2021 Hurricane & Cyclone Thread

Rip76

1 hour ago, Native Horn said:

So you're saying we will see a whiff of Ida in Texas? 

H, no h, whatever it takes.

This thing is scary, doing the Katrina thing, same path, same possibility of ramping up.

Oh, and here's one more thing... Ida's forecast to hit the Gulf coast in two days... August 29.

Katrina:  Hit NOLA August 29, 2005.

7 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

H, no h, whatever it takes.

This thing is scary, doing the Katrina thing, same path, same possibility of ramping up.

Oh, and here's one more thing... Ida's forecast to hit the Gulf coast in two days... August 29.

Katrina:  Hit NOLA August 29, 2005.

And she was a 3 at landfall, too, which is what the last model I saw predicted Ida would be. I'm getting flashbacks to that NWS Katrina warning bulletin. It still gives me goosebumps when I read it.

Just now, austingirl said:

And she was a 3 at landfall, too, which is what the last model I saw predicted Ida would be. I'm getting flashbacks to that NWS Katrina warning bulletin. It still gives me goosebumps when I read it.

Actually it was a 4 at landfall.  But it had weakened a good bit from just 6-8 hours earlier when it was hitting 175 mph sustained winds.

Just for trivia's sake, Rita (about 2 weeks after Katrina) was the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Gulf, sustained winds reaching 185 mph. That one weakened to a 3 when making landfall at Sabine Pass.

Gulf storms do typically weaken a little right near the shore, unless they're barreling in at a good rate of speed, like Camille in 1969, which hit as a 5.  (2nd most intensive storm to hit U.S. after 1935 Labor Day 'Cane).

21 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I forgot OU was going to New Orleans. That would explain why the storm is being sucked in that direction. I hope forecasters are taking that into account when they plot those paths.

Man whatever happened to Lonestar Hill Prod and Apollo XVIII ahh the good old days speaking of 2005 and what not...

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Man remember a week ago when two models showed this thing going over Cuba and they were considered outlier possibilities?

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

Man remember a week ago when two models showed this thing going over Cuba and they were considered outlier possibilities?

You forgot number 4, sir. 

If Ida goes up NOLA or even a bit east, Austin might not get all that much hotter Sun-Mon.  With Rita of course we hit 109° but Rita went up closer to us (Sabine Pass area).  That 250 miles makes a lot of difference as to how much dry air is being pulled up.  My guess is that it won't get much hotter here.

I know this is "yeah other than that how'd you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" but since we live here...

Ida is going to probably hit 3 or even 4 before weakening at the coast.  Still gonna be a big, messy one.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

If Ida goes up NOLA or even a bit east, Austin might not get all that much hotter Sun-Mon.  With Rita of course we hit 109° but Rita went up closer to us (Sabine Pass area).  That 250 miles makes a lot of difference as to how much dry air is being pulled up.  My guess is that it won't get much hotter here.

I know this is "yeah other than that how'd you like the play, Mrs. Lincoln?" but since we live here...

Ida is going to probably hit 3 or even 4 before weakening at the coast.  Still gonna be a big, messy one.

NOLA getting a 4 on the dirty side? Isn’t this Katrina part 2? 

• Rage+1 1

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

And an added bonus, COVID. Evacuation of hospitals is going to be rough. 

Thanks for mentioning it.  The vast majority of South Louisiana ICU's are at max capacity, with a large number of those folks having been intubated.  I'd like to figure out a way to help those hospital groups.  But everybody around them is filled to capacity as well.  There has to be something we can do besides listen to people who say, "We don't believe in mandatory evacuations, as a personal choice...my family and I have elected to say behind in the path of the storm.  Our bodies...our choice." 

My company runs operations out of New Orleans/Harvey. We’ve got guys that work for us all up and down LA1 down on the bayou. Even their ass cheeks are puckered right now. Some of them are coming to Houston to evacuate. Our vessels (offshore supply vessels) operate out of Fourchon. They’ve anchored up in Cameron, just south of Lake Charles. We own a house in Fourchon. RIP to that house. It was a waste of money when we bought it. Maybe the insurance will say it’s a total loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Katrina II, Electric Boogaloo.  On the anniversary of Katrina.  While hospitals are filled with critically ill patients of a pandemic.

2020 is already telling 2021 "okay, okay, you win!," but 2021 is just piling on the points to run up the score.

2020 doing it's best Dennis Franchione impression.

Franchione-OU.jpg