2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

They’re related though. The pressure differential is what causes the winds to rush from higher pressure areas surrounding a Low pressure center, and the coriolis effect causes the rightward deflection of that inward rushing air in the northern hemisphere. So Lows rotate counterclockwise and Highs rotate clockwise in this hemisphere. Lower pressure also usually implies the opportunity for stronger storms as air can rise easier convectively as opposed to sinking air of a high pressure area quashing thunderstorms.
A millibar is a metric measure denoting a unit of pressure per square cm if memory serves. Inches of mercury denotes the height of a column of mercury equal to a column of the atmosphere of same circumference from sea level to the it’s top at 59F/15C. 29.92” or 1013.2 MB is considered standard pressure. I’m sure a real meteorologist just cringed at all that, but it’s a quick an dirty explanation for the OP you replied to.

giphy.gif
  • Haha 1

All of my wife’s family other than her parents (both sets of grand parents, uncles/aunts, cousins, etc.) live in and around Metairie or Kenner. I checked with my father in law this morning, and it seems like every last one of them stayed for the storm. They aren’t the sharpest bunch but are generally good folks, and I hope they make it through ok.

My sister and her family live in Zachary which is just north of Baton Rouge.  I offered for them to come hang out here until it passes, but they stayed.  My BIL is pretty capable and they've been through many hurricanes, but I don't think they've been through one this strong before. 

9 minutes ago, Hate said:

My sister and her family live in Zachary which is just north of Baton Rouge.  I offered for them to come hang out here until it passes, but they stayed.  My BIL is pretty capable and they've been through many hurricanes, but I don't think they've been through one this strong before. 

Mine are East of there in Washington Parish. They should miss the worst of it.  Just had a whole house generator installed with about a week’s worth of fuel stored so they felt confident. I asked them what would they do if a tree fell on it.  Blank stares in reply.

Tried to get them to leave before the final path was better known, and they declined because they were worried about taking their cats. SMH.

1 minute ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

I mean, 6% of the population thinks they can beat up a grizzly bear. 12-16’ storm surge seems doable to some people. 

The key is to immediately make a great white your bitch, so you can saddle them up and use them like  a water taxi. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4