Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not a fair counter-point at all, imo. For a couple of reasons. First, Jeremy Pruitt did all kinds of bad shit, and it was exposed that he did it. Nothing that Jimbo Fisher has done has been publicly exposed...yet. aTm would have to make a decision to expose their coach (again, this isn't going to help attracting new coaches) and they would have to HOPE any further investigation didn't show that the school was culpable in any way. And do you think Fisher is going to sit back and not uncover the bodies? Keep in mind Texags is an arm of the athletic department...god forbid it was shown that some money laundering efforts went through Texags and some local T-shirt company. 

Second, while people are suddenly high on Huepel after a good season and good recruiting at Tenn, lets not forget that Tenn DID have trouble hiring coaches. They were turned down repeatedly by big names, and the Huepel hire wasn't exactly viewed as a slam dunk. He was like their 5th choice, and he was brought along by his old AD, if memory serves. Tenn has struggled to get coaches repeatedly the last decade. Could it maybe turn out as well as aTm, backing into someone competent like Traylor? Maybe. But if Traylor wins again at UTSA, and Texas wins with Sark this season, there's a good chance Traylor could find other pastures where he could succeed with less bullshit. I'm not sure Pittman is going to be viewed all that favorably at Arkansas if he loses this year, and again next year. 

It's a very messy situation for aTm, I don't think anyone can predict exactly how the outcome will go, other than they're probably not winning on the field. 

Yeah it's probably not the best example but the only example of a program throwing their own coach under the bus to get a for cause case that I can think of.  The bolded section of your response is why they probably never will try to throw him under the bus to for cause him but they are the aggies.

16 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The transfer portal is the worst thing to happen to schools like aTm. You can sell recruits over a weekend or two that the city isn't that bad. Then they get on campus and realize the College Station is an absolute shit hole with nothing to do (esp for black kids). Couple that with asshole coaches, terrible on field performance and no NIL prospects and you want out almost immediately. Before you were stuck, now players have options.

Flip that to schools like UT where there's a lot more to do. More NIL opportunities because of local businesses. Makes it easier to hang on to guys. 

The NIL could be mitigated some if aggy was a national brand, like Alabama, but they are not and the local options are abysmal.

59 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The transfer portal is the worst thing to happen to schools like aTm. You can sell recruits over a weekend or two that the city isn't that bad. Then they get on campus and realize the College Station is an absolute shit hole with nothing to do (esp for black kids). Couple that with asshole coaches, terrible on field performance and no NIL prospects and you want out almost immediately. Before you were stuck, now players have options.

Flip that to schools like UT where there's a lot more to do. More NIL opportunities because of local businesses. Makes it easier to hang on to guys. 

the-office-pam-beesly.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's not a fair counter-point at all, imo. For a couple of reasons. First, Jeremy Pruitt did all kinds of bad shit, and it was exposed that he did it. Nothing that Jimbo Fisher has done has been publicly exposed...yet. aTm would have to make a decision to expose their coach (again, this isn't going to help attracting new coaches) and they would have to HOPE any further investigation didn't show that the school was culpable in any way. And do you think Fisher is going to sit back and not uncover the bodies? Keep in mind Texags is an arm of the athletic department...god forbid it was shown that some money laundering efforts went through Texags and some local T-shirt company. 

Second, while people are suddenly high on Huepel after a good season and good recruiting at Tenn, lets not forget that Tenn DID have trouble hiring coaches. They were turned down repeatedly by big names, and the Huepel hire wasn't exactly viewed as a slam dunk. He was like their 5th choice, and he was brought along by his old AD, if memory serves. Tenn has struggled to get coaches repeatedly the last decade. Could it maybe turn out as well as aTm, backing into someone competent like Traylor? Maybe. But if Traylor wins again at UTSA, and Texas wins with Sark this season, there's a good chance Traylor could find other pastures where he could succeed with less bullshit. I'm not sure Pittman is going to be viewed all that favorably at Arkansas if he loses this year, and again next year. 

