2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

On 8/27/2021 at 12:22 PM, Storm the Field said:

Welp, Houston area won't get off completely unharmed. Wife's entire family is evacuating BR to spend Saturday-??? at our house.

Looks like they'll all be here until at least Wednesday. Good news is so far doesn't sound like there was any major damage to BIL's house in BR or wife's parents' house in Denham, but who knows when they'll get power back. Shouldn't be as long as for NOLA area.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Which is why not issuing a mandatory evacuation was fucking stupid.

this was projected to be a major hurricane a week ago and now we have more than a million people without electricity or water or sewage for weeks or longer.

You are out of your league here. Do you live in a Hurricane prone area?  Projected a week ago ?  Did you not see Sally a year ago do a duck hook east?  You can’t project with certainty a week out AND make forced evacuation declarations based on a week out.  

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Never, EVER donate to the red cross. They are a POS organization. Something like only 20% of donated money makes it to actual people in need. 

Did not know that. Shame that charities have to be so carefully vetted these days.

I cannot imagine having to restart the water and wastewater facilities that had to be shut down and left unmanned during the storm.  Any damaged equipment will take longer than normal to bring back into service due to parts and transportation shortages.  Not to mention consumables like chlorine and polymer, which were already in short supply before the storm due to the damn February freeze.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of getting those plants back up.

On a related note, I hope that the disruption to the petrochemical supplies doesn't further exacerbate the polymer shortage.  It sucks enough already.

Edited by Scheiss Meister
  • Hook 'Em 4

It has likely been discussed, but I was curious to see what traffic was like currently.  Most of I-10 between BR and NO says it will be closed until September 11th among other area roads.  Wow, that seems like a long time, but then again there was a lot of water and nowhere for it to go. 

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:

It has likely been discussed, but I was curious to see what traffic was like currently.  Most of I-10 between BR and NO says it will be closed until September 11th among other area roads.  Wow, that seems like a long time, but then again there was a lot of water and nowhere for it to go. 

I can’t speak for 10 & 12 in LA, but I just drove to the PNS airport from Baldwin County and it was eerily light. Normally at 8am central this time of year (late summer) , 10 is pretty pretty busy east and west bound. Obviously with little traffic coming east out of LA and MS , very easy drive. delta hasn’t missed a beat this whole weekend PNS to ATL. 

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Not a lot of man on the street stuff coming out of the city.  News coverage is on repeat since crews can't get to areas of the city blocked by power lines and debris.

Speaking of charities, my son has recently been feeding musicians, other hospitality people, and various homeless type freeloaders hit hard by Covid and benefits running out. He basically sets up at Trumpet Mafia concerts and events with some food and drink and does the barbque thing or preps at his house and then serves.  He is a musician and has not set up any kind of charity for tax purposes so he has been doing this out of his own pocket against my advice, since he himself is struggling even before this.

He has been getting his crypto mining set up with the help of some sweet govt loan he got but has been sending up the warning signals that that $ is running out, hence my advice to hold off on the charity, get things up and running, and then dole out some charity $.  He insists that the community needs him right now and refuses to wait.  He gets this from my ex wife who was a bit bat shit, but also was a ridiculously frustratingly charitable person.

Most of his work is centered around the Trumpet Mafia group concerts and events. Not sure of their status.

Once I get things figured out, I might enlist the Surly Mafia to see if we can get him legit and get some $ flowing.  Just streaming unfiltered thoughts right now to pass the time, so take it with a grain of salt or whatever the saying is

You should set up a separate thread for this, but if he incorporates as a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit, there are probably a lot of companies that will donate food and beverages, to cut his overhead expenses to little, or zero.

I've run my tailgate party this way for 20 years now, and we've raised over $100,000 for our selected charities during that time.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You should set up a separate thread for this, but if he incorporates as a 501(c)(3) charitable non-profit, there are probably a lot of companies that will donate food and beverages, to cut his overhead expenses to little, or zero.

I've run my tailgate party this way for 20 years now, and we've raised over $100,000 for our selected charities during that time.  

Miss your tailgate parties. Thanks for having me and the degenerates I brought with me.

19 minutes ago, markstanco said:

That does seem like a long time.  Seems like we are going to have a Katrina like humanitarian event.  The same, only different.  Better, but worse.

The Red Cross treat major disasters as time to refill their coffers for minor or personal disasters. I've long heard that if your house burns to the ground, the Red Cross is there to help you. When you are 1 of 10,000s impacted by a disaster, you're not going to hear much.

If anyone wants to donate, just consider giving money. Many with great intentions want to send food or clothing. While there is some need for that, most of the donated items are not needed. They will end up receiving more clothes than they need or want. Find organizations that will offer financial help to people. Or find a friend-of-a-friend and just give them $200.

If you can donate time and you have the ability to travel there, many people will need help cleaning and tossing out ruined furniture and household items. This will be occurring in the weeks and months ahead. Or donate cash to groups that do this. The real help people need, and you can assist, will not be this week but in the months ahead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Not sure if this will post or not.  Coworker of mine lives in Larose - evacuated to Houston but knows a bunch of people who stayed down the bayou and rode out the storm.  He got this video sent to him.  A dry dock broke loose from Bollinger Shipyard (not sure which one, maybe in Fourchon...with a 250+ foot PSV docked in it.

https://www.facebook.com/messenger_media/?thread_id=117768715223435&attachment_id=263746398905801&message_id=mid.%24gAABrHCpvwYuByJz7IV7l1eG2O-wl

OK.  Got a report from my son:

He is fine and his house seems to have survived without a scratch (Central City area-roughly intersection of Freret and Jackson). Neighbors have some minor damage. Cars are good and filled with gas, so he has that option if roads ever open up.

His GF is in Chicago right now but has been able to text with some spotty coverage and she has been relaying info to us in Austin.  Texting has been in and out.

He also reports that looting is, in fact, already getting bad.  See my post above about how this might go.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

OK.  Got a report from my son:

He is fine and his house seems to have survived without a scratch (Central City area-roughly intersection of Freret and Jackson). Neighbors have some minor damage. Cars are good and filled with gas, so he has that option if roads ever open up.

His GF is in Chicago right now but has been able to text with some spotty coverage and she has been relaying info to us in Austin.  Texting has been in and out.

He also reports that looting is, in fact, already getting bad.  See my post above about how this might go.

I know CC has gotten better, but that is an extremely dangerous area of town in general. It’s blocks from where the Magnolia used to be. How does he feel safety-wise right now?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Never, EVER donate to the red cross. They are a POS organization. Something like only 20% of donated money makes it to actual people in need. 

My experience was always good with Red Cross and when in the service they supported my guys well when we were deployed and they had family emergencies to deal with at home (Communication and travel if needed).

Based on this I wanted to fact check the statement.

According to these websites and several others they identify 90% of American red Cross funds going to programs or assistance and only 10% to overhead. 

https://www.charitywatch.org/charities/american-red-cross

This site has similar 90% number.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/530196605

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I cannot imagine having to restart the water and wastewater facilities that had to be shut down and left unmanned during the storm.  Any damaged equipment will take longer than normal to bring back into service due to parts and transportation shortages.  Not to mention consumables like chlorine and polymer, which were already in short supply before the storm due to the damn February freeze.  I'm glad I'm not in charge of getting those plants back up.

On a related note, I hope that the disruption to the petrochemical supplies doesn't further exacerbate the polymer shortage.  It sucks enough already.

You can get scheiss wasser process going pretty quickly if you have power.  Disinfection is a distant priority as is polymer for enhanced treatment.  Now drinking water is fucked.  Your filters are probably damaged, you have to flush everything, and you have tons of source water concern.  I would be very nervous about any drinking water for a while.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Gooby said:

I may be in the minority here, but I'll always give to the Red Cross.  My parents live up near Canyon Lake and their house was largely wiped out when the lake topped the spillway in 2002.  We finally are able to get back in to our subdivision after about a week, and it's just one of those "Where the hell do you start?"-type deals.  My dad and I were out working in the electrical panel, so that what was left of the house wouldn't burn down when electricity was turned back on, and securing a bunch of loose wires that formerly went to some outbuildings.  It was balls hot and we had been at it for the majority of the day and it still seemed like there was so f-u-c-k-i-n-g much to do...it literally felt like a hopeless deal, because damn near all we had was lost or ruined.  About that time, the RC comes through in a van with a hot meal and plenty to drink and some supplies that we kinda needed, but maybe could have done without.  And most of all, encouragement.  Let us know if you need anything, or if there's anything we can do for you.  Some Menonites were rolling in to the area and were coordinating with the RC, and they said they could send them by if we felt we needed the help.

I know this is anecdotal and in the grand scheme of things it was small, but the RC picked us up that day, and I'll not forget it.

I'm glad they were there to give you a hot meal. I'm not sure that justifies these kind of salaries for folks that are supposed to be helping:

• $709,164:  Gail McGovern, President and CEO
  • $700,415:  Clifford Holtz, COO
  • $651,238:  Shaun Gilmore, Chief Transformation Officer
  • $642,142:  James C Hrouda, President, Biomedical Services
  • $509,225:  Brian Rhoa, CFO

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

I know CC has gotten better, but that is an extremely dangerous area of town in general. It’s blocks from where the Magnolia used to be. How does he feel safety-wise right now?

Not sure about right now.  In general he feels pretty good.  He is a mere nine blocks from St. Charles and his street has seen some remodeling and development.  I was there two years ago and I met all the neighbors, who were pretty much working class lower middle class.  One of his neighbors was murdered a couple of months ago, but that was a domestic family dispute and the trigger man is still on the run-not drug related.

CC gets worse once you cross  S. Claiborne/90 from my recollection.

I'm glad they were there to give you a hot meal. I'm not sure that justifies these kind of salaries for folks that are supposed to be helping:

What’s the appropriate salary for a CEO at an org this size?
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don't know. Doesn't seem too bad to me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This is my fault, I'm an active participant in moving the topic of conversation off the hurricane and subsequent damage to the Red Cross. I'm of the opinion there are better organizations to support, particularly local ones who have a better understanding of the needs of the community. But to each their own.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

You just have to channel your inner definitelynothollywood colt and learn to piss all over everything you touch and make everything you say about politics without explicitly making it about politics. Once you reach that level of nirvana evacuating a hurricane is trivial.

i mean, i was obviously mocking a group of people here...but how on god's green earth is someone pointing out that a bunch of people would not have the means to evacuate if given an order in any way political?

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Edit: I deleted, off topic.

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, are all Orgs equal to you? Because to me, they're not. One is a non profit where extra money can always be funneled to those in need. 

I get really tired of the whole "nonprofit employees shouldn't make any money no matter how large they are" narrative.  RC is huge, and is competing for the same strong executive leaders that other nonprofits AND for-profits are trying to lure.  Big nonprofits need to pay competitive salaries, from the C-level on down.  And the RC's Charity Navigator report shows they do a great job of using $ for program.  

Anyway, that's my only post on this, but I hear that a lot about nonprofits and it drives me nuts.  Back to Ida...

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ABSR said:

My experience was always good with Red Cross and when in the service they supported my guys well when we were deployed and they had family emergencies to deal with at home (Communication and travel if needed).

Based on this I wanted to fact check the statement.

According to these websites and several others they identify 90% of American red Cross funds going to programs or assistance and only 10% to overhead. 

https://www.charitywatch.org/charities/american-red-cross

This site has similar 90% number.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/530196605

The Red Cross is not good with large emergencies. I don't know if anyone is. Has there ever been a hurricane where the general consensus that FEMA did a great job? Unfortunately in large scale emergencies there are 1000s of unique situations that the Red Cross or anyone can't deal with well.

Even take what JJ Watt did with Harvey. He did a fantastic job in raising money. He did more than anyone should expect or ask of 1 person. Nothing but respect for his effort. Still, the raising of the money can be easier than distribution. Attempting to distribute the money will always lead to problems because of different needs. And accepting that some people will receive more aid than others.

12 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

i mean, i was obviously mocking a group of people here...but how on god's green earth is someone pointing out that a bunch of people would not have the means to evacuate if given an order in any way political?

Your intellect is apparently only exceeded by a three year old jar of mayonnaise and every other sentient being on this planet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1