Left Behind: A Quick Dose Of Post Big 12 Reality

LTtxfan

40 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

https://theathletic.com/4954479/2023/10/11/colorado-deion-sanders-kickoffs/

🤔 pretty sure ESPN/FOX is going to continue to assign them late kicks in their new conference

Yeah I mean Big 12 After Dark is going to be the new Pac 12 After Dark. We all just better get used to a handful of late kickoffs every year.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I mean Big 12 After Dark is going to be the new Pac 12 After Dark. We all just better get used to a handful of late kickoffs every year.

I'm pretty pumped, personally.  I'm out in the tractor until 10 or 11PM most Saturdays in October and November, and that helps keep a guy going.

• Hook 'Em 6

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Opposing fans will fill that stadium often when they’re closer than Hillbilly, WV.

Hahahaha. Spare us the wishcasting. Jesus. 

When UH is actually good, that stadium is half full. When they’re bad, it’s an empty shell, as witnessed above. 

TCU already played there this year. The crowd that filled one third of the stadium was electric! You can look this shit up. There are photos. 

So who will fill that stadium up besides Texas this one season? 

Baylor? Right. 

Kansas? Absurd. 

Tech? Never. 

Iowa State? GTFO. 

CU? Do they even have fans that aren’t Deion acolytes? 

Kansas State will probably get it half full on their own. Same for Utah and BYU the first time, probably. 

Okie State isn’t some traveling power. Cincy has almost no native base and won’t travel for shit. 

The Arizona schools? Right. Same for UCF. 

You guys can write all the fan fiction you like about future tv viewership and contracts, but the attendance numbers should be grounded in some form of reality.

Left Behinders have a bunch of tiny stadiums and a big chunk of them are almost never full unless the team is good or someone like Texas is visiting. UH above all others is the most fair weather of fanbases. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pardon if this has been discussed - why in the fuck is Bedlam being played on November 4th?

They've moved that game around off-and-on over the years. It's typically been the last game of the season for us, but not always.

We actually also played on Nov. 4 back in 2017... it was also on Nov. 10 in 2018, and was our second-to-last game last year and was like our 3rd-to-last game in 2020.

So yeah - mostly the last game of the season, but not always.

4 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

They've moved that game around off-and-on over the years. It's typically been the last game of the season for us, but not always.

We actually also played on Nov. 4 back in 2017... it was also on Nov. 10 in 2018, and was our second-to-last game last year and was like our 3rd-to-last game in 2020.

So yeah - mostly the last game of the season, but not always.

Guess I hadn't realized that. They've moved the Texas/Tech game around a bunch as well ever since we quit playing aggy. 

That still seems really early. Sounds like it's only been that early one other time. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Guess I hadn't realized that. They've moved the Texas/Tech game around a bunch as well ever since we quit playing aggy. 

That still seems really early. Sounds like it's only been that early one other time. 

There have been earlier ones, I just didn't go back that far. We actually played them in October once or twice back in the Les Miles days.

There were some others that were off-and-on early like that even going back to the Big 8 days.

I'd say like 90% of the time it's been the last game of the year, but then it's bounced around in various times in November (mostly) for the other 10% of the time with a few other outliers in late October.

• Hook 'Em 1

They moved it earlier a few years after we spoilered them to end the season in 2001 and 2002, I always assumed at their request. The more recent ones were after they reinstated the CCG because both teams had been good for some years and they were hoping to avoid a Bedlam rematch in back-to-back weeks. We made damn sure that never happened though, lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

It's not about travel it’s about how many Big XII alum live and work in Houston. But whatever, should probably just go DIII.

Like I said, you’re simply wishcasting. Big 12 alumni bases in Houston showing up to fill the stadium will happen exactly zero times without it being Texas doing it. 

38 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

There have been earlier ones, I just didn't go back that far. We actually played them in October once or twice back in the Les Miles days.

There were some others that were off-and-on early like that even going back to the Big 8 days.

I'd say like 90% of the time it's been the last game of the year, but then it's bounced around in various times in November (mostly) for the other 10% of the time with a few other outliers in late October.

Wasn't it prior to the end of the season in the last 3 or 4 years?  Like maybe the COVID year?

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Feature of BOMC and Texas owns XII. Texas gets to play at home every T-giving weekend. TCU & Tech swap, one year Tech early there and TCU in Austin for Turkey Day; next year TCU early there and Tech in Austin for Turkey Day. All gone once SECSECSEC scheduling starts.

10 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Feature of BOMC and Texas owns XII. Texas gets to play at home every T-giving weekend. TCU & Tech swap, one year Tech early there and TCU in Austin for Turkey Day; next year TCU early there and Tech in Austin for Turkey Day. All gone once SECSECSEC scheduling starts.

Won't that be the traditional A&M game slot? 

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Prolly, but the point is home and home versus always Austin....

It was always in Austin because our fans were used to going to that game but honestly as a season ticket holder it was a pain in the ass. But let’s not act like the Big 12 was doing Texas a favor here, no other school wanted Texas coming to town to play them in their half empty stadium on that weekend when all the students were gone. They all wanted their Texas home game on a weekend where they would have a FULL stadium otherwise they were letting lot of money walk out the door.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

Opposing fans will fill that stadium often when they’re closer than Hillbilly, WV.

Yep.  It's just like TCU and their cute little fanbase that gets crowded out when the well travelling teams come to Fort Worth.

It's fucking ridiculous.

11 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

It was always in Austin because our fans were used to going to that game but honestly as a season ticket holder it was a pain in the ass. But let’s not act like the Big 12 was doing Texas a favor here, no other school wanted Texas coming to town to play them in their half empty stadium on that weekend when all the students were gone. They all wanted their Texas home game on a weekend where they would have a FULL stadium otherwise they were letting lot of money walk out the door.

Past tense a little premature. Tech here this year. Last time for a while. Enjoy it or have a pain in the ass.

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

It was for a while, but I think the last few years it has been Baylor, Kansas State, and Iowa State on T+1.

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Like I said, you’re simply wishcasting. Big 12 alumni bases in Houston showing up to fill the stadium will happen exactly zero times without it being Texas doing it. 

UH averaged close to a sellout in 2016.  They then pissed that momentum away almost immediately.  If their next coach is someone who gets the fanbase excited, maybe they start showing up again.  Their history suggests they land on good coaches pretty frequently.  They'll just have to hang onto that guy for longer this time around.  

Most of the programs that have seen big and sustained attendance growth got there because they landed a really good coach who hung around for a long time.  UH hasn't done that yet.  The Big 12 invite at least gives them a chance.  Kelvin Sampson has had their arena full in basketball for a few years.  

1 hour ago, camel at sea said:

UH averaged close to a sellout in 2016.  They then pissed that momentum away almost immediately.  If their next coach is someone who gets the fanbase excited, maybe they start showing up again.  Their history suggests they land on good coaches pretty frequently.  They'll just have to hang onto that guy for longer this time around.  

Most of the programs that have seen big and sustained attendance growth got there because they landed a really good coach who hung around for a long time.  UH hasn't done that yet.  The Big 12 invite at least gives them a chance.  Kelvin Sampson has had their arena full in basketball for a few years.  

I’ve grown up around UH sports. I know how it works. And Lewis had the fans in the stands too when he was working with Phi Slamma Jamma. They’re never going to have a sustained fanbase. Good teams will get asses in the seats, just the same as everywhere. Then it all goes away when they’re mediocre or bad. 

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2023 at 6:22 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I appreciate it, but farmers don't need to be thanked like we're veterans or fire fighters.  We're doing it to make money, and the government treats us like sacred cows.  I'm pretty sure the state of Iowa has an ag exemption for murder.

Which one of these is you?

19 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Over/under on Coog High's next B12 home sellout after next week???

They’d have to be a top 10 team playing another ranked team, and the Astros would have to be out of town. Also need good weather. A lot needs to break just right. I don’t see it happening again this decade. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:46 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

Wasn't it prior to the end of the season in the last 3 or 4 years?  Like maybe the COVID year?

Yeah I listed them out up thread a bit. In 2020 it was our 3rd to last game; but then it was the last game again in 2021 (when we beat them in the last Caleb Williams/Lincoln Riley game) and then last year it was back to the 2nd to last game again.