Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Well let’s see your list, I love new recommendations

You hit on The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. That’s a damn good one.  Hell, all 3 of those are good ones.  To this day, my favorite is Hombre with Paul Newman but I’m a sucker for Elmore Leonard.  High Plains Drifter and Rio Bravo are also great films.  Don’t get me wrong I love Tombstone and HoHW.  Wind River was great too.  I’ve never gotten Unforgiven though.  I hate that movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, MoJames said:

What is your favorite line from No Country For Old Men? I don't really consider "Friendo" a line.

It's the dismal tide. 

You have to call it. I can't call it for you. 

If it ain't, it'll do till  the mess gets here. 

What are we going to circulate, "Looking for a man who has recently drunk milk?"

Yeah, he's a psychopathic killer but so what? 

There are many that come to mind. 

Edited by honolulu horn

4 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

In no particular order, here are my Top 10:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

The Searchers

Little Big Man

High Noon

The Wild Bunch

The Magnificent Seven

Rio Bravo

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

My Darling Clementine

The Outlaw Josey Wales

If I’m making a serious top ten list, I’m not leaving once upon a time in the west off. It’s a fucking long movie, but it might have the best score and best payoff

Agree with the poster below with for a few dollars more being better than good/bad/ugly 

No country should be in any top ten if it’s allowed to be considered western. It’s on the shortlist for  the best movies of the century

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I read this and a few other McCarthy books and Cold Mountain, which wasn’t his but might as well have been. They’re well done and interesting, but too fucking pessimistic and affected. I moved on after reading The Road. 

check out child of god. it’s a real pick me up. 

Still working my way through the classic Westerns, so I haven't seen a lot of the favorites yall have listed, but Fort Apache and Treasure of the Sierra Madre [EDIT: and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid] have to be my current top three.

It's old and corny in a lot of places but I just loved watching Stagecoach. The stunt work in that one is still mindblowing, and young John Wayne is one charismatic motherfucker.

Controversial opinion, but Tombstone was a letdown. Some great one liners, but that one had been so hyped up for me and I wasn't particularly moved

Edited by texifornia

If y'all haven't seen it yet, Old Henry is a pretty good recent one.

Man who shot Liberty Valance is great, may be my favorite.  Red River, Cowboys,  Tombstone, Stagecoach, 3:10 to Yuma(the original), Unforgiven, Quigley Down Under.

Is The Highwaymen a western?

Not in the same class, but I thoroughly enjoy watching Paint Your Wagon, Cat Ballou, and either version of the Magnificent 7, and Ballad of Buster Scruggs whenever they come on.

Fairly certain we had this exact same conversation about everyone’s favorite westerns a year ago in the Urban Meyer thread. Has it really been that long?

Anyway, most of my favorites have already been mentioned (The Searchers, Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, HOHW) so I’ll throw in one that hasn’t been - Silverado from the 80’s. No great piece of art, just a lot of fun and packed full of good actors. 

Also worth mentioning that the Cohen Brothers have an incredibly strong track record for westerns, with No Country, the True Grit remake, and Buster Scruggs. I still go back and watch that last vignette in Buster Scruggs with the people in the carriage being taken to the “hotel,” and I see something new in it every time. 

7 hours ago, RabidM said:

mcdbrmo_ec045_h-2000.jpg

Wouldn't think of it as a western, but damn this was a good movie. It's honestly a shame that it's been memed to death (even though the concept of cowboy buttsecks always cracks me up too) - I thought it was gonna be kind of funny when I watched it but it turned out to be one of the most brutal love stories I've ever watched. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dr.Dre said:

Watched Lonesome Dove on a recommendation somewhere.  Certainly a commitment for time but it was nice to see the combo of Tommy Lee jones, Robert Duval, and a freaking gorgeous young Diane Lane.

Top 5 book for me, too, that one's building on some incredible source material.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Agreed. I read this and a few other McCarthy books and Cold Mountain, which wasn’t his but might as well have been. They’re well done and interesting, but too fucking pessimistic and affected. I moved on after reading The Road. 

Sometimes he gets a little too wrapped up in his own prose and things just sort of meander about and I get bored. We get it. You like $5 words....

But Blood Meridian might be my favorite book ever. And The Judge is an all-time iconic manifestation of sociopathic evil genius incarnate. What a psychotic fucking nightmare.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Sometimes he gets a little too wrapped up in his own prose and things just sort of meander about and I get bored. We get it. You like $5 words....

But Blood Meridian might be my favorite book ever. And The Judge is an all-time iconic manifestation of sociopathic evil genius incarnate. What a psychotic fucking nightmare.

I read No Country for Old Men and was blown away - moved on to The Road next and decided that was it for me.  I don't want/need to feel like that after finishing a book.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any list without The Magnificent Seven is incomplete. 

Unforgiven is so good the Japanese remade it as a samurai movie. True story.

Tombstone, and not only for Val Kilmer's epic performance. Although Dana Delaney's performance almost ruined it. Sam Elliot, though. 

Hombre is very good, but not Top 10. All due respect to Elmore Leonard, who is a God. For a Leonard Western, I prefer Valdez is Coming

Rio Bravo. Wayne at his best.

The Coen Brothers' True Grit. (This, I will allow, is a subjective choice. At least one of the True Grit movies should be on any list)

Outlaw Josey Wales, Winchester '73, GB&U, Butch Cassidy & SDK ("Who are those guys?"), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Wild Bunch.

I won't discount Red River, The Searchers, or Stagecoach, but my two (three including the original True Grit) favorite John Wayne movies are listed above.

I also won't argue with My Darling Clementine. 

Edit: Ah shit. Forgot The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. So excellent. Pitt and the lesser Affleck with career performances. 

Edited by Junior Bonner
Forgot one...
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Junior Bonner said:

Any list without The Magnificent Seven is incomplete. 

Unforgiven is so good the Japanese remade it as a samurai movie. True story.

Tombstone, and not only for Val Kilmer's epic performance. Although Dana Delaney's performance almost ruined it. Sam Elliot, though. 

Hombre is very good, but not Top 10. All due respect to Elmore Leonard, who is a God. For a Leonard Western, I prefer Valdez is Coming

Rio Bravo. Wayne at his best.

The Coen Brothers' True Grit. (This, I will allow, is a subjective choice. At least one of the True Grit movies should be on any list)

Outlaw Josey Wales, Winchester '73, GB&U, Butch Cassidy & SDK ("Who are those guys?"), The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Wild Bunch.

I won't discount Red River, The Searchers, or Stagecoach, but my two (three including the original True Grit) favorite John Wayne movies are listed above.

I also won't argue with My Darling Clementine. 

Edit: Ah shit. Forgot The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. So excellent. Pitt and the lesser Affleck with career performances. 

Fuck, I forgot Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. Easily in my top group.

Also, since I'm as much of a fan of trainwrecks as the best guy, I'll chime in here. A handful of favorites below

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned more.
The Good The Bad and the Ugly
Tombstone
Dances with Wolves
Wyatt Earp - Completely different from Tombstone, still awesome. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday deserves plenty of accolades, although Kilmer is epic.
True Grit - Both of them are fucking great.

If we're including modern westerns, I'm going Hell or High Water and then No Country, by a nose. All of Tyler Sheridan's shit is fucking good. 

Older school Westerns I'll give honorable mentions to El Dorado and McKlintock! Watched it in school, the original The Alamo doesn't get enough love either. 

Django Unchained is great, Hateful Eight is great (although it's really a fucking play). I'm sure I'm missing plenty. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, since I'm as much of a fan of trainwrecks as the best guy, I'll chime in here. A handful of favorites below

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I can't believe this one hasn't been mentioned more.
Tombstone
Dances with Wolves
Wyatt Earp - Complete different from Tombstone, still awesome. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday deserves plenty of accolades next to Val Kilmer's.

If we're including modern westerns, I'm going Hell or High Water and then No Country, by a nose. All of Tyler Sheridan's shit is fucking good. 

Older school Westerns I'll give honorable mentions to El Dorado and McKlintock! Watched it in school, the original The Alamo doesn't get enough love either. 

Django Unchained is great, Hateful Eight is great (although it's really a fucking play). I'm sure I'm missing plenty. 

Good call on Dances. Should've included that in my list.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Tombstone
Dances with Wolves
Wyatt Earp - Completely different from Tombstone, still awesome. Dennis Quaid's Doc Holliday deserves plenty of accolades, although Kilmer is epic.

This list is basically the exact same as mine, annoyingly so

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Just checking to see if anything is going on and see nothing but best western movie talk. I wish I knew how to quit this thread. 

Same, but logically we know nothing is going to happen until February. Devon Campbell announces and it seems that our staff is justifiably more focused on the transfer portal right now. 

And even in February most activity other than NSD will be with the 2023 class.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting