College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

19 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

Russ Springmann is the new coach at Oral Roberts. It's been a winding journey for that guy. He's very straight laced and religious, so Oral Roberts is a good fit for him in that regard. He was my favorite assistant at Texas. We don't get Durant without Springmann on staff. He was the first person to offer Durant a college scholarship and he stayed on him for the next four years. Durant doesn't even visit Texas without Springmann. I hope he has great success.

https://ktul.com/news/local/oral-roberts-announces-russell-springmann-as-new-mens-basketball-head-coach

any word on if he's keeping paulino on staff?

• 11 months later...
  • Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

There's been a lot of chatter about Buzz to Oklahoma State. 

Seems like a weird decision but Buzz is a weird dude. Leaving Marquette for Virginia Tech didn't make much sense. Then after building V-Tech to leave for aggy didn't make much sense. He just seems like an odd ball when it comes to these things.

I'm also not sure how secure his job is at aggy and they could potentially lose a lot next season. 

That's a pretty meh hire for a place like Louisville. The OSU boards are melting down because we haven't made a hire yet, I can't imagine what UL fans are thinking with that one since they thought they were gonna get a major hire from the upper ranks of head coaches.

6 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's a pretty meh hire for a place like Louisville. The OSU boards are melting down because we haven't made a hire yet, I can't imagine what UL fans are thinking with that one since they thought they were gonna get a major hire from the upper ranks of head coaches.

Louisville fans: 

"That's Our New Coach"  😋

image.png.20bc80c792fb1a04d5920a0de2f5bce4.png

On 3/27/2024 at 8:25 AM, Pancho said:

Huggy during this interview:

GIF by Tomi Ferraro, Sportz

He would have Louisville competing on a national level so quickly. It's a shame that he isn't ten years younger and won't get the chance to wash the stink off Ala Pitino. From what I've heard from the people I know in Morgantown he has been sober since going to treatment last summer and dropped a ton of weight. 

I'd file that under "solid but not flashy".

It probably won't get the immediate splash that hiring someone like Alford would, but I think it would probably work out better in the long run.  The guy has taken some pretty out of the way places into the Dance.

Prior to his last three HC appearances in the big dance, he was a four year assistant at Purdue under Matt Painter (and played a big role in recruiting Eddy apparently), and seven years before that under McDermott at Creighton. He's also from Texas and has lots of recruiting connections in the state which is important to OSU (and a positive when compared to Sprinkle and DeVries who many of our fans wanted as well). There's no "home run" hires available for our program, so if he's the guy, I'm happy. 

22 hours ago, 'stache said:

That's a pretty meh hire for a place like Louisville.

Agreed. I think they could have done better. This is a risky hire in my opinion.

Just for fun, here are Pat Kelsey's KenPom team stats compared to Rodney Terry's record prior to Texas:

• Pat Kelsey –  12-YR Career Avg: 153 –  Best 5 Teams:  71, 101, 101, 113, 140 – Tourney Wins: 0

• Rodney Terry – 10-YR Career Avg: 151 – Best 5 Teams: 79, 98, 108, 109, 116 – Tourney Wins: 0

Pretty similar. Kelsey has made more tourneys, but his teams weren't actually rated very well.  

34 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Prior to his last three HC appearances in the big dance, he was a four year assistant at Purdue under Matt Painter (and played a big role in recruiting Eddy apparently), and seven years before that under McDermott at Creighton. He's also from Texas and has lots of recruiting connections in the state which is important to OSU (and a positive when compared to Sprinkle and DeVries who many of our fans wanted as well). There's no "home run" hires available for our program, so if he's the guy, I'm happy. 

Yeah, having recruiting connections in both Texas and the Midwest makes him a really, really good fit in Stillwater.

20 hours ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Fuck Cal.  I’d rather have RT as our coach the next 40 years than that fuck coach at Texas.   Some dumbasses around here wanted him post Beard too. 

I would not root for Texas if they hired Calipari. I might actively root against us. It would be as if the football program hired Barry Switzer. 

• Hook 'Em 2