Check the tower logs, for Christ sake!

South Austin

I always loved this quick back-and-forth:

Jessup:
Transfer Santiago? Yes I'm sure you're right. I'm sure that's the thing to do. Wait, I've got a better idea. Lets transfer the whole squad off the base. On second thought- lets transfer the whole Windward Division off the base. John, tell those boys to get down off the fence. They're packing their bags. Tom?

Tom:
Sir?

Jessup:
Get me the President on the phone. We're surrendering our position in Cuba.

Tom:
Yes, sir.

Jessup:
Wait a minute, Tom. Don't get the President yet. Maybe we should consider this for a second. Dismissed, Tom.

Tom:
Yes, sir.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My answer is I don't have the first damn clue. Maybe he was an early riser and liked to pack in the morning. And maybe he didn't have any friends. I'm an educated man, but I'm afraid I can't speak intelligently about the travel habits of William Santiago. What I do know is that he was set to leave the base at 0600. Now, are these really the questions I was called here to answer? Phone calls and foot lockers? Please tell me that you have something more, Lieutenant. These two Marines are on trial for their lives. Please tell me their lawyer hasn't pinned their hopes to a phone bill.

I watched this with my 12 year old over the summer while on vacation and he loved it.  I think it's the first time he realized a "drama" with little action could be so gripping.

Anyway, this is probably common knowledge, but Sorkin based this on a case his sister was involved with in the JAG Corps.

Also, one of the real marines that stood trial was mysteriously murdered later in life and it's still a cold case.  

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

I always loved this quick back-and-forth:

Jessup:
Transfer Santiago? Yes I'm sure you're right. I'm sure that's the thing to do. Wait, I've got a better idea. Lets transfer the whole squad off the base. On second thought- lets transfer the whole Windward Division off the base. John, tell those boys to get down off the fence. They're packing their bags. Tom?

Tom:
Sir?

Jessup:
Get me the President on the phone. We're surrendering our position in Cuba.

Tom:
Yes, sir.

Jessup:
Wait a minute, Tom. Don't get the President yet. Maybe we should consider this for a second. Dismissed, Tom.

Tom:
Yes, sir.

What can be deduced from this exchange is that Tom is a damn fine soldier with Joint Chiefs of Staff written all over him.

Edited by aggie08
  • Haha 1

Most underappreciated Jack Nicholson line in this movie:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg?"

The way he says "Weinburg" tells you everything you need to know

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

"Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinburg?"

The look on Weinburg’s face afterwards is priceless too. Like “Me? What the fuck did I do? I was just sitting here.”

Edited by Frank The Tank
Typo

1 hour ago, BHMCruiser said:

With the way he talked around Galloway in Cuba I’m surprised Sorkin didn’t have Jessup say something more like, “You, Weinberg, you Jew?”

2 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

I came here to post this. Weinburg doesn't say a peep to Jessup the entire movie but he gets called out by name in testimony. 

eeehhhhh! I'm sorry, your time's run out! What do we have for the losers, judge? Well, for our defendants, it's a life time at exotic Fort Leavenworth! And, for defense counsel Kaffee, that's right, it's a court martial! Yes, Johnny! After falsely accusing a highly decorated Marine officer of conspiracy and perjury, Lieutenant Kaffee will have a long and prosperous career teaching... typewriter maintenance at the Rocco Globbo School for Women! Thank you for playing "Should we or should we not follow the advice of the galactically stupid

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:00 AM, Augustus said:

Oh, is THAT how it works?  "Objection, your honor."  "Overruled."  "Oh no, you're honor, I strenuously object."

I’m retiring at 50 from courtroom shit.  I’ve got 5 years left.   I’m going to drop a strenuously object at a hearing in the next 5 years when I know I can get away with it without hurting my client.  I’ve been waiting to drop that line.  I hope the judge overrules me with a simple “is that how it’s done?”

• Hook 'Em 2