2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

5 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

So if Watts is so uber talented why did he start in Ohio State's opening game against Minnesota, see 49 snaps in that game, and then see only 73 snaps in the final 11 games, mostly in blowouts?

Judging from the tOSU boards, he's extremely athletic but the younger guys were better than him. Supposedly he's a better safety

Watts is fine. I just think people need to have realistic expectations about him.  He was a backup safety at OSU who didn't play much in 2 years.  It's possible he might have been lost in a very talented backfield, but it's also possible he's just a career backup. 

• Hook 'Em 4

37 minutes ago, RabidM said:

Watts is fine. I just think people need to have realistic expectations about him.  He was a backup safety at OSU who didn't play much in 2 years.  It's possible he might have been lost in a very talented backfield, but it's also possible he's just a career backup. 

thought he played some Corner there too?

13 hours ago, Tex Long said:

While we're at it, let's apply that to staff and let the coaches and assistants sit out a year, too. 

That oughta level the playing field. 

With NIL, I think it would be interesting to have a nationwide endowment facilitator who collects fees for coaches who leave for a new head coaching job. The coach/new school has to match the first years salary and it gets funneled back to the players on the roster of their former team the next year. 

7 hours ago, RabidM said:

tOSU’s backups are likely better than most of our defensive starters, so…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

So with the 22 class basically signed, what are the big needs in the portal? Idk how many spots we really have but I'll say:

1 instant contributor OL (hard to rely on regular enrolee true freshmen)

2 WRs

2 instant impact Edges (again, don't want to totally rely on True Fr and our depth chart is empty)

1 LB (I'm hopeful Dmo, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Blackwell can take a step forward for now, but we need more young guys bc of only one in this 22 class)

1 Safety

(sounds like Watts at either CB or S)

2 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So with the 22 class basically signed, what are the big needs in the portal? Idk how many spots we really have but I'll say:

1 instant contributor OL (hard to rely on regular enrolee true freshmen)

2 WRs

2 instant impact Edges (again, don't want to totally rely on True Fr and our depth chart is empty)

1 LB (I'm hopeful Dmo, Ford, Gbenda, Richardson, Blackwell can take a step forward for now, but we need more young guys bc of only one in this 22 class)

1 Safety

(sounds like Watts at either CB or S)

I think if they get 7 HS guys, that's it for OL recruiting.

5 minutes ago, Professor Chesney said:

I had drinks last night with an Ole Miss alum that participates in the bag game and that conversation left me thinking that programs still aren’t prepared for the potential chaos of the transfer portal. 

None of the stuff he said will be new or groundbreaking to anyone here: high school players and people around them receive benefits to sign and enroll at a school.  But what struck me as interesting was the front loaded structure of the benefits and the weak incentives to remain at the school.  

There are some benefits that persist throughout the players’ time at a school — employment/housing for relatives, cars where title remains with the booster, bills/planned payments to relatives.  But most of the cash bonuses are paid upon signing or when the recruit enrolls (ignoring payments made during the recruiting process).  Players get paid during the season but that is true for all schools; there aren’t really any incentives unique to a program to keep a player from leaving to another program.  

Maybe other schools are smarter about how they structure under-the-table incentives.  But with the new portal and NIL rules, it seems incredibly risky to make the bag game the future foundation of your recruiting infrastructure.  

So youre buddy's opinion is that the bag game is never going to be minimized and it will always be the large determining factor in things? Well ok?

I mean, I'm pretty sure some folks are now being open about their bags to sign now, and hitting the portal for a second hit in a year or two. To the coaches recruiting them. 

10 hours ago, RabidM said:

He probably has the ability to play safety, but Watts played CB at Ohio State.

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)