Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

7 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hamilton is going all-in on the kool-aid tonight - now saying that Shazz Preston spoke with the coaching staff tonight and has been in regular contact for the last few weeks. Also thinks that Quency Wiggins may not be a take for Bama due to scheme fit so it may come down to LSU and Texas.

Card needs to deliver for sark. I'm expecting Moore to blow up this season and if worthy produces watch out.

14 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

Hamilton is going all-in on the kool-aid tonight - now saying that Shazz Preston spoke with the coaching staff tonight and has been in regular contact for the last few weeks. Also thinks that Quency Wiggins may not be a take for Bama due to scheme fit so it may come down to LSU and Texas.

spacer.png

I'm having a nice time reading all this stuff after a long work day.

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Alabama is way too spoiled if an explosive 6’6 270 lb top 100 guy is “not a scheme fit.”  LMAO.   What scheme can’t use that guy?

Trevell Johnson’s tape last year looked legit.  He was twitchy in a way most guys aren’t - stuff like blocking multiple punts and kicks not because the snap was bobbled but just because he was shot out of a cannon off the edge.  Those are the kind of plays Michael Griffin and Aaron Williams made.   I was excited about him pre-injury.  But that was pre-injury, and he’s a very small framed guy for a LB prospect.   If the hip injury slowed him down, I get wanting to look elsewhere.  

Finish with Campbell, Hudson, one of Stewart or Thompson, an OT better than Herb Hand’s cavalcade of private school backup plans, and a DB or 2, and this class would be a strong one.  That should all be reasonable except maybe the Stewart part.  Everyone take notes from Bo Davis.

Didn’t Johnson visit tech pretty recently?

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’d we got Wiggins I’d think keeping Ross would be a challenge. Hopefully a SD1\SD2 scenario as free a solid season where our DLine gets a ton of pub. 

I was thinking the the same thing. If Wiggins wanted in, you would think someone would have to get processed. 

Nahlin on D-Line Recruiting

We like to talk fits on IT because fit really does matter. When you put players in position to excel, good things happen. Malcolm Roach the defensive lineman was taught that lesson by Malcolm Roach the middle linebacker.

Just as the offensive line makes life easier for every offensive player, the same is true for defensive line and the rest of the defense. It’s a big reason why DeMarvion Overshown and Luke Brockermeyer are primed for big years. If you keep Overshown clean, he’s going to be able to play to his strengths — having a clear path and covering space in a hurry.

Of course a stout defensive line makes life easier on the secondary, too. UT’s current DBU class is wanting, but the d-line haul should be attractive to prospective secondary personnel as the staff recruits the final quarter of the cycle.

We’re about to see Pete Kwiatkowski and Bo Davis unleash defensive linemen in waves. Once you see the efficacy of that, the amount of recruiting capital they’re spending on the d-line will make even more sense.

They have four types they look for: EDGE (Jack), nose tackle, 3-tech, EDGE (Buck). They’ve already assembled a very strong, complementary group.

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Marlin, TX): Bledsoe is the most uncommon of the bunch and is the perfect swing player between 3-tech and NT. He’s an abrupt athlete with top-five player in the state upside. He’ll probably start at 3-tech but he could very well end up at NT long term.

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Ascension Catholic (Donaldsville, LA): Tapp’s an awesome ball of clay. While I don’t think he has Justice Finkley’s floor, a case can be made his ceiling is higher due to more length, overall frame potential, and a cleaner projection. On3 has Tapp ranked higher and I understand why. For those who find basketball highlights useful to judge footwork and coordination, watch the first clip. Texas took three Jacks in the previous class, but a couple are unknowns. So they’re going to load up again.

Fit: Jack

DL Kris Ross, North Shore (Houston, TX): If I had to pick one player I felt would be drafted highest in the d-line class, I’d bet on Kris Ross. He’s naturally explosive and adding good, solid weight, in a manner that allows him to keep his movement skills on par with where they were when he was 20 pounds lighter. I’m personally not worried about him de-committing at this time. If you want to get a feel for Ross’ usage, watch Moro Ojomo this weekend.

Fit: 3-tech.

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texas High (Texarkana, TX): We felt the staff was a little slow on the draw to offer Brown but once they caught on they made up ground in a hurry. Brown’s a big need in the class because he’s probably going to be the only true Buck OLB. That’s the EDGE player tasked with doing a little bit of everything. Brown is perfect for that role. He’s a plus athlete with excellent change of direction. He’s even better than Joseph Ossai in that regard.

Fit: Buck

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Southaven, MS): Bryant is a huge need in the class as a pure nose tackle a la Keondre Coburn and T’Vondre Sweat. He’s a plugger with the athleticism to get in the back field and disrupt, or travel down the line of scrimmage on plays away from him. The staff knew early on it wasn’t going to get Bear Alexander and identified Bryant as a quality replacement. He’s young for his grade and also a hard worker, so there’s plenty of ceiling left to explore.

Fit: NT

EDGE Zac Swanson, Brophy Prep (Phoenix, AZ): I haven’t seen senior footage for Swanson. He’s a bit of a tougher projection. He doesn’t have the arm length you’re going to want while grappling with tackles on the outside, and he probably doesn’t have the bend either. I’d give him time to physically develop and move him to 3-tech to take advantage of his very good first step and more straight-line movement skills.

Fit: 3-tech.

EDGE Anthony Jones, Liberty (Henderson, NV): Jones is lowest rated of the group, but I’m a pretty big fan. Covid deprived him of his junior year and between his sophomore and senior seasons he added a lot of good weight. Where it gets interesting with Jones, if the staff can’t get Jaleel Skinner to 10,000 Instagram followers, he could definitely play TE at Texas if the staff wanted to relieve pressure on d-line numbers. Jones’ first two games highlight good movement skills at his legit 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 height.

Fit: Could start at Buck and grow into a Jack, or play TE. Not a clear fit, but in a good way.

Gerry's run down of potential recruits after the Bledsoe commitment:

With the commitment of No. 69 Jaray Bledsoe (Marlin, Texas) Monday, the Texas Longhorns have a Top 10 class in 2022.

Steve Sarkisian’s Top 10 class now has 19 commitments, including 10 members of the On300.

With 15 members of the On300 still considering the Longhorns, a Top 5 class remains in play.

In order to sign a Top 5 class, Texas must hit on two five-star’s and fill out the class from the list below.

Evan Stewart, WR, Frisco (Texas) Liberty

On300 Ranking: No. 5

The five-star will play in the SEC barring a major upset. That means Texas, Florida, Alabama, LSU or Texas A&M will ink the explosive playmaker.

Harold Perkins, LB, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park

On300 Ranking: No. 8

The five-star linebacker is a lock to play in the SEC. He told the Texas staff as much on his official visit in June. Texas A&M, childhood favorite LSU, Florida, Texas and possibly Alabama are in play.

Denver Harris, CB, Houston (Texas) North Shore

On300 Ranking: No. 12

Harris is a third five-star seriously considering the Longhorns. All the chatter is Alabama leads big. The Texas staff continues to fight in the recruitment, and is doing well with Harris’ circle. LSU is on the peripheral.

Jaleel Skinner, TE, Greer (S.C.) IMG Academy

On300 Ranking: No. 17

The five-star from the Palmetto State now at IMG Academy is considered a long shot. Jeff Banks has Texas in the final five with Miami, Florida State, Clemson and Alabama.

Devon Campbell, IOL, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

On 300 Ranking: No. 18

Five-star Campbell has been a lean to Texas since the beginning of his recruitment. Oklahoma has closed the gap headed into the fall. Fall officials are expected to be made to Texas, Alabama and LSU. USC is on the outside looking in.

Quency Wiggins, DL, Baton Rouge (La.) Madison Prep

On300 Ranking: No. 22

Wiggins has been on campus, and will likely come back for an official visit. With that said, Alabama and LSU are way out in front of Texas and Auburn.

Brenen Thompson, WR, Spearman (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 24

Family wants close to home. The final three of Texas A&M, Texas and Oklahoma State means that will happen. The Aggies have been ascending headed into the fall. Texas receives the final official visit September 17.

Jordan Hudson, WR, Garland (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 29

The SMU commit is still listening to Texas, and could make an official visit in the fall. Texas is not likely to offer teammate and SMU commit Chace Biddle IT learned Monday.

Omai Abor, EDGE, Duncanville (Texas)

On300 Ranking: No. 30

Texas made the final five for Abor, along with Ohio State, Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M. Texas best chance of winning out for Abor would be Harold Perkins ending up in Austin. They have become really close. Texas A&M and LSU are playing that card.

Neto Umeozulu, IOL/OT, Allen (Texas)

On300 ranking: No. 58

Any member of IT want to guess where Umeozulu ends up? Your guess is as good as any college coach at this point. Texas is working to get an official visit this fall.

Kam Dewberry, OT, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

On300 Ranking: No. 68

The Longhorns are fighting for the last official visit with Alabama. Oklahoma receives OV No. 4 September 17-19. Texas A&M and Oklahoma are in a good spot ahead of Texas, LSU, Ohio State and Alabama.

Earnest Greene, IOL, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco

On300 Ranking: No. 133

Texas covets the Southern California four-star. So does early favorite Ohio State, and a number of others. The Longhorns are working to get a fall official visit.

J’Mond Tapp, EDGE, Donaldsville (La.) Ascension Catholic

On300 Ranking: No. 152

Texas is the sleeper here. The Longhorns remain the lone June official visit made by the Pelican State EDGE prospect. Florida is in the mix, but this could come down to Alabama and LSU rolling out the red carpet.

Lander Barton, LB, Salt Lake City (Utah) Brighton

On300 Ranking: No. 183

Barton is et to make an official visit to Texas for the Texas Tech game weekend. Barton comes from a family full of former Utah Utes athletes, but the Longhorns have a shot.

Justice Finkley, EDGE, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

On300 Ranking: No. 190

Texas has done very well in the relationship building in this recruitment. Problem is Alabama wants the in-state four-star. Colorado is the third school in the mix.

1 hour ago, Lou_Sassle said:

I was thinking the the same thing. If Wiggins wanted in, you would think someone would have to get processed. 

I guess you could say it would be a certain DL commit’s Swan song. 

25 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Would Ross be the casualty or do you feel they'd try and process Swanson?

Ross would never get processed. He’s saying Ross might jump if that happened. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I guess you could say it would be a certain DL commit’s Swan song. 

Ross would never get processed. He’s saying Ross might jump if that happened. 

Gotcha....yeah that would make sense. I do recall reading that PK loves to rotate guys a lot so I can see why we are pushing for a large DL class especially with our roster that is pretty light after 2022 season.

"IF" we were to somehow get Wiggins or someone else, I don't think Jones would have a problem moving to TE.  Pretty sure that's what he originally wanted to play anyways.  Still think he has upside on D', but I don't think he'd mind and you could say he'd be the only TE in this class.  

Need the Ogre to go .500 again, but he can still beat aggy to close out the year.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

"IF" we were to somehow get Wiggins or someone else, I don't think Jones would have a problem moving to TE.  Pretty sure that's what he originally wanted to play anyways.  Still think he has upside on D', but I don't think he'd mind and you could say he'd be the only TE in this class.  

Time for Drayton and Davis to start doing work on the OL and TEs, amirite? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elite CB recruiting is always going to be a problem while Saban is at Bama. And it only get tougher when Texas moves into the SEC. 

It'll get worse if we struggle even more once were in. Otherwise, it's one fewer thing for them to sell against us.

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elite CB recruiting is always going to be a problem while Saban is at Bama. And it only get tougher when Texas moves into the SEC. 

Our recruiting base is home to the best skill players in the country. There’s no excuse for us not to field elite DBs. Our coaching just needs to evaluate & find the ballers who best fit what we do. Brandon Joseph a 3 star player out of college station was a top 5 DB in college football last season as a freshman. Christian Gonzalez of Colorado was one of the better corners our receivers faced last season, he was a freshman out of the Dallas area.

• Hook 'Em 4

Was just reading the LSU tears over Tapp. Another benefit of joining that league:

- Force aggys to play us again while hurting their recruiting and also outing them to the world as the scared little bitches they are

- Renew historic rivalry with arkie 

- Open up recruiting channels in the south for guys like Bledsoe and Tapp - also seem to be making a run at LA. kids Wiggins and Preston 

- Profit

• Hook 'Em 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting