Texas BBQ

Washpark

Went to Daddy Duncan's in Katy last Friday. Brisket was very solid. Not as good as Truth, but damn good. The beef cheek barbacoa was fine. Also tried the collard greens, which were very good. They have smoked oxtails and pork belly burnt ends on the menu. I'll give those a shot next time. Definitely worth a stop if you ever find yourself in Katy on a Friday or Saturday evening. 

Have been curious about that spot for awhile. Don’t they have fairly limited hours? I think that is what has stopped me from making it.

On 12/14/2021 at 10:31 AM, Seasick Sailor said:

Went to Daddy Duncan's in Katy last Friday. Brisket was very solid. Not as good as Truth, but damn good. The beef cheek barbacoa was fine. Also tried the collard greens, which were very good. They have smoked oxtails and pork belly burnt ends on the menu. I'll give those a shot next time. Definitely worth a stop if you ever find yourself in Katy on a Friday or Saturday evening. 

Smoked oxtails and smoked neck bones are badass when done properly.  

30 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They're so rich I can't eat much in one sitting, but it truly is the best single bite of BBQ I've ever had.

Yeah, I spread them out... ate some for lunch with some of those sweet Hawaiian roles... put a bit on a pizza I made... and just nibbled on the meat at other times.

On 12/13/2021 at 7:52 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Back in the day, Pato's Good Tacos on 38.5th street (east of I-35) had nopales tacos with a slight pickling.  They were delicious.

I lived around the corner for a year and they were shut down by the health department 2-3 times during that year.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Who would it be then?

I think it's John and Aaron, but if you want my honest no bullshit hot take opinion about the explosion of Texas BBQ, I feel like Shaggy/Surly had a pretty big role in making a name for those two and the ones that followed. Call me crazy but for a long long time I have sincerely believed that original Franklin thread on TOS and the ones it spawned seeded the collective conscious of all the locals and visitors who used to think Salt Lick was the best bbq EVAR. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

Just now, Gourmand said:

I think it's John and Aaron, but if you want my honest no bullshit hot take opinion about the explosion of Texas BBQ, I feel like Shaggy/Surly had a pretty big role in making a name for those two and the ones that followed. Call me crazy but for a long long time I have sincerely believed that original Franklin thread on TOS and the ones it spawned seeded the collective conscious of all the locals and visitors who used to think Salt Lick was the best bbq EVAR. 

you could be in line at the Franklin trailer and half that line was from shaggy 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

There is definitely something to this.  Hit the OG trailer spot on rec of the shag and it became regular rotation.  There were some really weird posts in that thread back on shag that brought into posters and eyes from different universes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

you could be in line at the Franklin trailer and half that line was from shaggy 

That is EXACTLY right. I think the reason that the line phenomenon exists with Franklin (and now by extension other spots as well) is because all the shaggy assholes who made it a contest to get there early enough for the ribs because those were always the first to sell  out. That line-ironically enough, for Aaron's pork ribs--is what started it all. 

• Like 1

While John was cooking next level que on Manor, Aaron was cleaning his toilets.

Sure, Aaron took it to the stratosphere but John lifted that rocket ship off the ground. His Manor joint had lines out the door at lunch daily, well before Franklin ever sold a brisket.

Honestly, I think a lot of it taking off had to do with Austin’s food scene coming into its own at the same time destination dining TV (Bourdain, etc) and food blogging and vlogging took off.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

While John was cooking next level que on Manor, Aaron was cleaning his toilets.

Sure, Aaron took it to the stratosphere but John lifted that rocket ship off the ground. His Manor joint had lines out the door at lunch daily, well before Franklin ever sold a brisket.

Honestly, I think a lot of it taking off had to do with Austin’s food scene coming into its own at the same time destination dining TV (Bourdain, etc) and food blogging and vlogging took off.

Yep, I agree. I lived on Dancy, two blocks away from John's spot and then only a short distance from Aaron's trailer when it opened, so I was a regular at both. I was very bummed when John's spot closed but it was pretty awesome to hit up Aaron's trailer in Dec 2009 when there wasn't anyone there. My ex lived in the house directly adjacent to that property where Aaron's trailer was so I saw that line grow on a daily basis after you assholes caught on.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

There is an element of truth to this but having a front row seat to the Franklin BBQ growth phenomenom (as many of you others did as well), I think it's safe to say that shaggy had a big part in getting him a lot of attention online and via word of mouth. Think about all the huge ass office orders you fuckers would walk away with....those people told their friends who told their friends etc....Also that TM article a year or two later (?) written by Patricia Sharpe that featured both Aaron and John and their connection.....

he looked 25 pounds lighter in pic on the right. anyone know what medical issue he had and did he die from it?

his sister asked to share the news so it looks like they were maybe on good terms. 

i remember when shaggy gave her all kinds of shit when she accused john of stealing money. yea....we all owe her an apology. 

anyway, RIP John Mueller.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

I worked weekends at JMMC when it first opened. Learned many techniques I use to this day when cooking anything. Not just bbq. 

Had an incredible time helping him cater the shaggy Alamo tailgate. 

He was always super fucking cool to me no matter what the haters say. Even myslef.

RIP

He was always super cool to me as well. But super cool people can also be real shitty at times.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmand said:

Shaggy is the reason I found out about new bbq in Austin.  I was a Salt Lick guy.  Still like it for nostalgia, but the quality is chump change of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Shaggy is the reason I found out about new bbq in Austin.  I was a Salt Lick guy.  Still like it for nostalgia, but the quality is chump change of course.

i remember the days when city market was a must stop and heading to lockheart was a BIG deal 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I've often referred to the Salt Lick as the Oasis of bbq but I have to admit that the experience of eating at the RR location isn't that bad and is a usually a function of expectations. It's fine as long as you're not walking in with the intent of comparing it against benchmark standards. 

• Hook 'Em 2