Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

You do realize almost everyone in his state doesn't have power, right.
Well, that would be a good reason, but he was able to watch highlights and give a phone interview.

Not watching the entire game isn't a bfd, not everyone has 3+ hours every Saturday. Having said that, he did commit just recently and this was the first game played by the team he committed to..and we were playing a ranked team from his home state. Swamp tigah shitting the bed does make me feel better about holding on to his commitment.
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Very cryptic reply from Gerry here in the potential offer to Law thread. Will be cross posting because it seems relevant in the 2023 thread 

F677BFCE-EE81-4B16-93C9-74A1ED48CABB.jpeg

I don't think it's crypitc, more an observation that LSU is an absolute mess right now.

2 hours ago, ousux said:

Well, that would be a good reason, but he was able to watch highlights and give a phone interview.

Not watching the entire game isn't a bfd, not everyone has 3+ hours every Saturday. Having said that, he did commit just recently and this was the first game played by the team he committed to..and we were playing a ranked team from his home state. Swamp tigah shitting the bed does make me feel better about holding on to his commitment.

They also kind of had this thing called Ida.

Mike at Night: Notes on three big out of state targets

MIKE ROACH

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Notes on three big out of state targets

MIKE ROACH

— Two big Texas targets hit significant benchmarks in their recruitments today. We’ll start with Justice Finkley. The four-star defensive lineman from Hewitt (Ala.) Trussville will announce his commitment Friday on CBSSports HQ. In the last few weeks, I’ve been vocal that I think Alabama would be tough to top for him, but Finkley valuing a mix of “books and ball” would keep Texas in the fight. The Longhorns haven’t been shy about adding defensive line talent to the class with now six defensive linemen and edge rushers in the class. Despite adding the numbers they have, I was told over the weekend that the staff worked to make sure there was room in the class for Finkley, who is one of their highest valued targets. There’s a lot of confidence in Tuscaloosa, and there should be with the way that staff recruits. That said, I don’t get the sense from anyone at Texas that this is over at the moment. The confidence I heard in Texas did come with the caveat that you can never count Nick Saban out of a recruitment. In fact, I’d say that there is a tremendous amount of respect being paid to that staff’s recruiting ability which is understandable given the fact that a number of coaches at Texas were at Alabama in the last few years. From what I can tell, Finkley hasn’t tipped his hand to anyone as of yet. Stay tuned this week, but if Texas wins it would be a massive recruiting haul and another stud up front.

— Four-star St. James (LA.) wide receiver announced a Top 4 of Texas, Georgia, Alabama and LSU. I mentioned in the past few weeks that several sources felt that Texas was still very much in this race. I’ve said in the past that I’d like to see Preston make it back to campus and he told 247Sports he intends to do just that. Texas has a few things working in their favor there with Steve Sarkisian and Andre Coleman who hold long-standing relationships with Preston. Texas has three other coaches with ties to The Boot. Director of Recruiting Brandon Harris is from Shreveport and played at LSU while quality control assistant Cordae Hankton is from the New Orleans area. Terry Joseph also has extensive ties to the state, though that’s somewhat negated by his brother Mickey Joseph who coaches wide receivers at LSU. Harris played in college with Lowell Narcisse who is from St. James and close Preston. This is yet another race where Texas is going to have to overcome the home-team advantage in LSU and two nationally elite recruiting programs in Georgia and Alabama. Can they do it? Right now there seems to be a little mojo in that staff, especially when it comes to Louisiana. With a need at outside wide receiver in this class, Texas is pushing to secure the lanky pass-catcher.

— I spoke to a source this weekend regarding five-star Seattle (Wa.) Rainier Beach offensive tackle Josh Conerly and it sounds like he’s trending away from Texas at this time. While it looked like he would take an official visit to Austin, it sounds less likely that happens now with the focus being on Washington, USC and Michigan. Just about everyone around Conerly has always felt he would stay out west though Michigan is considered a legitimate contender as well. It’s looking like a much tougher road for Texas at this moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TXpride said:

LSU obviously has a ton of pull in LA, but they also haven't experienced a real down period in 20+ years. It's a lot easier to have loyalty when you're putting guys in the league and competing for championships. It wasn't that long ago that Mack had TX locked down. A few down years can drastically change the perception of a program.

from Bill C's SEC Preview

LSU_SP.png&w=570&format=jpg

4 is the year before they hired Saban

S&P+ has them with SIX relative toss ups - their season could go bad pretty quickly and snowball from there.

Relative toss-ups: at Mississippi State (59%), Auburn (57%), at Ole Miss (44%), at UCLA (42%), Texas A&M (41%), Florida (41%)

9 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

e5337abe3ee5ee49d5d58fa9fdb47d9e.png

6cb34bc652ca76ec9466b05805f5ed70.png

85bbd7f991dc237f9adc0c56b2fb2e6b.png

He liked several things pointing out Texas as a finalist, and not much else about individual schools. Definitely was liking people pointing out it was an "all sec" top 4. CALCULATOR

https://en.whotwi.com/shazzpreston7/friends

Preston is following about a thousand folks but isn't tipping anything with his recent follows on twitter.

Gerry's best class scenario

The Texas Longhorns best class scenario is back. And the best class possibilities are looking up after a run of three On300 defensive line commitments to end August.

Steve Sarkisian’s first full class sits comfortably inside the top 10 nationally, with a top 5 class remaining a possibility. 

In the updated best class scenario for the Texas Longhorns, IT lists 31 players that would fill needs in spades. Texas won’t get them all, but a combination of the 30 makes for a terrific first class for Sarkisian and staff.

Inside Texas isn’t including any potential flip scenarios at this time. But they may exist at a later date. 

Texas Longhorns best class scenario

QB Maalik Murphy, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra

6-5, 225

Committed to: #AllGasNoBrakes

RB Jaydon Blue, Klein (Texas) Cain

5-10.5, 205

On300 Ranking: No. 114

RB Jamarion Miller, Tyler (Texas) Legacy

5-10, 200

On300 Ranking: No. 82

WR Evan Stewart, Frisco (Texas) Liberty

6-0, 175

On300 ranking: No. 5 (five-star)

The skinny: Stewart will play in the SEC

Freak athlete that is a “must get” for Texas in the 2022 cycle.

Alabama will receive an official the first weekend of November. Texas will be battling Florida and Alabama all the way until the end. LSU and Texas A&M are on the peripheral. 

WR Shazz Preston, Saint James (La.) 

6-0, 190

On300 ranking: No. 87 

Where it stands: Preston released a final four of LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Texas on Monday. IT was told in recent days that LSU isn’t the most likely destination right now. Texas has a legit chance due to offensive scheme and early opportunity. 

WR Brenen Thompson, Spearman (Texas)

5-10, 165

On300 ranking: No. 24 

The competition: Texas A&M and Oklahoma State

Texas receives the final official visit September 17. This will be a popular official visit for Thompson’s mom and grandmother. 

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (Texas)

6-2, 180

On300 ranking: No. 280 

TE Jaleel Skinner, Greer High (S.C.) IMG Academy

6-5, 210

On300 ranking: No. 17 (five-star)

Skinner made his final official visit to Florida State over the weekend. Texas, Miami, Clemson and Alabama round out the final five with a decision set for October 9.

OT Kam Dewberry, Humble (Texas) Atascocita

6-5, 310

On300 ranking: No. 68 

Inside skinny: Texas A&M and Oklahoma are ahead of Texas currently. The Sooners receive an official visit September 17. Either the Longhorns or Alabama will receive the final official visit. Ohio State and LSU are also under consideration.

OT/IOL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (Texas)

6-4, 290

On300 ranking: No. 58

The competition: USC is the lone official visit made to date. Texas A&M, Texas, Alabama all possible to likely to receive an official visit. 

IOL Devon Campbell, Arlington (Texas) Bowie

6-3.5, 317

On300 ranking: No. 18 (five-star)

The inside skinny without Steve McKinney: Texas will receive the final official visit for the “must-get” prospect. Kyle Flood and Jeff Banks have done solid work here The Longhorns main competition is Oklahoma with USC in the fight. Alabama and LSU are likely to receive official’s in the fall. 

IOL Connor Robertson, Austin (Texas) Westlake

6-4, 295

On300 ranking: No. 239 

IOL Cole Hutson, Frisco (Texas)

6-5, 305

DL Jaray Bledsoe, Marlin (Texas)

6-4, 275

On300 ranking: No. 69

Committed to #AllGasNoBrakes

DL Kristopher Ross, Houston (Texas) North Shore

6-3, 279

On300 ranking: No. 55

DL Aaron Bryant, Southaven (Miss.)

6-4, 305

On300 ranking: No. 157 

DL Zac Swanson, Phoenix (Ariz.) Brophy College Prep

6-3, 255

EDGE Justice Finkley, Trussville (Ala.) Hewitt-Trussville

6-2, 255

On300 ranking: No. 190

The decision: Finkley will announce his decision on Thursday with Alabama considered the favorite over Texas and Colorado. There has been some quiet confidence on the Texas side in the last couple of weeks. 

EDGE J’Mond Tapp, Donaldsville (La.) Ascension Catholic

6-3, 245

Texas will have to recruit Tapp like he’s not committed all the way until signing day in December. 

EDGE Derrick Brown, Texarkana (Texas) Texas High 

6-3, 210

On300 ranking: No. 193

EDGE Anthony Jones, Henderson (Nv.) Liberty 

6-4.5, 240

LB Trevell Johnson, Arlington (Texas) Martin

6-1, 200

LB/hybrid Harold Perkins, Cypress (Texas) Cy Park

6-2.5, 205

On300 ranking: No. 8 (five-star)

The competition: Texas A&M, LSU, Florida and Alabama

Perkins will play in the SEC. Texas A&M is very confident. LSU is where Perkins always wanted to go. Texas needs to just hang around the rim and see what happens this season for the Aggies and Tigers. Perkins really does like Austin and the University of Texas

LB Eoghan Kerry, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei 

6-3, 225

Note: December high school graduate

S Bryan Allen Jr., Aledo (Texas)

6-0, 185

On300 ranking: No. 96

Favorite IT poster is @keganr

S Austin Jordan, Denton (Texas) Ryan

6-0, 190

On300 ranking: No. 211 

CB/S Jaylon Guilbeau, Port Arthur (Texas) Memorial

6-0, 180

On300 ranking: No. 184 

Guilbeau was back in Austin Saturday. If he wants back in the class, it will likely have to happen quick or Texas will go after Kendrick Law (Captain Shreve). TCU and Texas A&M unofficial visits are likely the first two weekends in October. 

CB Denver Harris, Houston (Texas) North Shore

6-1, 180

On300 ranking: No. 12 (five-star)

The competition: Alabama and LSU

Alabama continues to be considered the favorite over Texas. And a decision could happen as soon as September 22. LSU and Texas A&M continue to stay in the fight. 

CB Ronald Lewis, New Orleans (La.) Warren Easton

6-0, 170

K Will Stone, Austin Regents School

6-0, 175

LS Lance St. Louis, Williams Field (AZ)

6-1, 215

2 hours ago, EZ$ said:

Not too worried. He’s a lottery ticket with Arch coming a year behind him. 

Good point - but even with the INTs I think Maalik is a great take. His ceiling is incredible. He was still the best player on the field (from what limited information I can gather).

Edited by The Dog

2 hours ago, Okcool said:

TFB and Super K still think Texas likely the pick for Finkley.

Bo Davis has a lot of confidence in getting him and those guys connect with BD in some form. That's great and all, but Davis is like a lot of other excellent recruiters - he thinks he's getting everyone. Alabama sure seems confident about getting Finkley as well these days. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I am skeptical that Texas brings in more than 23 guys on scholarship in this class. I am betting the deep snapper and kicker are coming in on their own dime, at first, with the expectation that they will get scholarships as they earn it.

Texas needs to address some weak spots in the portal, so they'll need room there. They need to find a standout OT, a warm body at QB (Thompson leaves after the season, I assume), and WR help, at a minimum. If they are a destination program after a strong season, there might be other guys that they're excited about getting as well. 

That considered, if there are changes to the per year numbers, as is the big rumor, then sure, this goes out the window. I think all of the "but won't they think of the children!??!" pleading coming from the pearl-clutchers in the media about guys getting screwed in the portal is bullshit, but if it creates a scenario where the NCAA allows transfers up to X given number independent of the 25 man recruit cap, I'll gladly take it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

Can we even take 31? I know we won't get them all anyway, but just curious. 

Surly NIL deals with walk-ons to the tune of $40K/year and you bet your sweet ass we can take 31. #SurlyLooseEnds

Welcome to the state of Nebraska’s county scholarship program in the ‘90s that produced 3 Deep offensive lines from “former walk-on” steroided mutant farm boys while the scholarships and the bail money went to less desirables from the both coasts, Texas, and anywhere a plus athlete popped up. 

We can get 31 recruits as easily as Walter can get you a toe, Dude.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I am skeptical that Texas brings in more than 23 guys on scholarship in this class. I am betting the deep snapper and kicker are coming in on their own dime, at first, with the expectation that they will get scholarships as they earn it.

Texas needs to address some weak spots in the portal, so they'll need room there. They need to find a standout OT, a warm body at QB (Thompson leaves after the season, I assume), and WR help, at a minimum. If they are a destination program after a strong season, there might be other guys that they're excited about getting as well. 

That considered, if there are changes to the per year numbers, as is the big rumor, then sure, this goes out the window. I think all of the "but won't they think of the children!??!" pleading coming from the pearl-clutchers in the media about guys getting screwed in the portal is bullshit, but if it creates a scenario where the NCAA allows transfers up to X given number independent of the 25 man recruit cap, I'll gladly take it. 

I think we sign 2 of the 2022 WR's in addition to Winfield for 3 total. I think we'll see some portal out from current WR's and we will hit the portal to replace them/build. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think we sign 2 of the 2022 WR's in addition to Winfield for 3 total. I think we'll see some portal out from current WR's and we will hit the portal to replace them/build. 

If things continue like they have started, we should have our pick of top WRs in the portal and we should be an obvious destination for the top OTs as well. They did a great job at LB this cycle in the portal, next year my hope is that we can fill up those rooms in similar fashion. Especially if we whiff on Stewart and Thompson.  

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

If things continue like they have started, we should have our pick of top WRs in the portal and we should be an obvious destination for the top OTs as well. They did a great job at LB this cycle in the portal, next year my hope is that we can fill up those rooms in similar fashion. Especially if we whiff on Stewart and Thompson.  

We may need another EDGE guy next year as well.  Maybe Collins plays at that position permanently?  Ovie will be back, but after him??  Maybe Dorbah is in the 2-deep next year and one of the RS FR step up.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Is it Banks’ or Anderson’s inner circle that was face timing with Sark shortly after Saturday’s win? Can’t remember which $9.95er said it would be addressed in 3-4 weeks. 

8 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sure, maybe. I won't be surprised if they don't push for 4 WRs in this class. Add a couple of guys in the portal, retain Worthy, Moore and Whittington, and they'd probably be okay with 4-5 more guys leaving. 

The depth chart shows 11 scholarship WRs currently on the roster. I *think* when Sarkisian showed up, he commented that Texas had 14 scholarship WRs and that that was too many. Since then, Worthy joined the team and multiple guys have left, including Lewis, Chokehold Buttfuck, Smith, and ... someone else obvious that I am forgetting who sucked. 

So what's next? They have Winfield and let's assume they hang on to him. Let's say they add 2 more via this cycle. Now they're at 14 again. Graduating, they'll lose Estell, a non-factor. So other exits would have to come via attrition. I assume Woodard is a graduation candidate and he may decide he's done or looking for a shot somewhere else. Apply the same logic to Washington. Now you're at 3 gone and that's back to a headcount of 11. It doesn't take much to get to 8 from there, if they want that. Cain gets processed, Alexis med ships or gets processed, Omeire gets a med ship, and Moore goes pro (idiotically). Maybe Harrison gets processed. 

I doubt they want to be relying on a bunch of freshmen, so if their target is to have 10 on scholarship, yeah, take 3 in this class and get a star/producer from the portal for a year. Worthy/Moore/Whittington/Stewart/Transfer plus some depth via developing youth and a reliable hanger-on or two would be a decent WR group for 2022. Got to get Stewart and hang on to the other guys.

• Hook 'Em 5

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting