What the fuck is wrong with you, Austin?

crash_davis

Plus, I think it's now 30-40% of City of Austin school-aged students attend public schools that are NOT in AISD.  Which skews shit even beyond those metrics, never mind private enrollments.  The economic status drivers are the ones to note. 

And another weird anecdote, the ones that attend public schools not called AISD, but still live in Austin, their public school experience ranges insanely.  From the Del Valle to the Eanes, and everything in between.  Our sleepy college/state government town is a curious bisection of the state of America.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Steel Shank said:

When I go to 6th street, I do the ass kicking and pipe laying.     /surly badass

I can at least rest assured that you weren't one of those late 80s-early 90s posers who parked his Kawasaki Ninja in the motorcycle parking row, and then leaned against it in a cheesy pose hoping to impress the girls.....which I never once saw even get a nibble.  Laughed at em all every time we walked by them.

5 hours ago, ABSR said:

I would say the opposite is true based on AISD statistics. 

https://www.austinisd.org/about-us

Ethnicity/ Race
  • Hispanic: 55.0%
  • White: 30.1%
  • Black: 6.6%
  • Asian: 4.5%
  • Other 3.8%
Inclusive Populations
  • Economically Disadvantaged: 51.9%
  • Emergent Bilingual: 28.2%
  • Special Education: 13.4%

Austin ISD numbers peaked around 2012 and have been drifting lower since then, from a peak of about 86,000 to today's enrollment around 73,000.  It is projected to be about 67,000 in 2032.  The kids that remain are likely to be weathier and more likely to be white or Asian.

The district has about 100,000 seats.  They were planning (or hoping) for growth and it went the other way.

Edited by Texas Jeff
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:18 PM, Brisketexan said:

I can at least rest assured that you weren't one of those late 80s-early 90s posers who parked his Kawasaki Ninja in the motorcycle parking row, and then leaned against it in a cheesy pose hoping to impress the girls.....which I never once saw even get a nibble.  Laughed at em all every time we walked by them.

On 12/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Steel Shank said:

wearing acid washed jeans?

On 12/19/2023 at 4:21 PM, YGIFS said:

You see these Z Cavaricci's?  You think some punkass at 6th & Trinity wants to take a roundhouse from these badboys?  Forget about it! 

image.thumb.png.40c9b5e4d4e8eeab36508c8e7abff4fb.png

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:29 PM, Texas Jeff said:

Austin ISD numbers peaked around 2012 and have been drifting lower since then, from a peak of about 86,000 to today's enrollment around 73,000.  It is projected to be about 67,000 in 2032.  The kids that remain are likely to be weathier and more likely to be white or Asian.

The district has about 100,000 seats.  They were planning (or hoping) for growth and it went the other way.

We moved into our new Crestview in 2016. We used to live in Hyde Park and saw the younger population decline at Lee Elementary.

The few following years after 2016, the Halloween's had kids but not too many. Last year I told my wife I was surprised how many toddlers in baby strollers there were. Holy fuck, this Halloween was nuts. Small kids, babies, toddlers everywhere. Young parents everywhere. Streets were absolutely packed with younger families.

I know it's anecdotal but it seems that all those young people who moved here 2010s are now married, fucking, and having babies. I would bet this is the same for other areas around Austin.

We moved into our new Crestview in 2016. We used to live in Hyde Park and saw the younger population decline at Lee Elementary.
The few following years after 2016, the Halloween's had kids but not too many. Last year I told my wife I was surprised how many toddlers in baby strollers there were. Holy fuck, this Halloween was nuts. Small kids, babies, toddlers everywhere. Young parents everywhere. Streets were absolutely packed with younger families.
I know it's anecdotal but it seems that all those young people who moved here 2010s are now married, fucking, and having babies. I would bet this is the same for other areas around Austin.

It’s the COVID baby boom.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I haven’t been to dirty 6th at night in 15+ years. I almost want to just to experience it based on this thread and see what it has devolved to.

One does not simply walk into 6th street after dark. Its black gates are guarded by more than just cops on horseback. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Elon is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ass and dust, the very air you breathe is a cannibis fume. Not with ten thousand bros could you do this. It is folly.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, crash_davis said:

I know it's hard to imagine that neighborhoods go through a lifecycle where the residents go from:  DINKs > DIWKs > Empty Nesters > Dead > new DINKS...and so on.  It happens in all neighborhoods.  School districts need to not freak the fuck out when enrollment at specific schools decline, it will come back in 15-20 years.  Brentwood Elementary is a good example.  In the 2000s, it was on the chopping block for low enrollment. It was so overcapacity by 2015, that it had to be prioritized for reconstruction at twice its old capacity.  

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Bird electric scooter company, valued at 2.5 billion in 2019, files for bankruptcy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bird-electric-scooter-company-files-for-bankruptcy-after-2021-spac-96ca4a10

Guess that leaves Lime in Austin.

I'm shocked this SPAC money grab with a shitty business model failed.  Shocked I tell you.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t have really scary problems like Hutto with native bunnies going on rampant crime sprees and committing vandalism. We should count ourselves lucky and repent. I guess if you live in Hutto and your Christmas lights won’t come on it’s bunnies. 

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/hutto-police-warn-of-native-bunnies-going-on-rampant-crime-sprees-committing-vandalism-cottontail-rabbit-decorations-wildlife#

IMG_8567.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TV anchor, "As a final fuck you to Austin, one of Bird's earliest and largest adopters.  The company is leaving all of its inventory scattered about the sidewalks and parking lots of the CBD."

(holds ear for a moment) "I'm getting word from my producer that this was their original business model anyways.  Well, this all tracks.  No fucking wonder.  Back to you with sports, Bob."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

TV anchor, "As a final fuck you to Austin, one of Bird's earliest and largest adopters.  The company is leaving all of its inventory scattered about the sidewalks and parking lots of the CBD."

(holds ear for a moment) "I'm getting word from my producer that this was their original business model anyways.  Well, this all tracks.  No fucking wonder.  Back to you with sports, Bob."

Coming soon... a new man-made reef for coral to grow in the verdant waterways of Austin 

• Haha 2

“The Texas Department of Public Safety’s Violent Crime Task Force will be ending operations in Austin Dec. 23, a source tells KXAN.
It’s unknown why the task force is ending effective Saturday, though believed to be funded through April 2024.
The Austin Violent Crime Task Force began in March as a way to help the Austin Police Department during staffing shortages. DPS said its primary goal was to curb both violent crime and traffic deaths.“
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/texas-dps-violent-crime-task-force-in-austin-ending/amp/
—————————
Look people I am not the Rainey Street Ripper. It’s impossible. But if I were I would be thinking…  
giphy.gif.f423aa0092d97061c794b2f961c58a01.gif

This just means less stop and frisks for people of color in Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, YGIFS said:

TV anchor, "As a final fuck you to Austin, one of Bird's earliest and largest adopters.  The company is leaving all of its inventory scattered about the sidewalks and parking lots of the CBD In a giant pile at the top of the hill at MLK and Lamar."

FIF Game Day. 

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:57 PM, crash_davis said:

Millennials can finally afford to have kids.

It’s been a while but can we talk about the gypsie -I think this is okay to say?- situation in Austin?

For years, it was primarily just the family next to Whole Foods at Domain.  We all know them.  But within the past few months there are families anlmost everywhere.  Westlake, up and down Lamar, Barton Springs, Arboretum, NW Hills.  It’s like a never ending turf war.

Look, if you’re going to be homeless and ask for money, God bless you.  But, when you have your infant and school aged kids (who obviously are being kept out of school by mommy and daddy) do it on your behalf every.single.day while you sit nearby and play on your iPhone then we have problems.  

• Hook 'Em 3

• 2 weeks later...

Convicted felon arrested twice for carrying deadly weapon, let out on personal recognizance, murders girlfriend.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/apd-arrests-man-accused-of-fatally-shooting-girlfriend-in-1st-homicide-investigation-of-2024/

jfc

It is important to note that Rodriguez was arrested on December 1, 2023, for the crime of carrying a weapon unlawfully for the second time with a previous felony conviction in Travis County. He was permitted to post a personal recognizance bond and was released on December 15,” APD said.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Rage+1 2

29 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Convicted felon arrested twice for carrying deadly weapon, let out on personal recognizance, murders girlfriend.

https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/apd-arrests-man-accused-of-fatally-shooting-girlfriend-in-1st-homicide-investigation-of-2024/

jfc

Crazy to me how they treat illegal gun charges like they are nothing. 

18 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

So cleaning up the facade of the buildings is going to keep the dirty trash from going to 6th and ruining 6th? That's a bold strategy.

You can clean up 6th by blaring classical music. Dipshit wannabe gangstas, underage shitheads looking for trouble, and homeless are allergic to classical music.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

So cleaning up the facade of the buildings is going to keep the dirty trash from going to 6th and ruining 6th? That's a bold strategy.

You can clean up 6th by blaring classical music. Dipshit wannabe gangstas, underage shitheads looking for trouble, and homeless are allergic to classical music.

To be fair, it's a lot of work patching up all the bullet holes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/2/2024 at 10:30 PM, tomahawk dunk said:

not that interesting but you could kill an hour watching it

I didn't make it too far, although I enjoyed seeing the footage.  The humor of a douchebag from out of state shining a spotlight on how other douchebags from out of state have ruined our city wasn't lost on me, but it was ultimately too annoying to follow through till the end.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

looks like they're proposing wider sidewalks, fewer bars, and updated facades.  i'm sure that'll stop the criminal tourism.

Maybe not exactly the same, but I remember in the 90's and 00's Lower Greenville in Dallas was ghetto and trashy and violent where the riff raff would go for cheap drinks and drama and hooking up, but then they revamped it with the wider walkways and nicer places and shut down the $1 pitcher beer places and it's now pretty safe and yuppified and the ghetto contingency has moved on to deep ellum and uptown.

Maybe that's what they are going for with 6th street.

The question would be where will you be funneling the demographic of 6th street today when the new 6th street isn't their flavor anymore? Which goes back to the point some have made that they like 6th street being what it is because it's essentially a sticky rat trap with peanut butter bait in that you keep all the out of towners and troublemakers in one place (6th st) and everyone else can avoid it.

Ended 2023 with 73 homicides compared to 71 in 2022. Most cities saw a double-digit drop.

I will say, this includes random guy driving up from San Antonio to kill four Austinites and 3-4 self-defense shootings that are labeled homicide, but it's not the traditional sense. 

4 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Maybe not exactly the same, but I remember in the 90's and 00's Lower Greenville in Dallas was ghetto and trashy and violent where the riff raff would go for cheap drinks and drama and hooking up, but then they revamped it with the wider walkways and nicer places and shut down the $1 pitcher beer places and it's now pretty safe and yuppified and the ghetto contingency has moved on to deep ellum and uptown.

The question would be where will you be funneling the demographic of 6th street today when the new 6th street isn't their flavor anymore? Which goes back to the point some have made that they like 6th street being what it is because it's essentially a sticky rat trap with peanut butter bait in that you keep all the out of towners and troublemakers in one place (6th st) and everyone else can avoid it.

i remember lower greenville both before and after.  liked it well enough before but i admit we liked it a lot more in the early to mid 2000s.  i don't know if this was a cause or effect but around the same time there was the slow creep of gentrification pushing in from the border areas like uptown and lakewood.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

South Congress & The Domain….prepare your buttholes.