Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

The thumb and good defenses kind of went hand and hand this year.

QBR/Rating - prior to thumb: 79/182; after thumb: 43/105

I guess what stands out is that he underperformed TCU's average prior to hurting his thumb.  He outperformed BU, KU, KSU averages after hurting his thumb (but he clearly wasn't throwing the ball as well in these games -  so fuck stats?).

I didnt see a big performance change based on the thumb. All year my expectations for him were based on the defenses' quality. That seemed to be a lot more accurate than he was. This is the reason why Casey's QBR is so low, despite leading the Big 12 in TDs. 14 of 24 TDs came from against defenses ranked 109th and lower (Rice, Tech, TCU, and Kansas).. 

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Only thing concerning me about Casey's thumb right now is that it's stuck up in the air somewhere on the north-bound side of 35.

Funny, my only concern about Casey's thumb is that right now it's NOT stuck up in the air somewhere on the north-bound side of 35.

I'd also accept the south-bound side, fwiw. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Recently we have recruited at a top 10 level under Herman and Strong and mostly got barely top 25 results from that recruiting.

Point to consider:   Maybe our way forward is not to jump to top 5 recruiting to fix our issues.  Maybe we need to focus on developing what we have and what we get which is still better than most programs even in the SEC.

Development takes time though.  There is a reason middle schools run the same offense as the high school they feed to.  Development takes time.  How long have our guys been running their offense and defense?

If we can start delivering results near our recruiting rankings then I think we can say we have solved our development issues.

Once recruits see real developmental results it should get easier to beat the rap on us that we waste talent.

I'm not knocking rooting for a great recruiting class.  It would really help.  It would speed up the process for sure.

But I don't think it's the main issue our program faces.

• Hook 'Em 2

In on the 8’s…..

Patience with the portal.  Most kids take a few weeks to decide where they are going.  It would be nice to pick up a legit WR, 2 OL, 1LB, 1 DE, 1 S and 2 CB’s.  If we can snag a QB who can legitimately start, I am all for it.  

I think Evan Stewart going full retard and committing to aggy is the most aggy thing I have seen in years.  

• Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, bevotee said:

A guy with a foot out the door doesn't play the last meaningless game with an injured thumb and an OL that gets him pasted on every passing down.

Honestly I don't get the Casey hate.  Sure he made mistakes, but he carried us against OU, was the only reason we were in the KU game, and before he was injured he looked like a Heisman candidate.  All that with 1 WR, no OL, and a running game that vanished when we needed it.  He's no Vince or Colt, but he's better than either of the QBs who led their teams to the B12 CG.

Worthy and Bijan carried us against OU. Casey was the benefactor of that, but when asked to do more he crumbled under the pressure.

3 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

if we can get Preston or Law that would be pretty damn awesome. Dewberry is possibly on commit watch today.  Reeling him in would set a fantastic floor with this OL class. Sark, flood and Banks are scheduled to visit with him this afternoon.

Dewberry? Most feel if it's not a top 2 then it's aggy. Preston and Law would be impressive, which is why it's probably not happening.

Edited by Viper

7 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

if we can get Preston or Law that would be pretty damn awesome. Dewberry is possibly on commit watch today.  Reeling him in would set a fantastic floor with this OL class. Sark, flood and Banks are scheduled to visit with him this afternoon.

I’ve read the Dewberry is leaning aggy. Have you seen something different 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't buy the thumb excuse with Thompson. He threw fluttering ducks well before the supposed injury all the way back to last year. He's just not an elite QB. Most aren't, that's not really an insult.

and there is this. He has a pretty weak arm, that is kind of a big deal in Sark's offense. There is also the fact Casey finished dead last in Ints per attempt in the Big 12 with 1 pick per 29 attempts. 

So, quarterbacks perform better against bad defenses than they do against good ones. I've been watching this game for decades and never thought of that.

I wonder if it's true for running backs as well. 

While the QB room in general is pertinent to recruiting, I don't know that extended Football Board villification of current players really fits here. If you've said it more than ten times on the Football Board, you probably don't need to say it more than once here.

I don't think Casey is a great QB, but he can be adequate. I don't know why we're tossing in the towel with Card who really shouldn't get final judgment until he has a little more experience dealing with an awful OL.

Herman fumbled the Ewers recruitment. Sark is playing from behind on this year's QBs. I'm encouraged by CTJ's certainty of an upgrade for next season.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I don't buy the thumb excuse with Thompson. He threw fluttering ducks well before the supposed injury all the way back to last year. He's just not an elite QB. Most aren't, that's not really an insult.

