Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I'm surprised The Searchers hasn't been mentioned.  Great movie.

It has been mentioned a few times, but deserves another.  Beautiful movie.

Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch/Johnny Depp) hasn't been mentioned.  Weird but good movie. Maybe not really a western?

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Same, but logically we know nothing is going to happen until February. Devon Campbell announces and it seems that our staff is justifiably more focused on the transfer portal right now. 

And even in February most activity other than NSD will be with the 2023 class.

It definitely makes sense. We are waiting on a long shot with Matthews and that’s about it. Assuming Campbell is in the fold already. 

Y’all are right that was an exaggeration, I got too overeager to talk about something that wasn’t Harry Potter. Thinking back it’s probably not even my favorite recent western (No country for old men beats it) still probably in my top 5 personally. Tombstone is definitely in there, might be #1. Id probably round out the top 5 with Unforgiven and the good the bad and the ugly. Does Django count as a western? Cause I’d probably have to make room for that. If we are talking about underrated westerns I’d like to throw out Bone Tomahawk

What? No Cowboys and Aliens in your list?
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Ok Boomer The Office GIF - Ok Boomer The Office Old Man - Discover & Share  GIFs

I know I've got a ton of people on ignore so I lose track of some posters until I randomly see them quoted. The guy you quoted is humorless, angry, and uninformed. Like, forever as a poster, that's been who he is. The update you posted of him is illustrious of that. Maybe this thread sends him screaming back to his safe spot, which is apparently "the rain thread".  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

What? No Cowboys and Aliens in your list?

I mean it was probably a case of expectations versus reality, but when my family insisted we watch Cowboys & Aliens for a family movie night years ago I was sure I was about to watch the worst movie in the history of movies. It wasn't that, so I actually didn't mind it so much. Now it certainly won't get anywhere near a list of my favorite movies in any category whether that's westerns, alien movies, Harrison Ford or Daniel Craig movies, or any applicable list I can imagine. But it somehow saved an evening by not being the worst movie ever made. I feel like its mid-40s ratings for both critics and audience on Rotten Tomatoes is pretty accurate, and that's pretty damn good when you were expecting a 5% movie to show up.

That concludes the longest defense anyone has ever written for that movie.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Tombstone and HoHW are fine westerns but they’re not even close to the best.  Hell, they may not even be top 10.  And, Unforgiven is dogshit.

I love it when people suggest someone is wrong on a subjective topic. It's cute.

• closetojumping changed the title to Lack of Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Off the Rails, Careening Into the Canyon
11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It's probably not crazy that "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" hasn't been listed, but it was well done and highly entertaining because of its quirkiness. Numerous terrific actors in it, and it was all shot in Texas.

I've watched it twice. Very good movie.

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

OK - apologize for the recruiting content/threadjack.  Aggy just hired Durkin to be their DC.  I get NIL/bagman/etc. controls, but how is it not easy to recruit against a guy who basically got fired for abusing players?

"I realize he killed a kid. But it's just one kid out of the hundreds, maybe thousands he's coached. What are the odds it will be you? The odds are worse you'll get in a car accident on the way to school. Hey, do you like 500K? Because we've got lots of bags of 500k and they LOVE 5 star recruits."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

If you want to get a "ohhh shit I was not expecting that?" watch The Power of the Dog on Netflix.

I watched that and never got there.  What was unexpected? 

Spoiler

The fact that he and Bronco Henry were lovers was telegraphed from the jump.  And they talked so much about leaving dead cows alone that as soon as the kid started cutting the hide off the cow in the canyon my wife said - oh, Benedict Cumberbatch is going to die of anthrax.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Trying to get my 6 y/o daughter to read The Silmarillion.

talk about a rollercoaster of a book. It's hours upon hours of "can't keep my eyes open" followed by a few chapters of "I can't put it down" that's just enough to keep you coming back for more.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

"I realize he killed a kid. But it's just one kid out of the hundreds, maybe thousands he's coached. What are the odds it will be you? The odds are worse you'll get in a car accident on the way to school. Hey, do you like 500K? Because we've got lots of bags of 500k and they LOVE 5 star recruits."

"And it's been a long time.  He basically has that out of his system at this point or wouldn't it have happened again by now?"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

OK - apologize for the recruiting content/threadjack.  Aggy just hired Durkin to be their DC.  I get NIL/bagman/etc. controls, but how is it not easy to recruit against a guy who basically got fired for abusing players?

A kid died. Parents lost a son due to his negligence. I guess “abuse” fits but doesn’t tell the whole story. Fuck that guy. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

If you want to get a "ohhh shit I was not expecting that?" watch The Power of the Dog on Netflix.

No offense, but that movie was one of the most “can see it coming from a mile away” as far as storylines. The director was hitting the viewer over the head with what was coming. Visuals were nice though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I watched that and never got there.  What was unexpected? 

Reveal hidden contents

The fact that he and Bronco Henry were lovers was telegraphed from the jump.  And they talked so much about leaving dead cows alone that as soon as the kid started cutting the hide off the cow in the canyon my wife said - oh, Benedict Cumberbatch is going to die of anthrax.

well....

Spoiler

not just him and bronco henry (though I didn't think it was that telegraphed, it could have been anything), but that him and the boy became close... in a way.

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

No offense, but that movie was one of the most “can see it coming from a mile away” as far as storylines. The director was hitting the viewer over the head with what was coming. Visuals were nice though. 

I guess I missed all of the signs. I thought it was going a different route.

2 minutes ago, Droopy said:

A kid died. Parents lost a son due to his negligence. I guess “abuse” fits but doesn’t tell the whole story. Fuck that guy. 

I'm not sure it was the one death that got him fired. It was that plus the entire player uprising against him of SYSTEMIC abuse in his program. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

"and hey, at least it wasnt a video coordinator, right?"

Just now, UncleBuck said:

well....

Hide contents

not just him and bronco henry (though I didn't think it was that telegraphed, it could have been anything), but that him and the boy became close... in a way.

I guess I thought it was telegraphed for this reason:

Spoiler

Jane Campion and Annie Proulx

• Haha 1

Just now, Liquor and Poker said:

I guess I thought it was telegraphed for this reason:

Hide contents

Jane Campion and Annie Proulx

I think that may be the case. I couldn't tell you who they were until after I googled them upon your mentioning them, I'm not big into film and moves tbh.

7 minutes ago, Droopy said:

Fair enough - but it and the uprising underscore my question. 

Seems like a very aggy move though.  Toughen guys up and all that. "This is  Junction Boys 2.0!"

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fair enough - but it and the uprising underscore my question. 

Seems like a very aggy move though.  Toughen guys up and all that. "This is  Junction Boys 2.0!"

He's also been pretty meh as a DC outside of 2021, except for when he was under Muschamp 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting