2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

32 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

Apparently Verizon is still up.  Everyone else is shit.

Used to work for them. Didn’t like the job, but they do spend a lot of time, money, and effort staying frosty for shit like this. Can’t speak to the other carriers. 

6 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Counterpoint: the government should stay out of people’s lives. They should take personal responsibility for their own health and well-being. It’s a massive overreach of the government to force people to do something like that. These are free people.

Countercounterpoint: people making dumbass decisions for themselves severely taxes already taxed systems. Fine if you want to make dumbass decisions, but don't expect the government to bail you out. 

• Hook 'Em 5

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Which is why not issuing a mandatory evacuation was fucking stupid.

this was projected to be a major hurricane a week ago and now we have more than a million people without electricity or water or sewage for weeks or longer.

Serious question---whether or not the everybody evacuated, wouldn't the power still have been knocked out either way? 

Obviously generators, electrical technician's equipment, massive amounts of water are all on the way (we volunteered a few straight trucks to help).  But how in the world do we help with their wastewater?  

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

Countercounterpoint: people making dumbass decisions for themselves severely taxes already taxed systems. Fine if you want to make dumbass decisions, but don't expect the government to bail you out. 

1 minute ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Counter-counter point: the government is going to be responsible for rescuing and taking care of people who stay behind, so it is certainly a reasonable for them to seek to reduce that burden. Also, if the last couple years hasn’t made it obvious, but we have a lot of morons in this country who are unwilling to take responsibility for their own health and well-being and end up burdening everyone else with their donkey brained decisions.

SUSTAINED!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan, MD said:

Counter-counter point: the government is going to be responsible for rescuing and taking care of people who stay behind, so it is certainly a reasonable for them to seek to reduce that burden. Also, if the last couple years hasn’t made it obvious, but we have a lot of morons in this country who are unwilling to take responsibility for their own health and well-being and end up burdening everyone else with their donkey brained decisions.

Counter-Counter-Counter point: people suck. 

Edit: and are very bad at risk analysis. 

Edited by Telegraph_it
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Eh, evac orders need to be issued with some restraint otherwise you get the Rita experience. As long as loss of life was not extremely high it's probably just as well to wait and see the storm path and damage and then relocate those folks that need it. Maybe plan ahead for places to temporarily relocate them? Idk, that seems like the best role for gubmint to play. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So, 1/3 of the Netherlands is below sea level, and they have buried all their low and medium voltage power lines.  Hell, a lot of Europe has done it.  

This should seriously be something that is done in the US, especially coastal areas.  

All the studies show it doesn't make sense to do in coastal areas prone to flooding and storm surge (which is why they don't), it just shifts the risks from wind damage to corrosive flooding and surge damage. Plus if one does go out it would be much, much longer before it could be restored.

Netherlands is partially below sea level but is not very prone to flooding.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
48 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:
A month without power???? Fuck that 

It was that way in Panama City when Hurricane Michael hit too. What's worse is the debris caused so many flat Gore's it made it harder on the power company vehicles.

giphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

A month without power???? Fuck that 

From personal experience, I went ~3 weeks without power after Ike in 2008. Luckily I had an employer with power so I could have full AC, internet, etc during the day. At night I had a generator that powered lights, TV, and a window AC unit. Basically my house turned into a studio apt for me as I moved into one room. It sucks but is bearable as long as parts of your city have power.

Evac if a major city is kind of damned if you do, damned if you don’t from the government’s standpoint.

If you know the levees are good to handle the storm surge and river levels it does more harm than good. If you’ve got a storm they’re obviously not built for you’ve got to get people out. If you’re in the grey area, impossible decision to make

KHOU has their sister station broadcasting and just driving around.  Holy fuck.  If I didn't have a generator I would be on the road.  Ain't shit gonna get turned back on for a while.  Unless you feel like tent camping in your front yard.  It's going to be a miserable September because it ain't gonna be until October til you get lights back on

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Evac if a major city is kind of damned if you do, damned if you don’t from the government’s standpoint.

If you know the levees are good to handle the storm surge and river levels it does more harm than good. If you’ve got a storm they’re obviously not built for you’ve got to get people out. If you’re in the grey area, impossible decision to make

Yeah, everyone who is saying OMG why didn't they evacuate days ago is missing that all it takes is one time they do that, and the storm shifts and everything is fine for thousands of dumbshits who don't understand weather or probability to decide they are never evacuating again.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Yeah, everyone who is saying OMG why didn't they evacuate days ago is missing that all it takes is one time they do that, and the storm shifts and everything is fine for thousands of dumbshits who don't understand weather or probability to decide they are never evacuating again.

I was reading that a lot of those smaller cities outside the levee system only have one road to get out of the city, basically via NOLA.  So if you also do mandatory evacuations of NOLA, all those people are then going to get trapped in/around NOLA.  Plus the contraflow cuts off supplies going into NOLA, as well as pulls law enforcement resources away from critical areas as they have to do contraflow traffic on the outbound highways. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

I wouldn't doubt that a lot of those little shotgun shacks in Central City will have quite a bit of roof damage, but it sounds like the levees and pumps did their jobs to keep most of the water out. In the city, at least, I think this will be remembered more as a wind event than flood one.

Have you heard from your boy?

About 9pm. He's ok. No word on damage.

Not sure how he is going to deal with the situation.

Can't stay and can't leave just yet.

Frustrating.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s also wrong to assume that people had the means to leave/evacuate.  Many did not, do not, and will not in the future.  How can you create a mandatory evacuation policy for those who don’t have the means to leave? 

Yes.

Mandatory evacuations are also completely voluntary. But the govt like to use the word mandatory as a scare tactic and warning that they cannot provide much (any) assistance in an emergency.

But on the note about people not having the means or ability, 100% that. If most of your friends and family are within a few miles of you, where do you go? And while we all hate folks that immediately impose on others, there are others that are the complete opposite. They would never dream of asking someone if they could stay at their house. They'll sleep in their car first which they don't want to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

You hear so much of this from people talking about Rita.  Granted, due to Katrina panic there were people far enough inland that left that didn't need to, but if that had come in as a Category 3 at Freeport as predicted a few days out, it would have been very, very bad.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, WBT said:

You hear so much of this from people talking about Rita.  Granted, there were people far enough inland that left that didn't need to, but if that had come in as a Category 3 at Freeport as predicted a few days out, it would have been very, very bad.

"I live in Katy, do I need to evacuate?!?!?!?!??!?!?!"

• Haha 1

Another Entergy note is they presented recommendation to New Orleans to build a new local generation station in New Orleans for just these occasions.  Options for 226MW and 128MW stations.  City wisely decided to build one, choosing the smaller 128MW station which went into operation a year ago in May 2020.

Its starting back up to be able to quickly restore emergency power in the NO area as its safely able to.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I not only fucking love his restaurants, but he’s a hell of a humanitarian

Yeah I frequent his restaurants when I can.  When I was in DC it was almost a weekly ritual.  I also donate to WCK when I can and god willing and the creek don't rise I'll retire from corporate america and contribute to WCK actively for my retirement years.

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seriously, I kind of want to punch Jose Andres in the face for sticking it out in NO. You're too valuable, sir. 

Servant leader going to servant leader but yeah I would be happier if he wasn't on the front line in this particular situation.

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

What's a good organization to donate to if we want to do what little we can to help out right now? Red cross?

Lotta links here -- go local if you can, it turns into direct aid quickly: https://gizmodo.com/how-to-help-hurricane-ida-victims-right-now-1847581474?fbclid=IwAR3DcVkxS_KZUFkmEpYnkzwbIM5uuBNlRV_WL74N9etJ31LHOg33QyMF00w

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It’s also wrong to assume that people had the means to leave/evacuate.  Many did not, do not, and will not in the future.  How can you create a mandatory evacuation policy for those who don’t have the means to leave? 

You just have to channel your inner definitelynothollywood colt and learn to piss all over everything you touch and make everything you say about politics without explicitly making it about politics. Once you reach that level of nirvana evacuating a hurricane is trivial.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3