To__ Orlan_o - _efensive Coor_inator

Machinator

"Victoria est agnus" means "Victory is a lamb" (or vice-versa). Not sure what that signifies.

"Evacatorem" needs to be "Evacator" to match "Optimus" (for "the best recruiter").

Likewise, "Ingrata" should be "Ingrato" to match "Ingenio" (for ?ungrateful/difficult genius).

Next time, run this by the Bone Wizard.

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

"Victoria est agnus" means "Victory is a lamb" (or vice-versa). Not sure what that signifies.

"Evacatorem" needs to be "Evacator" to match "Optimus" (for "the best recruiter").

Likewise, "Ingrata" should be "Ingrato" to match "Ingenio" (for ?ungrateful/difficult genius).

Next time, run this by the Bone Wizard.

google translate says:

winning is hard = victoria est agnus

48 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

google translate says:

winning is hard = victoria est agnus

Google translate isn’t infallible. “Agnus” traditionally refers to the lamb of God (Agnus Dei). Metaphorically, “Victoria est Agnus” actually means “Jesus is Victory”. You should use “difficilis” or “ardua”/no heathen 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Just so I'm clear, are you suggesting 4 against 11 is not a good defensive scheme?

Give him the benefit of the doubt and say the 3 linebackers will hit the line right before the snap.  So 7 vs 11.  It's so genius, the Kansas OC will never see it coming.

Wtf?  I never felt sorry for coaches and players before..picture the 30 something year old asst. who has to coach under this scheme.  He’s already suggested a different approach....now his family, even the wife can see his 80 hours a week is leading straight to unemployment line....and the players....their peers at other schools are given a chance....

where is Austin media?  Hold arrogant  Tom accountable.   Show this to him....

You can’t spell arrogant without t o

1 hour ago, Todd Gack said:

Give him the benefit of the doubt and say the 3 linebackers will hit the line right before the snap.  So 7 vs 11.  It's so genius, the Kansas OC will never see it coming.

Good point, Orlando probably wanted to make them think the LBs would drop into coverage.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone biggums said:

Put Ossai on the edge. Blitz a linebacker up the middle every now and then. Run a few stunts to change it up.

Stop blitzing fucking safeties 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Play simple coverage.

Simple changes would improve the defense but Orlando is moron. He needs to go. Fuck

This.  Our secondary is warmed over kitten crap because of all the already mentioned factors - and guess what?  Know what helps a struggling secondary?  A fucking pass rush.  Which we have a complete lack of.  Control the edges and get a little decent penetration and pressure the QB.  

I'm no defensive wizard, but apparently our $1.7M defensive coordinator isn't either.  I can't for the life of me understand why he is married to this 3 DL tite formation with DBs and LBs playing wait for the snap 5D chess.  It would seem that a simple 4 DL with Ossai as one of them backed by a man under Tampa 2 type scheme would work with our athletes as a base defense.  Sure throw some exotic things in here and there as a change up and to keep the QB guessing, but our base D shouldn't need to be exotic.  We can out athlete a good portion of the conference, and damn sure should be able to out athlete Kansas.

• Like 2

I'm no defensive wizard, but apparently our $1.7M defensive coordinator isn't either.  I can't for the life of me understand why he is married to this 3 DL tite formation with DBs and LBs playing wait for the snap 5D chess.  It would seem that a simple 4 DL with Ossai as one of them backed by a man under Tampa 2 type scheme would work with our athletes as a base defense.  Sure throw some exotic things in here and there as a change up and to keep the QB guessing, but our base D shouldn't need to be exotic.  We can out athlete a good portion of the conference, and damn sure should be able to out athlete Kansas.

But we would get absolutely shredded by spread offenses!!!

Oh wait, that’s already happened.

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

To be fair we were missing six starters, if we had all our starters I'm sure it would have worked perfectly.

To be fairer, injuries are to be expected in football. Part of that $1.7 million is to plan for those contingencies, he should get on it ASAP. 

According to Jeff Howe on radio, Kansas knew what Texas was doing on defense pre-snap for almost every play.  That's why Kansas QB was getting ball out so quickly....

Horrible Defense... structurally unsound with no disception.  Looks like all the Texas DL is being asked to do is just catch blocks.

JUST BULLSHIT...

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

According to Jeff Howe on radio, Kansas knew what Texas was doing on defense pre-snap for almost every play.  That's why Kansas QB was getting ball out so quickly....

Horrible Defense... structurally unsound with no disception.  Looks like all the Texas DL is being asked to do is just catch blocks.

JUST BULLSHIT...

That mirrors what Arkansas defensive coaches/players said about our offense in the 2014 Texas Bowl. TO is Herman’s Watson.

2 hours ago, Tyrone biggums said:

Put Ossai on the edge. Blitz a linebacker up the middle every now and then. Run a few stunts to change it up.

Stop blitzing fucking safeties 10 yards off the line of scrimmage. Play simple coverage.

Simple changes would improve the defense but Orlando is moron. He needs to go. Fuck

We are cursed with defensive coordinators who think they need to out-think the offense. 

One of the first plays that Malcolm Roach was in the game after his 1st-half suspension was a 3rd and long. Pass play incoming 90% of the time, which was the case this time. He was lined up on the offense’s right side on the short side of the field. Obvious play is to let our best defensive lineman, who has completely fresh legs, try to get some pressure on the QB right? Nope. We ran a zone blitz with the boundary corner and Roach DROPPED INTO ZONE COVERAGE 10 yards down the field. To no one’s surprise, the KU receiver ran a 15 yard out and caught the pass with no one anywhere close to him.

What the fuck is this shit?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

That mirrors what Arkansas defensive coaches/players said about our offense in the 2014 Texas Bowl. TO is Herman’s Watson.

It's not quite that egregious, because Watson never ever fielded an offense worth a shit here. TO at least came in and had a real solid first season. Nobody wanted to see him go after year one, and people were worried about him getting poached for a HC job. Barring some drastic turnaround down the stretch I think TO probably needs to go but I'm still scratching my head wondering what happened to that guy from year one. If he can get out of his own way and rediscover whatever it was he was doing right back then, maybe he could pull it out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

It's not quite that egregious, because Watson never ever fielded an offense worth a shit here. TO at least came in and had a real solid first season. Nobody wanted to see him go after year one, and people were worried about him getting poached for a HC job. Barring some drastic turnaround down the stretch I think TO probably needs to go but I'm still scratching my head wondering what happened to that guy from year one. If he can get out of his own way and rediscover whatever it was he was doing right back then, maybe he could pull it out.

My guess is that he initially installed a simplified version of his scheme to let the players transition. This allowed the them to rely on their instincts and athleticism and play loose. Results were good. Now that he’s been here for a few years and had time to install everything, the complexity and stupidity is on full display.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vtaenz said:
17 hours ago, bschoolprof said:
Cross-posting this from another thread because it's pure Orlando.  $1.7 million folks.  
3dvkpd.jpg

Well? Did we stop them?

KU just put their tip thru the line, penetrated “ just a little”, Just enough to get the sensation of a first down. Just the tip....

1 hour ago, Auto Driller said:

My guess is that he initially installed a simplified version of his scheme to let the players transition. This allowed the them to rely on their instincts and athleticism and play loose. Results were good. Now that he’s been here for a few years and had time to install everything, the complexity and stupidity is on full display.

It's without a doubt the opposite.  On normal downs, we used to have 3 base packages that could be run from 3 personnel groupings.

Now it's down to one (somewhat flexible) package and one personnel group (mostly due to injury).

It's even worse when you consider passing downs.  He used to have a cowboy, ameoba, and buck package.  We lost the personnel for Cowboy (literally - they got injured).  We just now saw Buck this past week (but without any exotics).  I'm guessing Ameoba is too much for the youth on the team.

I don't understand how we are bad as we are. Defense is supposed to be about trade-offs, yet we seem to fail no matter what. Typically, you bring extra rushers with the goal of getting to the quarterback before he can find an open receiver. You're betting your secondary can hold up longer than their protection. Or you drop extra guys into coverage hoping you can prevent a completion and/or get a turnover. In either case, you want to force them into a bad play or at least a sub-optimal play (e.g. a short completion on third and long). But that's not how it works for us. Even when we have the "right" play call we fail - the two point conversion for example. Dropping 8 guys into coverage from the two yard line should make it tough to complete the pass, but leave you susceptible to a QB run. You know - a trade-off. But we triple teamed one guy and left another wide open. It led to an easy completion AND I'm sure the QB could have run it in if he'd wanted to. We don't force the offense to make choices.

10 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It's without a doubt the opposite.  On normal downs, we used to have 3 base packages that could be run from 3 personnel groupings.

Now it's down to one (somewhat flexible) package and one personnel group (mostly due to injury).

It's even worse when you consider passing downs.  He used to have a cowboy, ameoba, and buck package.  We lost the personnel for Cowboy (literally - they got injured).  We just now saw Buck this past week (but without any exotics).  I'm guessing Ameoba is too much for the youth on the team.

Are you just making up words at this point?

19 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I was promised that Todd Orlando could make chicken salad from "lesser parts," so...

Also, I think a big issue has been the required cross-training at safety.  As an example, BJ Foster has spent time at every safety position so far this year, even despite missing multiple games because of injury.  He started at Nickel (a new safety position he had to learn after last year at Joker).  Then moved over to Joker when Overshown got hurt.  He moved to FS after Sterns went down, and he was at BS in Jones' place after he went out against KU.  It's no surprise Foster looks completely lost on the field.

JUST BULLSHIT...

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2019/10/20/20923836/i-noted-football-idiot-can-spot-todd-orlandos-blitzes-its-not-hard

Tl;dr: Barking Carnival basketball analyst predicts 89 percent of Orlando's blitzes vs Kansas pre snap, 38 percent correct in predicting the specific blitz call.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I was promised that Todd Orlando could make chicken salad from "lesser parts," so...

Yeah, I don't know what to think.  The Oklahoma game I thought was okay especially considering the opponent and injuries.  I'd say our defense was blase up to that point, but not bad - just good enough to not put tremendous pressure on our offense.  Hell, I thought the defense was doing well for the low expectations I had going into the season.

But vs Kansas we looked highly regarded, that was some really bad football.  And I haven't even rewatched to see how bad it truly was.