So I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion here, but in hindsight there was a pretty steep drop-off from "the dude who literally scores on every possession" to whatever the fuck we saw the last half of the season, and it coincided almost exactly with the thumb injury.  Might be a coincidence, but tough to ignore.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So I don't necessarily disagree with your conclusion here, but in hindsight there was a pretty steep drop-off from "the dude who literally scores on every possession" to whatever the fuck we saw the last half of the season, and it coincided almost exactly with the thumb injury.  Might be a coincidence, but tough to ignore.

He played against better defenses. he was throwing those same fluttering ducks against Rice. It was ugly to watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

This. Casey is an above average qb. Stats-wise, he had the best season by qbr of any Texas qb since Colt. With the worst WR corps (outside of worthy, they are) and worst OL in school history, he did as best he could. Add in the thumb injury, and of course he petered out as the season went on

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

(Ian Boyd) Inside the gameplan: Texas' transfer portal Christmas list

Texas beat Kansas State last week. You may have forgotten because an awful lot has happened since then.

There were a few interesting dimensions to the game for Texas, who had to play a different lineup in order to put their best foot forward and have a chance to win this game. As it turned out, the game was really won for them when Kansas State’s “Skylar Thompson can’t play…” contingency was to have Deuce Vaughn do everything while Will Howard got a couple of option reads to pull the ball on stretch or to pull it and throw a bubble screen or hitch.

Anyways, we got to see more of players who will be important in 2022 such as linebackers Jaylan Ford and David Gbenda and offensive lineman Hayden Conner. Everyone has opinions on what Texas needs to do in order to reshape a roster that just went 5-7. To have an immediate impact, you generally need to look to the portal to add veterans who can start immediately. As you dive into portal recruiting madness over the coming months, consider the following…

Texas’ roster strengths

There are a number of positions on this team which are in really good shape. Texas’ 5-7 record and second-to-last finish in the Big 12 was really more indicative of a mentally weak team lacking leadership than a bottom shelf Big 12 roster. Texas’ point margin in Big 12 games was -9. They lost five games by a possession, were blown out once, blew out a team, and won two games by a single possession. In other words, they were right there with everyone else in the league and lacked the leadership on the field to make a few key plays here or there to turn the tide and win.

Many of the strengths are obvious, we’ll start with the two biggest, deep threat wide receiver and running back. A deep threat wide receiver is one of the most valuable positions an offense can field. It’s not as difficult to run the football when the defense is worried about staying on top of an elite receiver and it’s much easier to get a possession receiver open underneath. You can score points in bunches when there’s a true deep shot dimension to the offense.

Xavier Worthy in year one was already one of the best wide receivers Texas has fielded this century and stands to improve considerably in 2022 for a number of reasons, not least of which is the opportunity to hone his craft in his first full offseason with Steve Sarkisian.

Benefitting underneath from the attention Worthy can draw is one of the nation’s better running back rooms. Bijan Robinson is as special a back as you’ll find, Roschon Johnson is a hard-nosed back-up who specializes in the Wildcat, Kielan Robinson brings a homerun threat, and Jonathon Brooks could be the next feature back after Bijan goes pro. Two things Sark wants to do on offense are chuck it deep and run over whatever the defense leaves in the box with a power run game. You can scarcely do better at the tip of the spear than Xavier Worthy and Bijan Robinson.

On the other side of the ball, defensive tackle is another strength. Texas could see some big revisions to the roster with a number of players’ future up in the air, but they’re likely to at least return Alfred Collins, Moro Ojomo, Vernon Broughton, Byron Murphy, and Sawyer Goram-Welch while adding several talented freshmen in the incoming class.

It wasn’t obvious this season how solid Texas’ interior D-line was because the rest of the defense had so many issues, but they’re a very talented group and could be the envy of the league next season with a good offseason and some adjustments around them.

Those are three really nice strengths to have as a roster and Texas can definitely stand out in the Big 12 with a deep threat receiver and strong interior D-line if they build around them more effectively than they did in 2021. Adding another deep threat receiver would be terrific, it’s hard to have too many if you’re going to major in run game, RPOs, and play-action. So they would do well to add another, but it’s already a strength. Speaking of positions where Texas would do well to add…

An upgrade would be nice but not essential…

It’s very difficult to upgrade an offensive line through the transfer portal. If you’re 6-foot-4, 300+ pounds, and a legitimate athlete with skill and grit in the blocking game, you’re almost definitely starting for your current team and consequently aren’t looking for a new program. There are exceptions, potential transfers in the portal from Wisconsin and Alabama could be reasonably surmised to be talented players with the ability to help a team like Texas.

