2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

closetojumping

WR Mario Williams, Oklahoma (2021 HS class): Originally from Tampa. Currently on an official visit to Texas. He's a clear priority target for the football staff with the baseball staff lending an (outfield) assist. USC is the favorite, however Texas is all in. Baseball matters to him, and he'd rather be closer to Florida.

That’s an interesting note I haven’t seen before.  As a baseball nerd, a rangy outfielder with speed as a defensive replacement and pinch runner on full scholarship would really be a nice to have for current top-ranked Texas baseball. 

USC could absolutely still be a player, but Texas would stomp USC in baseball and that could be an edge we could spin correctly. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Stats aside, Billingsly is not an in-line TE and that's what BoB made him into. He was not used that way in 2020.

Very similarly to how we tried to make Jared Wiley an in-line TE and he couldn't block anyone except I bet Sark would utilize Billingsly correctly if given another opportunity to have him.

I’ll be surprised if Mario ends up here. The most likely outcome is wherever Caleb Williams lands and that’s USC.

the focus should be drew sanders no doubt. He’d be the most important transfer imo. And defensive coaches but that’s a different thread

• Hook 'Em 1

Catching up after a few days. Mathis would be an enormous get. The two Bama guys would be nice too but Mathis has to be at the top of the board. Known quantity at a position of dire need. I know he’s older but if there’s not a big 2022 turnaround, Sark is a dead man walking.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, gmr548 said:

Catching up after a few days. Mathis would be an enormous get. The two Bama guys would be nice too but Mathis has to be at the top of the board. Known quantity at a position of dire need.

to be clear, you watched any Texas games this year...and determined that the team's largest need is defensive end, not linebacker?

and beyond that, the choice is a guy who is a good but not great DE vs a guy who was a dang good LB but stuck behind the next great Bama pass rusher (Dallas Turner)?

Gordon Ramsay Wow GIF by FOX TV

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Big Woodrows said:

FWIW, Hamilton mentioned in this IT thread that Patterson is attending coaches meetings today

It needs to be a play by play review of last seasons defense. 

And GP stops the video after each play and screams WTF was that?  

I think thatd set the right tone. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Catching up after a few days. Mathis would be an enormous get. The two Bama guys would be nice too but Mathis has to be at the top of the board. Known quantity at a position of dire need.

My ranking would probably be:

1. Drew Sanders

2. Mario Williams (long shot)

3. Mathis (lower bc only one year of eligibility left)

4. Billingsley 

5. Trigg

Which is crazy because Billingsley and Trigg would both be awesome gets. Portal be hoppin. Burton from UGA would immediately crack that list too if he enters.

I suspect we end up with Mathis and JB. Sanders to OU, Mario to USC.

to be clear, you watched any Texas games this year...and determined that the team's largest need is defensive end, not linebacker?
and beyond that, the choice is a guy who is a good but not great DE vs a guy who was a dang good LB but stuck behind the next great Bama pass rusher (Dallas Turner)?
200.gif

Jesus. To be clear, you understand that neither of these guys is an off ball LB and would in fact play essentially the same position in this defense, right? You take them both if you can but give me the 2x all big 12 guy for impact next year.
  • Hook 'Em 4

My ranking would probably be:
1. Drew Sanders
2. Mario Williams (long shot)
3. Mathis (lower bc only one year of eligibility left)
4. Billingsley 
5. Trigg
Which is crazy because Billingsley and Trigg would both be awesome gets. Portal be hoppin. Burton from UGA would immediately crack that list too if he enters.
I suspect we end up with Mathis and JB. Sanders to OU, Mario to USC.

I don’t think I’d put Mario Williams above either edge player, but I agree the two TEs go at the bottom. We’ve already got an athletic freak that can’t block in Sanders. If you’re good with rolling with that profile at that position, just put him on the field and get him reps.

Crystal Ballin: New Transfer Portal prediction in for Longhorns

Mike Roach

Spoiler

Mike Roach

Texas has been active in the NCAA Transfer Portal looking for the right pieces to fit the roster.

With a need for pass rushers to improve overall defensive performance, one name to watch closely is Ochaun Mathis. A former Manor defensive end, Mathis made things official earlier today when sources indicated his name appeared in the NCAA Transfer Portal. As we've reported last night and this morning on Horns247, we believe Texas would be a school of great interest to the Austin-area native, especially if former TCU head coach Gary Patterson ends up in Austin as has been rumored.

I've entered a Transfer Portal Crystal Ball prediction for the Longhorns to land Mathis with a confidence score of 6. A source I spoke with feels Texas is positioned well for Mathis, but it won't be without some competition. From what I was told, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia and Oregon are just a few schools that have already reached out to Mathis.

Mathis was second-team All-Big 12 selection in both 2019 and '20, and was a preseason first-team All-Big 12 selection ahead of the 2021 season. The former Manor (Texas) High standout was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2018 and was ranked the No. 44 weakside defensive end in Texas for that cycle, according to the 247Sports Composite Player Rankings. Mathis was the No. 103 overall prospect from Texas in that cycle, regardless of position. He committed to play for TCU in January 2017.

Mathis is listed as a senior but would have two years remaining with the COVID-19 exemption. His best season was in 2020 when Mathis accounted for 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. He would likely come in and compete for immediate playing time during the spring.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t think I’d put Mario Williams above either edge player, but I agree the two TEs go at the bottom. We’ve already got an athletic freak that can’t block in Sanders. If you’re good with rolling with that profile at that position, just put him on the field and get him reps.

Fair. I just think Edge is the biggest position of need on the whole team and there aren't many options available.

I wouldn't word it like you did but yeah we've got a lot of young talent at TE. Sanders has the size to be a plus blocker, he just needs to learn. He's never played TE before. JB would still be an awesome rental while the youngsters continue to develop and start getting more playing time.

edit: misread and thought you said you'd put Mario #1. Definitely fair to put Mathis ahead of him, I just like that Mario would be here at least 2 more years while Mathis is at most 1 (I think). Sanders likely 2 although could leave after 1.

Edited by Tex-19

4 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Mike Roach

Reveal hidden contents

Mike Roach

Texas has been active in the NCAA Transfer Portal looking for the right pieces to fit the roster.

With a need for pass rushers to improve overall defensive performance, one name to watch closely is Ochaun Mathis. A former Manor defensive end, Mathis made things official earlier today when sources indicated his name appeared in the NCAA Transfer Portal. As we've reported last night and this morning on Horns247, we believe Texas would be a school of great interest to the Austin-area native, especially if former TCU head coach Gary Patterson ends up in Austin as has been rumored.

I've entered a Transfer Portal Crystal Ball prediction for the Longhorns to land Mathis with a confidence score of 6. A source I spoke with feels Texas is positioned well for Mathis, but it won't be without some competition. From what I was told, Ole Miss, Alabama, Georgia and Oregon are just a few schools that have already reached out to Mathis.

Mathis was second-team All-Big 12 selection in both 2019 and '20, and was a preseason first-team All-Big 12 selection ahead of the 2021 season. The former Manor (Texas) High standout was a three-star prospect in the Class of 2018 and was ranked the No. 44 weakside defensive end in Texas for that cycle, according to the 247Sports Composite Player Rankings. Mathis was the No. 103 overall prospect from Texas in that cycle, regardless of position. He committed to play for TCU in January 2017.

Mathis is listed as a senior but would have two years remaining with the COVID-19 exemption. His best season was in 2020 when Mathis accounted for 46 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 9 sacks. He would likely come in and compete for immediate playing time during the spring.

4 CBs to Texas now including Harris and 2 national guys

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sanders doesn't seem like a fit in Odom's 3-2-6 defense unless he plans on being an off-ball LB.

I could see him being a rush end in certain situations. But Arkansas graduated two 100+ tacklers so there are plenty of tackles available either way next to Bumper Pool.

15 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Hide contents

Pretty big factor if true. That'd be amazing

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

and you were most likely no where near the quality of athlete that Williams is.

You shouldn't be recruiting athletes to play baseball. Does it help, yes if you have been playing. It's way more about hand-eye coordination, especially in hitting. Nice to have athletes in the outfield, especially center. You need hitters, those guys aren't always great athletes.

18 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Jesus. To be clear, you understand that neither of these guys is an off ball LB and would in fact play essentially the same position in this defense, right? You take them both if you can but give me the 2x all big 12 guy for impact next year.

i will happily prioritize the high ceiling guy who has 3 to play 3 over Mathis.

not that Mathis is trash, but let's not act like is some fucking rockstar - saw his sacks half from year over year (9 to 4) and 2 of those 4 came in 1 game vs OU. he had a bad back half of the season vs the front half. even last year he had 33% of his 9 sacks in 1 game vs TTU - 2 against La Tech and 2 against Kansas.

image.png.2df300e2385bf7b3b4dbe90baec677e3.png

so, yes. i will happily take Sanders and his upside over Mathis if those are my two options.

4 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

You shouldn't be recruiting athletes to play baseball. Does it help, yes if you have been playing. It's way more about hand-eye coordination, especially in hitting. Nice to have athletes in the outfield, especially center. You need hitters, those guys aren't always great athletes.

Lulz.

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Boyz N The Hood - Shut Up Bitch GIF | Gfycat

The dude wants to play baseball, fine IDGAF, but with those HS stats, he most likely will never see the field at UT athlete or not. Pinch runner or some shit maybe unless he is a good defensive players. If you don't hit 300 in HS, you can't hit worth a fuck and shouldn't be given a scholarship because you are a good athlete. That is a project at best.

Edited by Longhornlove

5 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

The dude wants to play baseball, fine IDGAF, but with those HS stats, he most likely will never see the field at UT athlete or not. Pinch runner or some shit maybe unless he is a good defensive players. If you don't hit 300 ind HS, you can't hit worth a fuck and shouldn't be given a scholarship because you are a good athlete. That is a project at best.

Who actually gives a shit? Just let him play baseball so we land him as a football recruit. Jesus fucking christ your blabbering about the intricacies of what it takes to be a got damn baseball player is retarded for this scenario. Especially considering he won't be taking away a scholarship from another baseball player you dumb fucking bitch.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Longhornlove said:

The dude wants to play baseball, fine IDGAF, but with those HS stats, he most likely will never see the field at UT athlete or not. Pinch runner or some shit maybe unless he is a good defensive players. If you don't hit 300 ind HS, you can't hit worth a fuck and shouldn't be given a scholarship because you are a good athlete. That is a project at best.

I guess it's a good thing he's definitely not going to be on a baseball scholarship then...

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Let me go ahead and get my hopes up. Does Sanders project as an off the ball linebacker or an edge player in our defense? We've had so many defensive coordinators I can't keep up with all the stupid Mike/Sam/Will/EDGE/Fuckface nomenclature.  

The way Gerry is thinking seems to say both, or at least that is going to be the pitch to him.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who actually gives a shit? Just let him play baseball so we land him as a football recruit. Jesus fucking christ you're blabbering about the intricacies of what it takes to be a got damn baseball player is retarded for this scenario. Especially considering he won't be taking away a scholarship from another baseball player you dumb fucking bitch.

Go fuck yourself prick, I just posted IDAF. You are such an asshole on this board I don't know how anyone tolerates you. You are nothing more than a keyboard internet bully.

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to 2022 Transfer Thread - It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)