Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread

texifornia

I mean what the fuck did they expect. Two guys that couldn't play CB in a P5 conference were suddenly going to be able to play CB in another P5 conference. Jimbo really has no idea what he is doing. He's just chasing star power for the perceived momentum that should bring without the benefit of those guys actually being able to play football.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ousux said:
11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Quoted again so aggy lurkers don’t forget it in their tiny minds.

It won't matter, the horns down narrative is set and decided as far as they're concerned. Even the ones intelligent enough to know we didn't lobby for horns down to be a penalty will still run with the fairy tale version because it sounds better to them.

question: does the SEC have a policy on this?  if every transgression resulted in a fine, aggy will go broke and insist on their right to do so

9 hours ago, Getafix said:

This is interesting.

For Aggie fans, it's a pretty worrisome set of comments from Tarp, about their DBs.  Particularly given how high the average fan has been on their first couple of DB acquisitions via the portal (Grimes, McCall).  Everyone penciled them in as solid starters - whoop!  The comments follow some routine bickering w/ KKL in the Bobby Taylor thread, which I'll begin with, for context. 

image.thumb.png.a826ee7cd8665b8f1a711854786373cd.png

image.thumb.png.72227d439d13dde23e95cca52372b017.png

image.thumb.png.fe26346dc3ad9ae6444f21e7ad53acdb.png

image.thumb.png.2a58d53e9ccf14e910e969a613a5e681.png

image.thumb.png.b488c8f6b08d877f9970de130105f266.png

image.thumb.png.341bd0d3150017c20b85c87920208140.png

image.thumb.png.99e4817e83a8afc795a2faa24bef3189.png

image.thumb.png.e288bdbfe4452006d922db2a3dc4b833.png

image.thumb.png.25a7c91f7a500b1058ca10949dc45084.png

image.thumb.png.7ef272c8d0e3ba1535d5888f0701acda.png

image.thumb.png.0cd0d2754ec1d4fc9a0c6ec83e09c5fd.png

image.thumb.png.b8f992e8d27fb8fb02e70ad7cdc76f49.png

Freshwater gotta' be loving this about the aggy secondary

USATSI_17011330-scaled-e1635258228601.jpg

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

8 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

question: does the SEC have a policy on this?  if every transgression resulted in a fine, aggy will go broke and insist on their right to do so

Well, the penalty is supposedly only for taunting by players on the field during game time. No telling what aggy will do after the final gun.

Their mongoloid clown show fans? Who gives a shit?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I mean what the fuck did they expect. Two guys that couldn't play CB in a P5 conference were suddenly going to be able to play CB in another P5 conference. Jimbo really has no idea what he is doing. He's just chasing star power for the perceived momentum that should bring without the benefit of those guys actually being able to play football.

From the same fanbase that says Manning is overrated because he didn't play at a big school and that coming to the SEC is like going to the NFL.  

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Thomas Johnson was a 5*.
https://247sports.com/player/thomas-johnson-405/

His time in CS wasn’t wasted. Apparently the corps taught him how to use a sword. 
https://www.si.com/college/2019/05/01/texas-am-thomas-johnson-murder-sentence-prison

Forgot about that horrific deal.  He is the one that up and left and nobody knew where he was for a while IIRC. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Getafix said:

This is interesting.

For Aggie fans, it's a pretty worrisome set of comments from Tarp, about their DBs.  Particularly given how high the average fan has been on their first couple of DB acquisitions via the portal (Grimes, McCall).  Everyone penciled them in as solid starters - whoop!  The comments follow some routine bickering w/ KKL in the Bobby Taylor thread, which I'll begin with, for context. 

image.thumb.png.a826ee7cd8665b8f1a711854786373cd.png

image.thumb.png.72227d439d13dde23e95cca52372b017.png

image.thumb.png.fe26346dc3ad9ae6444f21e7ad53acdb.png

image.thumb.png.2a58d53e9ccf14e910e969a613a5e681.png

image.thumb.png.b488c8f6b08d877f9970de130105f266.png

image.thumb.png.341bd0d3150017c20b85c87920208140.png

image.thumb.png.99e4817e83a8afc795a2faa24bef3189.png

image.thumb.png.e288bdbfe4452006d922db2a3dc4b833.png

image.thumb.png.25a7c91f7a500b1058ca10949dc45084.png

image.thumb.png.7ef272c8d0e3ba1535d5888f0701acda.png

image.thumb.png.0cd0d2754ec1d4fc9a0c6ec83e09c5fd.png

image.thumb.png.b8f992e8d27fb8fb02e70ad7cdc76f49.png

Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

You know Thomas Johnson developed schizophrenia, right? I am all for piling on aggy, but have a heart when it comes to him as he got dealt a shitty hand. Also, he wasn't a CB, he was a WR. He was originally committed to Texas and then flipped to aggy, IIRC. Sadly, in the end it wouldn't have mattered where he played football. 

Username checks out

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

You know Thomas Johnson developed schizophrenia, right? I am all for piling on aggy, but have a heart when it comes to him as he got dealt a shitty hand. Also, he wasn't a CB, he was a WR. He was originally committed to Texas and then flipped to aggy, IIRC. Sadly, in the end it wouldn't have mattered where he played football. 

Yep. It's a horrible story. I'd forgotten about the widow. From the link:

Stevens's wife of 25 years died by suicide in October 2015, weeks after the murder. Patti Smith had told the Dallas Morning News that she hadn't been sleeping or eating since her husband's death.

A schizophrenic, Johnson was ruled incompetent to stand trial at first and sent to a mental institution. That was reversed. He's serving life in prison now. Horrible all around. 

Guy just goes out for a run...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Forgot about that horrific deal.  He is the one that up and left and nobody knew where he was for a while IIRC. 

There was discussion back in the Shaggy days that he started behaving strangely and became socially isolated while at aggy. It is more than likely that he experienced his first break of psychosis then. He was the right age for it to happen. Sometimes a major life change (like going off to college) or consuming marijuana or a combination of factors can precipitate it. 

The reason why he disappeared is that he was likely experiencing auditory hallucinations (hearing voices in his head) and quite literally attempting to run away them. Patients with psychotic disorders are more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators of violence. But from time to time, truly awful shit happens like Thomas Johnson killing a random person with a sword. 

I know Johnson was found guilty of murder, but given his back story, it really feels like he got a raw deal from the justice system. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

There was discussion back in the Shaggy days that he started behaving strangely and became socially isolated while at aggy. It is more than likely that he experienced his first break of psychosis then. He was the right age for it to happen. Sometimes a major life change (like going off to college) or consuming marijuana or a combination of factors can precipitate it.  Living in College Station

The reason why he disappeared is that he was likely experiencing auditory hallucinations (hearing voices in his head) and quite literally attempting to run away them. Patients with psychotic disorders are more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators of violence. But from time to time, truly awful shit happens like Thomas Johnson killing a random person with a sword. 

I know Johnson was found guilty of murder, but given his back story, it really feels like he got a raw deal from the justice system. 

FIFY

Spoiler

Patients with psychotic disorders are more likely to be victims of violence rather than perpetrators of violence. But from time to time, truly awful shit happens like Thomas Johnson killing a random person with a sword. 

I had no idea about the bolded part.

5 hours ago, nnm said:

“Middle-tier SEC team?!?!”

IMG_1791.thumb.jpeg.e5cb3e8cde8e68774aa89950e76c161b.jpeg

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Well at least he said Middle-tier. On their boards they were arguing that they belong in the top tier in the west with Alabama and LSU.

They finished with equal or better conference records than teams in both divisions: middle tier.

AKA tied for last place.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, RabidM said:

Hmmmm, could aggy actually pull the NIL deals of players who arrived in the early portal period?  Shirley, they wouldn't dare. But... what if they need to reallocate that money for players who can actually start for them?  

this would explain the bill in the lege to protect aggy from all nil shenanigans

15 hours ago, RabidM said:

Hmmmm, could aggy actually pull the NIL deals of players who arrived in the early portal period?  Shirley, they wouldn't dare. But... what if they need to reallocate that money for players who can actually start for them?  

I think actual NIL means contracts signed... Money paid for services rendered. So I don't think aggy can just pull or cancel contracts.

Now aggy "NIL", which is likely something else entirely, maybe they could. What would the players do, tattle on them?

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

There was discussion back in the Shaggy days that he started behaving strangely and became socially isolated while at aggy. It is more than likely that he experienced his first break of psychosis then. He was the right age for it to happen. Sometimes a major life change (like going off to college) or consuming marijuana or a combination of factors can precipitate it. 

Yeah. He should have been been found not guilty by reason of insanity. He’d spend years, probably decades in an institution, but it beats the shit out of prison. If his family paid an attorney 20 bucks, they got screwed. 

I’m glad big corporations/organizations seem to be finally taking mental health seriously and throwing resources at them. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, even though I’m certain it would be the funniest shit ever to aggy if Thomas Johnson was a horn, it was a absolutely tragic event.  His disease ruined many lives.  

I don't think the Aggies would think it was funny - they'd shake their heads, call it a tragedy, then blame it on Texas / Austin. They would say "poor kid, all that pressure at Texas probably got to him. I'm sure all the drugs and degeneracy that goes on in Austin didn't help. Can't believe that the program wouldn't give him the help he needed. The sips truly are evil."

They would never pass up a chance to put their false piety on display, or risk their perceived moral superiority by laughing. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Park Gothic said:

I don't think the Aggies would think it was funny - they'd shake their heads, call it a tragedy, then blame it on Texas / Austin. They would say "poor kid, all that pressure at Texas probably got to him. I'm sure all the drugs and degeneracy that goes on in Austin didn't help. Can't believe that the program wouldn't give him the help he needed. The sips truly are evil."

They would never pass up a chance to put their false piety on display, or risk their perceived moral superiority by laughing. 

You’re right.  Funny isn’t the word, but you nailed what I was attempting to convey. 

• Hook 'Em 2

There is a bill in the Lege that says the NCAA can't do shit to enforce NIL "laws" on Texas schools, since aggy is the one that cheats the most they are the one who stands the most to benefit, from screwing over players.

Edited by linux

25 minutes ago, linux said:

There is a bill in the Lege that says the NCAA can't do shit to enforce NIL "laws" on Texas schools, since aggy is the one that cheats the most they are the one who stands the most to benefit, from screwing over players.

21 minutes ago, TheBryMan81 said:

If this gets passed, expect Texas to take as much advantage of this cover as anyone. I am rooting for it, I guess, since this is where we are nowadays.

• Hook 'Em 9

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Can the NCAA not tell the teams in Texas who do this that they will forfeit/vacate any wins if they play the players who broke the rules?  Not a lawyer, but they are the governing body as of today. 

Can they? Sure. Will they? Doubtful. They know their days are numbered and making enemies of Texas schools would expedite their demise

• Hook 'Em 1

I blacked out for a few months there with a newborn, but did aggy ever get anything more than an NCAA letter for their 12th man NIL thing? I remember much gnashing of teeth at the time and talks of schools complaining to the NCAA, but wasn’t sure if they had to walk anything back. Maybe not enough time has passed.

On 4/20/2023 at 7:11 AM, UDontKnow said:

Does this mean that there is a part of him that was still committed to Texas? I'll see myself out. 

Edited by Vertigo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Can the NCAA not tell the teams in Texas who do this that they will forfeit/vacate any wins if they play the players who broke the rules?  Not a lawyer, but they are the governing body as of today. 

Yeah, I'm not sure how this would work. NCAA is a private company. Shit, why not pass a law that says Texas schools don't have to follow NCAA scholarship limits.

(Medical reasons - wish him the best.)

A&M OL Josh Bankhead announces his retirement from football

Tarp

Spoiler

A&M OL Josh Bankhead announces his retirement from football

Tarp

Texas A&M offensive lineman Josh Bankhead posted on social media today that he is retiring from college football due to health issues. He posted "After 3 concussions and several back injuries I have decided to medically retire from the game of football. This is easily the most heartbreaking decision I have ever made and of course I am going to miss it. All of it. At the end of the day I have to trust that God has a plan for me and I need to continue to have faith in that."

"Dear @aggiefootball, Thank you so much for the memories, the laughs, the encouragement, the wild nights in Kyle, my teammates, and most importantly the opportunity to further my athletic career as well as giving me a shot at a premier education. I will always love and appreciate every staff member that works in the Bright Football Complex. From the head coach all the way down to the support staff. I'd like to think I did the best I could to have a good relationship and a good impact on everyone's lives in the organization. I came to Texas A&M in hopes to leave it way better than I found it."

Bankhead began the spring with the second unit during sessions open to the media but was on the sidelines for most of spring ball. He redshirted in 2020 and played a combined total of 23 plays in 2021 and 2022.  

A finalist for the Houston Touchdown Club Player of the Year as a senior after the 2019 season. ankhead was rated as three-star out of Woodland College Park High School with a 247 Sports Composite of .8709. He was ranked as the 36th bets offensive guard nationally and the 77th best player in the state of Texas.

Bankhead played under former A&M tight end and defensive lineman Lonnie Madison. He was also a lifelong A&M fan and committed to the Aggies after picking up an offer after he visited Aggieland for the 2018 spring game.

"I was up at the spring game last Saturday and then, on Sunday, I got the offensive line coach's number to call him," Bankhead told Gigem247.com's Brian Perroni in the spring of 2018. "Coach (Jim) Turner, he basically said he wanted me to come back for another visit on Wednesday. I sat down with Jimbo Fisher and he offered me."

7 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Can they? Sure. Will they? Doubtful. They know their days are numbered and making enemies of Texas schools would expedite their demise

1.  This is hilarious as the state of Texas has no legal authority over the NCAA.  It would be like passing a Bill saying the NFL can't punish the Cowboys for tampering.

2.  Even if the NCAA submitted to the state's authority, they would just ban any championships from being played in the state.

3.  This would only affect things from a legal perspective,  NCAA relying on legal investigation or such.  They very much could declare any team they wanted ineligible and the Lege could do jack squat.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• texifornia changed the title to Negative Recruiting Your Own School: The aggy Screenshot Megathread