Worth Brewer: The Georgia verbal was in Athens this week, but there is a growing feeling that it’s a matter of time until the elite defensive tackle prospect flips to Texas A&M. That could happen shortly if Bear shows up in College Station this weekend. There is a tentatively scheduled UOV to Texas set for the weekend of June 18-20, but IT is not sure if that visit will happen.

Official vistors:

DE/EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX) - 2022: Fresh off a trip to Lubbock, the 6-foot-4, 215-pound four-star landed in Austin yesterday evening. Brown wants to see how the staff and teammates co-exist and the family atmosphere in the ATX.

We fancy ourselves as having a good eye for talent. Brown is a must-get for Texas. An instate college coach jumped into one of our mentions recently to tell us how special Brown was. Sorry, Coach, we won’t pass that along to Brown, but we do appreciate the internal evaluation.

The dream haul for the staff is Brown and Justice Finkley.

Recruited by: Blake Gideon, Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 18-20), Baylor (June 25-27), Oklahoma (September 18)

LB Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Tenaha, TX) - 2022: The 6-foot-2, 225-pound inside backer arrived last night. He’s cancelled his Oklahoma State official visit and has Baylor and Michigan remaining. UT is a fan here and the right impression could put Texas on the cusp of closing it out. Beware: Alabama and LSU are evaluating.

Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Blake Gideon

OV schedule: Michigan (June 11-13), Baylor (June 18-20)

RB TreVonte Citizen, Lake Charles College Prep (Lake Charles, LA) - 2022: IT has heard the 6-foot, 217 pound bruising ball-carrier had a great trip to Baton Rouge early in the week. Stan Drayton can win these sweepstakes, but the pieces need to fall into place. Having excellent recruiters in the form of Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson should help.

Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Texas A&M (June 11-13), USC (June 18-20), Arkansas (June 25-27)

RB DeAnthony Gatson, Newton (Newton, TX) - 2022: If there’s one guy we’re curious about when it comes to the in-person evaluation it’s the three-star from East Texas. Is the bruising back on high school film projectable to college after they see his frame? We’ll see.

This might be the first big trip of Gatson’s life, and he’d like to see everything the University of Texas has to offer. We maintain Texas can win out if it wants. Getting a feel for Citizen will be key for the staff.

Recruited by: Stan Drayton, Bo Davis

OV schedule: USC (June 11-13), Colorado (June 18-20)

DL Bishop Thomas, Bishop Moore (Orlando, FL) - 2022: Texas wants to get Bishop to move diagonally off his current FSU footing. He’s high atop the wish list of interior prospects. Network DL evals are horrendous this cycle. Thomas would be the case in point of .88’s being interchangeable with .92’s, save for the fact he’s probably a .95.

Recruited by: Bo Davis

OV schedule: Texas (June 4-6), Tennessee (June 18-20), Florida State (June 25-27)

LB Niuafe Tuihalamaka, Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills, CA) - 2022: This feels like Notre Dame and that’s why he bumped this trip up the weekend before he embarks on the trip to South Bend. The staff does like him, but more than Sebastian Cheeks? A split with the Domers on Cheeks/Tuihalamaka would be a win in the staff’s eyes.

Recruited by: Jeff Choate, Pete Kwiatkowski, Steve Sarkisian

OV schedule: Notre Dame (June 11-13)

Lol at Bear getting ALL the bags he can out of his recruitment.

Edited by texifornia

24 minutes ago, Danimal said:

One thing we got out of the Tom Herman era is not having an outdated locker room like this.

That's not accurate. I can't tell you what the story is with that photo location, but LSU opened a brand new player facility in 2019. Their locker rooms look like this:

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

lol at Aggy getting into a money fight with GA, I thought the SEC recruited like gentlemen

I'm legit curious how this works. It's just a straight up bidding war until the ink is dry on signing day? What's any program's incentive to purchase a commitment if the player is going to keep shopping around?

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

What's any program's incentive to purchase a commitment if the player is going to keep shopping around?

You're in the SEC. You play the game or you get left behind. Let some boosters and alum with the resources spend their money.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not accurate. I can't tell you what the story is with that photo location, but LSU opened a brand new player facility in 2019. Their locker rooms look like this:

It's Louisiana, bruh. Their new locker room has probably been repoed already.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Lol at Bear getting ALL the bags he can out of his recruitment.

He's probably my favorite recruit that UT has no chance with. I fully expect him to accept cash/flip to Aggy, and then fax his LOI to Saban on Signing Day in exchange for a lightly used Dodge Charger. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

He's probably my favorite recruit that UT has no chance with. I fully expect him to accept cash/flip to Aggy, and then fax his LOI to Saban on Signing Day in exchange for a lightly used Dodge Charger. 

Gotta respect that "fuck you pay me" attitude.  

• Haha 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting