Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I'm not shocked at all by the portal entries, and will be even less shocked as they continue.  The program is in disarray from a culture standpoint, and is being led by someone who has zero control or respect in the locker room.  Frankly I'm surprised we haven't had more players leave already.  How many players have we had sit out games, threaten to sit out games, enter the transfer portal and return, or skip the first 6 weeks of practice, only to in turn be deemed "stars" on this team?  It's so incredibly damaging to culture when that behavior is tolerated, or even rewarded, while those players who continually bust their ass and do what's asked aren't rewarded.  What precedent has Herman set in that regard?  And he can't walk that back.  And people who enter the portal, don't exactly come back happy and bought in.  They will always have a chip on their shoulder and will be one foot out the door, no matter what.  They'll spend more time looking for excuses to leave, rather than reasons to play.

Herman's handling of 3 specific situations have caused permanent damage to the culture.  His post-game answer on Saturday about the player counsel needing to fix things won't help him either.  As much as I wanted him to succeed here, I think he's done here.  The few players left that actually have any respect for him are done at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I'm not shocked at all by the portal entries, and will be even less shocked as they continue.  The program is in disarray from a culture standpoint, and is being led by someone who has zero control or respect in the locker room.  Frankly I'm surprised we haven't had more players leave already.  How many players have we had sit out games, threaten to sit out games, enter the transfer portal and return, or skip the first 6 weeks of practice, only to in turn be deemed "stars" on this team?  It's so incredibly damaging to culture when that behavior is tolerated, or even rewarded, while those players who continually bust their ass and do what's asked aren't rewarded.  What precedent has Herman set in that regard?  And he can't walk that back.  And people who enter the portal, don't exactly come back happy and bought in.  They will always have a chip on their shoulder and will be one foot out the door, no matter what.  They'll spend more time looking for excuses to leave, rather than reasons to play.

Herman's handling of 3 specific situations have caused permanent damage to the culture.  His post-game answer on Saturday about the player counsel needing to fix things won't help him either.  As much as I wanted him to succeed here, I think he's done here.  The few players left that actually have any respect for him are done at the end of the year.

Feel free to elaborate 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

Is that you Satya? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm with you here. I don't think Texas replaces Herman this year even if he goes 4-6. Now, I hope I am wrong, for sure. 

Don't do this to yourself. 

I don't throw the word "hate" around much. It's an abused word, like "love" and "genius" and from a generally religious/karmic perspective, I've tried not to throw much hate into the ether over the years. I've been told previously that I hate Tom Herman and denied it, because it wasn't true.

Now? I'm comfortable with the label. As a fan, I hate this motherfucker. He's a joysquashing piece of shit intent on teabagging the Texas program repeatedly until all we see as fans is his hairy beanbag across our collective nose while all we can smell is hot, sweaty cheese assaulting every part of our olfactory system.

He is a fucking jellyfish if there ever was one. It's like he strives to keep games close while methodically sticking to the same stupid playcalling and pathetic personnel choices. We have a burgeoning NFL TE in Wiley making plays out there, yet we keep witnessing Brewer take the majority of the snaps in order to publicly illustrate the definition of "irrelevant" on a football field. The team is perpetually undisciplined. The HC himself is a smug rube without a clue, so far in over his head at this point that it's likely he doesn't even know which way is up. 

I enjoy the members and dialogue of the recruiting board, so I'll keep reading and posting, but I'm squarely in support of the premise at this point that talent is irrelevant when coaching is incompetent. This motherfucker is incompetent. Our best hope for change within the next few months is some sort of personal scandal. 

Welcome back. I agree with every word above you wrote regarding Herman. Serious question...

I am a UT grad from the 80's, my father and Uncle played at UT (basketball and baseball) and I was born bleeding burnt orange. I have seen all the highs and lows throughout the years. And right now, I seriously don't know how Texas pulls out of this darkness that is Herman. Whenever I see comments of "hire Saban" or "hire Urban", i just think that will never happen. Why would any great coach want to come here right now?

If Herman gets fired, what would be the most realistic hire? Are we looking at hiring another glorified coordinator/middle tier coach that hasn't proven shit with the big boys? Isn't that what Herman and Strong were?

What is the best hope for those of us who know Herman needs to go, but aren't confident we could get any game changers to come here?

I was actually pleased at how the defense adjusted after halftime. They really improved, imo. It's a shame that Turtle Tom had to shit all the fuck over it. 

That being said, saying the coordinators are putting them in the best position to succeed is disingenuous. Particularly the offensive coordinator. IT looks just like Herman's typical bullshit, not adjusting to the talents of players, and hammering the same shit home because he's stubborn as fuck. At this point, it isn't our OC not getting it done, it's Tom Herman football. He can get proper fucked. I'm just too tired and apathetic to deal with that motherfucker anymore. As soon as he's gone we'll see if the coaching search grabs my attention. Because right now he looks like a dead man walking and it's hard to get excited after 10+ years of this bullshit. I don't even know who we'd go after next. But I hope CDC is making a list of names now and getting a head start on the search. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was actually pleased at how the defense adjusted after halftime. They really improved, imo. It's a shame that Turtle Tom had to shit all the fuck over it. 

That being said, saying the coordinators are putting them in the best position to succeed is disingenuous. Particularly the offensive coordinator. IT looks just like Herman's typical bullshit, not adjusting to the talents of players, and hammering the same shit home because he's stubborn as fuck. At this point, it isn't our OC not getting it done, it's Tom Herman football. He can get proper fucked. I'm just too tired and apathetic to deal with that motherfucker anymore. As soon as he's gone we'll see if the coaching search grabs my attention. Because right now he looks like a dead man walking and it's hard to get excited after 10+ years of this bullshit. I don't even know who we'd go after next. But I hope CDC is making a list of names now and getting a head start on the search. 

My dumbass honestly believed that Herman would let Yurcich actually do what we brought him in for but this offense looks like every Herman offense ive seen since he was at Houston...he still cant look past his own fucking dick and see what the real problem is...same predictable bullshit

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Here's the thing.. I looked back at over 30 years of football since I've left the 40 acres. 

1 - A Heisman Winner - I loved that year and honestly, I never thought I would see one at Texas in my lifetime. Thank you Ricky

2 - A National Championship - Thank you Mack and for the one more we could have had if you weren't so stupid as to run Colt into a stacked front 4

3 - A Sugar Bowl win.. that was good.. that's balanced against the butt whipping we took from VT and Drukenmiller (sp) at same bowl. 

4 - A couple of Cotton Bowl wins and one ass kicking from Miami. That was fun.

5 - Countless Holiday bowls and Alamo bowls -- whatever

That's it I think. I have zero faith in anybody Texas brings in. This issue goes very deep into the culture at the University of Texas. Royal was right to walk away. 

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

3) The "$$ is lining up for Urban Meyer" train is starting to pick up steam. I have zero clue how much of that is real vs wishcasting. 

I fucking hate Meyer and don't think I'll be able to rationally bridge that gap, but if they do this, they need to go full tilt and get Joe Brady as OC to work with Ewers. Pay him whatever it takes and name him coach in waiting. It might be the only way I'll be able to stay engaged at that point. Hell, I'm struggling now, and like most on this site, I consider myself a diehard.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks for the kind words. 

Regarding your question:

1) They had Matt Campbell lined up with a UT loss to Tech at home at the end of 2019. Texas won and CDC balked at doing anything and persuaded enough folks to stay the course with him. I posted on this on the football board during the bowl season if you're looking for something contemporaneous at the time.

2) Given that, pre-corona, Herman had no allies and was hanging on by the skin of his teeth, the mandate was two top 5 recruiting finishes (2020 & 2021), a Big 12 title in 2020, and a playoff appearance, or damned near one. The recruiting stuff could be apocryphal and I was a skeptic at the time. The rest has been repeated in one form or another across $9.95er-land and I doubt all of the sources are the same. 

3) The "$$ is lining up for Urban Meyer" train is starting to pick up steam. I have zero clue how much of that is real vs wishcasting. 

