Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Anybody got Mike Roach's report on LTG that was just put out? 

IT still has LTG favored to commit to UT in today's Humidor.

Post the Humidor and I'll post Roach's.

Spoiler

SAN ANTONIO — Larry Turner-Gooden will make his college decision live on NBC at the All-American Bowl tomorrow.

The four-star safety from Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany will choose from 35 offers and announcing at the game has always been a dream of his.

"I'm very excited," he said. "This is a dream. I'm just living up to the moment and going day by day. It's been a big dream. I grew up watching this game and had family members that played in it. Even though I can't play in it I'm looking forward to the moment."

Turner-Gooden didn't play this season after suffering a shoulder injury. Instead of working through the pain, Turner-Gooden decided to undergo surgery to repair it before enrolling early and competing for playing time as a freshman.

"I dislocated my shoulder," he said. "I took care of it early so I could be ready for college. I chose not to play so I could have a better chance of playing this year."

The hat dance is a time-honored tradition in commitment announcements. Texas will be joined on the table by USC, Penn State, Maryland and Colorado as the finalists for Turner-Gooden. While some of these announcements can get out of hand with theatrics, Turner-Gooden plans to make his announcement in a straightforward manner.

"I'm not going to do that," he said. "I'm not that type of guy."

Texas has been a player from the time Steve Sarkisian and his staff arrived in Austin. Turner-Gooden committed to Arizona State back in the spring, but Texas never gave in. Turner-Gooden said the relationship with the staff put them in his group of finalists.

"The relationship got real strong with the new coaching staff coming in," Turner-Gooden said. "My personal recruiter is Blake Gideon. We built a good relationship and I already had a good relationship with Sark. That whole process with Texas, they treat me right and tell me right from wrong. That's the same as every coaching staff, so I just have to talk with my parents and see what the best decision is for me."

Gideon's style of recruiting resonated with several prospects in this class. Turner-Gooden said the former Texas safety is genuine and authentic.

"He's straightforward," he said. "He's a good family man and if you're one of his he'll take care of you."

Turner-Gooden played both ways in high school and has the ability to play in a couple of different positions within the secondary. When asked about his fit, Turner-Gooden said he just wants to get on the field.

"I'm an athlete," he said. "I think I fit wherever I can get in and fit in. As long as I'm on the field making plays that's the best for me."

The Longhorns have been recruiting hard on the west coast. Turner-Gooden's good friend Maalik Murphy has been a voice in his ear talking up Texas.

"They've been on my bumper," he said. "You hear from guys everywhere but you just have to play it out your way."

The toughest part of any recruitment is having to tell coaches you aren't going to be attending their school. Turner-Gooden said while it was tough, it's part of growing up.

"The hardest part was definitely calling the coaches and telling them I'm not going to their school," he said. "It's been a good process and I appreciate every coach and their staff that recruited me. Especially since all this portal stuff is going crazy. It's been a big blessing to be recruited and taking all of my trips. I just have to be a man and tell them I'm not going to their school. You never know where they will end up and I've still got a good relationship with each coaching staff."

Turner-Gooden will enroll at the school of his choice next week. He's been hard at work training off the field to stay in shape and strengthen his shoulder.

"Definitely," he said. "I still do my physical training making sure I'm straight. As soon as I get on campus I'm still going to do what I can on my shoulder to make it stronger, so the spring season is going to be crazy for me."

On the field, Turner-Gooden said he's put in the work to play the position. Going forward he just wants to keep honing those skills.

"I sit down and watch film," he said. "I work my craft. It's just about getting better at what I do. Just keep working on what I'm already working on and if it's something I don't know, I need to learn it."

At 6-feet, 179 pounds, Turner-Gooden is ranked as the No. 15 safety in the nation and No. 13 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Reveal hidden contents

SAN ANTONIO — Larry Turner-Gooden will make his college decision live on NBC at the All-American Bowl tomorrow.

The four-star safety from Mission Hills (Calif.) Bishop Alemany will choose from 35 offers and announcing at the game has always been a dream of his.

"I'm very excited," he said. "This is a dream. I'm just living up to the moment and going day by day. It's been a big dream. I grew up watching this game and had family members that played in it. Even though I can't play in it I'm looking forward to the moment."

Turner-Gooden didn't play this season after suffering a shoulder injury. Instead of working through the pain, Turner-Gooden decided to undergo surgery to repair it before enrolling early and competing for playing time as a freshman.

"I dislocated my shoulder," he said. "I took care of it early so I could be ready for college. I chose not to play so I could have a better chance of playing this year."

The hat dance is a time-honored tradition in commitment announcements. Texas will be joined on the table by USC, Penn State, Maryland and Colorado as the finalists for Turner-Gooden. While some of these announcements can get out of hand with theatrics, Turner-Gooden plans to make his announcement in a straightforward manner.

Texas has been a player from the time Steve Sarkisian and his staff arrived in Austin. Turner-Gooden committed to Arizona State back in the spring, but Texas never gave in. Turner-Gooden said the relationship with the staff put them in his group of finalists.

"The relationship got real strong with the new coaching staff coming in," Turner-Gooden said. "My personal recruiter is Blake Gideon. We built a good relationship and I already had a good relationship with Sark. That whole process with Texas, they treat me right and tell me right from wrong. That's the same as every coaching staff, so I just have to talk with my parents and see what the best decision is for me."

Gideon's style of recruiting resonated with several prospects in this class. Turner-Gooden said the former Texas safety is genuine and authentic.

"He's straightforward," he said. "He's a good family man and if you're one of his he'll take care of you."

Turner-Gooden played both ways in high school and has the ability to play in a couple of different positions within the secondary. When asked about his fit, Turner-Gooden said he just wants to get on the field.

"I'm an athlete," he said. "I think I fit wherever I can get in and fit in. As long as I'm on the field making plays that's the best for me."

The Longhorns have been recruiting hard on the west coast. Turner-Gooden's good friend Maalik Murphy has been a voice in his ear talking up Texas.

"They've been on my bumper," he said. "You hear from guys everywhere but you just have to play it out your way."

The toughest part of any recruitment is having to tell coaches you aren't going to be attending their school. Turner-Gooden said while it was tough, it's part of growing up.

"The hardest part was definitely calling the coaches and telling them I'm not going to their school," he said. "It's been a good process and I appreciate every coach and their staff that recruited me. Especially since all this portal stuff is going crazy. It's been a big blessing to be recruited and taking all of my trips. I just have to be a man and tell them I'm not going to their school. You never know where they will end up and I've still got a good relationship with each coaching staff."

Turner-Gooden will enroll at the school of his choice next week. He's been hard at work training off the field to stay in shape and strengthen his shoulder.

"Definitely," he said. "I still do my physical training making sure I'm straight. As soon as I get on campus I'm still going to do what I can on my shoulder to make it stronger, so the spring season is going to be crazy for me."

On the field, Turner-Gooden said he's put in the work to play the position. Going forward he just wants to keep honing those skills.

"I sit down and watch film," he said. "I work my craft. It's just about getting better at what I do. Just keep working on what I'm already working on and if it's something I don't know, I need to learn it."

At 6-feet, 179 pounds, Turner-Gooden is ranked as the No. 15 safety in the nation and No. 13 overall prospect in California, according to 247Sports Composite.

8 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Anyone got it?

Spoiler

TEAM / PORTAL

*Texas still does not know if On3 Consensus 4-star DL Jaray Bledsoe (Marlin, Texas) will be able to enroll for the spring. IT believes it’s less than a 50-50 chance as of Thursday.

*2022 signee Derrick Brown (Texas High) will no longer enroll early at Texas. He’s set for a June move-in.

*Quinn Ewers and Ja'Tavion Sanders have been playing catch. While Ewers has yet to make it to Austin, he's connected with the UT freshman tight end. The Southlake Carrol and Denton Ryan product had a throwing session recently as the two prepare for spring ball. Xavier Worthy was not there.

*Wyoming transfer wide receiver Isaiah Neyor (Arlington, Texas/Lamar) made a trip to USC earlier this week. The word IT received from a source close to Neyor is the 6-foot-3, 210-pound receiver wasn’t “feeling the vibe out there”.

Neyor was originally planning to return from Los Angeles and go walk around campus at Texas before heading to Tennessee this weekend. Those plans have changed.

Neyor will now make an official visit to Ole Miss next Tuesday and Wednesday, and then come back to Texas for an official visit next weekend. Tennessee is trying to move to get an official visit next week, but nothing is set as of Friday morning.

IT was told Neyor is being targeted as a receiver opposite Xavier Worthy, and that Neyor knows exactly how much he is coveted by the staff.

*Texas is also in search of a linebacker in the portal. While the Longhorns extended an offer to Central Michigan transfer Troy Brown, the early returns haven’t been positive. The prevailing reason is that Brown has a couple of young reasons for staying closer to his home state of Michigan. The Longhorns had two conversations with Brown on Thursday.

*Brown’s teammate, safety Devonni Reed, is a legitimate priority for the coaches. IT isn’t sure where UT sits with the downhill striker but he’s certainly coveted as someone who can play cleanup in the back end. He’s viewed as providing something the defense is lacking, which isn’t hard to believe if you watched Texas safeties support the run from depth this past season. We’ll continue to try and get in touch with Reed.

*There is some chatter that Alabama EDGE Drew Sanders (Denton, Texas/Ryan) is considering transferring after the Crimson Tide’s season ends on Monday. Should the 6-foot-5, 244-pounder decide to leave, the Longhorns would likely have interest. Sanders has 24 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and one sack this season with three starts to his credit. He’s more talented than that stat line suggests.

*In addition to linebacker and wide receiver, IT believes the Texas coaches are in the market for a tight end if a good one comes available. The staff really likes the young players on the roster but wouldn’t mind adding some experience.

*We still don’t expect the coaches to add an offensive lineman out of the portal. Minnesota’s Curtis Dunlap was targeted previously but then offensive lineman started committing left and right and they were too good to turn away. Dunlap would have provided immediate help, however expectations are high for the incoming freshman. They’ll have a lot to learn but the coaches think talent will compensate for youth, somewhat. Don’t be surprised if two incoming freshman are starting by midseason.

*Continuity is a big buzzword behind the scenes. That leads us to believe no defensive coaching changes are on the docket. We haven’t heard with certainty one way or the other but if a change was going to be made, we likely would have heard by now.

Recruiting:

On3 Consensus 4-star Larry Turner-Gooden will announce his decision January 8 during the All-American Bowl. Texas continues to be the favorite over Colorado headed into the announcement. LT-G is not competing in the All-American Bowl this week after having shoulder surgery during the season. The safety prospect is a 3-star with a grade of 89 in the On3 prospect rankings. Lack of recent film hurts his rating, but LT-G is a higher upside player.

On3 Consensus 5-star IOL Devon Campbell (Arlington, Texas/Bowie) continues to be a heavy lean to Texas over Oklahoma. IT does not expect that to change headed into a February 2 announcement.

59 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Anybody got Mike Roach's report on LTG that was just put out? 

IT still has LTG favored to commit to UT in today's Humidor.

57 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Hide contents

Today's Humidor report on LTG:

On3 Consensus 4-star Larry Turner-Gooden will announce his decision January 8 during the All-American Bowl. Texas continues to be the favorite over Colorado headed into the announcement. LT-G is not competing in the All-American Bowl this week after having shoulder surgery during the season. The safety prospect is a 3-star with a grade of 89 in the On3 prospect rankings. Lack of recent film hurts his rating, but LT-G is a higher upside player.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

That's still better than Coleman. 

That's what I said. That considered, it's early and first impressions aren't always right. Maybe he's also a big game hunter. Maybe he's going to take the approach he's going to take because he thinks he'll turn anyone into a stud if they have the baseline of raw materials he's looking for from a high school athlete. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Speak for yourself, sir.

In actual recruiting news, some thoughts out there:

-The staff is Jeckyl & Hyde on Hyphen. I guess we still can't rule him out. I don't even know if this level of ambivalence is meaningful, given the performance of the defensive staff this fall. I know friends that follow things closely who don't think he's anything special either way. 

-ATM is trying to throw a big, fatass bag at Matthews. It's not clear whether that's going to get it done anyway, but he's yet another guy that intuitively figured out that he didn't want to be anywhere near College Station who is now reconsidering for only one reason. I'm curious to see how that works out for Evan Stewart, Harris, multiple OOS guys, and, should Matthews suddenly decide that ATM is his school of choice, him as well. 

Guys like Richardson and Leal hadn't been to ATM a bunch when they magically decided to shut everything down. A lot of these other guys had been and said "uhh, no" and then had their minds changed. 

-I don't know about anyone else, but there's basically no buzz on anyone new appearing ahead of NSD2. I kind of expected some of that.

-Early thoughts on Choice and Marion on the recruiting front are that Choice is a legitimate volume recruiter capable of working on multiple big time talents at the same time, even for the same slot, which is tough to do, and that Marion is just going to load up a chopper full of LOIs with return envelopes attached and take whichever of the first 3-4 come in each year and call it a day. 

I'll add some thoughts on the transfer side over there.

I wouldn't think Marion could/would keep to that strategy now that he is here. If he does that with top recruits only then sure, it could work, but you have to hang in there and fight for the big guys.  This was the flaw in Herman's recruiting strategy that had us move on from the top of the board too soon. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I wouldn't think Marion could/would keep to that strategy now that he is here. If he does that with top recruits only then sure, it could work, but you have to hang in there and fight for the big guys.  This was the flaw in Herman's recruiting strategy that had us move on from the top of the board too soon. 

the other flaw was having Herman recruit.

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That's what I said. That considered, it's early and first impressions aren't always right. Maybe he's also a big game hunter. Maybe he's going to take the approach he's going to take because he thinks he'll turn anyone into a stud if they have the baseline of raw materials he's looking for from a high school athlete. 

My only concern is he is going to be looking for a OC job in about October and not do much recruiting/coaching after that.  Like Chizik did with out 2006 defense after about OU.

I don't mind position coaches leaving for better jobs.  That should happen in a healthy program.  I just would prefer getting them for 2 years.

2 hours ago, 40acredropout said:

I know this thread is dedicated to Harry Potter and western movies but thought some might find this useful / interesting:

Recruiting class rankings from 2010 to 2022.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1C-q11MkVIZMegYb0SnzXRtZzx2STaca0/edit#gid=56955910

Cool if I send this out? I'm stoking as much aggie fear as possible. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting