Mass Shootings

Nice Guy Eddie

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

I have heard this one cited a few times.  2% have no ethical limiters at all.  26% can and will persuade themselves of whatever.   So in good times we have nearly 30% with a total moral failing.   I bet those 370 pussies breaks down about the same.  2% were OK with the children dying.  26% went along with the 2%.  And the rest didn't buck the chain of command.  

You are dealing with GED equivalent morons. You would think that some basic humanity would find a way to push through, but you are overestimating their abilities. 

You have struck me as a man of science and reason. You must realize what an incredible statistical outlier this group of law-enforcement officials are.  That many hundreds in and around that community living with that kind of failure for the last two years and not one is gone. 

On 5/23/2024 at 12:04 AM, Anastasis said:

You are dealing with GED equivalent morons. You would think that some basic humanity would find a way to push through, but you are overestimating their abilities. 

From what I was told those ratios were similar regardless of demographics/vocation and more about humanity.  

• 3 weeks later...

it was interesting, spending almost four weeks in various European countries (we just got back a few days ago)...after about ten days, even though we had to keep an eye out for pickpockets and scammers in various locations, i slowly realized that i was in general feeling a much more relaxed state of mind wandering around unknown areas of these cities, both crowded and deserted (evenings), specifically bc in the back of my mind i was literally thinking 'none of these people have guns'. it was such a weird feeling...i mentioned it several times in different places once i realized i was feeling it.

i don't think we consciously realize how much of that is ingrained in our psyche - finding nearest exits every time you enter a public space, staying alert for any commotion in crowded settings, hell i frequently play the 'where will i run in this restaurant if someone comes in that door blasting? what about that door?' i mean it's not even disruptive or particularly disturbing anymore, it's just part of living in America. 

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

43 minutes ago, mchookem said:

it was interesting, spending almost four weeks in various European countries (we just got back a few days ago)...after about ten days, even though we had to keep an eye out for pickpockets and scammers in various locations, i slowly realized that i was in general feeling a much more relaxed state of mind wandering around unknown areas of these cities, both crowded and deserted (evenings), specifically bc in the back of my mind i was literally thinking 'none of these people have guns'. it was such a weird feeling...i mentioned it several times in different places once i realized i was feeling it.

i don't think we consciously realize how much of that is ingrained in our psyche - finding nearest exits every time you enter a public space, staying alert for any commotion in crowded settings, hell i frequently play the 'where will i run in this restaurant if someone comes in that door blasting? what about that door?' i mean it's not even disruptive or particularly disturbing anymore, it's just part of living in America. 

Spot-on.  My kids have lived and gone to school in non-US countries for the past several years (Germany, Sweden, Canada, the UK).  They each have talked about how there is a huge gap between them and their non-American peers, along just the lines you mentioned.  Like, they'll have conversations and their friends ask "wait...when you go into a classroom the first time, you actually evaluate it for places that provide cover and how quickly you can get to the exits?"  Both kids answer yes (for classrooms and pretty much any public space), as do pretty much all of their American peers, and the non-Americans are legitimately gobsmacked by that.  

Sure, they have to keep their eyes out for other things, pickpockets, angry drunks, all the usual stuff.  But just knowing that there is a much much lower chance of someone showing up with a gun with a high-cap magazine to slaughter as many people as he can lets them breathe just a little bit easier.  And they each are pissed off that they can notice the difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

When to we get the tedious debate about whether to do take purely symbolic action about guns or to do nothing at all about mental illness? I’m worried if it doesn’t start soon we’ll start talking about the intersection of isolation, despair, inequality and violence, which we must never do because #thisisamerica.

• Like 1

Hi! I come from the insulting world of Boilerplate.

image.png.5d7b1c98a9998887c7e43907f45550e8.png

What a load of corporate PR sounding bullshit. You can't muster up the gumption to write a truly personal note? I'm guessing the writer is a grad student which is a class of people destroying American writing and language.

Two years have passed, but the indescribable horror of what happened in those two classrooms remains vivid to Uvaldeans. To me, as well.... [right off the top of my head]

Fuck what you think positive change is and your commitment to it.

17 hours ago, mchookem said:

it was interesting, spending almost four weeks in various European countries (we just got back a few days ago)...

I count on the good guy with a gun to save the day. 

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

When to we get the tedious debate about whether to do take purely symbolic action about guns or to do nothing at all about mental illness? I’m worried if it doesn’t start soon we’ll start talking about the intersection of isolation, despair, inequality and violence, which we must never do because #thisisamerica.

The template is always on standby. 

1. What type of gun? 
  2. Where was it purchased?
  3. Roll call of the dead with family pix.
  4. Discussion about gun control.
  5. Impact on political races.
  6. Same images of weepers hugging in the foreground of the murder scene.

Never:

• What is going on with our culture?
  • Does this fit our mythology of just about every conflict being solved by killing somebody?
  • What has led to the frequency increasing?
  • Actual mental health policy rather than merely a casual reference.

Panels, panels, panels...

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

What a load of corporate PR sounding bullshit. You can't muster up the gumption to write a truly personal note? I'm guessing the writer is a grad student which is a class of people destroying American writing and language.

I’ll have you know they wrote it with refrigerator magnets

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Spot-on.  My kids have lived and gone to school in non-US countries for the past several years (Germany, Sweden, Canada, the UK).  They each have talked about how there is a huge gap between them and their non-American peers, along just the lines you mentioned.  Like, they'll have conversations and their friends ask "wait...when you go into a classroom the first time, you actually evaluate it for places that provide cover and how quickly you can get to the exits?"  Both kids answer yes (for classrooms and pretty much any public space), as do pretty much all of their American peers, and the non-Americans are legitimately gobsmacked by that.  

Sure, they have to keep their eyes out for other things, pickpockets, angry drunks, all the usual stuff.  But just knowing that there is a much much lower chance of someone showing up with a gun with a high-cap magazine to slaughter as many people as he can lets them breathe just a little bit easier.  And they each are pissed off that they can notice the difference.

The main danger in EU = soccer hooligans. 

post without commentary

Today is the day that the 20 children massacred at Sandy Hook Elementary School in December 2012 would have graduated, perhaps cheered on by the six teachers and administrators also killed in the deadliest K-12 shooting in US history.

“A guy – armed – came into my classroom and started shooting all of my friends and my teachers and my classmates,” she [Emma] said. “His gun jammed and a friend of mine, Jesse Lewis, yelled at us to run and that’s what we did.”

Jesse Lewis, just six years old, shown in family photos with rosy cheeks and a smile full of baby teeth, was killed. But his quick thinking and desire to help his friends propelled Emma and a few other children to bump past the gunman and get out.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/12/us/sandy-hook-survivors-graduate-high-school/index.html

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Hi! I come from the insulting world of Boilerplate.

image.png.5d7b1c98a9998887c7e43907f45550e8.png

Two years have passed, but the indescribable horror of what happened in those two classrooms remains vivid to Uvaldeans. To me, as well.... [right off the top of my head]

Fuck what you think positive change is and your commitment to it.

I count on the good guy with a gun to save the day. 

1. What type of gun? 

Never:

• What is going on with our culture?
  • Does this fit our mythology of just about every conflict being solved by killing somebody?
  • What has led to the frequency increasing?
  • Actual mental health policy rather than merely a casual reference.

Panels, panels, panels...

Probably done with chat gpt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Jesus, that hits like a sledgehammer. Fuck the ghouls that WILL NOT DO A GODDAMN THING TO CURB SCHOOL SHOOTINGS.

My daughter just graduated HS a few weeks ago. Forgot she was exactly the same age as the Sandy Hook victims.

5 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

1. What type of gun? 

7.  Makeshift memorial with flowers, candles, hand-scrawled messages and pictures of the victims.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It'd probably take a bodycount in the range of the Vegas massacre to get guns back on the front page.

• Hook 'Em 1

I attended a men’s meeting at church this morning during which a staff member gave a report on the active shooter training held at the church earlier in the week. At the training, one of the pastors noticed an unknown person sitting in the back of the sanctuary, underneath the balcony in what was believed to be an attempt not to draw attention to himself. When the executive pastor approached  him and asked if she could be of assistance, he said he was there just to observe what was going on. She alerted on site security who observed the man taking pictures of entry/exit points in two of the main hallways leading to the sanctuary. Security followed him as he hurried to the parking lot, jumped into his car and “sped” off. 

Senator Warnock is scheduled to preach the Men’s Day observance a week from Sunday. We’re not sure what to make of this, but I’m certain there will be security to back up the senator’s detail. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t somewhat concerned.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I attended a men’s meeting at church this morning during which a staff member gave a report on the active shooter training held at the church earlier in the week. At the training, one of the pastors noticed an unknown person sitting in the back of the sanctuary, underneath the balcony in what was believed to be an attempt not to draw attention to himself. When the executive pastor approached  him and asked if she could be of assistance, he said he was there just to observe what was going on. She alerted on site security who observed the man taking pictures of entry/exit points in two of the main hallways leading to the sanctuary. Security followed him as he hurried to the parking lot, jumped into his car and “sped” off. 

Senator Warnock is scheduled to preach the Men’s Day observance a week from Sunday. We’re not sure what to make of this, but I’m certain there will be security to back up the senator’s detail. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t somewhat concerned.

Um yeah

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'd be turning any photos of that dude over to police, pronto.

I crack myself up.

We have him on video. Problem is he may not be the one attending service on this or any other Sunday. We’re used to dealing with threats and crank callers. This latest event makes it more real.

5 minutes ago, Satchel said:

We have him on video. Problem is he may not be the one attending service on this or any other Sunday. We’re used to dealing with threats and crank callers. This latest event makes it more real.

Yeah I might be setting up legit security for that shit. 

5 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah I might be setting up legit security for that shit. 

The head of security is a former US Marshall . There are at least 6-7 uniformed DPD officers in and around the sanctuary and any number of licensed carriers and plain clothed sitting in the sanctuary.

Earlier this year, we hosted UMC missionaries from Tanzania. I picked then up from the hotel, brought them to church and to the reception area. When they saw the uniformed police officers patrolling the area, one man leaned over to me and with a concerned look on his face asked, “are we in danger?”  I resisted the temptation to say, hell yeah. You’re in America.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2