4) I'm tired of this bullshit. If they go get Urban Meyer, yee-fucking-haw. I am guessing I was high and mighty about drawing the line short of Urban Meyer at some point. @SydneyCarton asked me & @HenryJamesthis weekend where we drew the line on a HC at Texas. Oddly, it turns out, I apparently draw the line just past Urban Meyer and long before JoePa, OU coaches in general, and Art Briles. I don't blame anyone for taking higher ground than that, but I've lost my illusions about the integrity of college sports over the course of the last decade plus and corona has sent me into NoFucksGivenLand in ways that nothing else could have.  The dude is there for the taking, it would be a wonderful troll job on the Hermanosaurus Wrecks, and we'll win. Fuck it. We've got the embarrassment and lack of integrity with the current guy in charge, might as well have the fucking wins too.

I really hope the BMDs can put the $$$ together this year.  If Urban is hired this year, the drop off in recruiting will be minimal.

1 hour ago, BurntOrangeCrush said:

Welcome back. I agree with every word above you wrote regarding Herman. Serious question...

I am a UT grad from the 80's, my father and Uncle played at UT (basketball and baseball) and I was born bleeding burnt orange. I have seen all the highs and lows throughout the years. And right now, I seriously don't know how Texas pulls out of this darkness that is Herman. Whenever I see comments of "hire Saban" or "hire Urban", i just think that will never happen. Why would any great coach want to come here right now?

If Herman gets fired, what would be the most realistic hire? Are we looking at hiring another glorified coordinator/middle tier coach that hasn't proven shit with the big boys? Isn't that what Herman and Strong were?

What is the best hope for those of us who know Herman needs to go, but aren't confident we could get any game changers to come here?

Who played hoops?

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

BJ Foster's return to the team was co-signed by the players. Overshown is aligned as fuck, and please, who should be playing Will in his stead? The walk-on or the true freshman? Okafor and Cook were co-signed by the team. I don't think Okafor would be starting if Hookfin was healthy and Cook isn't starting, so all of your point is essentially useless.

I love shitting on Tom. He's not getting it done here. But, at some point, the players have a responsibility to achieve their potential. I do believe that the staff is doing their best to put them in a position to succeed, specifically the coordinators, and it's time the team won despite the fact that there is a solipsistic asshat in charge.

I wasn't even thinking of Foster directly, although he's a great example.  I don't really care if the team wanted him back or not.  He didn't get playing time in a game, quit, asked to come back and was rewarded with playing time, and sucked in that allotted time, showing why he wasn't playing in the first place.  The key in ALL of that is him getting rewarded with playing time because he quit.  That sets a precedent.  Who's to say Kenyatta Watson isn't doing the exact same?  I was thinking of Juwan Mitchell.  Enter the portal but come back to being a starter?  What is that telling your program?  And I get the backup part, I do.  But at some point the head coach has to say that the program is bigger than the player.  Sadly, that time has passed.

Overshown, I get it, he doesn't have a backup.  But he's also known that all along, which makes his handling maddening.  The guy chose not to come to campus until the very last minute, even though his team was here and working out.  And he wasn't missing because of CoVid, or BLM, or any other social issue...he just did not want to practice.  So again, allowing him to just not be here, and then walk into a starting spot, it causes problems.

5 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I wasn't even thinking of Foster directly, although he's a great example.  I don't really care if the team wanted him back or not.  He didn't get playing time in a game, quit, asked to come back and was rewarded with playing time, and sucked in that allotted time, showing why he wasn't playing in the first place.  The key in ALL of that is him getting rewarded with playing time because he quit.  That sets a precedent.  Who's to say Kenyatta Watson isn't doing the exact same?  I was thinking of Juwan Mitchell.  Enter the portal but come back to being a starter?  What is that telling your program?  And I get the backup part, I do.  But at some point the head coach has to say that the program is bigger than the player.  Sadly, that time has passed.

Overshown, I get it, he doesn't have a backup.  But he's also known that all along, which makes his handling maddening.  The guy chose not to come to campus until the very last minute, even though his team was here and working out.  And he wasn't missing because of CoVid, or BLM, or any other social issue...he just did not want to practice.  So again, allowing him to just not be here, and then walk into a starting spot, it causes problems.

I dare say the LB position and therefore the program would somehow look even shittier without the two current starters at that position 

2 hours ago, Not a Sock said:

Do you really believe that?

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That being said, saying the coordinators are putting them in the best position to succeed is disingenuous. Particularly the offensive coordinator.

"Putting players in the best position to succeed" is perhaps too hyperbolic, but I do believe that this team can and should win games because of the coordinators, despite Tom. That's not defending that Tom still has this job, or that his impact is anything better than net negative. 

I was pretty happy with the defense in the 2nd half as well. The offense is, and will continue to be fine. Making the right reads instead of locking onto a route pre-snap would drastically change how the offense is perceived by the average fan. Sam isn't comfortable yet, and I think a lot of "Tom has control of the offense again" sads are really Yurch calling things that he thinks Sam might be more comfortable with. Not completely, but I do believe it's a contributing factor. Sam is the governor right now, imo. 

And hey, if we're wishcasting realistic coaching, give me Herm Edwards in a landslide. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Thanks for the kind words. 
Regarding your question:
1) They had Matt Campbell lined up with a UT loss to Tech at home at the end of 2019. Texas won and CDC balked at doing anything and persuaded enough folks to stay the course with him. I posted on this on the football board during the bowl season if you're looking for something contemporaneous at the time.
2) Given that, pre-corona, Herman had no allies and was hanging on by the skin of his teeth, the mandate was two top 5 recruiting finishes (2020 & 2021), a Big 12 title in 2020, and a playoff appearance, or damned near one. The recruiting stuff could be apocryphal and I was a skeptic at the time. The rest has been repeated in one form or another across $9.95er-land and I doubt all of the sources are the same. 
4) I'm tired of this bullshit. If they go get Urban Meyer, yee-fucking-haw. I am guessing I was high and mighty about drawing the line short of Urban Meyer at some point. [mention=192]SydneyCarton[/mention] asked me & [mention=14]HenryJames[/mention]this weekend where we drew the line on a HC at Texas. Oddly, it turns out, I apparently draw the line just past Urban Meyer and long before JoePa, OU coaches in general, and Art Briles. I don't blame anyone for taking higher ground than that, but I've lost my illusions about the integrity of college sports over the course of the last decade plus and corona has sent me into NoFucksGivenLand in ways that nothing else could have.  The dude is there for the taking, it would be a wonderful troll job on the Hermanosaurus Wrecks, and we'll win. Fuck it. We've got the embarrassment and lack of integrity with the current guy in charge, might as well have the fucking wins too.

Long time college football fans need to come to terms with the fact that the cheating has become widespread and accepted at most of the top programs in the country. The players have become even greater prima donnas than they used to be. The coaches are mostly shitheads. The sport has changed dramatically, and the dollars are now so big that people will do anything to get a piece of it. Those dollars come from fans.

I thought about it and decided a year ago I was done. I dropped season tickets for the first time in almost forty years (except one year when I was moving). I doubt I will ever buy them again.

Right now I’ve stopped all contributions to the University and not sure whether I will ever resume them again.

I still watch games on tv, but I’m on the verge of stopping that too.

When all this stuff makes you unhappy, why continue to care?

I still drop in on recruiting because I’ve found it fascinating, but the program is such a joke I’ll probably drop that too.

Either something has to change soon or I’m done for good. I’ve already dropped the Cowboys. Don’t even watch half the games.
  • Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Long time college football fans need to come to terms with the fact that the cheating has become widespread and accepted at most of the top programs in the country. The players have become even greater prima donnas than they used to be. The coaches are mostly shitheads. The sport has changed dramatically, and the dollars are now so big that people will do anything to get a piece of it. Those dollars come from fans.

I thought about it and decided a year ago I was done. I dropped season tickets for the first time in almost forty years (except one year when I was moving). I doubt I will ever buy them again.

Right now I’ve stopped all contributions to the University and not sure whether I will ever resume them again.

I still watch games on tv, but I’m on the verge of stopping that too.

When all this stuff makes you unhappy, why continue to care?

I still drop in on recruiting because I’ve found it fascinating, but the program is such a joke I’ll probably drop that too.

Either something has to change soon or I’m done for good. I’ve already dropped the Cowboys. Don’t even watch half the games.

The Zach Evans recruitment really hit you hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:
  •  I dropped season tickets for the first time in almost forty years 
  • Right now I’ve stopped all contributions to the University 
  • I still watch games on tv, but I’m on the verge of stopping that too.
  • I still drop in on recruiting because I’ve found it fascinating, but the program is such a joke I’ll probably drop that too.
  • Either something has to change soon or I’m done for good. I’ve already dropped the Cowboys. 

giphy.gif

Spoiler

those who dont want texas to cheat in recruiting or want urban to be the head coach should go cheer for a pac 12 school

its time for texas to stop being pretentious & start slinging our glizzys 

all the "we r texas we r more than a football school we have an academic rep" people will change their tune when texas starts winning 

football comes first & foremost as it should always be 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:
  Hide contents

those who dont want texas to cheat in recruiting or want urban to be the head coach should go cheer for a pac 12 school

all the "we r texas we r more than a football school we have an academic rep" people will change their tune when texas starts winning 

Who are you even arguing with with regards to cheating? And why not Urban Meyer? Are you under the impression he ran clean programs?

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

Who are you even arguing with with regards to cheating? And why not Urban Meyer? Are you under the impression he ran clean programs?

nah bruh i want urban i want texas to open the bagmen well 

i was referring to everyone crying about not wanting texas to cheat in recruiting or to hire urban  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, westexhorn said:

I really hope the BMDs can put the $$$ together this year.  If Urban is hired this year, the drop off in recruiting will be minimal.

After he got hired at OSU they had a top 5 class even with looming sanctions. Recruiting would probably be better if hired this year. 

Why the fuck are we even talking about bag men right now? Who cares?

Step 1 is to consistently beat the likes of Tech, TCU, and Baylor. We can’t even do that right now, and the reason is not because we won’t drop the bag for certain players.

Buying more talent is like building a faster car so we can fly to the moon. Let’s trade this shitty ass car for an airplane first then go from there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, westexhorn said:

Drop off?  Try take off.

5 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

We've got an extremely talented roster with some shit head coaching. We are the clear leader in regards to in-state recruiting. Aggy is forced to recruit New fucking Jersey even while Tom lays a 7-5 egg. They're going 6-4 at best this year, so their 2022 recruiting won't be much better than 2021 and will be easy to recruit against as a new head coach with success you can point back at and show off.

Dude, considering this is Texas and our name is on the front, we are running 4th or maybe 3rd at best this cycle.  Bama, OU and LSU are mopping up along side with fOSU cherry picking at the top as usual.   Fuck I fucking hate Mensa.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

. I enjoy the members and dialogue of the recruiting board, so I'll keep reading and posting, but I'm squarely in support of the premise at this point that talent is irrelevant when coaching is incompetent. This motherfucker is incompetent. Our best hope for change within the next few months is some sort of personal scandal. 

Im in.  Just imagine what happens if someone like Zack Smith found his way to west Austin in a mid to late 80’s mustang GT with $20k cash and 8 oz of cocaine upon arrival.   Coke and cash will be waiting on the floorboard of a midsized tractor like a backhoe or a bobcat parked off Westlake Dr.  

I’m good to work out the details, maybe it takes a vette or $30k instead of 20, I just need one of you surly degenerates to source the 1/2 lb of blow. The rest is shall we say, my pleasure.  

and no fucking narcotics stings either, I’m too old to give a shit about cocaine, this is all about public service for the greater good  

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, hornfromdallas said:
  Hide contents

I’ll have you know I’ve been slinging my glizzy since before you were born, young man!

14 hours ago, IDIOTsavant said:

I fucking hate Meyer and don't think I'll be able to rationally bridge that gap, but if they do this, they need to go full tilt and get Joe Brady as OC to work with Ewers. Pay him whatever it takes and name him coach in waiting. It might be the only way I'll be able to stay engaged at that point. Hell, I'm struggling now, and like most on this site, I consider myself a diehard.

I believe the HCIW designation got nerfed into the ground around when Coach Boom was named that, impacting traveling/recruiting in home visits?

I get what you are saying in concept but want to be fairly clear around that specific designation (or did I imagine this?)

• Hook 'Em 1