2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

1 minute ago, Updawg said:

Still don’t understand why they couldn’t do contraflow.

I would have left in the middle of the night a while back. Now they are fucked. Probably gas shortages and all that.

Needed 12-24 hours. I’ve been following NOLA Twitter reporting for the past 48 hours and it seems that people have been very proactive and early in evacuating - after the voluntary evacuation order was issued yesterday, people did wake up in the middle of the night to leave. Anecdotally, it looks like I-10 was packed in the morning and there was a big lull around noon. Yeah, there’s definitely the broader question of how to enact contraflow when these things always pop up so quickly, but all in all in hasn’t been too bad. Keep in mind it was August 28 when Nagin and Blanco said that this was the big one and we needed to GTFO immediately. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I saw something saying anything under 50 hours away and they can’t do contraflow.

I guess they still need ingress to bring in supplies and prepare.

I haven’t lived near the coast in years. And there are a lot more people so I probably have no clue

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What’s the bullshit, exactly?

IMO, the lack of preparation for evacuating people who don’t have cars - which is a lot of New Orleanians. Obviously COVID complicates things, but with the utter outrage 16 years ago over the lack of transportation for the city’s poor, there’s really no excuse. People in the 7th, 9th and 3rd wards and New Orleans East are going to die in the next week from heat stroke, dehydration and lack of access to medical care. Obviously they won’t open up the Dome again because of the optics - this time it’s the Convention Center. 

• Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That more than 22 hours ago the mayor shutdown any idea of a contraflow, urging those inside the levees to hunker down. That they are working on post storm evacuations. I understand if you live in the NE and hurricanes don't usually happen, but they live on what's a bullseye for hurricanes and she's acting like, 3 days before landfall, nothing can be done til after the storm. That's bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of you modelers have any updated projections on estimated time of landfall?  Seems the oscillation may have changed it a bit but I have no idea which way.  Thanks. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That there isn’t a plan that has been practiced to have every cop, fire truck,  coast guard, and non ambulance vehicle blocking and redirecting traffic on ramps along i10 to get people to Texas or Mississippi within 8 hours of hitting the oh shit button. Yes, it would be hard, some mistakes might get made, but it is possible and would save lives.  But people have to have their heads extracted from their asses and not be afraid of the political  blow back if they made the call too soon or it didn’t go perfectly according to plan.

• Rage+1 1

Hopefully this won’t be as bad as what I’ve been reading. I don’t understand why their plans for things like this aren’t much better than 16 years ago. I remember getting ragey seeing all those school buses they could have used. 

I love Louisiana. Every time I have been I have had a great time. Love the food, music and drinks. But this relying solely on the levy deal and tell people to GTFO seems inadequate after what happened in 2005. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

One of the reasons I would have left 2 days ago, everything about this storm, since jumpstreet has been ominous. In Texas, becuase of Rita, all lanes would have been outbound. 

I lived on the coast for 5 years, so get why it's hard to just pack up and.leave, but this storm? Shit. People need to have a hard list of what's really important to take and what you can leave behind. Every decision delays, that's why living in hurricane country, you need lists of yes and nos and get the fuck out. Also, being married really slows down the evacuation process.  I found being single shaved about 12 hours off my evac time. 

exactly.  have to be able to pack it up and be proactive about it. 

i remember calling my mother 3 or 4 days before Ike hit and telling her to GTFO. 1 meter of water and a lost home later - right move. at least in that moment in time. 

every time i open this thread i keep thinking about Ida Delaney. 

good luck NOLA

Unless you are poor with limited options why would you not gtfo. Even in the best case scenario you will be without power, gas, ice etc.

I always try to tell my Houston family to bail but they like to stick it out. No idea why. Probably for the best though

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Unless you are poor with limited options why would you not gtfo. Even in the best case scenario you will be without power, gas, ice etc.

I always try to tell my Houston family to bail but they like to stick it out. No idea why. Probably for the best though

I only have one Houston family member left and I guarantee she would have stayed.  They evacuated for Rita, and they won't again. 

Edited by dcbc

I’m not from Houston but I live here. About a year ago when it looked like Laura (storm that wrecked Lake Charles) was tracking toward Houston, about 3-5 days out, I suggested to my girlfriend that we be ready to bail. She is from here originally and summarily dismissed that idea. I didn’t understand her logic because it was based on her family staying through Ike and being out of power for a week. Hello - that’s the point.

Human beings are weird.
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Updawg said:

32 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I only have one Houston family member left and I guarantee she would have stayed.  They evacuated for Rita, and they won't again. 

Rita.  After Rita, none of my Houston-area relatives/friends are willing to evacuate outside of one or two who are on the outskirts and can head west or east.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Hopefully this won’t be as bad as what I’ve been reading. I don’t understand why their plans for things like this aren’t much better than 16 years ago. I remember getting ragey seeing all those school buses they could have used. 

They don't want to (or can't) spend the money on such planning (or they want to pass it to a future mayor or whatever, thinking it won't happen on their watch).  Maybe they are putting that money into other measures, like pumps that are broken a few days before a major hurricane.  Some don't want to be seen as fear mongers.  

There's plenty of other reasons - one of the recent hurricanes, and I can't remember if it was LA or Texas, but they had school buses and they weren't going to allow the drivers to take their families on the buses and drivers didn't want to be separated from families so it was going to turn into a shitshow.

With the contraflow stuff, I've heard some of it involves them wanting to get a bunch of supplies/equipment/people into the area rapidly and they have to keep the major roads  open to incoming traffic, but I don't now about that.  Makes some sense - the moment you flip those highways/roads to contraflow, nothing is going to be able to use them to get in, but it seems like there are other ways to get those folks in.

There's been about 3-4 recent hurricanes along the Gulf Coast that make me think "okay, somebody is going to finally start making some serious changes in road planning, flood control, flood plains (including buying out homes and building more retention/drainage), etc." but it doesn't seem like it's happening as fast as it should.

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

They don't want to (or can't) spend the money on such planning (or they want to pass it to a future mayor or whatever, thinking it won't happen on their watch).  Maybe they are putting that money into other measures, like pumps that are broken a few days before a major hurricane.  Some don't want to be seen as fear mongers.  

There's plenty of other reasons - one of the recent hurricanes, and I can't remember if it was LA or Texas, but they had school buses and they weren't going to allow the drivers to take their families on the buses and drivers didn't want to be separated from families so it was going to turn into a shitshow.

With the contraflow stuff, I've heard some of it involves them wanting to get a bunch of supplies/equipment/people into the area rapidly and they have to keep the major roads  open to incoming traffic, but I don't now about that.  Makes some sense - the moment you flip those highways/roads to contraflow, nothing is going to be able to use them to get in, but it seems like there are other ways to get those folks in.

There's been about 3-4 recent hurricanes along the Gulf Coast that make me think "okay, somebody is going to finally start making some serious changes in road planning, flood control, flood plains (including buying out homes and building more retention/drainage), etc." but it doesn't seem like it's happening as fast as it should.

I mean, there’s been a $15B upgrade to the levee system, and there is likely no other area in the country with such dedicated federal and state focus on hurricane preparedness- but yes, definitely. I’ve never understood how Teedee just accepted that the century-old pump system was shit. But we also need to focus on the huge role coastal erosion has had on hurricanes, our natural hurricane barrier, the result of climate change and human activity. 

58 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I’m not from Houston but I live here. About a year ago when it looked like Laura (storm that wrecked Lake Charles) was tracking toward Houston, about 3-5 days out, I suggested to my girlfriend that we be ready to bail. She is from here originally and summarily dismissed that idea. I didn’t understand her logic because it was based on her family staying through Ike and being out of power for a week. Hello - that’s the point.

Human beings are weird.

Ike and Harvey are not common. There was no reason for Houston proper to evacuate for Laura. The coastal areas, sure. People’s over reaction is worse, as those people just clog the roads for those who truly need to get out. Yes, human beings are weird, overreacting and only thinking of themselves, and then thinking everyone else who doesn’t think like them must be weird. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Yeah. I guess it will take time to get over that Rita cluster. But damn that’s dumb. Lots of Aggie in Houston

I can’t think of a single worse fucking thing than being in Houston in August, having just endured a hurricane, and having no electricity (read:AC) for a week.  Food all thawed and fucked up, 100* with 80% humidity in the house gtfo.  I don’t understand it. 

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I can’t think of a single worse fucking thing than being in Houston in August, having just endured a hurricane, and having no electricity (read:AC) for a week.  Food all thawed and fucked up, 100* with 80% humidity in the house gtfo.  I don’t understand it. 

We were out for three weeks after Alicia.

It was miserable even as a 7 year old.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Bunch of people want to test out those generacs 

41 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I mean, there’s been a $15B upgrade to the levee system, and there is likely no other area in the country with such dedicated federal and state focus on hurricane preparedness- but yes, definitely. I’ve never understood how Teedee just accepted that the century-old pump system was shit.

Numbers from the Sewerage and Water Board said Friday 115 out of 120 pumps in the city were working, and all of those working were at full capacity.

"We have these rain events and we are prepared as much as possible, but we are a city that floods," Cantrell said. "If we get too much (rain), too soon, we're going to see street flooding as we have always seen."

When asked if this was as good as the flash flood protection gets, Cantrell replied "this is as good as it gets right now."

That's pretty damned ragey.  115 out of 120 pumps are at full capacity, while 5 are down.

41 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

But we also need to focus on the huge role coastal erosion has had on hurricanes, our natural hurricane barrier, the result of climate change and human activity. 

That last part, plus stuff like the pumps, is the bit I think of when I mentioned about passing it on to a future administration, at least the barrier part.

I keep circling back to either they (coastal cities) put a lot more money into evacuation infrastructure, or into mitigation (barriers, pumps, more flood-control areas, etc.).  NOLA is a special case though.  In theory, Houston has some room to put into more water retention/etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Yeah. I guess it will take time to get over that Rita cluster. But damn that’s dumb. Lots of Aggie in Houston

The Rita thing was fucking nuts.  Plenty were probably thinking they'd rather take their chances at home, especially if Rita had thrown a shit-ton of rain and/or tornadoes at them while they were stuck on the highways for hours on end.

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Human beings are weird.

My power was out for 13 days for Ike.  My wife and I and her sister and husband rented a house in Fredericksburg and just stayed there.  Weather was perfect as their was a cool front. No reason to swamp it out with no power.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think the scariest part for me was when the power went out at night and all you could hear was this howling creepy wind and you could hear all manner of crashing sounds not having a clue what was happening as things were being blown off building etc…and then seeing the aftermath the next morning. I wasn’t in any real danger but when you’ve made the decision to stay and nightfall hits and you hear that sound and you know…it’s too late to leave.

my heart goes out to those who do not have the ability to leave. Hopefully, those without means that wanted to be evacuated have been. That bitch looks like a beast.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Jersey Man10 said:

He’s a corporate kiss butt man!

He was switched streaming platforms as the hurricane was hitting. He was talking on the phone with his wife, who was telling him the monetization numbers as he was reporting. It may have been an act, but I doubt it. 

Surly took over his chat and made him a star.  Where's my money?

Edited by washparkhorn