Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

2 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

You aren't able to describe any thing about CRT that is incorrect.  I'll note that.  You seem to have concerns with what you feel it emphasizes and what you feel it says about racial progress.  A lot of folks seem to be driven by feelings when it comes this topic. My recommendation is to acknowledge that a simplified version of CRT boils down to the fact systemic racism exists in the US.  

Snowflakes usually focus on fear and feelings over logic.

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

that would be the antithesis of CRT-- which posits that race is at the center of lived experience in America...  liberals like James Lindsay in fact bat against essentializing race the way CRT does.  CRT literally undoes the famous quote of Dr King about judging others by their character and not by their skin color-- CRT insists on judging everybody by their skin color.

So one race, bitching about favoring another race about their “lived experience in America “, which includes being enslaved, beaten, murdered, lynched and systematically discriminated against for 200 plus years, now it’s not cool to judge people by their skin color?  Again, fuck you.  You’re a troll and I hope you’re treated as such.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

I hate adults who don't do the readings before discussion. Gtfo of here and educate your dumbass.

That's what he has his YouTube recommendations feed for. Haven't you seen the culture war garbage he's been posting?

Edited by Captainant

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Systemic racism is most notably playing out today as republican legislators try to limit voter access to minorities.  They do it under the guise of stopping election fraud, security, etc.  When the only evidence of fraud they can cite is that the guy at the top of the ticket lost (while being the most unpopular president I can think of) and at the same time winning the down ballot races.

It is playing out as a desperate attempt to hold onto power in spite of demographic and electoral changes so they try to rig the process.

The incremental process the opponents of CRT claim to support is actually working at rolling back progress for equality back to the days of Jim Crow laws.

In a perfect world we wouldn't have a need for affirmative action programs, but we would have to get rid of the racists first.

They aren't even trying to hide it anymore with Jim Crow terms such as "Purity Vote."

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

That's what he has his YouTube recommendations feed for. Haven't you seen the culture war garbage he's been posting?

That'd be like me reading all of David Irving's Holocaust denial writings and speeches just before a grad seminar on Nazi Germany and/or the Holocaust.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You didn't get hit up with a big dose of it's kissing cousin Critical Legal Studies at Hahvahd?

Nope. I might have heard of it in passing, but we saw a lot more Law & Econ in the traditional classes than anything close to CLS. And I didn’t really venture out into the kind of offbeat electives that would have involved something like that. 

Here's a good example of systemic racism.

Deed restrictions forbidding sales of property/homes to Negroes were outlawed in terms of judicial enforcement in 1948.  Problem solved, right?

Well, no.  They could still be privately enforced, which is not in any way equivalent to legal enforcement, but still one hell of a deterrent to potential purchasers of color.  So they were still written into deeds as a warning not to sell your house to any darkies up until 1968.

These things were common in any decent neighborhood in America until they were finally outlawed completely by the Civil Rights Act of 1968.  This wasn't just HP or Piney Point or Tarrytown, it was err'where.

Even though they weren't enforceable, consider the effect of knowing that those people over there in the nice neighborhood detest and fear you so much that they don't just refuse to deal with you, they write it into the fucking deeds.

De jure discrimination may be largely outlawed in this day and age, but the hangover effects still linger.

• Hook 'Em 5

A quick timeline:

Slavery: 265 years

Segregation: 99 years

”Freedom”: 55 years

Most of the systems in this country were built in the first 364 of Europeans being here. This obviously predates America as a country. Our educational, housing, healthcare, transportation, monetary, and just about every other system was built for white people. It intentionally left others out and relegated most to abject poverty. When “freedom” finally arrived, there were no ladders out of the hole to go along with it.

The idea that everything has been fixed in these last 55 years is laughable. We are operating the same systems with a few tweaks and wondering why not much has changed. 

None of this even addresses the mentality/culture of people who have experienced oppression. A great quote to sum it up:

If you can control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his action. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Oh boy I see we are doing this again...low-post, totally not a sock, ‘just asking questions’ poster seeks to enlighten the masses with a hot take.  Carry on.  

Yeah, but it’s not in the cloak room, where those dirty echo chamber people are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Yeah, but it’s not in the cloak room, where those dirty echo chamber people are. 

i was thinking he got way more argument and pushback in DT than expected, he tapped out pretty quick lol

Edited by mchookem

19 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i was thinking he got way more argument and pushback in DT than expected, he tapped out pretty quick lol

It’s always the same.  Post a “hot take” from a disreputable source being passed around in right-wing circles ie facebook, email forwards whatever, posture, then haul ass when your bullshit gets called a turd.  Then whine and cry about being censored and misunderstood.  Greg Davis’ playbook was more effective than that of these MAGAtS.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

This is complete nonsense.  It's been around the since the 70's and I am convinced the only reason that it's a big deal right now is because someone stumbled across it on Wikipedia while looking for the next thing to manufacture right wing outrage about.

And that somebody that stumbled onto it was an intern for one of the Fox News evening shows.

CRT’s got a two day head-start on you, which is more than CRT needs. CRT’s got friends in every town and village from here to Brownsville. CRT speaks a dozen languages and knows every local custom. CRT will blend in, disappear and you'll never see CRT again. With any luck the frogs are gay already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe they should stop “identifying “ as white people and start acting like, just, people. You know, all men are created equal.  Start fucking acting like it, and stop bitching when someone who isn’t like you might get a special treat.  Fucking five year olds, man.  

Your cookie had more chocolate chips than mine. Not fair. Wah

Fucking everyone needs to get over themselves and just focus on living

5 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

CRT posits that any differential outcomes are the result of race, and that America is systemically a racist society.

If true then it falls short in two ways.  Not only has America been systematically racist but much of the world for most of history has oppressed some group or another due to race.  Africans upon fellow Africans, Africans upon Middle Easterners, Greeks upon Scythians, Romans upon fellow Italians/Carthage, Germans upon Jews and most recently Americans upon Blacks/Hispanics/Japanese.  The other is that race is not the only variable upon which an oppressed outcome has happened to minorities everywhere.  

4 hours ago, GW Hayduke said:

It isn't about you. It's about the system.  It's about the systems (tax, land regulation, schools, etc.) that have led to a disproportionate accumulation of wealth on a population level.

The system has favored, for most of history, some groups over others.  Tale as old as time.  To what degree do you believe that it still exists?  Is not the sky the limit regarding opportunity for any person in this country?  It is people behind every system.  Do you still believe more people, than not, support an oppressive system today?  Progress has been made.  More should be made.  

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you want me to disagree that slavery and Jim Crow don't have an impact on blacks today, then I can't.  It does. 

Which is why I would have no problem with cash reparations.

CRT is harmful to everyone.  It sows division.  It makes whites feel bad about something they had nothing to do with.  It fosters a victimhood mentality in minorities.  Confirmation bias is one of the strongest force in our brains. When you are convinced that you are oppressed, you will see it everywhere and it will ruin your life in one way or another. It won't allow you, after experiencing a shortcoming, to learn and grow.

Agreed.

While i am not for cash reparations I might be open to free college tuition (qualification upon merit) for and or government back business loans for minorities for a finite period of time.  Native Americans get it.  That said you would have sons paying for the sins of the forefathers to sons who have little to no connection with theirs.  That sucks.       

I don't believe CRT in and of itself is harmful but how outspoken "leaders" of minority groups use it to sow discord and express "burn it all down" sentiment is wrong.  If they use it vilify other groups of today they are wrong.  I agree that it has and can do more harm than good regarding teaching a victim mentality to many who for the most part have not experienced oppression/racism like those of the past.  It is incumbent upon proponents of CRT to manage their own house with regard to extremists from ruining real conversation.  

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

*Affect

I'd say post-modern is accurate.  And,yes, taken to extremes, it virtually eliminates any responsibility for self-determination.

But it also contains nuggets of main truth, the largest being that black folk have gotten a shit deal in this country, and many others, but particularly so here due to slavery and Jim Crow.  Some of that is over with, and some isn't.

Fair

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

America would do better to see how it's history of racism in legislation and law enforcement has directly led to today's issues instead of telling them to get some bootstraps.

Has it not?  Is it not well documented?  We all know, now what?  

Look at the end of the day the discourse of CRT is not the problem it is the people on each side of the argument using it for its own extreme and selfish purposes.  Conflate it with extreme social constructs, politics and or identity politics and it quickly becomes an even bigger shit show.  OP, no matter what his position is, started a conversation.  The first two posts, followed by many others, shit all over him.  On the one hand he's a stupid aggie and this is Surly but on the other hand it says more about some of you, when others with opposing views, when all you do is criticize and contribute little to enlighten the conversation.  Such a beating.  At least GW tried to converse.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

*Affect

I'd say post-modern is accurate.  And,yes, taken to extremes, it virtually eliminates any responsibility for self-determination.

But it also contains nuggets of main truth, the largest being that black folk have gotten a shit deal in this country, and many others, but particularly so here due to slavery and Jim Crow.  Some of that is over with, and some isn't.

This is my take on it as well.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also "critical" as a modifier to any academic discipline basically means "so theoretical as to not be taken seriously, or very seriously."

Currently, the modus agendi of the right wing is to label anything that is race-conscious at all critical race theory.

I disagree, if you are saying it is not taken seriously (I realize that may not be exactly what you're saying). It is taken very seriously in many and diverse academic disciplines and definitely has moved beyond the theoretical, especially in academia.

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

As an avowed liberal, I would like to thank far right idiots for bringing critical race theory to my attention. If it weren’t for you fucking morons and your obsession with talking about it every single fucking day on every single fucking platform available, I never would have heard of critical race theory. 

And i still don’t know what it is or why I as a liberal apparently want to foist it upon our nation and indoctrinate school children into its teachings. Or policies. Or is it a method? Fuck if I know!

But y’all dipshits seem to be really worked up about this CRT shit, so I have to assume either it’s a made-up bogeyman along the lines of satanic heavy metal subliminal messages, Antifa Capitol rioters, and pizza parlor sex dungeons or it’s a real thing that I should support. Because if y’all moronic dinguses are against it, it’s almost certainly good for humanity. So I think I’ll go read up on it tonight.

Thanks y’all!

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Here's a good example of systemic racism.

Deed restrictions forbidding sales of property/homes to Negroes were outlawed in terms of judicial enforcement in 1948.  Problem solved, right?

Well, no.  They could still be privately enforced, which is not in any way equivalent to legal enforcement, but still one hell of a deterrent to potential purchasers of color.  So they were still written into deeds as a warning not to sell your house to any darkies up until 1968.

These things were common in any decent neighborhood in America until they were finally outlawed completely by the Civil Rights Act of 1968.  This wasn't just HP or Piney Point or Tarrytown, it was err'where.

Even though they weren't enforceable, consider the effect of knowing that those people over there in the nice neighborhood detest and fear you so much that they don't just refuse to deal with you, they write it into the fucking deeds.

De jure discrimination may be largely outlawed in this day and age, but the hangover effects still linger.

I think housing and marriage (which are both affected by incarceration) are two areas of past discrimination and racism that have had perhaps the most lasting and severe effects on black individuals. 

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

A quick timeline:

Most of the systems in this country were built in the first 364 of Europeans being here. This obviously predates America as a country. Our educational, housing, healthcare, transportation, monetary, and just about every other system was built for white people. It intentionally left others out and relegated most to abject poverty. When “freedom” finally arrived, there were no ladders out of the hole to go along with it.

The idea that everything has been fixed in these last 55 years is laughable. We are operating the same systems with a few tweaks and wondering why not much has changed. 

None of this even addresses the mentality/culture of people who have experienced oppression. A great quote to sum it up:

If you can control a man's thinking you do not have to worry about his action. When you determine what a man shall think you do not have to concern yourself about what he will do. If you make a man feel that he is inferior, you do not have to compel him to accept an inferior status, for he will seek it himself. If you make a man think that he is justly an outcast, you do not have to order him to the back door. He will go without being told; and if there is no back door, his very nature will demand one.

I like to use a chart like this in my classes to hammer it home a bit

Slavery-Was-So-Long-Ago-by-Zerflin-4_Lin

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

And that somebody that stumbled onto it was an intern for one of the Fox News evening shows.

I'm on mobile so I can't move the quotes into topical order, but I think those who are downplaying the prominence of CRT and intersectionality are mistaken. I have been in academia in some form for 15 years, mostly in the social sciences, and both are discussed in a wide variety of classes in many different disciplines. If it's a social science, I can pretty confidently say CRT and intersectionality are discussed in detail in multiple classes and are likely a central component of at least one class. I'm not equating "discusses race" with CRT. For better or worse, it is not just some obscure theory that the right wing dug up to make a boogie man, though I'm not saying some conservatives' obsession with it is directly equivalent to its prominence either.

Edited by KYHorn

7 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

CRT is an evolution of postmodernism and of cultural Marxism-- the modifier "cultural" to Marxism being needed since Marxism deals primarily with issues of money (haves vs have nots) whereas CRT (and certain thinkers in postmodernism) puts the Marxist trope onto race. 

There is adequately detailed information available on CRT by cogent thinkers online; i t's not hard to understand that it is at its core a divisive ideology.

This is 100% wrong. 

7 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

CRT is harmful to everyone.  It sows division.  It makes whites feel bad about something they had nothing to do with.  It fosters a victimhood mentality in minorities.  Confirmation bias is one of the strongest force in our brains. When you are convinced that you are oppressed, you will see it everywhere and it will ruin your life in one way or another. It won't allow you, after experiencing a shortcoming, to learn and grow.

This is also not what the crux of CRT is and what it’s used to analyze.

And it’s not clear what you’re inferring by the part that’s bold because then the question needs to be asked what you’re taking about and how that relates to CRT. 

that may be CRT's thesis, sure. But that isn't really true. If it were true, then Nigerian American immigrants would be facing far higher rates of wrongful convictions than they do; anecdotally I would think they face far less issues with law than the average American.  Then again, Nigerian Americans likely have intact family structures and many other reasons why they don't run afoul of law and order.  America would do better to see how that works instead of getting on the CRT bandwagon.

This is also 100% wrong.  And it’s fully of fallacies with no evidence to back up the claim. 

12 minutes ago, Pancho said:

This is 100% wrong. 

This is also not what the crux of CRT is and what it’s used to analyze.

And it’s not clear what you’re inferring by the part that’s bold because then the question needs to be asked what you’re taking about and how that relates to CRT. 

Well there's also the weird implication by Sack that people shouldn't feel bad about stuff they had nothing to do with. I feel bad about lots of stuff I had nothing to do with because, you know, it was really bad. The Holocaust, Mỹ Lai Massacre, 9/11, Oklahoma's existence. Why wouldn't people feel bad about bad things?

In reality what Sack was trying to say is that he thinks people want him to feel personally responsible for things he didn't do, but his word choice pretty obviously gives away his real motives. He wants to stick his fingers in his ears and pretend the bad stuff never happened because not only does he not feel responsible for it, he doesn't even want to feel bad about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

May be I have it wrong, and am open to correction. My understanding is that DEI is basically one of the tools to implement CR T. DEI almost always starts with the assumption that a place is racist and therefore needs a DEI intervention, which is a CRT assertion.

This is also 100% wrong and CRT has nothing to do with DEI initiatives. 

You are also—checks notes—wrong yet again by saying the creation of DEI at an institution or business means that business or institution is racist and the purpose of the DEI is to implement CRT. 

. /giphy.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, KYHorn said:

This is my take on it as well.

I disagree, if you are saying it is not taken seriously (I realize that may not be exactly what you're saying). It is taken very seriously in many and diverse academic disciplines and definitely has moved beyond the theoretical, especially in academia.

I think housing and marriage (which are both affected by incarceration) are two areas of past discrimination and racism that have had perhaps the most lasting and severe effects on black individuals. 

I'm on mobile so I can't move the quotes into topical order, but I think those who are downplaying the prominence of CRT and intersectionality are mistaken. I have been in academia in some form for 15 years, mostly in the social sciences, and both are discussed in a wide variety of classes in many different disciplines. If it's a social science, I can pretty confidently say CRT and intersectionality are discussed in detail in multiple classes and are likely a central component of at least one class. I'm not equating "discusses race" with CRT. For better or worse, it is not just some obscure theory that the right wing dug up to make a boogie man, though I'm not saying some conservatives' obsession with it is directly equivalent to its prominence either.

What I mean by "so theoretical" is that "critical studies" of almost any ilk attempt to explain lots of things, hence "theory."  They come up pretty short, most of the time, in delivering actual solutions short of "tear it all down and start over."

By studying the origin of problems, one can find solutions, no doubt.  But critical studies tend to be deconstructionist by nature and don't tend to offer practical solutions to the subjects under "critique."

That's why I find DEI, for example, to be somewhat practical and therefore not a direct product of CRT.  You can take bits and pieces of information and analysis from CRT and devise solutions based on them, but those bits and pieces often aren't unique to CRT.  And, CRT would probably criticize any such solutions as incremental and insufficient.

For example, most people seem to agree that black folk and others have gotten a shit deal here and maybe we should do something about it.  That notion is not unique to CRT.  DEI seems to be a response to that notion within the context of UT.

7 hours ago, KYHorn said:

Anybody in here except ArmyBrat actually lived through the red and yellow segment of that timeline? 

If you yourself squeezed out some kids anytime recent or in the future,  what's to stop them from growing up, going to school, getting in college, getting a job, getting a mortgage, having a healthy fruitful family and life? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll give the OP cash money, right now, if -- no googling -- he can tell us, coherently and with some level of detail, what "critical race theory" actually is.

A theory that teaches white kids it's their fault and they're racist for everything. :)

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Anybody in here except ArmyBrat actually lived through the red and yellow segment of that timeline? 

If you yourself squeezed out some kids anytime recent or in the future,  what's to stop them from growing up, going to school, getting in college, getting a job, getting a mortgage, having a healthy fruitful family and life? 

It isn't about "you" or an individual.  The question isn't about whether a 16 year old today is able to get into college.  It is about the disproportionality at the population scale.

Another unfortunate reality to consider, since you mention college, is that the cost of living has been outpaced healthcare costs, which has been outpaced by higher education costs.  So if we looked solely at access to higher education, we would need to consider the constantly growing financial hurdle affecting the entire population along with systemic issues affecting subsets of our population. 

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

It isn't about "you" or an individual.  The question isn't about whether a 16 year old today is able to get into college.  It is about the disproportionality at the population scale.

Another unfortunate reality to consider, since you mention college, is that the cost of living has been outpaced healthcare costs, which has been outpaced by higher education costs.  So if we looked solely at access to higher education, we would need to consider the constantly growing financial hurdle affecting the entire population along with systemic issues affecting subsets of our population. 

spacer.png

It kinda sounds like the problem is actually a generalized problem of rising costs, and then some bit about segments of the population just got hitched onto the end of the wagon there.

Can you make it concrete for me and the other dumb-dumbs in the audience please?

-things are expensive

-things are doubly expensive for certain people whose demographic were wronged in the past

-therefore we need to [xxx] for them in the future?

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

It kinda sounds like the problem is actually a generalized problem of rising costs, and then some bit about segments of the population just got hitched onto the end of the wagon there.

Can you make it concrete for me and the other dumb-dumbs in the audience please?

-things are expensive

-things are doubly expensive for certain people whose demographic were wronged in the past

-therefore we need to [xxx] for them in the future?

I don't believe CRT identifies solutions.  It looks critically at our systems and points to problems. It is up to our institutions to develop solutions.

The whole reason right-wing media outlets (like Tucker and Fox and Friends) say it is scary is because it acknowledges your first two bullet points.** They feel that knowing those realities promotes victimhood and makes people ashamed, etc.  When in reality CRT is just understanding how the world works (which you acknowledge in your first two bullets.)  

** other than the reasons this fits right-wing media's culture war playbook perfectly.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

A quick timeline:

@Johnny Sack, a rich white male born into multi-generational wealth, will soon come along and post his favorite bar chart showing single parent families amongst blacks and say “see blacks, this is your problem, get your shit together!”

15 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

CRT is an evolution of postmodernism and of cultural Marxism-- the modifier "cultural" to Marxism being needed since Marxism deals primarily with issues of money (haves vs have nots) whereas CRT (and certain thinkers in postmodernism) puts the Marxist trope onto race. 

There is adequately detailed information available on CRT by cogent thinkers online; it's not hard to understand that it is at its core a divisive ideology.

You were able to fit Marxism in there 4 times, I'm impressed. You trying to win some aggy version of scrabble?

karl-marx-tv0.jpg

I think as we get older we forget how much stupid and meaningless shit we had to read in college. 99.9% of these kids will memorize this CRT material for a week, forget most of it after a weekend binge, and then use the small amount they retained for arguments on Surly. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GW Hayduke said:

I don't believe CRT identifies solutions.  It looks critically at our systems and points to problems. It is up to our institutions to develop solutions.

how do you reconcile the fact that solutions for the future dont solve the problems in the past?

3 kids of 3 different shades born yesterday - what problems do they face today, and tomorrow, that institutions need to develop solutions for?

• Hook 'Em 1