Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

By: IT Staff

[Stay tuned for much more today. We'll have a Devin Brown feature this morning, Lander Barton today or tomorrow, plus we're shooting for a team portion later today after practice]

RB BLUES?

Texas has two tailbacks verbally committed for the 2022 class, Tyler Legacy’s Jamarion Miller and Klein Cain’s Jaydon Blue.

Let’s start with Miller. After telling IT over the last few months he’d like to take a few visits to various schools, the On3 No. 94 overall prospect (94 score) appeared in Tuscaloosa on Saturday for an official visit to Alabama. The Crimson Tide have understandably had his attention since they offered.

After seeing the sights of Tuscaloosa, it seems Texas is still his school of choice. Will he take any more trips? That’s hard to say. But after catching up with those close to Miller, playing closer to home and his mother appear to be holding steady.

He maintains a strong relationship with Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris, and his core circle of family definitely prefer the 512 area code. At the end of the day, it’ll be Jamarion’s decision and for now, it’s still Texas. Texas just has to hang on until the December 14th early signing period.

As for Jaydon Blue, trying to figure out his next move might be an exercise in futility. The rumors began a little over a week ago, and then a Zoom with Steve Sarkisian and Stan Drayton was intended to smooth over any rough edges. With his recent scrubbing of Texas on his new social media accounts, it brings hesitancy he'll land in this class. (he does still have his commitment announcement pinned to his Twitter profile)

As we reported last week, Drayton reached out to Newton's 5-foot-11, 220-pound running back DeAnthony Gatson. The former USC pledge picked the Trojans over UT, Baylor, and Michigan in June. Drayton told the Newton staff if a scholarship or spot at tailback opened up, Gatson could very well get a phone call. Until that happens, I'd pencil him into the Baylor class.

QUICK HITTERS

Ohio State commit Terrance Brooks (Little Elm) continues to have communication with Texas. The Longhorns have been pushing hard in recent weeks, and the On3 5-star is listening. IT isn’t saying a flip is going to happen, but Brooks is continuing to listen. Alabama and Oregon also have not given up. A new school is trying to enter the picture, and that is No. 1 ranked Georgia. There is a chance Brooks makes his way to Austin in November.

The Longhorns also continue to try and work on Texas A&M commit Bryce Anderson (Beaumont, Texas/West Brook). The Aggies win over Alabama combined with Texas collapses against Oklahoma and Oklahoma State aren’t making this one easy. Texas was making some headway prior to the last two losses.

Texas defensive line coach Bo Davis made a stop at Southaven last week to see Aaron Bryant according to a source in Mississippi. The On300 defensive tackle is said to be solid in his commitment to Texas with an eye on making an impact early. That doesn’t mean Ole Miss just throws in the towel, but the Longhorns continue to be solid with the commitment.

There is growing confidence on the Michigan State side with On300 wide receiver and Texas verbal Armani Winfield(Lewisville, Texas). Does IT believe a flip is imminent? Not necessarily, but the Spartans have some confidence.

On3's No. 240 player in the 2023 class, tight end Jaden Platt, was visited by Texas tight ends coach Jeff Banks last week. He's a want in the class, along with Jaden Greathouse (Austin Westlake) and Will Randle (Isidore Newman). Texas wouldn't have room for all three but Platt could be a difficult prospect to land. He profiles to Stanford and if there's one position the Cardinal can sell, it's tight end. Along with Stanford and Texas, Platt also likes Notre Dame, another school with good academics and tight end usage.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells:

When hitting the highways of Utah, where the scenery of snow and mountains is simply gorgeous, IT headed to Draper City to visit Texas target Devin Brown.

The 6-foot-3, 190-pound signal-caller can spin it, so it's easy to see why he's received so much recruiting attention since USC's Clay Helton was relieved of his duties. While Brown remains committed to the Trojans, there are schools lining up to receiver one of his remaining official trips, including Texas.

He's also trying to attempt something very few high school quarterbacks have ever accomplished; throwing for 3,000 yards in two different states. After notching 3,080 yards passing in his last two season at Queen Creek (Ariz.), he's approaching that same mark at Corner Canyon in 2021.

"I’ve developed quite a bit physically over the last year," said Brown. "I’ve grown into my body a lot more so I’ve gotten a lot stronger. I think my confidence in what I’m able to do with my arm and my legs has increased significantly. That’s really helped my game. There really isn’t a throw that I don’t feel confident in trying to make now. That helps me take some shots that I may not have taken before. Any time you can push the ball downfield like we have this year, it opens up a ton underneath. That’s probably the biggest difference in my game now from previous years. It also helps that I have four of the best high school receivers in the country to throw to and an offensive line that does an amazing job of protecting me.

His recruitment began way before we really knew him. At No. 63 on the On300 prospect rankings (95 score), it was a trip to Texas that helped put him on the national stage.

"The attention really started to pick up for me at the Elite 11 regional in Houston," said Brown. "I think I caught a lot of people by surprise at what I was able to do competing against all of the top ranked QB’s. I’ve always been firm about my commitment to USC and wasn’t willing to even hear other schools out prior to Coach (Clay) Helton being let go. When I decided to at least hear other schools out, I kind of expected to hear from quite a few schools. Most of the top ranked guys are committed so there aren’t a ton of uncommitted guys at this point to try and talk to. Because of that, I wasn’t totally surprised."

Texas offered last week after engaging in talks over the last month or so. He's so intrigued by Sarkisian and UT's offense, he instantly booked a trip to Austin for an official visit in November.

"Coach Sarkisian’s resume definitely speaks for itself it terms of what he’s done to develop QB’s for the next level," said Brown. "He’s coached the best of the best. For him to see me as a guy that he would want to develop says a lot to me. When I visit a school, it’s about meeting a coach in person and seeing how I feel like I could mesh with that coach and thrive under that coach and his staff. As for Coach Sarkisian’s message to me, all I would ever want to from a coach is that I would be given a fair opportunity to compete for a job."

Ole Miss and Ohio State are lurking. His recent trip to Oxford (Miss.) checked a lot of boxes, and he'll potentially see Columbus (Oh.) in late November, early December. I feel like he still wants to sign in the early period on December 14th, but I get the sense he'd like to see what happens at Southern Cal. Either way, we know Texas would like to add another quarterback to this class and getting him to Austin will be very telling in how this plays out. Stay tuned.

• Hook 'Em 3

54 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I can't get my hopes up. I feel like 9 wins is too much to ask. That means I am going to be pissed at least one more time in the next few weeks. 

If you are banking on a five game winning streak to close out the season to go 9-3, I would go ahead and reset those expectations now. Let’s just hope we look back on this like Nick Saban’s first year with laughter as we roll through whatever conference we are in next year. 

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I can't get my hopes up. I feel like 9 wins is too much to ask. That means I am going to be pissed at least one more time in the next few weeks. 

Hahahahahaha

What the fuck? You are still holding out hope for a 9 win season? I'm crossing my fingers that Texas can get bowl eligible.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahahaha

What the fuck? You are still holding out hope for a 9 win season? I'm crossing my fingers that Texas can get bowl eligible.

No shit. Hell, I'm hoping we can somehow eke out a big win over our conference peer Baylor...good grief.  Maybe we can pad our last decade one-game conference win lead over them.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

SP+ has it at like 5%, so it's almost guaranteed not to happen.

• 25% for 8 wins
  • 38% for 7 wins
  • 26% for 6 wins

the average is 7.0 wins.

Hold On GIF

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

SP+ has it at like 5%, so it's almost guaranteed not to happen.

• 25% for 8 wins
  • 38% for 7 wins
  • 26% for 6 wins

the average is 7.0 wins.

This seems about right to me. And I don't think ending up 7-5 is a recruiting nightmare by itself in a coach's first year, but losing 4 in a row would be a big problem. Gotta break the skid.

Next year we need to go at least 9-3, which should happen. Big 12 teams that are loaded with seniors this year so even if we don't get a lot better (which I think we will) conference schedule should be easier. I could see us at 10-2 even with a Bama loss which would drum up a lot of hype.

Am I wrong or does it seem like NLI has tipped recruiting timing back to where kids tend to keep a longer timeline. Especially at the top. Just seems like this cycle more really hot prospects are taking their time and “enjoying the process” when it seemed for a while earlier commitments were more common. Not a 9.95er and have no data so I’m not really insistent on this, I could be totally off. 

With a Vegas O/U of 7.5, I had us at 8-4. Then I drank the kool-aid after TCU and went to 9-3. After two thorough bed shittings, I’m at 7-5. 

Make no mistake, it’s hurting recruiting. We suck until we don’t, and there are some elite players who like us but want to see improvement. 

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

With a Vegas O/U of 7.5, I had us at 8-4. Then I drank the kool-aid after TCU and went to 9-3. After two thorough bed shittings, I’m at 7-5. 

Make no mistake, it’s hurting recruiting. We suck until we don’t, and there are some elite players who like us but want to see improvement. 

How you feeling on Evan Stewart post-Aggy visit?

25 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Next year we need to go at least 9-3, which should happen. Big 12 teams that are loaded with seniors this year so even if we don't get a lot better (which I think we will) conference schedule should be easier. I could see us at 10-2 even with a Bama loss which would drum up a lot of hype.

Next year does set up nice, assuming we are still in the Big 12, which currently looks likely.  We'll have an aggy-like schedule with only four true road games @ both Kansas schools, Tech, and OK Lite.  OK Lite probably the hardest of those four, but lose a lot of experienced guys.  Not sure if Sanders will be back?

ISU and Baylor are very Sr/Super Sr heavy.

Alabama hardly ever plays true road games early and they are going to lose a ton on defense, but Young returns.

The only ones we lose on offense will be Brewer and Kerstetter and I bet/hope we fill some via transfer.

If Sark can't win 10+ next year then we'll continue to dwell in mediocrity.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

6 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Portal baby! Pitch playing time to guys that have been around the block and value the opportunity Texas provides.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

How you feeling on Evan Stewart post-Aggy visit?

Still fine, but people should understand it was in his best interest to get them involved. His recruitment is being handled very intentionally by his camp. He believes he’s an elite prospect, and believes elite prospects command certain consideration from suitors. A&M is more than happy to make us work for it. 

40 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

Still fine, but people should understand it was in his best interest to get them involved. His recruitment is being handled very intentionally by his camp. He believes he’s an elite prospect, and believes elite prospects command certain consideration from suitors. A&M is more than happy to make us work for it. 

Makes sense from his side. Curious if we're at risk of not doing what it takes compared to A&M. Given the history of his recruitment, I assume he'd rather go to UT if we provide the same consideration as them. 

55 minutes ago, Barbacoa said:

I imagine this is how his intro convo with A&M went.

money-stacks.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Am I wrong or does it seem like NLI has tipped recruiting timing back to where kids tend to keep a longer timeline. Especially at the top. Just seems like this cycle more really hot prospects are taking their time and “enjoying the process” when it seemed for a while earlier commitments were more common. Not a 9.95er and have no data so I’m not really insistent on this, I could be totally off. 

Agreed, seems like pay per visit also has kids skipping senior season to be able to fit in more games...

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

You give him a week?

I was going to say "Yeah, wayyyy less chance he'd get yelled at on a lake and drunkenly break into someone's house and threaten them" and then was all "wait, half of Austin's party scene is on Lake Travis" and that theory fell apart.  So yeah, you right, less than a week

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting