Well, bye, Jon Gruden

Deej

Sucks for him in todays times. I’m sure I have said derogatory things 15 years ago in passing and yet today I have kids of all races spend the night a few Weekends a month. And I am sure their parents in the last 15 years have said that about white kids as well. Yet here we are. The kids all love each other and have fun together.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Sucks for him in todays times. I’m sure I have said derogatory things 15 years ago in passing and yet today I have kids of all races spend the night a few Weekends a month. And I am sure their parents in the last 15 years have said that about white kids as well. Yet here we are. The kids all love each other and have fun together.

That’s not the same though. He was saying these thing 3 years ago on his work email. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Urban Meyer is going to pull an all nighter trying to craft an email racist enough to get fired but not too racist to turn off USC.

"Fucking Mexicans (not the ones that live in California though 😉) trashing up the country"

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

What Gruden did is unprofessional and insulting. Meanwhile, Chappelle is a comedian. His fucking job is to make fun of shit. And when shit gets real, you can tell how serious he is when he’s addressing an issue. Drives me nuts these fuckers going after comedians. Their job is to make uncomfortable shit funny. Ok whatever. 

Watching Gruden crash and burn is awesome. He’s so fucking annoying and is not the savior coach many have claimed 

Did you ever consider Gruden was trying to be funny? What about any regular Joe cracking jokes? We draw the line on comedians?

I don’t care what people say. People are more accepting now. Wasn’t that the goal? 

• Fuck You 2

23 minutes ago, RPM said:

Honestly, I'm shocked. I was sure he would ride this out and I know Davis gives zero fucks about it.

He probably would have survived if the first comment was a one-off. But venting about the league trying to get "queers" into the league?...that's well deserving of an automatic rail-roading.

On a related note, to paraphrase Bill Burr, what did people think that he thought? An old school coach who lives, sleeps, and eats football is a homophobe? No wai.

Pretty sure Jon was emailing his brother who was the HC of the WFT for a bit. Posters keep saying “whomever” he was emailing. Doubt his brother would turn his ass in. I still think it’s bizarre that they were uncovered during an investigation of the WFT which goes back pretty far and the NFL is not being transparent about what they are investigating/and why. Won’t say shit. 

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty sure Jon was emailing his brother who was the HC of the WFT for a bit. Posters keep saying “whomever” he was emailing. Doubt his brother would turn his ass in. I still think it’s bizarre that they were uncovered during an investigation of the WFT which goes back pretty far and the NFL is not being transparent about what they are investigating/and why. Won’t say shit. 

Goodell will get his retribution. He always does. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If thinking Goodell is a faggot is a fireable offense, half of the country is about to be unemployed. 

I’m sure Goodell has already listened and approved to upcoming super bowl halftime show artist Eminem’s lyrics from 20 years ago. They’d make whatever Gruden wrote seem like a letter home from girl scout camp
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

From the NYT article:

Gruden's messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during "Monday Night Football," the sports network's weekly prime-time telecast of N.F.L. games. In the emails, Gruden called the league's commissioner, Roger Goodell, a "f$ggot" and a "clueless anti football pssy" and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft "queers," a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

In numerous emails during a seven-year period ending in early 2018, Gruden criticized Goodell and the league for trying to reduce concussions and said that Eric Reid, a player who had demonstrated during the playing of the national anthem, should be fired. In several instances, Gruden used a homophobic slur to refer to Goodell and offensive language to describe some N.F.L. owners, coaches and journalists who cover the league.

But Gruden's behavior was not limited to 2011. Gruden exchanged emails with Allen and other men that included photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including one photo of two Washington team cheerleaders.

Gruden also criticized President Obama during his re-election campaign in 2012, as well as then-vice president Joe Biden, whom Gruden called a "nervous clueless p&ssy." He used similar words to describe Goodell and DeMaurice Smith, the executive director of the N.F.L. Players Association.

The league is already investigating Gruden as a result of another email he wrote to Allen in 2011 in which he used racist terms to describe Smith, who is Black.

In that email, Gruden, who is white and was working for ESPN at the time, criticized Smith's intelligence and used a racist trope to describe his face

WFT is basically running a human sex trafficking enterprise but if you call Goodell a f***** you will be taken down. (I do recognize that once the emails were revealed in their entirety Jon has to go—no question) It just seems like Goodell was pleased to let all that come out. The below article also explores whether Gruden may have sent emails which were critical of Mark Davis. (There’s no way Gruden never made fun of that guy behind his back. No way.)

The obvious takeaway from Monday’s stunning leak of homophobic/transphobic/sexists emails following Friday’s stunning leak of one single racist email is that the NFL wanted Gruden out, and that the leaks were going to continue until he resigned or was fired.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/11/league-likely-would-have-kept-leaking-emails-until-jon-gruden-was-out/

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Nicole44 said:

WFT is basically running a human sec trafficking enterprise but if you call Goodell a f***** you will be taken down. (I do recognize that once the emails were revealed in their entirety Jon has to go—no question) It just seems like Goodell was pleased to let all that come out. 

I agree. The emails are awful, and I can’t imagine Gruden thought typing those things out was a good idea. But Gruden is only being skewered because Goodell is a clueless pussy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m sure Goodell has already listened and approved to upcoming super bowl halftime show artist Eminem’s lyrics from 20 years ago. They’d make whatever Gruden wrote seem like a letter home from girl scout camp

I'm blaming you if the NFL sees its hypocrisy and responds with a decade of Coldplay and Maroon 5.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Just now, immamac said:

I laughed out loud really hard when I read this thread. Gruden is just gonna go cry himself to sleep on his tens of millions of dollars.

I don’t feel bad for him, I just think we’ve gotten carried away with this stuff. This should be between Gruden, his owner, and his players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Who will they hire? I mean the owner gave Gruden all the keys to that franchise, this was how much Mark loved him.

Of the 650,000 emails…just the ones Jon sent were released. Never mess with the commish. 

Jimbo 

• Haha 1

Just now, immamac said:

I laughed out loud really hard when I read this thread. Gruden is just gonna go cry himself to sleep on his tens of millions of dollars.

60 million!  I wonder how bad the other emails were that haven’t been released. Slow burn leak of them suggests it was gonna continue to happen until the Raiders or Jon made a decision to either fire him or he would step down. 

92720C63-9831-453A-B791-16DDC10F0493.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, cmontexas said:

Hopefully Surly doesn't stray into sex trafficking its cheerleaders like the Washington Redskins and we should be good

You act like it isn’t a possibility in shaggy/surly’s past. Hell, we had a pedophile throwing rocks onto cars off of overpasses for months. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Jimbo 

They could do us a favor and take Lincoln Riley off of our hands. But there are, I am sure, a ton of coaches that are interested. Joke that he is, Mark Davis doesn’t really meddle much. He seems content to just have his shitty haircut and let the staff take charge of operational stuff.

16 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I agree. The emails are awful, and I can’t imagine Gruden thought typing those things out was a good idea. But Gruden is only being skewered because Goodell is a clueless pussy. 

And for being a racist homophobe.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I don’t feel bad for him, I just think we’ve gotten carried away with this stuff. This should be between Gruden, his owner, and his players. 

It’s the relationship with the players (present and future) that made it impossible for him to stay.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

It’s the relationship with the players (present and future) that made it impossible for him to stay.

This, and also to people that say the players knew what Gruden was it changes the calculus once everything is public and the players have to answer questions from not only the media but their friends and family about it

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Cool deflection I'm not a shitbag see my kids have sleepovers with other races

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

Texags makes me sad:

Quote:
Gruden addressed the players in a Friday morning meeting, letting them know that an article was coming out in The Wall Street Journal reporting that he, then working for ESPN as the lead analyst on Monday Night Football, had emailed then-Washington Football Team president Bruce Allen and said NFL Players Association president DeMaurice Smith, who is Black, had "lips the size of michellin tires" in 2011. Gruden also made a vulgar comment about NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

This isn't racist. Some people have enormous lips. Many of those people are black. Pointing out someone's enormous lips, nose or whatever may be insensitive, but it is not racist. What, are we all supposed to pretend someone doesn't have enormous lips? To acknowledge it somehow makes you racist?

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3238190

• Haha 4

• Deej changed the title to Well, bye, Jon Gruden