2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

4 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry to hear that. Don't know what kind of blinders you'd need not to accept the reality of this terrible situation. 

Everything is not going to be under 10 feet of water.  Get real. This situation is bad enough without your completely unnecessary exaggerations.  

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Nightfall…with this beast still acting like it’s in the gulf…👀❤️

It is moving so slowly. Fuck. We are not used to this behavior from a hurricane. Damn even though the damage will be heartbreaking daylight can’t come soon enough. Nothing scarier than dealing with this at night.

Harvey in 2017.  It didn't move for two fucking days.

• Rage+1 1

If NOLA is getting this much damage tonight, imagine how much worse this would have been if Ida's track was just 20 or 30 miles east.

Yeah, earlier in the day I thought NO might be ok. But this thing is moving so slow and not weakening. Terrible. Would not want to be in that city right now.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So apparently, Entergy made the decision to not bury powerlines in NOLA as it would be too expensive. They also apparently didn't do any improvements on anything since 2005.  

No one in America can afford to bury existing lines. Especially when you are at or under sea level. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So apparently, Entergy made the decision to not bury powerlines in NOLA as it would be too expensive. They also apparently didn't do any improvements on anything since 2005.  

New to America? Wait until you see what comes out of of the O&G and petrochemical assets.

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Everything is not going to be under 10 feet of water.  Get real. This situation is bad enough without your completely unnecessary exaggerations.  

Between you and the weather nerd we’ve been listening to for a decade now about everything weather related, even if he was obviously being tongue in cheek, I know who I’d  place my money on…

im sorry for your son and he’s in our thoughts. 

3 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Yeah, earlier in the day I thought NO might be ok. But this thing is moving so slow and not weakening. Terrible. Would not want to be in that city right now.

It should be criminal how unprepared the officials around NOLA were.  Laplace is under water and St John Parish didn't even have a voluntary evacuation.

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

New to America? Wait until you see what comes out of of the O&G and petrochemical assets.

No.  And work in the industry. I know Entergy added a surcharge to bills post Katrina.  Since they are a utility, they own the shit.  They should be maintaining it.  

I know, I know.  But yeah.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

They buried all the lines in my neighborhood sometime between 2008 and 2013 when I moved in.  The only time I ever lost power was when a transformer went down. That was once in over 6 years.

Yeah, that’s the exception not the rule. They’ve denied doing such in everything south of the beltway after Ike and folks being powerless for 2 months. 

14 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Sorry about your situation. I'd recommend avoiding this board if my dumbass commentary gets you so upset. 

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

Isn’t it common for coffins to float down the streets in NOLA during these events? Not sure a buried power line would improve anything. Maybe, I dunno

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Isn’t it common for coffins to float down the streets in NOLA during these events? Not sure a buried power line would improve anything. Maybe, I dunno

they arent actually floating. common misconception

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xbpirg1gpc3rsftojv 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

It should be criminal how unprepared the officials around NOLA were.  Laplace is under water and St John Parish didn't even have a voluntary evacuation.

Do you blame just NOLA officials or can you blame officials all over the state?  The State of Louisiana is in bad shape.  LSU has no money. Nearly all of Lake Charles is still under blue tarps last time I went thru there (few months ago). 

This isn't (just) a NOLA thing, it's a Louisiana as a state thing.  

13 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Between you and the weather nerd we’ve been listening to for a decade now about everything weather related, even if he was obviously being tongue in cheek, I know who I’d  place my money on…

im sorry for your son and he’s in our thoughts. 

My son lives in Central City area close to St Charles. They had 2' of water for Katrina.  They are not getting 10' or 9' anything close to that.  God you guys are assholes.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Do you blame just NOLA officials or can you blame officials all over the state?  The State of Louisiana is in bad shape.  LSU has no money. Nearly all of Lake Charles is still under blue tarps last time I went thru there (few months ago). 

This isn't (just) a NOLA thing, it's a Louisiana as a state thing.  

Louisiana has long been on the verge of collapse.  The statewide mismanagement is disgusting.  

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

My son lives in Central City area close to St Charles. They had 2' of water for Katrina.  They are not getting 10' or 9' anything close to that.  God you guys are assholes.

So he is Uptown?  I lived at Fern and Hampson for 3 years in college.

By the way, this site is a bunch of assholes.  Good assholes, but assholes nonetheless.  

However, almost all of us love NOLA.  I lived there.  I have a ton of friends that are still there.  So far, I know one evacuated to Destin (maybe should have gone further).  I do not know the status of any others as of yet.  Humor is our way of dealing with things.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Maybe you ought to sit this one out for a few rounds, it's nothing personal but Surly probably isn't the best place for somebody who is justifiably on the ragged edge.  But here's the thing it's not gonna change for just you so best advice is take a breath and do something else.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Ida's path and strength are a lot worse for New Orleans than even Katrina.  Katrina was not nearly as powerful but a lot bigger.  Bigger storms are typically weaker but that doesn't mean a lot when you take a near direct hit.

5 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

So he is Uptown?  I lived at Fern and Hampson for 3 years in college.

By the way, this site is a bunch of assholes.  Good assholes, but assholes nonetheless.  

However, almost all of us love NOLA.  I lived there.  I have a ton of friends that are still there.  So far, I know one evacuated to Destin (maybe should have gone further).  I do not know the status of any others as of yet.  Humor is our way of dealing with things.

Greetings and Jackson for cross streets. 

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Ida's path and strength are a lot worse for New Orleans than even Katrina.  Katrina was not nearly as powerful but a lot bigger.  Bigger storms are typically weaker but that doesn't mean a lot when you take a near direct hit.

Katrina’s path was the absolute worst path for New Orleans.  It hit 20-30 miles East, meaning the due north winds of the northwest quadrant of the storm were stacking massive water on the south shore of Pontchartrain.   That caused the levee failures, along with the massive winds/rain.   

39 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Doesn't look like there will be anything left to loot. Everything will be under 10 ft of literal shit water.

Dude I think you are underestimating peoples abilities to loot during and post hurricane.  So many houses got looted during Katrina.