2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

What about the over 500 people on ventilators in the region? What happens when their power goes out for weeks? Did they already evacuate?

Dude, this is a news thread.  Don't CR this up with your Covid talk.  

Mississippi River now flowing backwards:

Storm surge and strong winds stopped the flow of the Mississippi River on Sunday near New Orleans and actually caused the flow to reverse – something the United States Geological Survey said is “extremely uncommon.”

Perrien noted that the river level rose about 7 feet due to the storm surge pushing up the river at the USGS gauge, located in Belle Chasse, about 20 miles south of New Orleans in southeastern Louisiana.

“During that time, the flow of the river slowed from about 2 feet per second down to about half a foot per second in the other direction,” Perrien said.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Good question. I’m not sure there’s anywhere nearby with capacity to take them

There isn't. I assume they all have back up generators with enough fuel to last quite a while.

it’s Louisiana, I assume that fuel never found it’s way to the hospitals and that some of the generators have had parts stolen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Looks like somebody needed some insurance money for a new boat.

This hits close to home because years ago when a hurricane was heading to my parents house in S. Florida my dad basically ”loosely” tied his 37 ft boat to the dock in our back yard hoping the hurricane would destroy it so he could get the insurance money.  The hurricane hit and ripped one of those old school satellite dishes off our roof, uprooted trees, damaged the house but the effing boat was still in perfect condition tied to the dock after the storm.  On a side note, having been in Hurricane Andrew (the one that devastated South Florida) I have no desire to be in a hurricane that strong ever again.  Scary shit that was.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Ryan Hall, Y'all  (YouTube)  75k subscribers

Not as much storm video, but good weather radars and graphics. 

Poor Ryan has been streaming for over 10hrs, so he's losing energy...   Featuring a Storm Chaser (Vince Waelti)  on the channel right now too, and sharing money ( $$'s) from today's hurricane stream with Vince...

Youtube commentator Ryan Hall: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHAT3Uvv-g3I8H3GhHWV7w 

Edited by LTtxfan

This hits close to home because years ago when a hurricane was heading to my parents house in S. Florida my dad basically ”loosely” tied his 37 ft boat to the dock in our back yard hoping the hurricane would destroy it so he could get the insurance money.  The hurricane hit and ripped one of those old school satellite dishes off our roof, uprooted trees, damaged the house but the effing boat was still in perfect condition tied to the dock after the storm.  On a side note, having been in Hurricane Andrew (the one that devastated South Florida) I have no desire to be in a hurricane that strong ever again.  Scary shit that was.

I drove through Homestead on the way to the Keys right after Andrew. Looked like an actual war zone.

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I saw this earlier

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

So appears the levee being overtopped is across from Belle Chase. Not many people live over there thankfully 

image.thumb.png.f8a3caf968d0c348940c8d720d41ffeb.png

Thanks for clarifying that it's on the other side of the river. They mentioned it on a Weather Channel stream saying something about Belle Chasse and the NAS.

• Hook 'Em 2