Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

On 4/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

What's the story with Tarp? Is he a fighting texum aggy? He sure seems to have seen the light re: their team this year. These truth bombs he's been dropping don't really fit with the hive over there. 

He's jaded/more realistic from his years of covering A&M through the Fran/Sherman eras. But he also absolutely despises Texas, more than Perroni and Hamm combined. There's some semi-legendary rant of his floating around on the Internet after A&M's loss to us in 2011.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, tejas60 said:

image.png.a6d6532fa8c4dba7f36503b0a0fa99d4.png

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first penalty having to do with the hook 'em sign against a TEXAS reciever that threw it up after a touchdown to the fans in the stands?

why wouldn't we ask why the other team can do the horns down in our player's face and not get a penalty after that?

It's all bullshit and propaganda from A&M fans. A Baylor receiver was flagged for doing "thumbs down" after scoring against A&M back in 2011.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/312880245

image.png

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

Video of what started all this bullshit. It was Mike Davis holstering guns, not doing the horns up. Maybe there's something else out there, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

Yes thanks for the correction. It was Roy Williams who was penalized for throwing the horns up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

The whole Looch podcast is pure Pravda, but this part kiiiiilled me

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1ss9gmt

I have rarely listened to Billy talk about anything because he's an idiot, but the times I have listened to him, he has no idea what he's talking about. The phrase "talking out your ass" may have been invented to describe him.

Seriously, he makes a lot of "observations" about things he hasn't even seen. He watches A&M and then declares their greatness. That's it. He has no frame of reference. It's pure propaganda.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

It's pure propaganda.

Or, as he most likely puts it... "The Business Model"

Billy is Goebbels, and just like his audience did, the aggy faithful (despite the years and years of evidence to the contrary) drink up the Kool-Aid and believe what he feeds them with little to no pushback, lest you be seen as a "2%'er". Assuming he keeps the lights on and they don't turn on him, he's going to live like a king in CS and die a wealthy man, all thanks to morons that insist upon someone taking their money from them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

Or, as he most likely puts it... "The Business Model"

Billy is Goebbels, and just like his audience did, the aggy faithful (despite the years and years of evidence to the contrary) drink up the Kool-Aid and believe what he feeds them with little to no pushback, lest you be seen as a "2%'er". Assuming he keeps the lights on and they don't turn on him, he's going to live like a king in CS and die a wealthy man, all thanks to morons that insist upon someone taking their money from them. 

NOT COOL.  It is super fucking offensive of you to compare a decent guy like that to that inhuman, psychopathic fuckboi, Billy Luicci.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I have rarely listened to Billy talk about anything because he's an idiot, but the times I have listened to him, he has no idea what he's talking about. The phrase "talking out your ass" may have been invented to describe him.

Seriously, he makes a lot of "observations" about things he hasn't even seen. He watches A&M and then declares their greatness. That's it. He has no frame of reference. It's pure propaganda.

what gets me is when he makes pronouncements about expecting teams to take a step up or take a step back

he declares these to be facts and *NEVER* provides any evidence that supports his conclusions, and his flock never questions his declarations

• Hook 'Em 1

what gets me is when he makes pronouncements about expecting teams to take a step up or take a step back
he declares these to be facts and *NEVER* provides any evidence that supports his conclusions, and his flock never questions his declarations

Um, social acceptance to the cult of aggy requires no proof just faith. And some fleecing.

4 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Enjoy breakfast 

Indeed. Nice of some Aggies to produce some intended humor.  When they're bad, their boards have some pretty good gallows humor that sails over the heads of the unwashed.

Nice to see this oldie but goodie:

image.png.2a3a887b3585c7092b466bc95ee3e89b.png

National TV. Rematch of "Natty" game. Their record against Texas is abysmal over the years. Yep, the Tide was sleep walking and didn't want to be there. 

There's also a comment about Quinn Sewers (they're so good with nicknames) folding under the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa. He shellacked OU in the best college atmosphere there is.

I hope their whistling doesn't wake the sleepers in the graveyard. We're coming, assholes.

My goodness, this is going to be a fun couple of years.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bama had to replace both coordinators and they did so with pedestrian choices. I've posted, with spoilers, from another thread regarding Saban's choices and results with coaching changes over the past few years, along with turnover effect. 

Hide contents

Staff and Turnover Thoughts: Saban's recent history of choices and turnover on his staff is spotty.

Dude won it all in 2017 with an experienced staff with years of tenure working for him. He then turns over an absurd 6 coaches in 2018. Tosh Lupoi is his DC. They get blown out in the CFP final against Clemson. Saban then turns over an unbelievable 7 positions on his staff for the 2019 season, and they finish 8th and out of the playoffs.

He brings everyone back for 2020 with the exception of DL coach and S&C guy (who shocked everyone and went to Georgia), and they run roughshod over the schedule and win the title. In 2021, he replaces 5 assistants, including losing Sarkisian and adding BOB. He also hired Jay Valai and Doug Marrone. Wow. They finished 2nd to Georgia with a Heisman winner. They had, by Alabama standards, a disappointing 2022 season and had 4 new assistants, returning BOB and Golding, who he subsequently ushered out. 

The guy has had some fucking whiffs on his hires since 2017. He's fallible and years in which he has a bunch of turnover don't bode well, by Bama standards. 

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

He also added standouts for their roles like Sarkisian and Hutzler, but it is a fucking mixed bag at best. 

Offense: Maybe it's the case of "go with what you got" for Rees at ND. He called roughly 60% rushing plays in both 2020 and 2022. More like 50/50 in 2021 with better weapons then. TEs and RBs caught for roughly 40% of the pass plays across the span of the 3 years. Sarkisian's numbers are similar at Texas, but he inherited a deep TB room and had thin WR options both seasons. I'll be surprised if Texas is above 50% in rushing attempts in 2023 given the WR and TE options versus the TB room. 

Point is, it kind of looked like that was the kind of offense Rees wanted to run. I don't think for a second that Sarkisian had his ideal situation for offensive playcalling the past two seasons. So is Saban looking to go back to more of a ground and pound with his offense? That would dovetail with problems he's had with the WR room since 2020. The diva quotient is high at WR and low at TE and TB by comparison.

He's getting old. Maybe he wants less bullshit and thinks because he'll will it to happen, it will happen. We'll see. They tried to moneywhip Drake Maye into the portal. Whiffed. If they go through Spring practice and see uninspired QB play, do they try to shop for a dynamic QB again in the spring portal period? I'm guessing so, but I'm not sure who the target would be that isn't already being taken care of via NIL at their current school. 

Defense: At DC, he tried to hire Pruitt. That's been hashed over publicly and made the rounds offline too. What level of fuckery must Pruitt have truly taken things to for Saban to not be able to move forward with bringing him onboard? 

Steele just seems uninspired. I know he had helmed some really excellent defenses at Auburn from 2016-2019, and then had a corona fall-off the year Malzahn got fired. But yeah, the dude is 65 this year.

He basically sat out 2021 and then ran a really mediocre Miami defense in 2022. Saban's had him on staff twice and never was the actual DC in practice and playcalling. The guy was a disaster HC at Baylor, he played out a string at FSU as LB coach before joining Saban at Bama, then was a disaster at Clemson as DC, which led to Swinney hiring Venables to fix it, and then Steele was okay at LSU before doing well for a span of 4 seasons at Auburn. He wasn't Saban's first choice and he looks like a comfort hire for Saban. 

As to returning players, Bama loses something like 15 starters. On offense, they lose Young, Gibbs, Latu and 4 OL starters. They return McLellan at TB who is okay. The WRs they return scare no one. Burton is fine but he isn't dynamic. Neither QB has excited the staff unless Simpson has turned it on this week or something.

On defense, they lose Will Anderson, the polynesian mercenary LB, 4 of 5 starting DBs (including an expected 1st rounder) and 2 starting DL besides Anderson. They return Turner and McKinstry and unproven talent. Turner had a shit sophomore year to go along with him being a piece of shit human being. I'm sure he's going to turn it around in a contract year, however. 

They open against a well-coached bowl team from 2022 in MTSU. No doubt they'll beat them, but I'm guessing Saban would rather be opening against Akron or Mercer. There's an outside shot they don't get to rotate in as many players as they'd like in a normal blowout, but that might be good for reps.

Every program that has every ascended to the top of a sport falls eventually. Gravity is as real in sports as it is in society and business. Bama has signed recent classes that look great on paper but those who cover this stuff (but let others handle the rankings) and go to campuses and watch a ton of film, you know the type that actually does their job, do not think the current roster at Bama is anything like the title winning rosters of the past. If there is a year to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa under Saban, this is it.

If Texas does win this game, ATM fans will collectively shit themselves into a dehydrated coma. It's not a crazy outcome even if they think it is.

the lack of returning production + QB situation should scare the hell out of them.

Bill C's most recent returning production article from Feb has them at #125/133 by percentage, returning 40% of production. #120/133 on offense and #127/133 on defense.

he does account for transfers.

On average, teams returning at least 80% of production improve by about 5.8 adjusted points per game in the following season's SP+ ratings. That's a pretty significant bump! For a team ranked 25th in SP+ last year, adding 5.8 points to its rating would have bumped it to 10th. And in the past two seasons that weren't majorly impacted by a pandemic (2019 and 2022), the average improvement for teams at 80% or higher is 6.8 points.

On the other end, about 10% of teams (roughly 14 per season) return less than 50% of their production in a given season. That results in an average drop of about 6.0 adjusted points in SP+. For a team that was 10th last year, losing 6.0 points would drop it to 28th. And for the rare team that returns less than 40% of production, the outlook is generally dire: Only about 2% of teams fall under 40%, but they fall by an average of 11.3 points. Wyoming (34%), Hawai'i (31%) and Nevada (22%) were all on the terribly low end of the scale last season, and they fell by a massive average of 17.4 points.

There are no guarantees here, of course. Returning 87% of its production didn't stop BYU from underachieving in 2022, and returning just 33% didn't prevent Ohio State from improving slightly in 2016. But there's significant reason for optimism or pessimism if your team is at one extreme or the other in the table above. That's great news if you're a Florida State fan ... and pretty terrible news if you root for Kent State.

for comparison, Texas A&M is #7 returning 80% and Texas is #19 at 74%.

the talent that is on their team is undeniable. Saban is who he is. but huge turnover with coaching staff + huge turnover with production + game 2 of the season means that Texas really, really, really should win this game.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Bama had to replace both coordinators and they did so with pedestrian choices. I've posted, with spoilers, from another thread regarding Saban's choices and results with coaching changes over the past few years, along with turnover effect. 

Hide contents

Staff and Turnover Thoughts: Saban's recent history of choices and turnover on his staff is spotty.

Dude won it all in 2017 with an experienced staff with years of tenure working for him. He then turns over an absurd 6 coaches in 2018. Tosh Lupoi is his DC. They get blown out in the CFP final against Clemson. Saban then turns over an unbelievable 7 positions on his staff for the 2019 season, and they finish 8th and out of the playoffs.

He brings everyone back for 2020 with the exception of DL coach and S&C guy (who shocked everyone and went to Georgia), and they run roughshod over the schedule and win the title. In 2021, he replaces 5 assistants, including losing Sarkisian and adding BOB. He also hired Jay Valai and Doug Marrone. Wow. They finished 2nd to Georgia with a Heisman winner. They had, by Alabama standards, a disappointing 2022 season and had 4 new assistants, returning BOB and Golding, who he subsequently ushered out. 

The guy has had some fucking whiffs on his hires since 2017. He's fallible and years in which he has a bunch of turnover don't bode well, by Bama standards. 

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

He also added standouts for their roles like Sarkisian and Hutzler, but it is a fucking mixed bag at best. 

Offense: Maybe it's the case of "go with what you got" for Rees at ND. He called roughly 60% rushing plays in both 2020 and 2022. More like 50/50 in 2021 with better weapons then. TEs and RBs caught for roughly 40% of the pass plays across the span of the 3 years. Sarkisian's numbers are similar at Texas, but he inherited a deep TB room and had thin WR options both seasons. I'll be surprised if Texas is above 50% in rushing attempts in 2023 given the WR and TE options versus the TB room. 

Point is, it kind of looked like that was the kind of offense Rees wanted to run. I don't think for a second that Sarkisian had his ideal situation for offensive playcalling the past two seasons. So is Saban looking to go back to more of a ground and pound with his offense? That would dovetail with problems he's had with the WR room since 2020. The diva quotient is high at WR and low at TE and TB by comparison.

He's getting old. Maybe he wants less bullshit and thinks because he'll will it to happen, it will happen. We'll see. They tried to moneywhip Drake Maye into the portal. Whiffed. If they go through Spring practice and see uninspired QB play, do they try to shop for a dynamic QB again in the spring portal period? I'm guessing so, but I'm not sure who the target would be that isn't already being taken care of via NIL at their current school. 

Defense: At DC, he tried to hire Pruitt. That's been hashed over publicly and made the rounds offline too. What level of fuckery must Pruitt have truly taken things to for Saban to not be able to move forward with bringing him onboard? 

Steele just seems uninspired. I know he had helmed some really excellent defenses at Auburn from 2016-2019, and then had a corona fall-off the year Malzahn got fired. But yeah, the dude is 65 this year.

He basically sat out 2021 and then ran a really mediocre Miami defense in 2022. Saban's had him on staff twice and never was the actual DC in practice and playcalling. The guy was a disaster HC at Baylor, he played out a string at FSU as LB coach before joining Saban at Bama, then was a disaster at Clemson as DC, which led to Swinney hiring Venables to fix it, and then Steele was okay at LSU before doing well for a span of 4 seasons at Auburn. He wasn't Saban's first choice and he looks like a comfort hire for Saban. 

As to returning players, Bama loses something like 15 starters. On offense, they lose Young, Gibbs, Latu and 4 OL starters. They return McLellan at TB who is okay. The WRs they return scare no one. Burton is fine but he isn't dynamic. Neither QB has excited the staff unless Simpson has turned it on this week or something.

On defense, they lose Will Anderson, the polynesian mercenary LB, 4 of 5 starting DBs (including an expected 1st rounder) and 2 starting DL besides Anderson. They return Turner and McKinstry and unproven talent. Turner had a shit sophomore year to go along with him being a piece of shit human being. I'm sure he's going to turn it around in a contract year, however. 

They open against a well-coached bowl team from 2022 in MTSU. No doubt they'll beat them, but I'm guessing Saban would rather be opening against Akron or Mercer. There's an outside shot they don't get to rotate in as many players as they'd like in a normal blowout, but that might be good for reps.

Every program that has every ascended to the top of a sport falls eventually. Gravity is as real in sports as it is in society and business. Bama has signed recent classes that look great on paper but those who cover this stuff (but let others handle the rankings) and go to campuses and watch a ton of film, you know the type that actually does their job, do not think the current roster at Bama is anything like the title winning rosters of the past. If there is a year to beat Bama in Tuscaloosa under Saban, this is it.

If Texas does win this game, ATM fans will collectively shit themselves into a dehydrated coma. It's not a crazy outcome even if they think it is.

Alabraska, clap clap clap clap clap  Alabraska.  

They are going to rue the day they have to compete with Texas on a level playing field without the tailwinds of conference getting sucked off and being 1 of 10 schools in the bidding market for illegally paying players.  They are fucked and Saban knows it.  

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Of course they shit themselves if people walk on the grass. Or don't uncover. Or do uncover...

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, Nivek said:

Roy Williams was flagged for a Hook EM as he ran into the endzone.   Countless opponents did the horns down to our players on the ground, the bench/sideline, and to the fans with no penalty.  When we did our own "holster the guns" we were flagged for taunting.    Herman asked for clarity and consistency between taunting and the B12 office had a fit about it and spun it to try to make it seem like we were whining.   

As always Texas looked to the conference to simply consistently enforce rules.  And the conference acted like a bitch about it, every school acted like a bitch about it, and the news ran with the bitchiness angle because sports writers are morons.  Just like Mack Brown's "politicking" to get us into a BCS bowl (which we earned) instead of a-aron bitchboy rogers incessantly whining about it only to get skull fucked by Texas Tech, while we beat Michigan and VY gave a preview of what was to come.

Quoted again so aggy lurkers don’t forget it in their tiny minds.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were a Bammer rn literally the only thing that could keep me from Sepukku for this upcoming season is the fact Saban is still head corch, and Bama's "down" years still mean at least 8 wins.

Also, gumps rarely lose in Tuscaloosa..Saban could have Shawn Watson crafting the offense and mastermind Todd Orlando scheming up defense and that wouldn't change..much. Having said that, I like our chances this year. Game will be decided by how our O-line plays, and for the first time in eons I think we'll actually be ok there.

Quoted again so aggy lurkers don’t forget it in their tiny minds.
It won't matter, the horns down narrative is set and decided as far as they're concerned. Even the ones intelligent enough to know we didn't lobby for horns down to be a penalty will still run with the fairy tale version because it sounds better to them.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

the talent that is on their team is undeniable. Saban is who he is. but huge turnover with coaching staff + huge turnover with production + game 2 of the season means that Texas really, really, really should win this game.

when harry met sally ill have what shes having GIF

I'm excited about the season and the direction of the program, but "should" beat Bama at home is too much hope for me. The last decade has rendered me incapable of that level of optimism. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Reveal hidden contents

Since 2017:

-Tosh Lupoi at DC

-Pete Golding at DC

-Bill O'Brien at OC

-Drew Svaboda

-Jay Valai

-Doug Marrone

-Tommy Rees at OC

I agree by all measures Texas has a chance to win the game but Steve will have to do something he rarely does and beat a ranked opponent by recording an upset. If we stay fairly injury free all analysis this coming year regarding whether we can win or not comes down to Steve's competence as a head coach during games. His history just does not bode well for us but lets hope and pray he has figured it out.

In my view Steve's issues come down to three things. He strikes me as someone that needs to sit down and think things through thoroughly before pulling the trigger which makes him a great game planner but bad at in game adjustments. He is a stubborn optimist "The next time I call it it is going to work", his optimism makes him a great recruiter and a great spokesman for the program but may be the cause for his stagnate offenses at times. He wants to be the OC and that takes away from the time he should be spending making sure his defensive coaches are making in game adjustments when they get lost. I like the guy he has built a really good roster and I hope the light bulb goes off that takes him from mediocre to very good. In my view he needs an old Xs and Os guy with a great feel for the game that can persuade him to pull the trigger sooner on adjustments during games. The other proven solution is that you have so much talent on staff and players that they cover up your coaching mistakes.

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread