2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

I went to college in NOLA (Loyola).  I was lucky to never experience any sort of tropical weather (the first time I had one directly impact me was Harvey in 2017).  I feel for the students who had just gone back to school and had their first week after going online during the pandemic in 2020.  After Katrina, most students went and finished out the semesters at colleges all over the country.  The University of Texas took quite a few in.  I think they said 10-15% of the students did not come back, choosing to apply for transfers.  This year, the entering class (Class of 2025) was the largest class every to enroll.  This is just a gut punch to watch.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

That shit will wear you down. I miss living on the coast sometimes but hurricane season was always a beating. 

My last brush was 2005. The ex and I had an apartment in Nederland while we made plans to GTFO of southeast Texas. I took a job with Dell and my first day was the week Rita hit. I came up that week to start training and the ex stayed behind to finish out her last week at work and to finish packing up our apartment. When Rita looked to be headed our way, she packed what she could in the SUV, then drove out to Austin to evacuate. We spent our first month in Round Rock in an empty apartment on an air mattress with 2 folding camping chairs. First they had the county on lockdown for a week or two, then I had issues getting a Uhaul so we could go in and move our shit out of our apartment. Wound up having to rent one outside of Houston to take in.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

NOLA is in serious trouble. Ida is wobbling east it appears and they’re already seeing 65 mph sustained winds and gusting above 90.

I'm afraid so. Looking at that Entergy power outage map that was posted upthread, most of the area is without power. Right now, the CBD and French Quarter still have it, but it's going to be a long, dark, and scary night down there. Just keeping my fingers crossed that their pump system and levees hold out as this thing creeps closer and grinds it out.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Furk.

1 - I have family in La Place. They bugged out to family in Houston, so they’re safe. No idea about their house.

2 - OH MY GOD SOMEBODY SAVE ALL THE ANDOUILLE!!!!

At least they got out. I can’t believe how many people are willing to tempt fate by staying home through a storm like this. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ryan Hall, Y'all  (YouTube)  75k subscribers

Not as much storm video, but good weather radars and graphics. 

Poor Ryan has been streaming for over 10hrs, so he's losing energy...   Featuring a Storm Chaser (Vince Waelti)  on the channel right now too, and sharing money ( $$'s) from today's hurricane stream with Vince...

Youtube commentator Ryan Hall: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJHAT3Uvv-g3I8H3GhHWV7w 

Ryan has a background in meteorology...  his combination of various weather radars and graphics including 3D stuff showing this storm has been great.  He has added a 2nd Storm Chaser's live feed today and included it throughout his stream.

Good follow if you are really interested in more detailed weather analysis...

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 2

Northeast of New Orleans and Southern Mississippi are gonna be prime areas for tornados for the next several hours because of the slow movement of this hurricane right now...

Also another possible tropical storm just off coast of Africa to keep an eye on...  (higher percentage chance east coast for now)

Furk

Edited by LTtxfan

Just now, LTtxfan said:

Northeast of New Orleans and Southern Mississippi are gonna be prime areas for tornados for the next several hours because of the slow movement of this hurricane right now...

Well good thing all the people that live in those regions have really well constructed homes and plenty of liquidity to rebuild if those homes are somehow damaged.

Nightfall…with this beast still acting like it’s in the gulf…👀❤️

It is moving so slowly. Fuck. We are not used to this behavior from a hurricane. Damn even though the damage will be heartbreaking daylight can’t come soon enough. Nothing scarier than dealing with this at night.