Generally the best transfers on the O-line are G5 and FCS players moving up who have already been dominating at a lower level, not the P5 transfer who can’t find a starting spot anywhere on the line. The good news for Texas is they are more in need of talent and depth along the offensive line than immediate starters. The 2020 class added four linemen to the program who all could still prove valuable but 2021 added just two more. Back-filling the 2021 class with some extra talent would be unquestionably valuable for this team.

Texas is quietly pretty solid on the offensive line, despite the common perception about the current state of the program. They aren’t nationally elite, but they don’t need to be elite. Honestly, they don’t even need to get close to being elite until they reach the SEC. Who had the best offensive line in the Big 12 this season? Certainly wasn’t Oklahoma State, who’s favored to win the title. Perhaps their competition in the title game, the Baylor Bears? The Bears were dreadful on the O-line last year and made a massive leap by adding transfers from Buffalo and Vanderbilt, changing schemes, improving the coaching, and developing the existing roster.

The Longhorns were an awful lot better than the 2020 Baylor Bears on the O-line in 2021 and return Christian Jones, Jake Majors, and Junior Angilau as full-time starters and Andrej Karic and Hayden Conner as up and comers. Any good additions would be helpful but between those five and whatever they can get from another year of coaching Jaylen Garth, Logan Parr, Isaiah Hookfin, and Max Merrill could reasonably produce a good line. Again, the need is more for depth and a talented 2022 class to build the future than for a complete overhaul and line change across the five.

It’s a similar tale at wide receiver. With another year of coaching, the group of Marcus Washington, Kelvontay Dixon, Troy Omeire, Jaden Alexis, Casey Cain, Dajon Harrison, and Jordan Whittington (if he doesn’t move positions) is certainly liable to produce some contributions. You can’t count out young receivers, particularly for roles like “possession receiver,” “no. 2 double move target when teams bracket Worthy,” and “RPO target.”

Those are roles which tend to be more about technical skill and schematic knowhow than pure athleticism. Should Texas aim to add a star receiver through the portal? Absolutely. But they could have the best offense in the league without one if the names above develop like they should in a strong program.

I’ve probably already lost some people by detailing how the offense isn’t too far away and doesn’t need a quick fix, but the next two may be even more controversial. Texas isn’t in terrible shape, roster-wise, at any of the defensive back positions. Particularly not if they add 5-star football player Jordan Whittington to the safety room. The problem isn’t the athleticism or even necessarily the skill of the defensive back room. Would the unit be better if they added a star like Eli Ricks from LSU? Yes, a press-man cornerback is worth his weight in gold.

Overall, the problem on the back end was a combination of:

• Incohesive play
  • Passive scheme (you shouldn’t play both your cornerbacks AND your safeties at depth)
  • An obvious struggle to give the safeties simpler rules and positioning to support the myriad of fronts and stunts Pete Kwiatkowski was running.

Toward the latter end of the year, and when it was reported in the Humidor how things worked in Washington, it was clear why the marriage wasn’t working. Blake Gideon wanted to disguise coverages, Terry Joseph wanted to play back in quarters, and Pete Kwiatkowski had a soft brand of quarters installed while running a wide variety of fronts and stunts which could spill the ball in different fashions. Add the extra chaotic element of poor linebacker fits on the edge and interior and you had a recipe for total disaster. The safeties had too much on their plates and were ineffective.

Overall a room with D’Shawn Jamison, Jahdae Barron, Kitan Crawford, and Ishmael Ibraheem at corner and then Anthony Cook, Jerrin Thompson, Chris Adimora, and J.D. Coffey at safety should be capable of being one of the top units in the Big 12.

Finally, tight end is an interesting position for Texas heading into 2022. Jared Wiley retweeting the news of Billy Napier’s hire at Florida along with a cryptic tweet about new beginnings has to make one wonder if he plans to be back in burnt orange next season. Cade Brewer will definitely be moving on after using up his eligibility. For the staff to aim to add a tight end shouldn’t be a great shock.

The style of tight end they brought in, should they do so, would be pretty indicative of where the offense is heading in 2022. A more RPO-heavy attack wouldn’t need as much emphasis on blocking in 12 personnel as we saw in 2021, which combined with a good offseason from Gunnar Helm in the blocking game could allow Texas to look to add more explosiveness.

Texas must open the portal and find…

Texas wasn’t very good at inside linebacker in 2021. I think it’s possible they could solve the issue by moving Roschon Johnson from running back and continuing to coach up Jaylan Ford, David Gbenda, Luke Brockermeyer, and to a lesser extent Devin Richardson. Perhaps moving Jett Bush here would also solve some of their problems.

The problem is it’s not clear they have an impact player at inside linebacker unless DeMarvion Overshown returns and has a healthy offseason. In that case, Texas could be in pretty good shape. Barring Roschon or Overshown coming to rescue, they’d do well to at least add a veteran through the portal from a lower level who knows how to find the ball without a four-count created by defensive holding up front.

Texas also needs to get substantially better on the edge next season. You can’t be a good 3-4/2-4-5 defense without really good outside linebackers and you will struggle to name a team who made the Big 12 Championship in the last few years who couldn’t get to the quarterback with their base 3/4-man pass-rush. Here’s how Washington’s linebackers performed statistically in the final full season of Pete Kwiatkowski’s coordination (2019) compared to Texas’ linebacker play in 2021.

image.png

Texas actually had MORE production from their inside linebackers than did the 2019 Huskies, but this was largely because they played a lot of 3-4 defense with essentially three defensive tackles playing in front of them and asked those tackles to eat blocks and hold linemen so the linebackers would have a chance.

Add up the totals and you have 29 tackles for loss and 19 sacks from the Husky front and 32 tackles for loss but only nine sacks from the Texas group. Also, the Huskies barely played any base 3-4 defense in 2019 so they effectively have one fewer player contributing to these cumulative totals than the 2021 Longhorns.

The last point is the key. Texas had to play a lot of base 3-4 defense because their Edge players (Oghoufo and Thornton) weren’t big and couldn’t box in the edges effectively. This lead to limited coverage options behind them, as you can’t ask a true outside linebacker like Oghoufo to do more than a few things, and also less speed on the field to run down ballcarriers when someone inevitably missed a run fit.

Whether Texas overhauls the scheme next season with a new staff or runs back the same base fronts, they badly need Edge defenders. The Longhorns return Oghoufo, Jett Bush, and Alfred Collins if he sticks at Jack linebacker. There are several candidates in the freshman class, but the Edge position in a 3-4 defense has a lot of responsibilities and it’s not a simple role to master for underclassmen. From last year’s class they have Barryn Sorrell (6-foot-3, 246 pounds), David Abiara (6-foot-4, 256 pounds), and D.J. Harris (6-foot-2, 226 pounds).

Improvement is a must but Texas could get a massive boost by adding a pass-rushing Edge through the portal if one could be found. Finally, there’s one other position which would have a massive impact on the 2022 Longhorns. In an offense with Bijan Robinson commanding defensive attention against the run, Xavier Worthy running behind defenses out wide, and Sark orchestrating it all, a solid pro-style passer should easily throw for 3,000 yards.

Casey Thompson with another year in the system and a healthier right thumb could obviously be effective. However his smaller frame, limited arm strength, and limited pocket awareness give him very little margin for staying healthy and maximizing in this system. Hudson Card showed flashes but didn’t put it all together and also managed to incur a multi-week injury in limited action. While he demonstrated more ability than many thought with his opportunities, he also quietly revealed a poor knack for protecting himself.

If Texas could add a good, ready-made pocket passer for spring practice they could at least insure themselves against a transfer or lack of growth from the current two signal-callers and potentially be adding an All-Big 12 candidate.

The easiest way for Sark to help Texas out of their current hole is to lean into his own strengths as an offensive play-caller and quarterbacks coach and field a 3,000-yard passer who weaponizes the Longhorn roster and allows them to win blowouts and shootouts regardless of whether the defense improves to a top 40 unit or not. The portal has produced such players before. We’ll see what Santa can do for Texas this Christmas.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I specifically remember one TD pass in the Tech game that seemed to float forever. And thinking, “Jesus, how on Earth did Tech allow that to be completed?” Their defense was so bad in that game.

Just now, Burntcowboy said:

Bot giving up but we need a solid contributor next year, not a project 

Yeah, I view him as a project who could turn into a badass with that arm for his Junior and Senior seasons. We are in big trouble if we're relying on him next year unless we magically find 5 experienced badass 5* OL in the port who can protect him. Dude is not mobile, he'll get killed behind our current OL.

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

So, quarterbacks perform better against bad defenses than they do against good ones. I've been watching this game for decades and never thought of that.

I wonder if it's true for running backs as well. 

While the QB room in general is pertinent to recruiting, I don't know that extended Football Board villification of current players really fits here. If you've said it more than ten times on the Football Board, you probably don't need to say it more than once here.

I don't think Casey is a great QB, but he can be adequate. I don't know why we're tossing in the towel with Card who really shouldn't get final judgment until he has a little more experience dealing with an awful OL.

Herman fumbled the Ewers recruitment. Sark is playing from behind on this year's QBs. I'm encouraged by CTJ's certainty of an upgrade for next season.

