New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)

mdmost

1 hour ago, Wiler77 said:

I see it being something like he following:

TX, OU, Arky, Mizzou

Aggy, LSU, Ole Miss, Miss St

Bama, Auburn, Tenn, Vandy

UGA, Florida, USC, Kentucky

There are too many rivalries to get everyone in the same division.  But I think the following are priorities:  TX/OU, Miss schools, Bama/Auburn, Florida/Georgia

Once you start with those "truths", you back into the rest of it through geography as well as historical relevance in football.

Swapping Aggy for Mizzou does make a "360 degrees of hate" division, but then creates a dogshit division of Mizzou, Miss schools, and LSU.  I don't see that happening.

You're out of your mind if you think they're not putting UT and aggy in the same pod.

Texas, ou, aggy, Arky.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, ABSR said:

I don't disagree.  However, the SEC "greatness" was in fair part established and maintained by 1.) Saying how great/tough their teams are, 2.) Playing LESS conference games and more cream puffs to guarantee more wins by all teams (especially with the late in the season non-conference week).  

I don't think they will move away from this model and risk, you know, playing each other and creating more conference losses each year.

that and convincing people that a real playoff isn't possible and we should instead, invite teams. Oh, and the sec conference is so great that two of their teams should be invited to the post season. 

mind as well throw in the fact that 70% of the bowl games are in their backyards, making it easy for their fans to get there, while opponents and their fans often have to travel hundreds of miles further

Edited by redswingline

Just now, redswingline said:

that and convincing people their conference is so great that two of their teams should be invited to the post season.  mind as well throw in the fact that 70% of the bowl games are in their backyards, making it easy for their fans to get there, while opponents and their fans often have to travel hundreds of miles further

image.thumb.png.acef9ef8de68c41a4841c5ace0201488.png

Well and for winning like 14 of the national titles since 2000, 

13 minutes ago, JGHorn said:

How do you determine conference championship game participants in a pod system? I think it's gotta be east and west. Play 7 divisional conference games and rotate 2 other teams from the other division. 

The biggest problem with that is you're limiting how often every team plays each other. Sure you play the teams in your division every year, but you go 4 years between teams from other divisions. Pods or 3-6-6 cuts that down to every other year which helps maintain the allure of some of the secondary rivalries that are going to be forfeited & keeps the big brands playing each other more often. Also, I believe the SEC has come out and said they're not doing divisions so the discussion is a moo point.

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Well and for winning like 14 of the national titles since 2000, 

Definitely. I'm sure that was made possible by having some great teams. Plus having your commissioner be the one who created the BCS. Throw in the fact they consistently have been given 50% of the field in the cfp, it's not like the odds were heavily stacked against them.

Edited by redswingline

10 minutes ago, redswingline said:

Definitely. I'm sure that was made possible by having some great teams. Plus having your commissioner be the one who created the BCS. Throw in the fact they consistently have been given 50% of the field in the cfp, it's not like the odds were heavily stacked against them.

So if they aren't as great as people say then how do they do it consistently? You'd think they'd at least lose more often. But what do I know I'm just a SEC(now) and Texas fan 

1 hour ago, Sandbagging Steve said:

That's just fodder. The tweet is all about ATM's new rival: the mighty Appalachian State Mountaineers. Maybe Aggie can join the Sun Belt and make it an in-conference game?

It's obvious a troll job

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

UF-LSU.  Swamp Bowl has been played 69 times and it is tied 33-33-3

Plus we had the infamous shoe throw in 2020

yep that could go away

Playing Georgia and LSU every year has been tough on us Gators during these recent down years :( 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, hook me said:

The biggest problem with that is you're limiting how often every team plays each other. Sure you play the teams in your division every year, but you go 4 years between teams from other divisions. Pods or 3-6-6 cuts that down to every other year which helps maintain the allure of some of the secondary rivalries that are going to be forfeited & keeps the big brands playing each other more often. Also, I believe the SEC has come out and said they're not doing divisions so the discussion is a moo point.

Texas A&M played their first SEC game in 2012.  They played Georgia in a conference game for the first (and only time) in 2019.  Not sure this is an issue keeping the SEC up at night.

Tennessee has played Alabama, Vanderbilt, and Kentucky over 100 times. They have only played Florida a little over 50 times.
Likely that rivalry will not continue.
Florida will play Georgia and South Carolina and some other school (LSU or OU because the SEC wants more top rated games) annually and then trade playing Tennessee annually to playing Tenn and Auburn (their other lost rival) every other year.
As an older Gator, I’m still pissed that they took Auburn off our regular schedule. I give absolutely no shits about South Carolina, and would not care if we never played  them or pig or mizzou again till the end of time.  
The last guess I read was that Florida plays Oklahoma instead of Tennessee as the third permanent rival.   In the last 10 years the one opponent where, regardless of ranking, we usually play close till the last play is LSU.    I’d rather play LSU every year then Oklahoma.  Hell, I’d much rather play Texas than Oklahoma every year.
No matter what they decide on, it will suck for everybody and a century’s worth of rivalries will be fucked.  That said, I’m sure some new rivalries will develop that will turn heated and entertaining.

yep that could go away
Playing Georgia and LSU every year has been tough on us Gators during these recent down years  
Which makes beating those assholes all the more satisfying when we get back to where we need to be. If that asshole Mullen would’ve fired our DC we might’ve won the SEC a few years back.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Will we be able to watch Horn’s baseball, softball, home basketball, etc…sports that we have been watching on LHN, on the SEC network or ESPN+, after we join the SEC, or will there be another way to watch the Horns?  Siap.

Pretty sure you will not see all of our home baseball games and even some our home basketball games against lesser opponents once LHN is gone.

Too bad.

1 hour ago, Gatorubet said:

As an older Gator, I’m still pissed that they took Auburn off our regular schedule. I give absolutely no shits about South Carolina, and would not care if we never played  them or pig or mizzou again till the end of time.  
The last guess I read was that Florida plays Oklahoma instead of Tennessee as the third permanent rival.   In the last 10 years the one opponent where, regardless of ranking, we usually play close till the last play is LSU.    I’d rather play LSU every year then Oklahoma.  Hell, I’d much rather play Texas than Oklahoma every year.
No matter what they decide on, it will suck for everybody and a century’s worth of rivalries will be fucked.  That said, I’m sure some new rivalries will develop that will turn heated and entertaining.

I think "rivalries" is an overused word. There are very few true rivalries worth protecting. 

Under the 3+6 format (very similar to a pod system), you will play everyone twice every four years. Unless it is your main rival, that is plenty good enough. It's a better system than the one used in the 12- team and 14-team formats. It's also better than playing everyone every single year. A system like that gets stale after five or ten years. This is going to work at very well. With that said, it won't last forever because there will be more additions eventually.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Will we be able to watch Horn’s baseball, softball, home basketball, etc…sports that we have been watching on LHN, on the SEC network or ESPN+, after we join the SEC, or will there be another way to watch the Horns?  Siap.

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Pretty sure you will not see all of our home baseball games and even some our home basketball games against lesser opponents once LHN is gone.

Too bad.

When I go to the espn app, there’s every  sec feed there. My expectation is that we don’t lose any ability to see our home games. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gatorubet said:

I think you’re right Steve. It’s probably better just to let you decide which other programs have a rivalry worth protecting. 

I never mentioned a single game you should or shouldn't protect. Greg Sankey and the conference will do that for you, Gator. If you wanna cry in the Santa Fe, go back to the Gator boards.

If everyone is a rival then it is just a normal game. Rivalries aren't supposed to be normal games. They're special. Too many fans in the SEC think nearly half the teams in the old SEC are their rivals. If nearly half the teams in your old conference are your rivals then you don't have a rival. It would just be an average big game. You don't play a main rival every other week of the year.

You won't find Texas or any other team in any other conference in America that thinks nearly half the teams they play are main rivals. Texas isn't going to whine whether Arkansas is on the schedule or not. 

You will play your real rivals every year.

You will play everyone at least twice every four years.

If you can't live with that, you should go play with yourself.

I guess you could just tell Mr. Sankey how this is all gonna work, Gator? Inventing rivalries, stomping your feet and whining like a baby and creating fake traditions is all supposed to be reserved for ATM.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, Gatorubet said:

There you go again, you 655 post dip-shit. You sound like you’re 18 or 19.  I probably have gator gear older than you.  And I appreciate your position that how YOU say Texas views its rivals overrides the long history of the SEC and how we view OUR rivals - as poorly formed and inaccurate as that position may be.

And your insult game is pathetic. You are clearly not the kind of mentally challenged and ethically deficient asshole with prose panache who makes this site so great. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Take the neg. 

I don't think I've met many with thinner skin than you, Gator. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm nearly 50.

I originally wasn't being an asshole, but you responded like an asshole because you didn't agree with someone else's opinion that is not yours.. You're acting just like an aggie.

You're on a Texas board. Take your whiny ass back to the Florida board if want a one way street.

It's not an opinion. If every opponent was a rival, it would just be a normal game you play every week. Are you too dense to comprehend?

My first response wasn't even pointed at Florida. I simply made a statement that too many of us get carried away on what a rival is...and you got your panties in a wad over that? If you don't grow some skin, you're going to give yourself heart attack on here.

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

The SEC has added 5 schools in the West and only a single school in the East. South Carolina was always going to be the odd ball. Basically every school (that has more than one) will get 2 true rivals and the SEC will likely assign the third.

SC’s most played SEC games are Georgia (74), Florida (42), Tennessee (40), Kentucky (32) so they’ll likely get UGA/UF and a rando school like Mizzou as their #3.

Florida’s are Georgia (99), Auburn (84), Kentucky (72), LSU (68) so they’ll likely get UGA/LSU and have to deal with SC as their #3.

Florida is one of those schools in an odd position in the conference but I’m almost positive they’ll have UGA and SC as rivals, but #3 depends on how it shakes out will the other lineups and could be LSU, Tennessee, or possibly even Oklahoma (worst case scenario for them).

• immamac changed the title to New SEC divisions and pods thread (Page 30 starts recent discussion)