Are we going back to natural grass in the near future?

Goo Punch

On 5/9/2018 at 6:34 PM, utee94 said:

Fake grass.  Serious bidness.

I'm all for installing a natural grass field surface that doesn't suck.  Colleges and high schools all over the country have managed this successfully for decades.  So let's just go ahead and do it THAT way, instead of whatever we did in the late 90s.  Seems pretty simple.

Fake grass + liquid smoke + beans =

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

There are only three schools in the conference with grass — TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma. Everyone else has FieldTurf.

I did not know that.

On 7/27/2018 at 4:02 PM, tantric superman said:

The most important advantage of grass for the observer -- the aesthetically pleasing mud and grass stains on the uniforms.  

AAA_1901-99-600x399.jpg

plnontge eh noed

Agreed, it gives the game an element of old school smash-mouth, in a time of high flying track-meets...

On May 7, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Sidney Sherman said:

Yeah the old piece together field in Houston was a complete piece of shit. Natural grass but they brought it in trays and "stitched" it together. People got hurt. A punter even sued over it lol. They play on artificial now.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Reliant-Stadium-field-injured-Texans-punter-4041200.php

I liked artificial better because it's a bit faster and more consistent, but with enough money you can do a real grass field that is pretty sweet. When it really, really makes a difference is practicing during the day, or day games in the heat. The artificial field holds heat and it just radiates off.

You think the new turf holds heat? You would have loved the old astroturf. Especially that crap on the ramp and the roof of the weight room.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/29/2018 at 4:37 PM, Clob94 said:

You think the new turf holds heat? You would have loved the old astroturf. Especially that crap on the ramp and the roof of the weight room.

that "project" was really the beginning of when Texas started to just flush money down the toilet on half assed stupid ideas to try and keep up with everyone else without actually putting in any long term planning and spending adequate money

the fact that building still stands today and has been renovated 4 or 5 times since then including recently just shows how far down that path Texas went and how hard it is t pull back from it

that shit assed practice bubble was just full verification that Texas was on the long term path to shitty facilities (outside of a few major ones like the stajium) for the very long term

5 hours ago, NowThis said:

isn't Northwestern the only FBS school with real grass at least 1" high?

The length of the grass, and the height of the crown were as important as blocking and tackling during the wishbone era. I’m guessing this has been addressed by rule, and/or technology as you never hear anyone bitch about it anymore?

Quick someone do an environmental survey to determine the impact of having oxygen-producing, co2-consuming natural grass requiring mowing, landscaping, fertilizing, and watering vs field turf that just makes the whole stadium hot but doesn't require too much maintenance. I'll wait.

14 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Quick someone do an environmental survey to determine the impact of having oxygen-producing, co2-consuming natural grass requiring mowing, landscaping, fertilizing, and watering vs field turf that just makes the whole stadium hot but doesn't require too much maintenance. I'll wait.

The environmental impact makes no difference to me. Having a shitty torn up field late in the season does. What we have right now works perfectly. 

• Like 3

Whatever they decide, can we get the correct shade of orange?

It’s only been 10 years of the wrong color on our football field. Don’t tell me you’re already tired of it.

Really, how much could paint possibly cost? I remember Dodds saying “this was the closest we could get”, which is obviously bullshit.

On 7/27/2018 at 3:33 PM, Bullneck said:

Plastic grass + ground up tires =

No shit.  When my son was playing football, he and his team mates had to  empty their shoes of the pellets before they went into the locker room post game.  

I recall when they installed the first edition of this new style turf at our high school 10 years ago, for the balance of the season the stadium smelled like tire shop.  Never mind we had a wet fall that season which one would think would help get rid of the smell.  And when you went on to the surface on a typical sunny/hot day anytime of the year, you could smell it.

They replaced it last year  with a newer version which doesn't have as bad of a smell.    It also is supposed to be cooler and it appears from what I saw this past season, it has less black pellets.  

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

It’s only been 10 years of the wrong color on our football field. Don’t tell me you’re already tired of it.

Really, how much could paint possibly cost? I remember Dodd’s saying “this was the closest we could get”, which is obviously bullshit.

He should have asked  Sherwin Williams....  

21 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

No shit.  When my son was playing football, he and his team mates had to  empty their shoes of the pellets before they went into the locker room post game.  

I recall when they installed the first edition of this new style turf at our high school 10 years ago, for the balance of the season the stadium smelled like tire shop.  Never mind we had a wet fall that season which one would think would help get rid of the smell.  And when you went on to the surface on a typical sunny/hot day anytime of the year, you could smell it.

They replaced it last year  with a newer version which doesn't have as bad of a smell.    It also is supposed to be cooler and it appears from what I saw this past season, it has less black pellets.  

If I'm not mistaken, weren't there several studies in the past few years claiming that the pellets were carcinogenic?

28 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Really, how much could paint possibly cost? I remember Dodds saying “this was the closest we could get”, which is obviously bullshit.

That was Dodds-speak for "shut up, peons, you don't know anything"

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

If I'm not mistaken, weren't there several studies in the past few years claiming that the pellets were carcinogenic?

I think heard that too, but hell it seems like everything man made can be declared carcinogenic if you strip down every compound put into the product.   The studies must not have been very conclusive because one would think it would have been a hot topic in football next the CTE.

57 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Not the pellets. Something at the "root" of the artificial blades, a tie or connector or something. But that came out about 10 years ago and the iterations since then have been changed.

On 7/29/2018 at 11:33 AM, dcbc said:

I want whatever that stuff in the Rose Bowl was in the mid 2000s.  We seemed to play well on it.

I was down on the Rosebowl grass a year ago or so. Holy shit. That shit is so perfect you almost have to get down on a knee to make sure its not fake.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I was down on the Rosebowl grass a year ago or so. Holy shit. That shit is so perfect you almost have to get down on a knee to make sure its not fake.

Funny story- last June we got a private tour of the RB through my FIL's (RIP) contacts so that we could have a private memorial of just family on the field.  The real reason was it was my Trojan FIL's wish to have some of his ashes spread on the RB field.  So we had a nice emotional ceremony, then started spreading ashes on the field as discreetly as possible.  Kinda like Andy Dufresne spreading his wall around the prison yard.  Turns out they don't want human remains spread on that field.  But his are there.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Funny story- last June we got a private tour of the RB through my FIL's (RIP) contacts so that we could have a private memorial of just family on the field.  The real reason was it was my Trojan FIL's wish to have some of his ashes spread on the RB field.  So we had a nice emotional ceremony, then started spreading ashes on the field as discreetly as possible.  Kinda like Andy Dufresne spreading his wall around the prison yard.  Turns out they don't want human remains spread on that field.  But his are there.

Well, now you've done it. Expect a SWAT team very soon. Make sure you don't have a dog.

Paint shade talk not going away. It's been mentioned time and again how color appears differently based on the medium. If they said this was the closest they could get, it's probably the turf's fault. 

Tell you what, I’ve got some burnt orange paint in my garage I used awhile back to paint my grill. Let’s go find out what it looks like on that turf.

15 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

How was the wind that day?

giphy.gif

Edit: Sorry for your loss

Edited by Eggo
thoughts n prayers
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eggo said:

Paint shade talk not going away. It's been mentioned time and again how color appears differently based on the medium. If they said this was the closest they could get, it's probably the turf's fault. 

Hmmm ... with that in mind, it doesn't seem like it would take a rocket surgeon to come up with the bright idea of testing several shades on the field before settling on one, the same way we always do when painting our house....

2 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Lotta paint experts up in here acting like UT doesn't give a shit about branding accuracy

Who knows if they give a shit? What's pretty clear is that they keep fucking it up. It doesn't take a paint expert to see that.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2018 at 3:01 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

The 1993 Cotton Bowl renovations cost $3m and the consensus a few years later was that $2m of that was the cost to rip out the rug, dig out the concrete to a depth of 48 inches, crown the field with a fresh concrete pour to a height of 12" running from end to end, install a 3"-hour-rainfall-rate drainage system, put down the plumbing for 24 rotor sprinklers, and fill it in with 30 inches of pure blackland prairie.  The turf is Pro Tour Perennial Ryegrass Blend from Forbes Seed and Grain in Junction City, Oregon, that now stands at a thickness of 8 inches, with 3-inch blades above soil.  If you have never walked on it, it feels more like a sponge than earth.  It is so dense that thousands of pounds of beef in the trenches can barely scuff it during the fair park game.  It consumes HUGE amounts of water.  The annual maintenance cost is $2m, in essence, now, for only 1 game a year that matters.

Back in the day when the Dallas Burn played at the Cotton Bowl ('96-'03, '04, first half of '05), the consensus among the entirety of MLS, including players, coaches, and staff from more than 30 countries, was that the Fair Park pitch was the best in the league and easily top 10 worldwide.

Dear CDC: that will be $9.95.

The 1993 Cotton Bowl renovations cost $3m and the consensus a few years later was that $2m of that was the cost to rip out the rug, dig out the concrete to a depth of 48 inches, crown the field with a fresh concrete pour to a height of 12" running from end to end, install a 3"-hour-rainfall-rate drainage system, put down the plumbing for 24 rotor sprinklers, and fill it in with 30 inches of pure blackland prairie.  The turf is Pro Tour Perennial Ryegrass Blend from Forbes Seed and Grain in Junction City, Oregon, that now stands at a thickness of 8 inches, with 3-inch blades above soil.  If you have never walked on it, it feels more like a sponge than earth.  It is so dense that thousands of pounds of beef in the trenches can barely scuff it during the fair park game.  It consumes HUGE amounts of water.  The annual maintenance cost is $2m, in essence, now, for only 1 game a year that matters.

Back in the day when the Dallas Burn played at the Cotton Bowl ('96-'03, '04, first half of '05), the consensus among the entirety of MLS, including players, coaches, and staff from more than 30 countries, was that the Fair Park pitch was the best in the league and easily top 10 worldwide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

The problem (I think) is it is not painted but the actual turf is created in that color. The blades are actually orange, or supposed to be and that was as close is they could get in the process.

So if that is true find a new process or a new vendor.  

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

They did all that because of the 94 World Cup, which must be played on grass.