Preforming worse vs bad defense is expected. The issue is the deviation. Completing 56% of your passes for 6.11 per attempt and having more picks than TDs, is not merely playing worse. That is a performance that makes any hopes of winning DOA. I agree on Card. That one is probably more on a psychiatrist, than Sark. His talent is pretty obvious, but he showed an alarming response to adversity. He definitely showed more resiliency in the WV game. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Roschon to LB? WTF, he is likely to make a NFL roster as a RB, why move him to LB?

Because he'll do it, and he might be badass at it.

(the above is not an endorsement of moving ROJO to LB, but an overall endorsement of ROJO himself, the greatest Texas Longhorn football player of all time)

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Roschon to LB? WTF, he is likely to make a NFL roster as a RB, why move him to LB?

I honestly had the thought that they should move him there at the end of last season. He has a really good build for the position and is a very smart player, he may not have the athleticism that Overshown has but I'd take that over a LB that just guesses every play.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Ian Boyd

i think I’d we still had Miller committed sure. But with a RB room of Bijan, Brooks, and Blue you’re an injury or two away from him being a necessity. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

16 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I would point out that most of that "greatness" occurred playing in scrub time vs ULL and Ark and vs Rice (112th in DFEI) and Tech (109th in DFEI). You can say it was the thumb, but I think it is way more likely it was going from terrible defenses to facing OSU (#2), Baylor (#20), ISU (#24), WV (#45), and KSU (#25).. Of course there was the 6 TD performance was sandwiched between the dreadful performances and that was vs Kansas (#127)

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Codaxx said:

I would point out that most of that "greatness" occurred playing in scrub time vs ULL and Ark and vs Rice (112th in DFEI) and Tech (109th in DFEI). You can say it was the thumb, but I think it is way more likely it was going from terrible defenses to facing OSU (#2), Baylor (#20), ISU (#24), WV (#45), and KSU (#25).. Of course there was the 6 TD performance was sandwiched between the dreadful performances and that was vs Kansas (#127)

Both QBs on campus are dog shit. Let’s move on. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Both QBs on campus are dog shit. Let’s move on. 

No matter where someone's opinion is on Card or Casey, I think the season proved that at a minimum Sark needs to bring in an experienced QB to compete for the starting job next year. 

1 minute ago, EZ$ said:

Whittington to safety is also interesting….too bad he’s our 2nd best WR and gets hurt playing the softest position on the field already. 

I think the argument is that he might have better injury luck as the guy handing out the hits as opposed to the guy receiving them.  I don't know how legitimate that argument is.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

and continuing to coach up Jaylan Ford, David Gbenda, Luke Brockermeyer, and to a lesser extent Devin Richardson. 

How about they remove their fucking heads from their asses and actually play the best players? Note the stats for Brockermeyer and Ford in the graphic above. Brockermeyer 72 tkl 5.5 TFL vs. Ford 53 tkl - 6 TFL.  Why am I noting that? Well, Brockermeyer played right near 500 snaps while Ford played 340 and that number was greatly skewed by him being forced into the rotation with Brockermeyer's injury. 

This isn't the only position where that bore out. This defensive staff was terrible at every facet this season but by far the most egregious was having the best players standing on the sideline while a pack of fucking spares was getting fuckstomped on the field. 

19 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Perhaps moving Jett Bush here would also solve some of their problems.

rage GIF

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Blake Gideon wanted to disguise coverages, Terry Joseph wanted to play back in quarters, and Pete Kwiatkowski had a soft brand of quarters installed while running a wide variety of fronts and stunts

One coach that understands the current CFB  landscape and his current roster and two old school meatheads that haven't evolved beyond what they were teaching in the 90s. checks out. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, turtlepond said:

Dewberry is a heavy lean, if not already silently committed, to aggy.

I'd be thrilled to be wrong about my statement, though

32 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

I’ve read the Dewberry is leaning aggy. Have you seen something different 

He is definitely not committed rn, and I wouldn't call him a heavy lean at all. Aggy insiders have no idea what to expect. The recent article of him talking about his imminent decision and comparing Texas with A&M made it very clear he has a great relationship with Sark & Flood and is most intrigued by the prospect of early PT. He believes in Flood's ability to develop him into an NFL player(probably the most important thing). He also mentioned the "group" pitch that some 9.95ers have mentioned. The only school that could happen at is Texas since DJ Campbell is not going to A&M. Lastly, in the article, he pretty much restated word for word Sark's recruiting pitches in previous press conferences. He is receptive to the Texas's vision and is set to meet with UT coaches today on a day where it's possible he will announce. Those are the reasons for optimism with his recruitment, but admittedly no one has a good read at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 6

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting