Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'm on season 4. 4 fucking seasons waiting for it to be anything other than miserable unlikeable people doing miserable unlikable things to each other with really annoying color filters on the camera. I wish I'd never committed to watching it, but at least I'm almost done.

The Wire, The Sopranos, those shows have characters you can actually get attached to.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

2 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I’m not sure how the conversation started with best westerns and ended with this but I’ve learned to not ask too many questions around here.

one of my favorite best westerns is in clayton, nm. always stay there on the way to colorado if I’m not driving all the way through. dog-friendly and a decent hot breakfast. 

• Haha 3

Surprised to see no mention of 3:10 to Yuma (the new one). Kevin Costner's Open Range also has one of the best gunfights in a Western I've ever seen.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I’m not sure how the conversation started with best westerns and ended with this but I’ve learned to not ask too many questions around here.

There needs to be a distinction between spaghetti westerns and Hollywood westerns. Apples to oranges comparison.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Surprised to see no mention of 3:10 to Yuma (the new one). Kevin Costner's Open Range also has one of the best gunfights in a Western I've ever seen.

There needs to be a distinction between spaghetti westerns and Hollywood westerns. Apples to oranges comparison.

Glad you mentioned Open Range. Good movie. 

Looks like the All-American Bowl will be on regular NBC. 

I get mine via antenna - channel 36 in Austin area.

image.thumb.png.0baa99cef36e5a87f7816d4d53fe1dbe.png

Here's the full roster for East & West teams:

https://247sports.com/Event/All-American-Bowl-2022-77/

Committed to Texas:

• J'mond Tapp Edge
  • Jaylon Guilbeau CB

Crystal Ball to Texas:

• Larry Turner-Gooden Safety

NOT committed yet:

• Blake Ford Kicker
  • C.J. Williams WR
  • Christen Miller DL
  • Cyrus Moss Edge 
  • Daniel Martin LB
  • Davison Igbinosun CB
  • Earnest Greene IOL
  • Francois Nolton DL
  • Hero Kanu DL
  • Josh Conerly Jr. OT
  • Kevin Coleman WR
  • Rayshon Luke RB
  • TreVonte' Citizen RB
  • Trevor Etienne RB

Local notable:

• Ben Rios OT
  • Blake Ford Kicker
  • Cade Klubnik QB
  • Caleb Burton WR
  • Deandre Marshall OT
  • Hunter Erb OT
  • Jaylen Early IOL
  • Julian Humphrey CB
  • Kyron Chambers CB
  • Landon Samson WR
  • Nic Caraway DL
  • Nick Evers QB
  • Trudell Berry CB

• Hook 'Em 4

14 hours ago, Snacks said:

I watched 3 or 4 seasons of Breaking Bad waiting for the shit to get great...

And one if my coworkers was all, "But did you see the uncle ring the bell?!?!?"

I need to rewatch Sopranos... I was too busy and didn't have HBO when it was airing, so I couldn't catch it consistently. Crazy show when you jump around... But in a good way...  Ducks, then Uncle Junior, then Meadow and Christopher fucking up...

F recruiting.

14 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

You’ve had two all-time horrible takes in less than 48 hours. It’s genuinely impressive 

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

I'm on season 4. 4 fucking seasons waiting for it to be anything other than miserable unlikeable people doing miserable unlikable things to each other with really annoying color filters on the camera. I wish I'd never committed to watching it, but at least I'm almost done.

The Wire, The Sopranos, those shows have characters you can actually get attached to.

I binged Breaking Bad last summer and had the same experience as texifornia. Fucking terrible. Watched it the whole way through and remain perplexed by the love. I think binging versus watching it as it come out plays a role. Lots of misery packed into 3 hours if you watch 3-4 in a row. 

Binging can legit change the way a series unfolds. I heard nothing but hate about the second season of True Detective from anyone and everyone. My wife had one of our kids right as the show was being released, so we never watched it and then heard the hate, so it was like 3 years later when we saw it. It wasn’t anything wonderful, but it wasn’t worthy of all of the hatred. 

Also, season 1 of True Detective is a top 10 dramatic tv season of all time. 

Also also, if the clown show has moved on to all time greatest series, Dallas is the fucking archetype for a bunch of shows being discussed. I’ve seen the whole series 3 times and it’s amaze balls. @SydneyCarton is this board’s Cliff Barnes. @texifornia is this board’s Sue Ellen. 

• Hook 'Em 6

If you never made it to the toilet scene or the garage scene, I don't think you fully experienced breaking bad.

It is a heavy show, for sure. If you don't like that, it's going to be hard to keep watching. But it's masterfully written and acted with an interesting premise that they do a good job evolving over time (which is where a lot of shows with interesting initial premises seem to falter).

It's easily top 5 all time tv for me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I binged Breaking Bad last summer and had the same experience as texifornia. Fucking terrible. Watched it the whole way through and remain perplexed by the love. I think binging versus watching it as it come out plays a role. Lots of misery packed into 3 hours if you watch 3-4 in a row. 

Binging can legit change the way a series unfolds. I heard nothing but hate about the second season of True Detective from anyone and everyone. My wife had one of our kids right as the show was being released, so we never watched it and then heard the hate, so it was like 3 years later when we saw it. It wasn’t anything wonderful, but it wasn’t worthy of all of the hatred. 

Also also, if the clown show has moved on to all time greatest series, Dallas is the fucking archetype for a bunch of shows being discussed. I’ve seen the whole series 3 times and it’s amaze balls. @SydneyCarton is this board’s Cliff Barnes. @texifornia is this board’s Sue Ellen. 

The second season of TD wasn't that bad. It just had too many characters. I thought the third season was much better than the second.

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Do we have to ask who is this board’s J.R.?

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Definitely something to be said when you have the opportunity to let series stand on its own away from water cooler buzz or normal talking head entertainment critique chatter. Can find real gems and real stinkers. 

ditto on Breaking bad and had the same thought that bingeing that series wasn’t the way to go for new viewers. Felt the same about ‘the wire’ although I liked it more. 

And yup, Dallas was fucking tits. So many shows have had success borrowing their character dynamics and setups.

• Hook 'Em 1

Breaking Bad first aired in 2008 on network television just as streaming and social media took off,  GoT, TWD, True detective, HoC, SoA, etc all came out afterwards so BB hit at the perfect time to blow up with being on basic cable, being different from everything else at the time and having social media to spread it like wildfire. Shows like the Sopranos and The Wire which where locked behind HBO and didn't have streaming or social media to spread it through the public like Breaking Bad did even though they where both far superior in quality.

I watched BB religiously when it came out but never rewatched a single episode or saw a tack on movie/branch off series. 

Looking back on the series I grew tired of the slopshit how are they gonna get out of it this time as well as seemingly every episode ending in a cliffhanger. Overuse of Cliffhangers is a tool and sign of lazy writing and less than great show. Great shows/writing capture an audience without having to rely on that crutch to bring em back the next week.

10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Story time. A few years ago I took my daughter to a birthday party at a friend's house. Her friend asked if I wanted to come inside and meet her dad. Sure. So I go inside, and Gus Fring is standing there. Like, the actual Gus Fring. Giancarlo Esposito. He was on crutches because he had just torn his leg up while filming Better Call Saul. Interesting guy. He has a picture hanging in his living room of his two-face scene from BB. 

You met Buggin Out.  You would have been invited back if you yelled, "GAMMITESSSSSSSS!!!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I binge watched Dexter 10 years or so ago (hell, I rented the seasons at Blockbuster!). It was great starting off, but after about 3 seasons, I was becoming depressed, I guess just because of the heaviness of it. Then the show got really far-fetched and unwatchable.

Yeah, I know. GOT far-fetched. I think the writers just became lazy, but the series started off so strong. 

I thought Breaking Bad got interesting once the aforementioned Gus Fring entered the storyline. It was pretty dull before that, but I just watched it last summer. 

Man, I agree about Dallas. It’s become my new Fall tradition. I start watching around mid-August and usually finish up around Thanksgiving. It never gets old and seems to get better every year. The new Dallas kind of sucked though. 
image.gif.2bdb077a4df8aa6f2ac5d7aee03a3bb9.gif

48 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

If you like bingey cliff hangers check out blacklist.  

This makes me ragey. The most memorable part of Blacklist is that it had the worst leading actress of all time. So horrible you want to watch her die in a horrible manner even though her character is supposed to be generally sympathetic and likeable. In the episodes I saw the central figures could be in NYC, DC, Paris or wherever in a matter of minutes. James Spader is an excellent actor but I would never recommend blacklist to anyone with more than half a brain. So maybe the football board.

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Took me a little bit too 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think season 2 True Detective hate comes from comparing it to season 1. I’m surprised season 1 hadn’t been mentioned yet.

Fleabag is in this conversation for me

• Like 1

Ralph D. Russo

ASSOCIATED PRESS

After Georgia beat Florida in November, Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart was asked about the importance of recruiting. His response was both obvious and emphatic: “The best coach to ever play the game better be a good recruiter because no coaching is going to outcoach players,” he said.

Georgia and Alabama then consistently send those highly touted recruits on to the NFL, which is the best recruiting tool of all.

Just coming from high school to here I wanted to surround myself by people who had the same mindset as me, same competitive nature as me, same standard and expectation as me no matter the outcome of whether I was playing or not,” All-America linebacker Will Anderson Jr. said.  247 Sports has been ranking the rosters of each FBS team based on the high school recruiting ratings of each player since 2015. Alabama and Georgia were not only Nos. 1 and 2 in the talent composite this season, but their rosters each received the highest scores ever recorded by the site.

Of the 85 scholarship players listed on Alabama’s roster to start the season, 74 were either four- or five-star recruits, including 14 five-stars. The Crimson Tide’s score in the talent composite was 1.000.89. Georgia had the most five-star recruits on its roster this season with 19, plus another 47 four-stars for a talent composite score of 1.000.79. Ohio State was third with a score of 985.89.

Only Alabama’s 2017 team (997.57) had ever received a talent composite score higher than 991.

“They showed me how to work and they showed me you just trust the process,” Smith said.  College football players and coaches from all over the country use some version of this line frequently: “Our practices are tougher than the games.”  At Georgia and Alabama, it’s often true.  Smart is quick to point out players practice far more than they play, and NFL evaluators don’t start really digging into a player until he is draft eligible in year three.

Alabama sets the standard for producing NFL players, with 51 draft picks in the last five years. Ohio State is the only school close with 43.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

2 minutes ago, TheRRKid said:

I think binging versus watching it as it come out plays a role. Lots of misery packed into 3 hours if you watch 3-4 in a row. 

That’s the way it was for me with The Americans. It’s an all-time great show for me, but is just so unrelentingly dark and the leads do such awful things that I had to take a break about halfway through and then return to complete it. It is one series that really sticks the ending in a way that even the greatest shows fail to do. It wraps up all the character arcs and storylines in a logical and satisfying fashion. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Binging can legit change the way a series unfolds. 

I legit will not binge hour long dramas for this reason. Two episodes max in a sitting. More serious shows usually need more time to breathe. 

When you watch a show also changes the game. With Breaking Bad, that show was all about Walters descent into madness and the viewer realizing they shouldn’t be rooting for him anymore. It worked in real time, because viewers could still hold out hope for redemption pretty deep into the show, but if you watched the show much later, you probably already heard/knew Walter was going to descend into irredeemability from the get go. Which means you probably didn’t root for him that much from the get go either. With no rooting interest and no hope for redemption, I can see how that show can become just miserable people doing miserable shit every episode.

• Hook 'Em 3

I think season 2 True Detective hate comes from comparing it to season 1. I’m surprised season 1 hadn’t been mentioned yet.
Fleabag is in this conversation for me

This. I watched season 2 before season 1. Thought it was okay. Then I watched season 1 and understood why people dogged it. Season 1 of True Detective is a masterpiece.

Also agree on Breaking Bad not being all it’s hyped up to be. Maybe that’s also a product of having high expectations when watching it, but I started and didn’t finish. Never truly captured my interest.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This. I watched season 2 before season 1. Thought it was okay. Then I watched season 1 and understood why people dogged it. Season 1 of True Detective is a masterpiece.

Also agree on Breaking Bad not being all it’s hyped up to be. Maybe that’s also a product of having high expectations when watching it, but I started and didn’t finish. Never truly captured my interest.

You see this drop-off a lot in music.  A group spends a decade writing/crafting/performing songs for a debut album that is incredible - to then be told by the record company that they have 10 months to put out their second album.

I read an interview with the writer/creator of True Detective and he said he spent something like 15 years writing and editing that first season.  Then had 6 months to get a script together for Season 2.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting