Piece of shit kills 6 YO boy in road rage incident

Superhero

On 5/23/2021 at 2:04 PM, High Plains Drifter said:

See dear readers, this is called "blaming the victim".

Easy now, I clearly said that she didn't deserve to have been shot at. I did not mean to come off as blaming the victim or anything close to that. I was merely pointing out the discrepancy in how the event was portrayed versus what the actual facts they said happened. Given the crappy state of our journalism, it's entirely possible that they just did a crappy job. Let me reiterate; I no way does even the crappiest of driving warrant that kind of response unless the other person is literally trying to run you off the road and push you off of a cliff or something like that. There is a difference in blaming the victim and criticizing the quality of reporting.

• Hook 'Em 2

Reading many news articles is an exercise in more brain cells than I feel need a workout. 

Who? What? When? Where? How? And a Why (if possible) are being sacrificed in favor of clicks or bc shoddy journalism is rampant now. Or both. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Reading many news articles is an exercise in more brain cells than I feel need a workout. 

Who? What? When? Where? How? And a Why (if possible) are being sacrificed in favor of clicks or bc shoddy journalism is rampant now. Or both. 

Most news outlets have let too many people go. There's nobody left with any experience to train the young kids.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Most news outlets have let too many people go. There's nobody left with any experience to train the young kids.

That is apparent in the writing. I just thought that they knew the basic who what where why how tenets or learned them in the journalism classes they took? Or maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

That is apparent in the writing. I just thought that they knew the basic who what where why how tenets or learned them in the journalism classes they took? Or maybe not. 

They learn them in concept. They don't get much actual experience at interviewing people to actually learn all that info. Mix in the extreme time pressures to get a story on something like this published and you get shoddy journalism. The biggest problem with the media today is that there's not much profit in it. A lot of people think it's unprofitable but that's not really the case; a lot of media outlets are profitable but not profitable enough for the hedge fund ghouls who buy them up, so they cut costs (read: fire all their best journalists) to try to generate more profit.

Just now, wildcat09 said:

They learn them in concept. They don't get much actual experience at interviewing people to actually learn all that info. Mix in the extreme time pressures to get a story on something like this published and you get shoddy journalism. The biggest problem with the media today is that there's not much profit in it. A lot of people think it's unprofitable but that's not really the case; a lot of media outlets are profitable but not profitable enough for the hedge fund ghouls who buy them up, so they cut costs (read: fire all their best journalists) to try to generate more profit.

It sucks. 🥺

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

we used to go to newspapers for sports scores.  we used to watch the late night news for the biggest news stories of the day.  now we go to twitter and social media.  information's been commoditized and the way you get paid (eyeballs) is by having an opinion and catering to a specific group who will keep coming back.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

The death of local newspapers and journalism is sad. They were a tremendous asset for the public good.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Californians are all moving here. Damnit. Saw this exact same bumper sticker on a car the other day in Cedar Park.

7C85E3BD-A836-4771-B9A7-2EC0B8DBF4B7.jpeg

I remember seeing a "Don't Californicate Austin" bumper sticker like 12 years ago. You also have guys like Joe Rogan being a hype man for Austin on the biggest podcast in the world, he and others seem hell bent on making it a mini version of L.A.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Those are outdated concepts, you only need to know what we want you to know, and who to blame, and how to feel, and what to think.

• Rage+1 1

Easy now, I clearly said that she didn't deserve to have been shot at. I did not mean to come off as blaming the victim or anything close to that. I was merely pointing out the discrepancy in how the event was portrayed versus what the actual facts they said happened. Given the crappy state of our journalism, it's entirely possible that they just did a crappy job. Let me reiterate; I no way does even the crappiest of driving warrant that kind of response unless the other person is literally trying to run you off the road and push you off of a cliff or something like that. There is a difference in blaming the victim and criticizing the quality of reporting.

Well considering the trauma she just endured one might lean toward being empathetic and also how how brains do not exactly have picture perfect memories when stressed.

Also consider the point IT DOES NOT FUCKING MATTER. People make mistakes driving. I don’t care if she was licking the glass and making obscene gestures, a person doesn’t get to shoot her. Lastly, car seats are fucking easy to spot in a vehicle.

Reward now collectively up to $164,000. Doesn’t sound like they have jack shit camera-wise. Outside of not revealing the race of the two individuals (if known) in the suspect car they seem not to have anything. This sucks. And no way the other person in that car is going to say anything.

At a Tuesday morning news conference, Wagner reiterated the California Highway Patrol's call for witnesses to come forward with information or dashcam video footage.

"If you were in the area, you may have captured the information that will help the CHP crack this case," he said. "Maybe you've seen the suspect's car fleeing -- not the actual shooting -- that's OK. Maybe you've seen the car in the area, that they're looking for, and we can get a (license) plate or partial plate or a description of the driver."

This is basically all they have? Damnit. 

Recounting the incident to ABC News, Cloonan said she was taking her son to school when a vehicle cut her off while she was in the carpool lane. 

Relatives told KTLA she then made a gesture at the other car, which is believed to be a white Volkswagen station wagon.

Moments later, the suspect’s vehicle — which had two occupants, a female driver and a male passenger — pulled behind the woman’s car and fired at least one shot into the back of it, striking the little boy. He complained that his stomach hurt. 

“As I started to merge away from them, I heard a really loud noise,” Cloonan told ABC News. “And my son said, ‘Ow,’ and I had to pull over. And he got shot.”

Cloonan’s daughter and Aiden’s older sister Alexis told KTLA her mother didn’t immediately recognize the noise as a gunshot “because no one would think that someone just shot a bullet into my car,” she said.