Future of the Olympics

MaybeACoordinator

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

4- tell me when the bobsled and luge events are going to be broadcast, live, in their entirety, and give me the opportunity to watch every run

pay like $5 for peacock and you can watch every single event, live. it's great - plus i can cancel after 30 days and be happy

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I watched some of the Olympics last night and thought I had my fill, but 30 minutes later I wanted to watch some more.

I'm in till the figure skaters come out, just can't get into it, and I know how fucking hard, and dangerous that shit is.  

Gimme a downhill, slalom run, Bobsled run  or even mixed curling, and I'm there.  I have a need for speed.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

15 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Oh I forgot why else the Winter Olympics suck.  Way too many clothes on the ladies.  

Give me my woman’s beach volleyball and water polo and I’m set.

Women's long jump, triple jump, high jump and pole vault is where it's at.  There's an entire YouTube genre dedicated to these hotties.

Men of culture indeed.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

I watched some of the Olympics last night and thought I had my fill, but 30 minutes later I wanted to watch some more.

Yeah, went to a bar with a Canadian friend to watch some of it. We got into the downhill, etc. Watched a bit more when I got home. Shit made me want to drink more beer and play curling. 

The ski jump with the cooling towers in the background looks like shit. 

The media has written puff pieces about how the former steel mill has been decommissioned and turned into a "flourishing area for artists". Still looks terrible, and the art scene in China consists of what, murals of Mao? 

Also looks like shit : 

- The half pipe looks they built it on a hill and covered the ground with artificial snow. It's by no means an alpine setting. 

- The luge course looks like it was built inside of a warehouse. 

And as expected the Chinese have received home cooking on nearly every close call. 

The IOC is about as competent as the NCAA, so I don't expect much to change. If I had my druthers, every Winter Olympics would be in the Norway/Sweden/ Alps/US Rockies/Canadian Rockies. People need to see dramatic mountain scenery in the background for it to feel like the Winter Olympics. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Didn't they send Tirico home for being pretty critical of the Chinese govt?  I know he was set to come home mid-week for Superb Owl duties, but seems he may have been "given an early flight" 

i've seen a bunch of people ask this - he left earlier than expected by like 2 days and is hosting from the States before going back?

He is expected to fly from China to the NBC Sports headquarters based in Stamford, Connecticut, to host the Olympic coverage for Wednesday and Thursday shows. He will then head to Los Angeles on Friday to anchor the broadcasts for the Olympics and through Sunday’s Super Bowl. Tirico will then head back to Stamford for the final week of Olympic coverage. The Games end Feb. 20.

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- The half pipe looks they built it on a hill and covered the ground with artificial snow. It's by no means an alpine setting.

///

The IOC is about as competent as the NCAA, so I don't expect much to change. If I had my druthers, every Winter Olympics would be in the Norway/Sweden/ Alps/US Rockies/Canadian Rockies. People need to see dramatic mountain scenery in the background for it to feel like the Winter Olympics. 

i THINK all the snow/ice at this olympics is man made.

they just need to have a rotating setup for the winter olympics for sure. rotate between say 5-7 locations and have an opportunity for a new location to rotate in every say 3 rounds?

summer olympics is easier to have wherever

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

i've seen a bunch of people ask this - he left earlier than expected by like 2 days and is hosting from the States before going back?

Fair enough.  I haven't seen all the other stuff as I haven't really been watching.  But wouldn't surprise me at all either to see someone get punished for being overly critical of the Chinese Govt.  Don't want to upset the apple cart.  Can't have that.  

1 minute ago, NoName said:

they just need to have a rotating setup for the winter olympics for sure. rotate between say 5-7 locations and have an opportunity for a new location to rotate in every say 3 rounds?

This.  The wife and I were just  having this conversation over the weekend.  There are maybe a half dozen solid locations for the winter games that should just rotate.  For the summer games....maybe bump it up to a dozen.  But this shit where nobody even wants to bid for games should tell the IOC something.  Of course, that something is "we have to find different ways to grift."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

I'd love to see that. The Alps is in the following countries : Italy, Austria, France, Germany, and Switzerland. These are very modern, wealthy countries who have all hosted the Winter Games before. There are some smaller countries in the Alps, but they would be too small/not wealthy enough to host the Olympics. 

I think the problem with the Olympics is the building race the games create. If a host country doesn't have the existing facilities or infrastructure to host The Games, they shouldn't be considered. 

There’s writing in the wall that the OG will have to either a single permanent site or a couple due to most hosts being really hesitant to lose billions without government support.

For the summer games, Paris would be the most likely candidate for a single site since it has all the venues already and they are utilized and maintained to a high standard. The IOC’s ideal permanent site solution would be a rotation between Paris, LA, and Beijing so it hits the three main continents.

No idea what sites are talked about for the winter OG.

2 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fair enough.  I haven't seen all the other stuff as I haven't really been watching.  But wouldn't surprise me at all either to see someone get punished for being overly critical of the Chinese Govt.  Don't want to upset the apple cart.  Can't have that.  

i just don't get it. everything and anything Trico is going to say is absolutely reviewed and vetted by NBC and therefore Comcast.

Comcast said that the Chinese market is worth more than $1 billion to their Universal arm way back in 07. the concern going into the Olympics was that it would be slanted towards China's direction, not against China?

12 minutes ago, NoName said:

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  The wife and I were just  having this conversation over the weekend.  There are maybe a half dozen solid locations for the winter games that should just rotate.  For the summer games....maybe bump it up to a dozen.  But this shit where nobody even wants to bid for games should tell the IOC something.  Of course, that something is "we have to find different ways to grift."

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Rotate the winter games between USA, Canada, Western Europe, Japan, and South Korea. 

4 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There’s writing in the wall that the OG will have to either a single permanent site or a couple due to most hosts being really hesitant to lose billions without government support.

For the summer games, Paris would be the most likely candidate for a single site since it has all the venues already and they are utilized and maintained to a high standard. The IOC’s ideal permanent site solution would be a rotation between Paris, LA, and Beijing so it hits the three main continents.

HOWEVER, if Texas is ever in play to host the summer games, I sure as shit have a vision.

The torch lighting will light this Olympic cauldron (actually, a really giant version of this):

24DD+Ranger+Trailer3.jpg?format=1500w

And it will be a fully functioning sonofabitch.  Once it gets up to temp, the Texas Olympic Committee will be rotating a constant set of briskets through it, to feed the spectators (yeah, they'll pay extra for a genuine brisket wrap smoked by the olympic flame).

I have other ideas, but that's the central piece.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

For the summer games, Paris would be the most likely candidate for a single site since it has all the venues already and they are utilized and maintained to a high standard. The IOC’s ideal permanent site solution would be a rotation between Paris, LA, and Beijing Sydney.

FIFY - LA and Sydney could host a summer games tomorrow if needed. There was even talk of moving the Rio games to one of those sites when it was clear the Brazilians might not be ready in time. 

11 minutes ago, NoName said:

i just don't get it. everything and anything Trico is going to say is absolutely reviewed and vetted by NBC and therefore Comcast.

Comcast said that the Chinese market is worth more than $1 billion to their Universal arm way back in 07. the concern going into the Olympics was that it would be slanted towards China's direction, not against China?

There’s no question that coverage is definitely slanted in China’s direction.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Beijing revenue > Sydney revenue and that's all that matters. 

Not sure they have much leverage anymore - they literally had to bribe LA to host the games: https://olympics.com/ioc/news/los-angeles-declares-candidature-for-olympic-games-2028-ioc-to-contribute-usd-1-8-billion-to-the-local-organising-committee

21 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I watched the US Women's Luge Team last night, and it looked about like this. They celebrated finishing runs that didn't even qualify. They were just happy not to fall off. 

No shit. Lady finished 28th and was crying tears of joy. We shouldn’t send a team if they’re not going to be remotely competitive.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, bolverk said:

I can't say for certain, but I think this is the area that the 'Big Air" event is happening. Looks, truly, like an industrial hellscape. I like that "toilet" and "ecological park" are pinned locations.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9194652,116.1396538,1173m/data=!3m1!1e3

How majestic

53912575-10488411-image-m-19_16443107756

Big-Air-Shougang-AP-020722.jpg?strip=1

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The media has written puff pieces about how the former steel mill has been decommissioned and turned into a "flourishing area for artists".

What do we need to do to get some Thujone artwork up there?

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

I can't say for certain, but I think this is the area that the 'Big Air" event is happening. Looks, truly, like an industrial hellscape. I like that "toilet" and "ecological park" are pinned locations.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9194652,116.1396538,1173m/data=!3m1!1e3

Wait, the iToilet?  They stole that from Costanza!

5 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I would love to see the IOC straight up purchase/lease a Greek island and create the ultimate Olympic venue site.  Host the Summer games there in perpetuity.  It could be used for other sport/special events but it would eliminate the host cities from spending billions on venues that are left to rot after the games are over.

Alps and Rockies for winter games.

• Hook 'Em 1

The wife and I are die-hard Olympic people(she's coached track and was All-Conference in college, and we donate to the USOC team fund) and we've struggled to enjoy it. Hopefully once we get to women's bobsled it will help because she knows one of the sled drivers whose married to one of her college teammates. But between the empty venues, and NBC's shitty shitty coverage it's sucked so far. It's seems to me the only athlete they like is the Chinese-American freestyle skiier, and then they just try to create pointless drama and pressure around the rest. I hope Shiffrin wins a medal in the remaining evens and slowly skies by the announcers and/or cameras with both middle fingers extended. 

13 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I would love to see the IOC straight up purchase/lease a Greek island and create the ultimate Olympic venue site.  Host the Summer games there in perpetuity.  It could be used for other sport/special events but it would eliminate the host cities from spending billions on venues that are left to rot after the games are over.

Alps and Rockies for winter games.

Like the idea of a Greek isle hosting in perpetuity, and a revolving winter location (Alps, Rockies, and Andes).

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

And right on cue, Russians are in trouble for failed drug test again and may lose a gold medal.

There's a lotta dopers.  Lotta dopers.  What, you think our team is so innocent?  

40 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Like the idea of a Greek isle hosting in perpetuity, and a revolving winter location (Alps, Rockies, and Andes).

Andes? Live from La Paz..... Yeah, that would be a shit show. Maybe a regional game with Argentina and Chile co-hosting, but um, they don't have shit for venues. 

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Would I enjoy a bobsled run that started at the top of K-2 and ended at the bottom, hitting top speeds of 11 billion MPH?  Fuck yeah I would.

Well, K2 has been descended on skis once. (There is more video footage around somewhere but this link has a little taste). Unfortunately you can't get up to 11 gmph cuz then you could not control yourself going over the edge of a cliff.

Ski descent of K2

3 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Well, K2 has been descended on skis once. (There is more video footage around somewhere but this link has a little taste). Unfortunately you can't get up to 11 gmph cuz then you could not control yourself going over the edge of a cliff.

Ski descent of K2

Dude has bigger balls than an aggy bragging about their Natty's.