Virginia Tech LB charged with murder

Don Johnson

This happened a few days and there were some rumors floating around that it was an unusual case.  More details have emerged.  Searched but didn't see anything.

https://247sports.com/Article/Isi-Etute-murder-Virginia-Tech-Hokies-football-bond-set-details-emerge-Tinder-166330517/

The commonwealth also revealed new details about how the murder went down. Bitter reports the commonwealth’s attorney revealed that Etute matched on the dating app Tinder and met with an “Angie” April 10 to engage in oral sex. Etute then went back May 31 for another meeting at Smith’s apartment and discovered Smith was a man. Etute told the police that he then "loses it," and punched Smith five times in the head, then proceeded to kick him after that on the ground.

According to Bitter, the commonwealth's attorney said Etute told police he could hear "bubbling and gurgling" as he left the apartment and wiped blood off of his flip flops. Etute did not call the police to report what happened, and Smith was found dead in the apartment two days later.  Ziolek said Smith had all the bones in his face broken, his teeth missing and multiple cranial fractures.

28 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This happened a few days and there were some rumors floating around that it was an unusual case.  More details have emerged.  Searched but didn't see anything.

https://247sports.com/Article/Isi-Etute-murder-Virginia-Tech-Hokies-football-bond-set-details-emerge-Tinder-166330517/

The commonwealth also revealed new details about how the murder went down. Bitter reports the commonwealth’s attorney revealed that Etute matched on the dating app Tinder and met with an “Angie” April 10 to engage in oral sex. Etute then went back May 31 for another meeting at Smith’s apartment and discovered Smith was a man. Etute told the police that he then "loses it," and punched Smith five times in the head, then proceeded to kick him after that on the ground.

According to Bitter, the commonwealth's attorney said Etute told police he could hear "bubbling and gurgling" as he left the apartment and wiped blood off of his flip flops. Etute did not call the police to report what happened, and Smith was found dead in the apartment two days later.  Ziolek said Smith had all the bones in his face broken, his teeth missing and multiple cranial fractures.

Which of you guys wants to inform him that he is now gay?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

How in the fuck is that manslaughter?

It's not but it's close. I think the DA will argue it was intentional but unplanned because he was angry after get blown by a dude. It also qualifies as reckless regard for human life. The VT football player could have called 911 after the incident and likely saved the dude's life but he didn't.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

It's not but it's close. I think the DA will argue it was intentional but unplanned because he was angry after get blown by a dude. It also qualifies as reckless regard for human life. The VT football player could have called 911 after the incident and likely saved the dude's life but he didn't.

not entirely sure what the makeup of potential jurors from the Blacksburg area are... but i'm sure that the defense will want nothing but conservatives on it.

25 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

because it wasn't pre meditated?  It happened in the heat of a moment when he realized he got catfished?

It doesn’t have to be pre-meditated to be murder. 

If I had to guess, I’d say that he knew the dude was a dude the whole time. Maybe they got in some kind of argument, guy threatens to out the VT player, player then loses it.

56 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

this has to be a manslaughter charge, no?  Will a jury in Blacksburg VA see this as first degree murder?

41 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

because it wasn't pre meditated?  It happened in the heat of a moment when he realized he got catfished?

I don’t know what Virginia law is specifically, but you’re basically describing second degree murder. It doesn’t require pre meditation or even the intent to kill someone. 

• Like 1

I knew a married ex-VT linebacker who ran a self-proclaimed 4.3 before a knee injury. He was crazy and got kicked out of the Alpharetta Y for bringing in a gun after being upset abut a foul in a pick-up basketball game. Dude had some anger issues. Maybe it is a VT-linebacker thing.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t know what Virginia law is specifically, but you’re basically describing second degree murder. It doesn’t require pre meditation or even the intent to kill someone. 

They could also throw in a hate charge if they felt like it.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

yeah i just saw that he was being charged with 2nd degree murder and the victim was an older guy too

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 6.38.26 PM.png

So the VT/Blacksburg subreddit with students and coworkers are talking about how this dude was a known predator getting minors drunk at the bar and drugging them where he worked. Catfishing people with stolen IDs etc. Shit reads like a fucking SVU episode. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

So the VT/Blacksburg subreddit with students and coworkers are talking about how this dude was a known predator getting minors drunk at the bar and drugging them where he worked. Catfishing people with stolen IDs etc. Shit reads like a fucking SVU episode. 

and that he was tight with the police department there..

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I knew a married ex-VT linebacker who ran a self-proclaimed 4.3 before a knee injury. He was crazy and got kicked out of the Alpharetta Y for bringing in a gun after being upset abut a foul in a pick-up basketball game. Dude had some anger issues. Maybe it is a VT-linebacker thing.

I’m actually surprised Kenny Vaccaro never did this. Mother fucker got seriously pissed at some pick up games at the fiji house back in the day

4 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

I’m not seeing a scenario where he legitimately thought that was a woman. 

My first reaction was that can't possibly be the victim. If it is, there's no amount of makeup and wig that's hiding that Adam's apple.

I guess the guy was so preoccupied with scoring that he wasn't looking what team they were on.

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I’m actually surprised Kenny Vaccaro never did this. Mother fucker got seriously pissed at some pick up games at the fiji house back in the day

Gabe Mouneke had anger management issues as well in regards to pickup games.

4 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

My first reaction was that can't possibly be the victim. If it is, there's no amount of makeup and wig that's hiding that Adam's apple.

I guess the guy was so preoccupied with scoring that he wasn't looking what team they were on.

Which guy is the football player and which one was the woman?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

How in the fuck is that manslaughter?

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

NOT up on anything legal, but could this be temporary insanity?

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

I'm no lawyer, but the only way he gets off with even manslaughter would be if he had been drugged. Then claim temporary insanity when he learned the truth.

If I were a juror, I would vote for the death penalty.

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

yeah i just saw that he was being charged with 2nd degree murder and the victim was an older guy too

So the guy on the left was getting blown by the guy on the right but he didn't realize it was a guy?  

Don't know if I buy this story or not.  That guy looks like a guy.

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

NOT up on anything legal, but could this be temporary insanity?

thats-not-how-this-works-gif-7.gif&f=1&n

First, temporary insanity is an antiquated legal concept that has any withering legal standing in a small minority of states. Second, nearly any insanity defense requires that the offender did not know right from wrong because of major mental illness (most often due to psychotic symptoms in which the person has a total break from reality, is hallucinating, delusional, etc). The offender in this example was horny and stupid, but he wasn't psychotic. He ended the guy when he realized the dude had a dick -- that's pretty compelling reality testing. Third, it's West Virginia and there isn't a jury out there that would go down that road. 

• Like 1