don't look up

henrygandorf

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

This. Bleakest film ive seen in years

Yup, the humor didn't really click for me, because it was all too real. There were times I think they were trying to point out absurdities, but they were almost exactly what really happens, so I just didn't find it all that funny. I don't think there can be any comparison to Idiocracy. That film began with some legitimate satire and commentary, but the story about how it happened was also over the top absurd and hilarious, as is the rest of the film. I can watch it over and over and laugh every time. I don't think I'll care to rewatch this one, although I did enjoy it somewhat and am glad I watched. The social media stuff is what I found the funniest, especially where Lawrence gets meme'd like immediately after her on-air freakout. There were some really good performances too, Streep and Hill were good playing some familiar characters, but again, a lot of what I think they intended to be humor was seriously depressing to me.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The scenes have a slight exaggeration of todays society but they’re not far off and possibly the near future.

Does it have a part where the rich politicians all own Mansions at the predicted impact site but instead of selling them as quick as possible just buy up more of them while telling us those sites will be obliterated any day now if we don't surrender more money to them?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:
Does it have a part where the rich politicians all own Mansions at the predicted impact site but instead of selling them as quick as possible just buy up more of them while telling us those sites will be obliterated any day now if we don't surrender more money to them?

image.gif

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Those who don't get it probably don't get a lot of things going on around them.

I don't really think there was anything to "get".  It wasn't a particularly subtle satire.

I didn't know who the fuck Ariana Grande or Kid Kudi were until my daughter told me who they were so at least now I feel my indifference is justified.   So while I enjoyed the movie, I think I still probably missed tons of inside jokes. 

I take a bit of offense that it's been compared at all to Dr. Strangelove because come on!  I'm thinking it terms of black comedy satire, something like In the Loop or even Burn After Reading did a better job of capturing political rot.

I think this movie excelled because it was really tight and captured some vibes from lots of genres.  But in the end, it's almost as if it was almost "too soon" in relying on the idiocy of the past four years.  Too many of the characters and jokes seemed like copies of real idiots.

Adam McKay arguably did my favorite movie of the last five years, The Big Short.  I think this one fits in nicely between his Will Ferrell comedies and something as cool and great as The Big Short. 

39 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I don't really think there was anything to "get".  It wasn't a particularly subtle satire.

I didn't know who the fuck Ariana Grande or Kid Kudi were until my daughter told me who they were so at least now I feel my indifference is justified.   So while I enjoyed the movie, I think I still probably missed tons of inside jokes. 

I take a bit of offense that it's been compared at all to Dr. Strangelove because come on!  I'm thinking it terms of black comedy satire, something like In the Loop or even Burn After Reading did a better job of capturing political rot.

I think this movie excelled because it was really tight and captured some vibes from lots of genres.  But in the end, it's almost as if it was almost "too soon" in relying on the idiocy of the past four years.  Too many of the characters and jokes seemed like copies of real idiots.

Adam McKay arguably did my favorite movie of the last five years, The Big Short.  I think this one fits in nicely between his Will Ferrell comedies and something as cool and great as The Big Short. 

I just finished it and thought it was OK.  I agree that The Big Short was one of the best movies in the last decade.  I felt like this wanted to be like The Big Short but for me kind of missed the mark.  I understand the satire but it just didn’t resonate to me as I guess I am pretty much living it right now.  Throw in a nice pandemic and the movie is like watching a documentary on the current world sadly.  A few other thoughts.  Meryl Streep really looked old to me.  I get that she is and maybe I haven’t seen her lately but I was kind of surprised.  Also, it’s weird but the only way I recognized Cate Blanchett was because of her cheeks for some reason.

i enjoyed it, but i def found it more depressing than funny. 

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

The scene at the end with  everyone having a normal dinner while the end approaches was so well done. 

Really got to me. Maybe because of all the family and friends I've been around the past week.

...and this^.

• Hook 'Em 1

I thought it was great. While I get that it depressed some, I think y’all are overthinking it in terms of “can this actually happen?”  I think the chances of that, even under the leadership of what we witnessed, are pretty slim. It was about as outlandish as Idiocracy. Maybe a little more realistic, and present-day, and therefore offensive to some. But pretty far fetched. I thought it was very well done. 

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Or it hits too close to home for them 

This is what it really boils down to. The script was written and shooting started before covid happened. I think had covid not happened, the comedy in the movie would have come off more nuanced in a "no way would people be that fucking dumb" kinda way. I think it's hard to see it that way now since covid has borne out that almost half of our nation are fucking idiots and now the bits in the movie feel like a sledgehammer. I don't think it really matters though because the people that are getting made fun of either won't watch it or will just dismiss it as 'leftist Hollywood propaganda'. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

I thought it was great. While I get that it depressed some, I think y’all are overthinking it in terms of “can this actually happen?”  I think the chances of that, even under the leadership of what we witnessed, are pretty slim. It was about as outlandish as Idiocracy. Maybe a little more realistic, and present-day, and therefore offensive to some. But pretty far fetched. I thought it was very well done. 

Uh, it is “really happening” currently with climate change

10 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Uh, it is “really happening” currently with climate change

I didn't see it as about climate change only. The problem with climate change is that it is relatively slow, there's not a date or time we can say that it'll officially fuck us all up, it will be incremental, and involve many tragic problem over time. As long as it snows sometimes, senators can carry snowballs into the chamber and say "gotcha." I think you could plug in any crisis that requires scientific expertise to understand. COVID is a better comparison in that regard, in my opinion. It would be pretty damn easy to convince half the country that the scientists' calculations of a comet strike are made up to cause panic for xyz cloak room reasons. The most unrealistic part of the movie is the rally where they looked up and saw the thing and turned on the president. That wouldn't have happened in real life. They would just say the comet is real but it's not actually going to hit, or in some circles, that its an optical illusion using Jewish space lasers. It is very much realistic, no where near the outlandishness of Idiocracy, which was also much funnier because the humor went way beyond social commentary.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I didn't see it as about climate change only. The problem with climate change is that it is relatively slow, there's not a date or time we can say that it'll officially fuck us all up, it will be incremental, and involve many tragic problem over time. As long as it snows sometimes, senators can carry snowballs into the chamber and say "gotcha." I think you could plug in any crisis that requires scientific expertise to understand. COVID is a better comparison in that regard, in my opinion. It would be pretty damn easy to convince half the country that the scientists' calculations of a comet strike are made up to cause panic for xyz cloak room reasons. The most unrealistic part of the movie is the rally where they looked up and saw the thing and turned on the president. That wouldn't have happened in real life. They would just say the comet is real but it's not actually going to hit, or in some circles, that its an optical illusion using Jewish space lasers. It is very much realistic, no where near the outlandishness of Idiocracy, which was also much funnier because the humor went way beyond social commentary.

I guess what i should have said is that McKay made the movie with the underlying message being “climate change”

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I guess what i should have said is that McKay made the movie with the underlying message being “climate change”

I interpreted "don't look up" as the equivalent of "don't test" with regard to COVID. Just outright denial of reality.

• Hook 'Em 1

...and i think that's why the dinner scene at the end actually had an emotional punch for me, the prayer and JLaw's line "i'm grateful...that we tried"...b/c i've lost count of the times i've felt defeatist/defeated and alienated in my own state/country the last few years. i really identified with that scene and her line especially. 

fuck. this movie is actually a tragedy isn't it? lol 😄😐

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2