2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

3 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

More like WF is deep in the Garden District and Family Dollar is in the Theft District.

Kiddo has a hot spot, working on some pictures to get this thread back on target.

There is no Whole Foods in the Garden District. Is it the one Uptown or in Mid-City? Probably a dumb question. But would think looting is more likely in Mid-City. Honestly, I can’t say how impressed I am your kid is braving this thing in the heart of Central City right now. At least it doesn’t flood!

1 hour ago, We’reTexas said:

There is no Whole Foods in the Garden District. Is it the one Uptown or in Mid-City? Probably a dumb question. But would think looting is more likely in Mid-City. Honestly, I can’t say how impressed I am your kid is braving this thing in the heart of Central City right now. At least it doesn’t flood!

I am still worried. Today the weather was nice relatively speaking. Most are grateful and the home damage wasn't too bad. Everyone still has food, water, and a recharged cell battery.  We will see how things are in a week when supplies get short and they are running out of places to shit. 

5 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Any reports from Venice area?

Supposed to be down there tuna fishing September 17th. I doubt that’s happening.

Just got a video from family friends that own a commercial fishing operation in Venice. They lost their roof to the lodge, and had two feet of water in the house. 

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Shame he drowned in the floodwaters though and the saltwater concealed any wounds he may have suffered beforehand.  Damn Shame.  In lieu of flowers, campaign donations can be made to some other asshole.  

I've been hearing more and more reports from extended family in Lafourche Parish that the devastation from Fourchon to Larose and maybe even Raceland is almost total.  Like a tornado just cut a wide swatch from the Gulf for about a hundred miles or so.

Fortunately, everyone evacuated and are physically OK.  Unfortunately, about 90% of the homes (including several of my in-laws) are destroyed and/or uninhabitable.

It's going to be months before the bayou parishes are liveable. So I'm prepping for houseguests...

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I've been hearing more and more reports from extended family in Lafourche Parish that the devastation from Fourchon to Larose and maybe even Raceland is almost total.  Like a tornado just cut a wide swatch from the Gulf for about a hundred miles or so.

Fortunately, everyone evacuated and are physically OK.  Unfortunately, about 90% of the homes (including several of my in-laws) are destroyed and/or uninhabitable.

It's going to be months before the bayou parishes are liveable. So I'm prepping for houseguests...

Glad for your fams. Sorry for your next few months. 
Just kidding, glad you’ll be able to help. 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Glad they’re safe. 

They (nor anyone) should rebuild in that area. It’s a hurricane magnet and climate change will make the “land” moot anyway soon enough. 

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Glad they’re safe. 

They (nor anyone) should rebuild in that area. It’s a hurricane magnet and climate change will make the “land” moot anyway soon enough. 

I understand that sentiment but not many of the residents of those low lying parishes actually want to live there; they have to live there because working on an oil rig in the Gulf or one of the huge shipyards like Bollinger or GIS or in Fourchon is all they've ever known.  Real salt of the earth types.  And there needs to be at least small communities and schools and grocery stores to support those families.  

I've tried to tell them that if they can put stuff together or fix stuff with their hands, they'll be able to find work anywhere.  But it's been an uphill battle (at least before this weekend).

Edited by Message Board User
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I understand that sentiment but not many of the residents of those low lying parishes actually want to live there; they have to live there because working on an oil rig in the Gulf or one of the huge shipyards like Bollinger or GIS or in Fourchon is all they've ever known.  Real salt of the earth types.  And there needs to be at least small communities and schools and grocery stores to support those families.  

I've tried to tell them that if they can put stuff together or fix stuff with their hands, they'll be able to find work anywhere.  But it's been an uphill battle (at least before this weekend).

Oh, I know. Mostly poor folk without resources or skills to go elsewhere. Just sad they’ll dump every resource into rebuilding jist ot have it wiped out in 4 or whatever years. There’s no right answer. 

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

May work out ok if they do the cooking while staying at your place.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If a wife wanted to get rid of a husband, "alligator in a hurricane" is a great way to do it.

No doubt, the cops have a lot of other crap to deal with right now, and its not like there is a pristine crime scene to investigate. 

47 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If a wife wanted to get rid of a husband, "alligator in a hurricane" is a great way to do it.

Honey, I left my phone in the car, please go get it before the storm gets really bad.   <<locks door when husband goes outside to get the phone>>

Edited by conVINCEd

So - have a vampire gen from Ivan era that won’t die. I fixed the carb, and it runs like a top. 3500 total, 3k running watts, old Wen Chinese gen. Here is the deal: it runs fine, and it will power any 2 prong item I have. But no power to any 3-prong item - like room ac or fridge.

WTF surly - school me as to what is up with this gen.

The light shows power - but a gen cord with lighted ends shows no power. Cord running to a lamp or fan works. Three prong won’t power

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It'll charge your cell phone.  Do you really need it to charge anything else?

I believe, and correct me if I’m wrong, Gatorubet, that he would like to keep his refrigerators and/or freezers, and maybe a window unit air conditioner going.

Similar happened to me during Ike in 2008. Fired up the generator and it wasn’t creating electricity. We were furked.

Good luck, Gator. 

10 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

So - have a vampire gen from Ivan era that won’t die. I fixed the carb, and it runs like a top. 3500 total, 3k running watts, old Wen Chinese gen. Here is the deal: it runs fine, and it will power any 2 prong item I have. But no power to any 3-prong item - like room ac or fridge.

The light shows power - but a gen cord with lighted ends shows no power. Cord running to a lamp or fan works. Three prong won’t power

giphy.gif

That don't hardly make no damn sense. That third prong is not hot,---powered. Have you tried another extension cord? Those wickerbill  lights lie sometimes. If another cord don't fix it you might have to try the paperclip method.

So…. Port A is sending a trailer of supplies, and money to Houma and anywhere else they can help. It leaves Wednesday. Thank you Zarsky lumber and the other people here that made that happen.

Having gone through this before,  they need clothes. Seriously if you can give just a few T-shirt’s or shorts it will help. And pots and pans and  almost anything you can think of that would help if you lost everything. They also need moral support and beer and cigs. Seriously. The moral support is as important as the other stuff, and the beer at the end of the day helps. Especially if it’s cold beer.

@immamac you ok if I start a thread for donations? Maybe we can do a Gofundme from Surly. I’m going to wait out and see where the needs are, but in a week or 2 there will be people there that really need help. I’ll be driving over in an SUV so can’t take much, but might be able to arrange some things.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, justhookit said:

So…. Port A is sending a trailer of supplies, and money to Houma and anywhere else they can help. It leaves Wednesday. Thank you Zarsky lumber and the other people here that made that happen.

Having gone through this before,  they need clothes. Seriously if you can give just a few T-shirt’s or shorts it will help. And pots and pans and  almost anything you can think of that would help if you lost everything. They also need moral support and beer and cigs. Seriously. The moral support is as important as the other stuff, and the beer at the end of the day helps. Especially if it’s cold beer.

@immamac you ok if I start a thread for donations? Maybe we can do a Gofundme from Surly. I’m going to wait out and see where the needs are, but in a week or 2 there will be people there that really need help. I’ll be driving over in an SUV so can’t take much, but might be able to arrange some things.

Absolutely we will sticky and banner. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

that's really odd.  # of prongs shouldn't make a difference at all.  to rule out the number of prongs issue have you tried plugging in a power strip to the wen and then plugging in a 2 prong item (that you've already tested plugged in to the generator) to the power strip?  if 2 prong item works with the power strip plugged into the generator then the # of prongs isn't an issue.  only thing i can think of is it's not really generating the total wattage you're thinking it is.  i'd try to ascertain the true wattage by plugging in items in a sequence of watts used at an increasing interval.  start small and go big. 

• Like 1

I wish we could take Beertha.

when Shortys finally opened up on the generator and people could actually go in and have a cold beer after working all day clearing debris, half of them cried. The smell, and the flies is something you never want to experience. And that part of Louisiana is way poorer than what we went through here with Harvey.

9 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

I think that has merit.. Tomorrow I will see what it powers, low to high

Ya, Also if you are trying to run the icebox and the ac at the same time, I don't think ya got enough juice to do it. Unless you have done it before. Most of them generators 

that come from the land of almost right, they kind of lie about what they put out in watts. It don't take much of an ac in size to make a 3500 watt gen hump up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of gators 

The St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's office reported that a man in his 70s was attacked by a gator Monday while wading through floodwaters in his home.

"She was inside when he went downstairs. She heard the commotion ... opened the back door and saw he was getting attacked by an alligator," Capt. Lance Vitter said. "She tried her best to fend off the alligator. When it released the gentleman, she pulled him up onto the steps to render aid. When deputies got out there, they noticed a large amount of blood and learned from his spouse that the body was no longer present."