It's a very messy situation for aTm, I don't think anyone can predict exactly how the outcome will go, other than they're probably not winning on the field. 

of course that guy thinks that what Pruitt and Jimbo did are the same.

4 staff members got 3-5 year Show Cause penalties, and agreed to take them. Tennessee had 18 level I violations. Pruitt still is under investigation as is his DC. it's absolutely not the same situation or anywhere close to it, unless A&M gets hit for a bunch of Level I violations, the entire staff is canned and they try to fire him with cause.

Can only imagine the incoming tears over Wykoff are going to be delicious. I think Looch's spin over the loss of one of their best young OL will be even better.

Someone with a better idea of the numbers, I think this puts aggy in the md 60s on scholarships. Holy fuck.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Who cares that almost 30 players have left the team? They were bad apples and second-teamers afraid they'd never see the field. All you need are first teamers to win that natty.  And Jimbo knows  how to do that.

Their second-team QB is on the way to his Heisman. Their dozens of young DL are more seasoned now. Sky's the limit.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

These guys that think a buyout is coming after this season are in for some true heartache. It's not just the $30M-ish almost immediately for Fisher and assistants, but there's going to be a buyout to pay for any big name coach and staff that they hire. The big money guys have been paying up in the bag game and now NIL already and they're frustrated by lack of results from what was perceived to be a sure thing. How is a huge buyout to start over going to be palatable? I assume that dude is working at ATM until after the 2025 season, if not longer.

To expound a little on this, firing him this year would cost that $30 million and then $7.1 million each year until 2031. Then lets say they owe ~$3 million for the new coaches buyout and $7 million in salary and another $7 million in assistant salaries. There would be no bigger aggie move than investing $40 million up front and $20 million a year just to hire Mark Stoops or Dana Holgorsen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Those fools have convinced themselves that Foster is so much better when reality he's not.  He routinely got blown up his freshman year and didn't even play last year.  Who knows with this year??  If a 3* true freshman is starting at Center then they are fucked.  

Miami may not be good, but they have talent on the DL, including Leonard Taylor, who will probably be a high pick.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Can only imagine the incoming tears over Wykoff are going to be delicious. I think Looch's spin over the loss of one of their best young OL will be even better.

Someone with a better idea of the numbers, I think this puts aggy in the md 60s on scholarships. Holy fuck.

Almost there, since they are pushing to be so good that they only need 53 players on scholarship.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Those fools have convinced themselves that Foster is so much better when reality he's not.  He routinely got blown up his freshman year and didn't even play last year.  Who knows with this year??  If a 3* true freshman is starting at Center then they are fucked.  

Miami may not be good, but they have talent on the DL, including Leonard Taylor, who will probably be a high pick.

This. A guy who doesn't love football, coming off of a major injury, and doing track in the spring after getting his ass handed to him last season is not exactly a guy I want to be counting on and making line calls in Jimbo's spaghetti diagram of an offense to keep my oft concussed franchise QB from being out multiple games. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

They must have thrown more money at guys like Nolan, both Stewarts, Matthews, Anderson maybe??.

Also explains why they have been a net negative in the portal. They spent their cap already. And despite what Looch says, the aggy money doesn't trust Jimbo.

2 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

Yeah, obviously aggy is too picky about portal candidates.  Because who in their right mind wouldn't want play for jimbo?

Especially OL. Who wouldn't want the murderer's row (oh wait that's Durkin's music) of Addazio, Petrino, and Fisher coaching you?

• Haha 2

Besides actual football being played, this is about the second best time for football. 

Looking at the Horns to excel and aggy to implode. 

It's what Marge's French bowling instructor said: better than the deed, better than the memory: the anticipation. 

Or something like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sure visiting prospects walk away knowing they understand NIL more than the aggy staff that just hosted them.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread