Fake "news segments" as ads for BS -- exposed by John Oliver

Brisketexan

So, the other night, had on KVUE news to catch the weather and sports.  As the newscast wrapped up, there was a bizarre spot that looked a whole lot like a news piece, but we knew it wasn't a news piece....pitching some insane "magnetic sexual wellness blanket."  As it aired, my wife and I started laughing, asking "what the FUCK was that?"  It was such obvious mumbo-jumbo bullshit.

Turns out, it was a prank by John Oliver, to show how local news stations will happily take dollars from anyone to run a "looks like a news piece" selling any number of bullshit products/services.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/john-oliver-last-week-tonight-sponsored-content-sexual-wellness-blanket-1234763343/?fbclid=IwAR3RTKMNJv7kP6BNcR5snG99aKGl6g5OzUYh-f_7kojI8toykT63NgtRhcM

Screen-Shot-2021-05-24-at-5.58.00-PM.jpe

Two major station groups said that they were reviewing their processes for airing sponsored content following a segment that aired on HBO’s Last Week Tonight with John Oliver in which the show paid to get an interview on the air featuring a spokesperson for a fake “sexual wellness blanket.”

The crux of the segment was Oliver’s criticism of local stations that air sponsored programming that look like news segments. Even though they are labeled as being sponsored segments, Oliver said that they still allow people to pay to get on the air with dubious medical devices and claims.

So Oliver and his team hatched a fake device, a “sexual wellness blanket,” and then set up a fake spokesperson to be interviewed by an on-air personality for segments on three stations, KTVX-TV in Utah, KVUE-TV in Austin and KMGH-TV in Denver.

The ad itself was funny as shit.  And seeing the normally respectable Kim Barnes absolutely sell her dignity and credibility for a few bucks was....kinda sad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just a fabulous bit by JO. KVUE definitely took a big hickey on that one, but of ot causes them to review & change their policies for content advertising then it's well worth it.

Kim & Mike Barnes. A case study in the fate that befalls local broadcasting talent when they--gasp--get older.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was most shocked that it only costs between $2-3K to get a segment on these shows where the TV host will act excited and intrigued about your product.

I know.  I have always liked Kim Barnes.  I may pay that to have her produce a video gushing about "Spend an Hour with the Delightful Brisketexan!"

I mean, I've always had to pay for pleasant people to spend time with me, this time I'd get it on video.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was most shocked that it only costs between $2-3K to get a segment on these shows where the TV host will act excited and intrigued about your product.

Uncle Boobs just bought time for his "Miracle Vaginal Moisturizer".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

The biggest radio station in Atlanta got into something similar.  For years, they have sold time on Sundays to 'financial advisors'.  They always say they are paid spots and the people aren't employees, but the shows sound like any other talk show..with people calling in and asking questions.  This dude did it for a couple of years running a peer-to-peer lending program....then hauled ass.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/turn-yourself-its-beyond-time-wife-missing-financial-adviser-wanted-by-fbi-speaks-out/U65WAOILIFDYVNXZ7CNC47BVUQ/

I can see why TV stations will want to quickly and barely display that these segments are paid segments. The message makes them seem less legit, which of course they are. But they also look like they put that disclaimer on the screen at the end of the broadcast when many people are turning away or not looking at the screen. This allows the advertiser to place their segment video on their website with no hint of a disclaimer on the video. They don't even have to edit it out.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So has KVUE said or tweeted anything about this?

see paken's post above.

main takeaway from this thread...there is literally no extraordinarily mediocre looking 40-60 year old woman in the world that brisket is not capable of coveting.  particularly if their job is to read a teleprompter for 15 minutes a day.

you gotta respect that.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, sidis said:

main takeaway from this thread...there is literally no extraordinarily mediocre looking 40-60 year old woman in the world that brisket is not capable of coveting.  particularly if their job is to read a teleprompter for 15 minutes a day.

What utter bullshit.

The teleprompter part is completely irrelevant.

And I have no problem maintaining that Kim Barnes is quite cute, and squarely within my demographic and, having met her, she is smart, pleasant, and charming.

8 minutes ago, sidis said:

see paken's post above.

you gotta respect that.

Id idn't think that was KVUE's statement on this.  I just thought that was an ill-timed coincidence.

On 5/25/2021 at 4:32 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

i had suspected that ads were ridiculously cheap when i started doing the math on "limited edition" sports memorabilia.  i didn't know it was that cheap. 

4 hours ago, sidis said:

see paken's post above.

you gotta respect that.

Brisket has a very interesting "palette" at times, but he's got guts and guts is enough.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, Doc Reeves said:

Good stuff. 

JO does Gods work

He’s definitely been an invaluable piece to mainstream “news” that’s been missing for a very long time. It’s not exactly “Democracy Now! has invaded HBO,” but I’ll take it. 

On 5/25/2021 at 12:44 PM, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

Oliver's a deserving heir to Jon Stewart.  Actually changing the world through his comedy.

It's not really the same gig anymore, but Oliver is a big upgrade in my opinion. Quality over quantity.

Edited by B00M