• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

50 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Lot more people from Jersey at Duke than aggy.

Can confirm, there are a shit ton of transplants from NY, NJ, PA, MA, and other states up that way here in RTP.

I think the only people from Jersey in Collie Station are the ones who took a wrong turn when they exited the rental car lot at Intercontinental Airport.

44 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Nah, Elko would be an idiot to turn down aggy.  He'll easily double his salary, plus no state income tax, plus football will never be the number one sport at Duke.

Listen, I get it, Durham is a much, much better place to live, but it's a dead end coaching job.  There's just not much upside to staying.

This was in response to @jimmyjazz

There's a certain type of personality who would be happy making X millions at Duke rather than 3X millions at aggy if only because of the lack of pressure. You can win 7 games per season at a place like Duke, and they will love you for it. (See also: Sonny Lubick.)

Of course, if you can swindle Aggy out of a $100M buyout, you head to B/CS, live cheap for a while, take it easy, and invest that shit. Cash out when they can you and retire at age 50 in style.

35 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

I started having PTSD flashbacks to 2014:

Almost every coach in the country got a raise off us that year, we went from "we're getting Saban!" to Jim Mora Jr. publicly turning us down (real offer or not) to settling for our "totally first choice the entire time, we swear" Charlie Strong. 

I'm gonna puke just thinking about that debacle.

You know why it's funny now? Because it's happening to aggy, not us. :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

I started having PTSD flashbacks to 2014:

Almost every coach in the country got a raise off us that year, we went from "we're getting Saban!" to Jim Mora Jr. publicly turning us down (real offer or not) to settling for our "totally first choice the entire time, we swear" Charlie Strong. 

I'm gonna puke just thinking about that debacle.

2010s era Texas football reminds me of some of the family conversations I've sat through at Thanksgiving:

"We shouldn't really talk about that right now..."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, allrightallrightallright said:

Because he has the same agent as stoops and he has leverage.  I’m sure Duke is countering

CORRECTION: Elko has told the players at Duke and his assistant coaches that he has been offered the job at Texas A&M but has indicated that he has yet to make a decision.

UPDATE: 4:53PM EST -- Mike Elko has not told the Duke administration that he is leaving at this time.

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

CORRECTION: Elko has told the players at Duke and his assistant coaches that he has been offered the job at Texas A&M but has indicated that he has yet to make a decision.

UPDATE: 4:53PM EST -- Mike Elko has not told the Duke administration that he is leaving at this time.

He has Bjork bent over a barrel. Bjork can't be publicly humiliated by a 7-5 coach twice so Elko can extract a king's ransom.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

image.gif.2e60a64d994f8ff49e23c957493097c7.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You can win 7 games per season at a place like Duke, and they will ignore you completely in favor of basketball for it. (See also: Sonny Lubick.)

Fify (but yeah, correct). I haven’t been to a game since we moved out here but it sounds like Duke is an atmosphere where kids wander in and out, they try to make the food an attraction, etc. There’s been some excitement this year but it is just not a football school even a little bit. 

14 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

There's a certain type of personality who would be happy making X millions at Duke rather than 3X millions at aggy if only because of the lack of pressure.

And that's not gonna be the ratio, assuming A&M doesn't completely tool this up, which they probably will.  If $3.5M is the current number, Duke will go $4.5M or so, and A&M will do what, $6M?  I wouldn't make that move.  

Of course, A&M will tool this up.

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

As much as it would be hilarious to see Elko stiff them after Aggie pre-announced thru TexAgs, I don’t want them to fall ass backwards into a better hire like Campbell. Let’s wrap up this hiring stat, so Elko can start stacking 8-4 seasons.  

I'm willing to risk it to see another 3 or 4 HC hiring proclamations by the looch. Everybody worth a shit in college has already told them no. Urban is the only guy that would worry me at this point, and they would probably have to change the name of the school to Texas U&M to get it done. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

And that's not gonna be the ratio, assuming A&M doesn't completely tool this up, which they probably will.  If $3.5M is the current number, Duke will go $4.5M or so, and A&M will do what, $6M?  I wouldn't make that move.  

They are destined to get this wrapped up in the axle.  Book it!

Elko would be a very good hire. If he’s waiting then there might be another job he wants. 

I don’t think some of y’all realize how difficult a job Duke is (for football). 

He and Steve Spurrier are the only coaches in the last 50 years to have a winning record there.

I really wish that Stoops hire had stuck.

13 minutes ago, Vermin said:

He has Bjork bent over a barrel. Bjork can't be publicly humiliated by a 7-5 coach twice so Elko can extract a king's ransom.

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Vermin has the right of it, though. The cost of the fuck-up yesterday for A&M means real dollars offered to Elko today, compounded by the idiocy of A&M yet again leaking the name before everything's settled. Elko's negotiating from a position of incredible strength right now, because A&M cannot at this point say, "Whoops! Fooled y'all again."

8 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As much as it would be hilarious to see Elko stiff them after Aggie pre-announced thru TexAgs, I don’t want them to fall ass backwards into a better hire like Campbell. Let’s wrap up this hiring stat, so Elko can start stacking 8-4 seasons.  

Campbell rejected them. Bjork already got his hand slapped for contacting a coach’s agent without going through normal channels.  Stoops. This whole thing has been a shit show. Aggie jokes just write themselves. 

Meanwhile, on Texags

FCBlitz

I want him to be demanding, disciplined and program oriented.

Cast out players who create divisiveness, are lazy and are prima Donna's. Reward players who move mountains for him, master his process and are unselfish to their teammates.

Have a coaching staff that is unified and that any one of them can implement game day management.

Those elements above will result in a national championship.

• Prepare your anus 1

8 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Elko would be a very good hire. If he’s waiting then there might be another job he wants. 

I don’t think some of y’all realize how difficult a job Duke is (for football). 

He and Steve Spurrier are the only coaches in the last 50 years to have a winning record there.

I really wish that Stoops hire had stuck.

Its more that I dont really care who the fuck they hire, because nobody is overcoming the 8-4ness of Texas 8&4.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1