• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

30 minutes ago, markstanco said:

I still don’t get why Spenser sanders went to ole miss. Double digit P5 programs would have him as QB1.

rihanna-money.gif

It’s gotta be all about that sweet SECX3 cash.  I have no actual knowledge. 

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

I still don’t get why Spenser sanders went to ole miss. Double digit P5 programs would have him as QB1.

This was his last season to really earn some cash playing QB since he won't be going pro. Really can't blame him since he's beein QB1 for 4 yrs. Had good chance (still does) to be QB1 at Ole Miss. He's moving on from football and making the best of the time he has left.

https://www.abqjournal.com/sports/were-no-sacrificial-lamb-danny-gonzales-previews-new-mexicos-opener-at-texas-a-m/article_7134a8a4-46d1-11ee-b27a-bb6472325d4c.html#tncms-source=home-featured-7-block

‘We're no sacrificial lamb': Danny Gonzales previews New Mexico's opener at Texas A&M

Because paywall:

Spoiler
Danny Gonzales knows all the cliches.

Hey, it’s just a logo.

The field’s the same size here, too.

They put their pants on like we do: one leg at a time.

Take your pick. Ahead of New Mexico’s season opener at No. 23 Texas A&M, the Lobos’ head coach cut right to the chase.

“The reality is we’re going to play a football team that is big and talented,” he said on Tuesday. “We’ve got some kids on our team that we think are big and talented. And it’s gonna be a heckuva football game.”

As the Lobos prepare for their tallest order of the season, big and talented probably sums up the Aggies best. Texas A&M finished a lackluster 5-7 in 2022, but return the most starters in the SEC (19), including their entire offensive line, the core of a secondary that led the country in passing defense and a group of wide receivers ranked among college football’s best.

For instance, Ainias Smith. The Aggies’ preseason All-SEC receiver had only two receptions for 16 yards when they met New Mexico last, a 34-0 A&M win in 2021, but his punt returns made an impression on Gonzales.

“I was hoping he was gonna go to the NFL — he didn’t,” he laughed.

Or safety Demani Richardson: “He’s obviously All-SEC for a reason,” Gonzales said.

And running back Amari Daniels: “He is really, really patient and he runs really, really hard,” he said. “He’s downhill. He’s physical.”

Again — take your pick. “They’re gonna be every bit as talented as USC was when they played San Jose State on Saturday,” Gonzales said, referencing the sixth-ranked Trojans’ 56-28 win this past weekend. “So what does that mean? That means it’s a great opportunity for our football team to go compete against great football players.”

Gonzales was clear that it’s impossible to replicate the environment of Kyle Field and the fans that routinely sell out its listed 102,733 capacity. But the Lobos did end practice at least trying to emulate the noise itself, with blaring speakers placed on a cart behind the offense within UNM’s indoor facility.

“We had a couple procedure issues, which is good we did it today,” he said. “We’ll do it tomorrow, we’ll do it Thursday … the longer the game’s close — if we can keep it close — the louder it’ll get and all those good things.”

What happens on Saturday won’t define the Lobos’ season, Gonzales said. But while they won’t be downplaying the task at hand, he said they won’t be shying away from it either.

“We’re no sacrificial lamb, I can promise you that … As a coach, you can make it way too big,” Gonzales said. “There’s no reason to make it bigger than it is. We’re going there to play one football game.

“We have 12 guaranteed opportunities. I think we have a pretty talented football team that has high aspirations and high goals. And nobody in the entire country thinks that we’re gonna be worth a darn. So, we’re gonna take it one at a time.”

More on the depth chart

Time and time again, Gonzales has made it clear how he feels about true freshmen seeing significant playing time. Tuesday was no different.

“For every true freshman you play,” he said, “you can count on losing football games.”

So it was a little bit of a surprise to see freshman Dereck Moore listed as the backup Lobo safety behind Tavian Combs in the initial depth chart. As noted in a previous article, Gonzales has mentioned the possibility of bumping starting Wolf safety Christian Ellis (who took Lobo reps for the first half of camp) over to Lobo if Combs were to go down, then bringing up another Wolf safety in his place.

The question: Is Moore the true backup?

“The way he’s practiced the last few days, he is … If (Combs) gets bumped and bruised, Dereck can go in there,” Gonzales said. “We didn’t have a long-term plan last year until Tavian got hurt and tore his ACL and then A.J. Haulcy stepped up as a true freshman.”

“... Dereck has come a long way — but Dereck is a freshman. If he continues to progress like he has over the last few weeks, I feel comfortable with Dereck Moore being in there.”

Running back Andrew Henry was in contention for one of the top two spots during the first half of camp before suffering a high ankle sprain during the second scrimmage of camp. After being listed at the bottom of UNM’s running back depth, Gonzales confirmed that placement was due to injury.

“Today is probably the best that he’s looked,” Gonzales said. “(He’s) still not 100%. He will go on the trip and have an opportunity given to him … I would guess he’ll be 100% by the time we play New Mexico State.”

Injury updatesThe only player Gonzales said they were preparing to not have on Saturday is safety D’Arco Perkins-McAllister, who’s been sidelined with a back injury since the start of camp. As for everybody else? “Typical bumps and bruises,” Gonzales said.

Cornerback Hunter Sellers was listed on the depth chart Monday after missing the entirety of camp. Gonzales said he’s looked to be full speed since his return to practice but will likely start the season primarily in a role on special teams.

Rivalry aside

On Sunday, New Mexico State co-defensive coordinator Nate Dreiling announced via X (previously Twitter) that his wife, Alexa, was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this month. Gonzales used part of his opening statement on Tuesday to offer his support.

“I think it’s awesome that they’re sharing her fight with breast cancer — my mother-in-law’s a breast cancer survivor,” Gonzales said. “So our prayers are with him and his family on this challenge they’re going to (endure). And I’m sure we’ll talk about it more in a couple of weeks but I just wanted them to know they’re getting prayers from up here in our football program.”

Narrator:  He was correct. They are not sacrificial lambs. They are, however, sacrificial Lobos. 
UNM is TURRRIBLE. 

Edited by nnm

15 minutes ago, nnm said:

https://www.abqjournal.com/sports/were-no-sacrificial-lamb-danny-gonzales-previews-new-mexicos-opener-at-texas-a-m/article_7134a8a4-46d1-11ee-b27a-bb6472325d4c.html#tncms-source=home-featured-7-block

‘We're no sacrificial lamb': Danny Gonzales previews New Mexico's opener at Texas A&M

Because paywall:

Reveal hidden contents
Danny Gonzales knows all the cliches.

Hey, it’s just a logo.

The field’s the same size here, too.

They put their pants on like we do: one leg at a time.

Take your pick. Ahead of New Mexico’s season opener at No. 23 Texas A&M, the Lobos’ head coach cut right to the chase.

“The reality is we’re going to play a football team that is big and talented,” he said on Tuesday. “We’ve got some kids on our team that we think are big and talented. And it’s gonna be a heckuva football game.”

As the Lobos prepare for their tallest order of the season, big and talented probably sums up the Aggies best. Texas A&M finished a lackluster 5-7 in 2022, but return the most starters in the SEC (19), including their entire offensive line, the core of a secondary that led the country in passing defense and a group of wide receivers ranked among college football’s best.

For instance, Ainias Smith. The Aggies’ preseason All-SEC receiver had only two receptions for 16 yards when they met New Mexico last, a 34-0 A&M win in 2021, but his punt returns made an impression on Gonzales.

“I was hoping he was gonna go to the NFL — he didn’t,” he laughed.

Or safety Demani Richardson: “He’s obviously All-SEC for a reason,” Gonzales said.

And running back Amari Daniels: “He is really, really patient and he runs really, really hard,” he said. “He’s downhill. He’s physical.”

Again — take your pick. “They’re gonna be every bit as talented as USC was when they played San Jose State on Saturday,” Gonzales said, referencing the sixth-ranked Trojans’ 56-28 win this past weekend. “So what does that mean? That means it’s a great opportunity for our football team to go compete against great football players.”

Gonzales was clear that it’s impossible to replicate the environment of Kyle Field and the fans that routinely sell out its listed 102,733 capacity. But the Lobos did end practice at least trying to emulate the noise itself, with blaring speakers placed on a cart behind the offense within UNM’s indoor facility.

“We had a couple procedure issues, which is good we did it today,” he said. “We’ll do it tomorrow, we’ll do it Thursday … the longer the game’s close — if we can keep it close — the louder it’ll get and all those good things.”

What happens on Saturday won’t define the Lobos’ season, Gonzales said. But while they won’t be downplaying the task at hand, he said they won’t be shying away from it either.

“We’re no sacrificial lamb, I can promise you that … As a coach, you can make it way too big,” Gonzales said. “There’s no reason to make it bigger than it is. We’re going there to play one football game.

“We have 12 guaranteed opportunities. I think we have a pretty talented football team that has high aspirations and high goals. And nobody in the entire country thinks that we’re gonna be worth a darn. So, we’re gonna take it one at a time.”

More on the depth chart

Time and time again, Gonzales has made it clear how he feels about true freshmen seeing significant playing time. Tuesday was no different.

“For every true freshman you play,” he said, “you can count on losing football games.”

So it was a little bit of a surprise to see freshman Dereck Moore listed as the backup Lobo safety behind Tavian Combs in the initial depth chart. As noted in a previous article, Gonzales has mentioned the possibility of bumping starting Wolf safety Christian Ellis (who took Lobo reps for the first half of camp) over to Lobo if Combs were to go down, then bringing up another Wolf safety in his place.

The question: Is Moore the true backup?

