Jimbo 2019: The Only Tail Getting Busted is Candi's

closetojumping

1 hour ago, Not a Sock said:

What do they all lose on defense? Because if they lose much of their line or LBers they are fucked and Elkos stock will crash.

The other thing is Temple is a 8-4 team that will return a lot. I actually think Elko will take the job if offered. Not sure he's the top target though. 

The Temple job is better than people think. Elko could get a better head coaching gig in a couple years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 hours ago, RabidM said:

The NCAA needs to address teams scheduling 4 road games a year.  That's fucking absurd. 

Agreed that's absurd, but  that's how they do it every year. 

Move to SEC.  check

schedule 1 OOC game, 2 gimmies and an FCS.  Check

play only 8 conference games, 4 home, 4 away, all the rest at home.  Check

take a week off early, take a second week off late (FCS week).  Check

partake in the artificial raking inflation program promoted by new conference.  Check

finish tied for 7th in conference. Check

bitch about their old conference and how they game the system to their benefit   Check. 

Rollercoasters and decomit season, never change aggy or this thread will die a slow and boring death. 

• Like 3

Enjoy

Spoiler

Liucci

4:31p, 12/10/18

Staff

AG

Quote:

Who do we close with (on the recruiting front)? 

Good question in light of what happened on Saturday night. If I'm trying to decode this thing today, I think it's David Ugwoegbu, a JUCO corner and I'm torn on two out of three between Derick HunterMarcus Banks, a second JUCO corner or a January linebacker addition. Depending on what kind of room the Aggies have in January, Ainias Smith could still factor into the mix, as well. If they were to close with Ugwoegbu, Banks, Hunter and a JC addition at corner, that's a very strong finish with Jalen Wydermyer factored into that group.

Quote:

When do bowl practices start/will we hear if any of the young/injured guys are earning any playing time?

This week. Yeah, I'll keep you guys posted on any of the youngsters earning PT who we didn't see a lot of earlier in the season (I'm not expecting much of that, barring any somewhat surprising early entries choosing not to play in the Gator Bowl). I have heard that Myles Jones shouldn't have an issue. Last we saw of #10, he was being helped off the field with a leg injury in one of the late OTs vs LSU.

Quote:

What are your thoughts on the Finley hire? 

Love the hire. I'll include my thoughts from this week's 'Scattershooting' segment here and also add that he's VERY highly-regarded in the Texas high school coaching community. 

Here's what I said following the hire:
Consider me a big fan of the Joe Jon Finley hire. First and foremost, it's never a bad thing when you lose a highly-respected and valuable assistant coach and are able to replace him in a matter of days. Why? Because that's a pretty good indication that Jimbo Fisher went out and landed the first guy he offered (which was, in fact, exactly the case). Just like in recruiting, it's always a good sign when you're going out and landing the guys you want.

The reasons Fisher wanted to add the 33-year old Finley to his staff should be pretty obvious. He's a young, energetic assistant who was considered not only Barry Odom's best recruiter at Missouri but also a rising star in the profession. On top of that, Joe Jon is a native Texan who played high school ball in Arlington and comes from a football family. His dad was a championship coach at Cuero and his brother, Clint, played defensive back at Nebraska. Finley's (recent) playing career at the position he started at Oklahoma on some of Bob Stoops' best Sooner teams and played in the NFL will be a tremendous asset when coaching the Ags' young talent at the position, and I love the idea of Finley joining Elijah Robinson and Mo Linguist as guys bringing some great young energy to the practice fields and on the recruiting trail. Jimbo has a very nice mix working with this staff, and Finley only adds to that. A strong, swift hire with SEC, Texas and NFL ties...just the way Fisher would have drawn it up."

Quote:

Any possibility of seeing redshirted players in the bowl game or is that a long shot? 

I see Dalton is back in action when it comes to semi-repeating questions despite my asking him to pull 25 out of about 100 but here we go: A lot of that would depend on whether or not certain guys turned pro and opted not to play in the bowl game or due to injuries. Maybe if McCoy turned pro, you could possibly see Matthews but that would still probably be McCollum at center and Lanfear or Hocker at guard. Maybe if Williams turned pro and didn't play, you'd see more of someone like Vernon Jackson as the backup tailback to Corbin? Just some stuff that is possible but I still don't think either is likely.

Quote:

How do you feel about tu/Georgia? I'm a little nervous, seems like Herman always manages to get his teams "up" for one or two big games a year. 

Yeah, Herman does seem to do that. He knocked off FSU in his last bowl at UH and Mizzou and Drew Locke last year. However, Missouri didn't beat a team with a winning record all of last season and Jimbo Fisher's Seminoles were decimated by injuries and missing players and ended up playing their third-string QB for a large part of that game. Where am I going with this? Georgia is a pretty young team with their eyes on the 2019 national title (one of about four A&M opponents next year that could have a legitimate look at it). They felt snubbed out of the playoff and are still an up-and-coming power under Kirby Smart so, at the very least, I expect the Horns will get UGA's best shot. That should not end well for Texas, but I've seen too many weird results in bowl games to call this an easy win for the Dawgs. Interesting that two of Texas' next three games or so will come against Georgia and LSU. If they lose, that's a five-loss season for the Horns which would make their season the freaking loudest 5-loss campaign in college football history. 

Quote:

Call your shot, which big name recruit not currently committed to the Ags will sign in February? 

I have one in mind but will sit this one out. My hint? It's not a 'flip back.' If I have to pick one outside of that, I'll go with David Ugwoegbu. He's a bigger deal than you think, by the way. Really good player on the edge and just as big a need as some of the others we've been talking about.

Quote:

Are you seeing any positive recruiting momentum after the win against LSU? 

Absolutely. There is plenty brewing in the 2020 ranks. Hide and watch. You'll see it in the form of a big commit or two soon enough. I think folks are losing sight of the fact that there are really only a very small handful of guys that the Ags are still recruiting in 2019 and a couple of them - guys like Nakobe Dean - have been long shots for a while now. Losing Harris and Carter stings but even with those guys gone, the Aggies have at most four spots available. As I've been trying to tell folks since this summer, there's a pretty hard cap at 26 for the Ags in this class. But, yes, there's a lot of momentum building beyond next Wednesday in the '20 and '21 ranks, which should be fairly obvious and expected after Jimbo's first season in College Station.

Quote:

If you had to choose between A&M beating both Clemson & Georgia or A&M beating Alabama in 2019, which would you choose? 

At first glance, I was going to say it was an easy answer: Clemson and Georgia. But it really depends on whether or not the Ags are beating LSU in Baton Rouge in this scenario. If so, then you want to beat Bama because you almost certainly win the West and will get another crack at Georgia in the title game with a berth in the playoff on the line and you emerge as Nick Saban's worst nightmare - a legitimate year-to-year threat in the West. If the Ags were to drop their final game of the season in Baton Rouge, I'd probably say beat Clemson and UGA and finish 10-2 with two monster, top-5 wins. That would mean A&M was in the playoff picture all season and find themselves in a NY6 bowl and the chance at a top-5 finish with a bowl win.

Quote:

What are your thoughts on players skipping out on bowl games to prepare for the NFL? 

I don't love it but I understand. My preference is to see guys line up with their teammates, like Myles Garrett and Christian Kirk the past couple of years, but it's not you or I putting a lot of money at risk in a game played weeks after the season actually ends. Plus, normally it's one that is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I get it but I know I'd be a guy who played in said game and I think it says something about the dude's commitment to his team and teammates. That said, I really wouldn't begrudge anyone for choosing to sit so I clearly don't feel too strongly about it either way. My issue is what happens when players start choosing to sit out during, say, a team's last couple of games plus the bowl once they are out of playoff or conference title contention? Because that day is coming. Imagine how many Longhorns will start sitting out the annual Thanksgiving weekend date with Kansas on years when the Horns aren't playing in the title game???

Quote:

So much talk about SOS lately. Do you prefer scheduling a top P5 or go more with a lower tier P5 program (and why)? 

Remember, when the Ags scheduled Clemson they weren't what they are today. That said, I'm all about playing a premier non-conference game but not two. I'd prefer games against big-name teams like Clemson, Notre Dame, Miami and maybe in the future someone like Ohio State or Michigan or Penn State or USC. Whether those teams end up ranked 2nd, 8th or 16th when the Ags take them on is fine either way and too unpredictable to worry about. I like those games better than Colorado or Arizona State (though I don't hate those either). I'd like to see a second, lesser power five non-conf opponent mixed in here and there, as well.

Quote:

Do we get a hat on the table when Ishmael Sopsher announces?

Probably so, but he's going to end up at Bama or LSU. The thing that hurts right now is that these guys - Sopsher, Dean and Harris - were REALLY high on A&M but the Ags aren't quite to the point that they're able to win the highest-of-profile battles for OOS five-stars. I think we'll see a breakthrough in 2020. The thing is, his best relationship with any coach/recruiter is with Elijah Robinson and it's not even close.

Quote:

Georgia and Michigan have gotten close to being national championship caliber programs under Smart and Harbaugh, but is their approach to offense too vanilla and holding them back? Can A&M get to where those programs are, and go further, because of Jimbo's dynamic system?

Well, Smart certainly inherited more talent at UGA and Michigan is in an easier conference (despite what the moronic national media spent the last couple of years trying to push). But to your point, yes, I do think the A&M offense is plenty good enough to score against elite defenses and win games. Georgia can, too, by the way. They're fine. Look at it this way: In year one in a new, complicated system with a sophomore QB, virtually no experience at WR and an o-line that had to improve throughout the season, the Ags moved the ball for much of the game against Bama, lit Clemson up late and scored 26 and moved the ball and scored 31 in regulation against LSU. Things should only get better for the Ags from here.

Quote:

Who takes over the recruiting coordinator title?

No idea but Brewster wasn't the one coordinating recruiting. He was an outstanding recruiter but Austin Thomas is the man who runs the operation as far as the Ags' big-picture recruiting efforts go.

Quote:

Is Myles Jones healthy? 

See above. I'm betting he should be good to go but that's nothing official.

Quote:

How far would MBB have to fall for us to pull the trigger to make a change? 

I don't know the answer to that, but I fear we may find out because this team has a lonnnnnnng way to go. Hope to see them turn it around under BK.

Quote:

Next A&M assistant to get a head coaching gig? 

I'd say Elko but I don't think it's imminent, barring something out of the blue like what happened with Kliff and Tech. He's got what it takes in my opinion.

Quote:

What is your favorite thing or intangible that Jimbo Fisher brings to the Aggie Football program?

To me there are several. First and foremost, the players love playing for him but they also respect the hell out of him as THE authority figure. He coaches them in such a manner that he can be hard on them and yell when he needs to because they genuinely know he cares, he makes them want to do everything that it takes to win and they know he has their best interests as players and young men at heart. From there, I just love the passion with which he attacks coaching and recruiting. I'm telling you guys, if you talk to him or are around him for five minutes, you'll realize he cares about recruiting more than even the most die-hard among us on these forums and that he actually loves competing for, evaluating and signing great players. He demands the same from his entire staff.

Quote:

Who wins the Heisman? 

Tua? Kidding...I'm answering these on Sunday. I don't have a problem with Kyler winning it because I think he was the most electrifying player in college football this year and one of the two best. My only issue is that most will tell you that Kyler won in by playing so well in OU's last two games, but I'd say he did it against defenses that about ten other quarterbacks lit up this year. While Kyler was carving up Texas and Tua was struggling against Georgia and a top-12 defense, he was doing to Texas the same thing Grier, the guy from Oklahoma State, the guy from Maryland and Jet freaking Duffy did. That's my only issue. By the way, many on this board would have called for Tua to lose his job permanently based on his numbers (10 of 25 for 125 yards or so and two INTs with a TD) against UGA last weekend, amirite???

Quote:

Who is the most underrated recruit we have coming in?

I'm a big fan of Kameron Brown and Layden Robinson as being pretty criminally underrated. Then again, Jalen Wydermyer and Dylan Wright are two guys who are basically four-star prospects yet STILL underrated as both have the potential to leave Aggieland as very high NFL Draft picks. Oh yeah, and there's also Brian Williams - a former five-star safety who saw his 'ranking' drop mysteriously during the summer. All the gifted safety and exceptional leader/winner did this fall was collect a state title and push his career interception total to 22. He's a five-star playmaker, plain and simple.

Quote:

Who is the biggest game-changing recruit? 

Game-changer? I don't hesitate in saying DeMarvin Leal. I think he's right there with Bobby Brown as the best d-line prospects the Ags have landed since Myles Garrett, and that list includes some big names. They're both on that level - the type of guys Nick Saban would trade virtually any of his commits for in case you're still dwelling on Jeffery Carter or Christian Harris. If you want me to name another, I'll say Demani Richardson. Total stud at safety and another that Bama desperately wanted.

Quote:

Leon O'Neal - Where does he factor in next season? 

I'm really not sure, but I do think he's either a primary role player or a starter. Leon has really matured since arriving on campus and is ready to make an impact. I loved his energy all season on special teams, getting the crowd involved and encouraging his teammates while knowing he wasn't going play much on defense. He's got real leadership potential once he cracks the starting lineup. I just wish I could get a better gauge for how big he's going to get between now and next season or if he could even shed some weight under Jerry Schmidt because I'm just not positive if he's one of your two starting safeties or even a rover in Elko's scheme. We'll get a better feel this spring, but my guess is a straight safety still.

Quote:

What's your take on Jalen Hurts and how cool was his decision to stay and NOT transfer just because he wasn't the starter?? 

I love how things turned out for Jalen and it felt like the football gods smiled on him for his loyalty and willingness to hang in there and never lose faith. It was cool to see but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with leaving. Heck, Jalen himself may still leave after this season and look how it worked out for Mayfield and Kyler and even Stidham, who had a rough year but should get drafted pretty high this year. Closer to home, how about Trevor? Or perhaps Starkel (remains to be seen). It's all about not leaving your teammates hung out to dry, in my opinion, and that's what makes Jalen Hurts' story so special.

Quote:

Biggest thing we can exploit vs NCST? 

Would certainly appear to be their secondary. It's actually statistically worse than A&M's and, as Olin pointed out, the Wolfpack has faced four backup QBs in 11 games against FCS competition this fall. Heck, even longtime Aggie commit Cade Fortin of North Carolina almost went for 300 and FSU's backup (Blackmon) went for nearly 400.

Quote:

What can be done to turn around LB recruiting? This has been a problem area for years with a few exceptions. Especially the inside guys. 

Few exceptions is a good way to put it. Some nice wins over the past few years with Alaka (a flip from Texas), Dodson and Hines (a five-star) but not near enough. What really hurts is how bad things are in state these past few years. This year, the Ags went hunting for the best of the best at the position and came up just short for Harris (literally beat out LSU for a Baton Rouge 'backer only to see Bama come calling and bringing all they had to get him) and look like they could finish just behind Georgia for Nakobe Dean. It's tough sledding, but the Ags will sign Andre White (I REALLY like this dude), RJ Orebo (so much raw potential at OLB) and Tarian Lee (tough Florida kid who I think we'll look back on and be pretty happy with) and could end up adding one more. That said, there's no question that signing a couple of very highly-regarded guys in 2020 feels like a must. I think just sticking to it is the key to turning things around. The Ags are recruiting incredibly well at just about every position and spots like LB will come around quickly with a coach like Elko leading the way. Just keep improving on defense and keep winning games and it'll turn.

Quote:

What is the biggest knock that other programs are using against us in recruiting? 

Not much to knock right now, to be honest with you. The Big 12 teams are just trying to use the SEC record to say "Yeah, you'll be in the SEC but you won't play for championships." That's pretty weak stuff and nothing that's hurting the Ags' efforts, however. In conference, Bama is just doing what they do to everyone and that's flashing rings and playoff appearances, etc. It's tough to beat when they really set their sights on a prospect but I do think the Ags have done a very good job of winning those battles when it comes to Texas talent, Scooby Carter and his contingent notwithstanding.

Quote:

Biggest headline for A&M before signing day?

A rally in the defensive backfield and a pure pass rusher to cap off a stellar early Signing Day haul.

Quote:

Which of the big three men's sports will be the next to win an SEC title?

I'm actually going to say football. I'm going with 2020. Regardless of how hard people in the media - I can already see it coming from one entity - will try to ratchet up 'expectations that come with a $75 million coach' next season, I've said all along that year three is the breakthrough for Fisher and the Aggies and I think they'll break through to win an SEC title with senior QB Kellen Mond leading the way.

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES

Quote:

Chili: beans or no beans? 

Beans. No brainer.

Quote:

Favorite cheesy Christmas sweater?

Good question. I need to do some research and order one soon.

Quote:

What is the most memorable sporting event you have ever been to?

Honestly, it may very well be A&M over LSU in 7 OTs. Others on the short list include A&M over Nebraska in '98, the Bonfire Game in '99, being in NYC when Johnny brought the Heisman home to Aggieland six years ago, A&M over Bama in Tuscaloosa (that's a strong contender for #1), the Pats' comeback win over Atlanta in the Super Bowl, Astros over the Dodgers in Game 5 (in contention), A&M over Louisville at Rupp Arena to see the Ags advance to their first Sweet Sixteen in ages and the Aggie comeback over UNI in Oklahoma City.

Quote:

How much would we have to pay Morgan Freeman to do the next "there's a spirit" video? 

Seriously. Look, I'm not in the business of criticizing hard-working folks (I swear I'm not) but there are things I'd change about the gameday experience and that intro video is one of them. Wasn't my favorite part of the pre-game build-up, that's for sure.

Quote:

Billy, can you tell us a good bull story from when you were at Texas A&M back in the 1990's as an ID Major?

Hmmm...I'd have to put some thought into that one. One that you guys would get a kick out of is the older guys at Bonfire cut, the first time we went, showing me how to swing an axe properly and purposely teaching it to me wrong. I looked like damn Tom Herman swinging a sledgehammer out there, but it was pretty hilarious to the rest of the McKinnis Madmen. You guys would've loved that one. Bonfire in '99 was a pretty surreal day and having Randy McCown and a few of the guys pull up to our house and say "let's go" and all of us piling into the truck and riding out to help was a day I'll never forget. Beyond that, there are some pretty hilarious stories, a few wild ones and a whole lot of friends that I still stay in touch with to this day. Ask me one a week during this segment and I'll tell you guys some of the funnier moments that are suitable for print.

Here's an ID one for you: I was a Chem E major and sometime around the start of year three, I just started signing up for business classes and began taking them without changing my major. My advisor - we'll call her 'Heather' and her husband is probably reading this, showing it to her and they're currently laughing about it - calls me in and asks what in the world I'm doing. I say, "I'm going to change to business" and she explains to me that it doesn't work that way. We figure out that I'll only lose about six hours if I just stay in the engineering school and change to ID. I went to ID, graduated and decided to become...a journalist??? Yeah, I know some of the high-and-mighty types in this profession don't consider me a journalist in the truest sense of the word but those who don't? Well, I think we all know they're just jealous I'm getting more out of this little gig with my Industrial Distribution degree than they are, right? 

Quote:

Since we are headed to Jacksonville, what's your favorite lynyrd skynryd song? 

Gotta be Tuesday's Gone. Not sure if it's because of Happy Gilmore, Dazed and Confused or just because I love the start of that song but it's definitely my favorite.

And a very Happy Birthday to Dalton, Olin and Gabe! Hope all three of you tried to stop working long enough to enjoy your day!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sorry, what has Austin done to get this storyline out there? I haven't seen shit but one guy's tweet. No media outlet has run with this shit at all. I've seen it at 2 spots, and they're not exactly big time sports/media outlets. 

Hey man, get your fucking quotes right. 

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

One that you guys would get a kick out of is the older guys at Bonfire cut, the first time we went, showing me how to swing an axe properly and purposely teaching it to me wrong. I looked like damn Tom Herman swinging a sledgehammer out there, but it was pretty hilarious to the rest of the McKinnis Madmen. You guys would've loved that one. Bonfire in '99 was a pretty surreal day and having Randy McCown and a few of the guys pull up to our house and say "let's go" and all of us piling into the truck and riding out to help was a day I'll never forget.

This is just about the most fucked up thing I have ever read. His best memories of college were (1) when he went to go work on bonfire and they purposefully and hilariously taught him the incorrect way to use a potentially dangerous piece of equipment and (2) when 12 kids died because they were improperly trained and had next to zero supervision, but he got to jock sniff Randy McCown. It's all good though, because he got to laugh at Tom Herman.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This is just about the most fucked up thing I have ever read. His best memories of college were (1) when he went to go work on bonfire and they purposefully and hilariously taught him the incorrect way to use a potentially dangerous piece of equipment and (2) when 12 kids died because they were improperly trained and had next to zero supervision, but he got to jock sniff Randy McCown. It's all good though, because he got to laugh at Tom Herman.

aggy is very proud of killing those 12 kids. What were the chances of it being 12? It was like a sign from God. 

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1