Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 10/22/2018 at 6:11 PM, elfenix said:

Louie Mueller for lunch. Wet spares were the star of the show, good flavor with a light sweetness. Probably could have put away a rack of those. Brisket could have been rendered better, sausage (both jalapeno and regular) had good pepper flavor and nice grind, though I did get something inedible. Turkey needed some pepper. 3b9a9300258f417757b3f8309daf5a57.jpg

Awesome. Angioplasty for dessert?

Drove past a 45 minute line at Valentina's today on the way to Whitfield's BBQ. Was not disappointed. Brisket was perfectly cooked and the quality that people wait in line for. Jalapeno cheese sausage and turkey were very good as well. The pitmaster (previously with Valentina's and Stiles Switch) was working the order window and Kasey Studdard (previously kicking ass in the Rose Bowl) was slicing meat.1a2d1c53f2ce0a236f4abf7554f59307.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Drove past a 45 minute line at Valentina's today on the way to Whitfield's BBQ. Was not disappointed. Brisket was perfectly cooked and the quality that people wait in line for. Jalapeno cheese sausage and turkey were very good as well. The pitmaster (previously with Valentina's and Stiles Switch) was working the order window and Kasey Studdard (previously kicking ass in the Rose Bowl) was slicing meat.1a2d1c53f2ce0a236f4abf7554f59307.jpg

Broccoli???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:
1 hour ago, deadshank said:
You paid for those sides?   

Yes and only ate a couple bites. I was interested in seeing how the veggies did being smoked. No smoke flavor only bitterness.

Shoulda slapped Studdard upside the head and got your money back.

I went to Victoria for a funeral yesterday and we stopped at Black's BBQ in Lockhart on the way home.

One of my buddies got the beef rib and it was not their best. Disappointed.

I got pork ribs, brisket and sausage.  The brisket was awesome.  I saw it on the cutting table and I said "yeah get me some of that".  I was at Louie Muellers 2 weeks ago and I thought that the brisket was better at Blacks but the ribs + sausage were better at Louie Muellers.  Of course this all varies visit to visit.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

one dude on their list has Style Switch as their #1?! and SMITTY's as their #5? guys list is Style Switch, Leroy & Lewis, Mueller Black Box, The Switch and Smitty's.

...really?

link to individual top 5's

IMHO, noticably absent from the list were The Pit Room in Houston and Evie Mae's in Lubbock. Both of which should be in any Texas top 40+ list. I would place Evie Mae's in the top 15.

Have not been able to get by Buck's when in Houston, but I suspect that Jim's barbecue should be on the lists as well.

Looking forward to trying Buck's, The Slow Bone, Leroy & Lewis, and Guess in the future.

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

IMHO, noticably absent from the list were The Pit Room in Houston and Evie Mae's in Lubbock. Both of which should be in any Texas top 40+ list. I would place Evie Mae's in the top 15.

Have not been able to get by Buck's when in Houston, but I suspect that Jim's barbecue should be on the lists as well.

Looking forward to trying Buck's, The Slow Bone, Leroy & Lewis, and Guess in the future.

Evie Maes is legit. 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Many Bill Miller's around town. Best Iced Tea around and their sausage and potato taco is severely underrated 

Do they have good tortillas?  That's the most important criterion for rating BBQ joints.  Second most important is their nanner pudding.

22 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The best thing at Bill Miller's is their breakfast tacos. The second best thing at Bill Miller is their Fried Chicken. 

This man speaks the truth.

23 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

How can a city the size of San Antonio only have one decent barbecue joint?

How can a city the size of Austin not have a mexican food place that serves puffy tacos? That's the thing I miss the most about San Antonio.

• Like 1

On my way out of town from Houston back to Dallas and stopped in once again at the conveniently located not far off of 45 Pinkerton’s.

Got the full “grand tour” of all meats last time and wanted to mix it up a bit this time so decided on the rare sandwich order of the meat/pork combo, duck jambalaya and a little side of brisket because why not.

Great as always.

4f5ca1d3d7e3e40572f9aae4c657c406.jpg

• Like 3

On my way out of town from Houston back to Dallas and stopped in once again at the conveniently located not far off of 45 Pinkerton’s.

Got the full “grand tour” of all meats last time and wanted to mix it up a bit this time so decided on the rare sandwich order of the meat/pork combo, duck jambalaya and a little side of brisket because why not.

Great as always.

4f5ca1d3d7e3e40572f9aae4c657c406.jpg
Duck Jambalaya....get the f out of here. Sounds awesome. Hope it was good.

On 11/8/2018 at 10:15 AM, Jerry Callo said:

The Pit Room is horrible now.