“The way he’s practiced the last few days, he is … If (Combs) gets bumped and bruised, Dereck can go in there,” Gonzales said. “We didn’t have a long-term plan last year until Tavian got hurt and tore his ACL and then A.J. Haulcy stepped up as a true freshman.”

“... Dereck has come a long way — but Dereck is a freshman. If he continues to progress like he has over the last few weeks, I feel comfortable with Dereck Moore being in there.”

Running back Andrew Henry was in contention for one of the top two spots during the first half of camp before suffering a high ankle sprain during the second scrimmage of camp. After being listed at the bottom of UNM’s running back depth, Gonzales confirmed that placement was due to injury.

“Today is probably the best that he’s looked,” Gonzales said. “(He’s) still not 100%. He will go on the trip and have an opportunity given to him … I would guess he’ll be 100% by the time we play New Mexico State.”

Injury updatesThe only player Gonzales said they were preparing to not have on Saturday is safety D’Arco Perkins-McAllister, who’s been sidelined with a back injury since the start of camp. As for everybody else? “Typical bumps and bruises,” Gonzales said.

Cornerback Hunter Sellers was listed on the depth chart Monday after missing the entirety of camp. Gonzales said he’s looked to be full speed since his return to practice but will likely start the season primarily in a role on special teams.

Rivalry aside

On Sunday, New Mexico State co-defensive coordinator Nate Dreiling announced via X (previously Twitter) that his wife, Alexa, was diagnosed with breast cancer earlier this month. Gonzales used part of his opening statement on Tuesday to offer his support.

“I think it’s awesome that they’re sharing her fight with breast cancer — my mother-in-law’s a breast cancer survivor,” Gonzales said. “So our prayers are with him and his family on this challenge they’re going to (endure). And I’m sure we’ll talk about it more in a couple of weeks but I just wanted them to know they’re getting prayers from up here in our football program.”

from Stats O War on Twitter:

F4tG29UaIAA2Zm8?format=jpg&name=4096x409

On 8/29/2023 at 6:44 AM, markstanco said:

He got butthurt and then way overvalued himself in the P5 market. When looking at a 6th year senior, most programs want to avoid a guy who throws 4 ints in a half at the end of his 5th year. There's film out there and plenty of d-coordinators who saw how we had to tailor the offense to his limited skillset. Granted he was really good most of the time within those limitations, and he'd have been way more sought after if he was say a 2nd or even 3rd year starter, but for a guy entering his 6th season, you'd want to see someone way more reliable. He's also never played a full season healthy. I truly hope he made some money from Freshwater 'cause the Oxford bench is the end of the line for him.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

Texas A&M plans facility near NASA to prepare for moon visits..

https://tinyurl.com/2cfucckl

The new team, which includes Ambrose, hopes to develop an indoor rock yard at the facility where they can simulate lighting conditions on the moon. On the lunar South Pole, where NASA missions intend to land, the sun is never more than 5 degrees above the horizon. This creates a blinding light when traveling toward the sun and mile-long shadows when traveling away from the sun.

New A&M moon campus!

• Haha 1

The new team, which includes Ambrose, hopes to develop an indoor rock yard at the facility where they can simulate lighting conditions on the moon. On the lunar South Pole, where NASA missions intend to land, the sun is never more than 5 degrees above the horizon. This creates a blinding light when traveling toward the sun and mile-long shadows when traveling away from the sun.
New A&M moon campus!
Maybe someone should tell them their bonfire will be a bit difficult to set ablaze on the moon? Or don't tell them, that may be better.

College sports top donors: Ranking the most generous athletics boosters

Posted on 8/30/23 at 4:57 pm
up vote1down vote0
bkm1.png
Per 247 Sports: 

quote:
Which universities have the most generous athletics boosters? According to total cumulative “donations and contributions” findings from 2005 through the 2022 season via USA Today and the Knight Commission, programs who receive the most from generous donors tend to have a heightened advantage against others through recruiting success, coaching prestige, facility enhancements and other upgrades. 
Only public universities were included in the findings since their financials are public.  

1. Oregon $969 million 

2. Texas A&M $849 million 

3. Texas $766 million 

4. Florida $763 million 

5. Georgia $716 million 

6. Oklahoma State (thanks T Boone) $670 million 

7. LSU $618 million 

8. Oklahoma $597 million  

9. Auburn $580 million 

10. Florida State $540 million 

LINK

11 hours ago, Crapinon said:

After the Rice thread devolved into intro music discussion, I realized this song would be perfect for A&M. It's got agriculture, trailer park, death, gays and Coors light. It covers a lot of their bases.  

Love me some Dead Milkmen...

"This is a tiny town... and we don't want you coming round..."

19 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

New A&M moon campus!

So Aggy is constructing a whole new building to learn how to use a sun visor when looking towards the sun and how to not use a sun visor when looking away from the sun??

• Haha 3