• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Band performances are 5 mins to get on the field, 8 mins to perform, 2 mins to exit.  Max 15 minutes.  That's the UIL rule.  And that's at the end of the season when they know the entire show.  Earlier in the season it's less than that because they only know half the show.  Add three minutes for the drill team's performance.  That's not a lot of time to ask during a three hour event.

Also, in Austin ISD, most bands practice on parking lots.  They have no access to turf fields.  The shows they do at football games are important because being on turf is totally different than being on asphalt, and the competitions are all on turf fields.  You can see this in the first few games of the season where the kids are all over the place on the field.

It may not be your thing but it's important to the kids in the band and they are students at the school, enjoying their high school years.

I get bands practice on parking lots, I understand it is hard work, I have been to the last couple of years of games where my son plays and the band hasn't finished on time once. Add in fact that both bands perform and it is a mess. I have no issue with bands performing, it is the set pieces and staging that adds so much time. March on field, play march off. The scope creep of what band performances are today is symbolic for the creep of everything getting over the fucking top. It is not necessary. It is a HS football game not Austin Lyric Opera.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I get bands practice on parking lots, I understand it is hard work, I have been to the last couple of years of games where my son plays and the band hasn't finished on time once. Add in fact that both bands perform and it is a mess. I have no issue with bands performing, it is the set pieces and staging that adds so much time. March on field, play march off. The scope creep of what band performances are today is symbolic for the creep of everything getting over the fucking top. It is not necessary. It is a HS football game not Austin Lyric Opera.

If you go look at the Austin High vs Westlake game on Youtube, the football team leaves the field at about 1:20 into the video.  The bands are clear and the teams run back on at 1:51, 31 minutes total.  That game was right before the contest performance for both bands, and both Austin High and Westlake have drill teams and large bands with props, front ensembles, etc.  Maybe 500 people on and off the field with both schools combined.  Pretty much the worst case for halftime length.

If you go to one of the early season games, it's about 22 minutes for both bands and drill team.  It might feel like an hour to football parents but it's really not that long.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

Given the turmoil around A&M's legendary football program, I am extremely tempted to bet against them in the bowl. They are still 3 point favorites, I believe. I just can't wrap my arms around OSU winning, they are so bad.

That is getting very close to a Bruh Man level take.  

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

Having officiated TXHSFB, I concur that the halftime performances are too fucking long. They're only supposed to be 25 minutes, but almost ALWAYS run over, especially with the 5A and 6A schools. It's really bullshit - no offense.

Just do a standard marching routine at halftime of football games. Save the theater and props for band performances. Maybe the schools can sell tickets for that, too. Or not....(too cynical?)

I can agree with that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Agree here too.

and fuck aggy to stay on topic

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ANYway...

Screenshot_20231209_140910_Chrome.thumb.jpg.483567473aa76b0bafdba9d2027bd9d0.jpg

i've read this twice but i'm having trouble reconciling UT 'liberal junkhole' and what he imagines the Texas political landscape is with...reality 😐

they are really so dumb. 

Abbot, Paxton, Patrick, and Ted Cruz.  What a bunch of Liberal junk holes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, mchookem said:

ANYway...

Screenshot_20231209_140910_Chrome.thumb.jpg.483567473aa76b0bafdba9d2027bd9d0.jpg

i've read this twice but i'm having trouble reconciling UT 'liberal junkhole' and what he imagines the Texas political landscape is with...reality 😐

they are really so dumb. 

Eltife, Weaver, Perez...the more powerful regents.  Heads of Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (CEO & Chair), Milliken, Hartzell, et. al.  All Abbott folks up and down the list.  But apparently UT-Austin leadership is a liberal junkhole deep-state now?  Da fuh?  

noCR, but I can't for life of me imagine where Aggie fans get their inspiration to just mope around in public and online and blame the deep state and the media and other politicians for their lack of success.  Claiming victimhood, witch hunts, being exploited and targeted unfairly.  When all the while their entire lack of success and vitriolic levels of stupidity are the fault of nobody but themselves.  Wonder where they could have possibly picked that up as a strategy?

Some people need to finally notice that the only constant in every failure or loss in their lives, the consistent recurring factor keeping them from success and victory, is themselves.  When you finally accept that in sports, politics, or life itself...it can actually be very cathartic and liberating.  I mean, you still suck.  But at least you can let go of some baggage and die with dignity.  

• Hook 'Em 5

Good HS bands can be very good and entertaining. Agree with the scope creep. Back in the 80's hs bands were kind of required to have at least three different shows to get through the season and not have the administration call bull shit, not to mention homecoming etc. (Fyi hs band guy and Longhorn band guy).

Well, by the time my oldest started hs band in 2003 it had become the ridiculous phantasmagoric production you see today.

Not only that, back in the day the directors would write the show, and that was before there was any software for it etc.

Now, the parents have to fork over hundreds of dollars in "membership" fees in order to have a show commissioned and consultants for color guard and percussion just for their kids to be on band.

I had many a discussion with the band director over the flaws in their business model, but he wouldn't have it.

I had season tickets for years with my friends from LHB and I can't think of a single halftime show that we watched.

Aggy sucks.

• Hook 'Em 6

I'll add to this--why the hell not?

No one in the entire stadium but the band cares about the band. Not even band members' parents, at least not after the first performance of the season.

The band goes in front of a stadium of people and then does something purely for their own enjoyment. Basically, they jack off at midfield and then pretend you're a philistine for not enjoying it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck You 1

18 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I had figured aggy for an easy 8 wins in '24 with their schedule that features no games against UGA, Bama, or OU. With their roster implosion, though, I have reconsidered. They are in danger of missing bowl eligibility:

ND L -- aggy gets run off their own field

McNeese St W -- aggy controls the game for 4 quarters and proves they are big boys

@ UF L -- Pillow fight goes to the home team

Bowling Green W -- Looks like the Elk has figured things out and the world better look out

Arky @ Jerryworld W -- Gritty win over SEC team. World starts to see what aggy already knows. click click.

LSU L -- might have overlooked them and failed to account for being their superbowl

@ Auburn L -- another road loss; who could have foreseen it?

@ MSU toss-up -- chance to break the road losing streak

@USCe toss-up -- ditto

Mizzou L -- LOL

NMSU W -- The sips want no part of this smash mouth team

Texas L -- herp

O/U 5 wins, believable range 4-7

Agge only can get to bowls of late after joining the SEC  by stockpiling wins over FCS schools and SEC doormats ( though not always) .  Maybe they should join PAC 3 and lick their wounds for a few decades. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, El Squared said:

Agge only can get to bowls of late after joining the SEC  by stockpiling wins over FCS schools and SEC doormats ( though not always) .  Maybe they should join PAC 3 and lick their wounds for a few decades. 

Yes and thank you for your attempt at steering this thread way from HS marching band talk. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This post is as unnecessary as halftime band performances. I’m honestly not sure I’ve ever watched one, personally. If someone in a group I’m with is ever espousing “let’s stay in our seats for the band”, we’re unlikely to ever see that dipshit near our seats again. 
I remember the band dorks would tell us how much harder they had to work than we did as athletes. Nothing is more eyeroll inducing. Oh, you have to hit your marks and stay in tune while walking? I have to run full speed at other angry males and then we beat the shit out of each other for 3 hours before I go home and do homework. GTFO. I also never saw them during basketball and baseball season as their upperclassmen got honors credits for their dumbass 3 months of “hard work”. It’s a fucking grift, really. 

giphy.gif

Smoked green beans +/- bacon are awesome....an upgrade over the usual blandness. Just adding Italian dressing (and bacon)  kinda gussies them up to the point where IT MIGHT be worth choking them down. 

Don't care for green beans w/ French fried onions. I mean on a desert island w/ no other provisions, ok , but otherwise straight to the landfill....

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 2

I see you, you see me
Watch you blowin' the lines
When you're making a scene
Oh girl, you've got to know
What my head overlooks
The senses will show to my heart
When it's watching for lies
You can't escape my
Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you watching
You watching you watching you
You play with words you play with love
You can twist it around baby that ain't enough
'Cause girl I'm gonna know
If you're letting me in or letting me go
Don't lie when you're hurting inside
'Cause you can't escape my
Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
You watching you watching you
Why you try to put up a front for me
I'm a spy but on your side you see
Slip on, into any disguise
I'll still know you
Look into my
Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you

5 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

Band performances are 5 mins to get on the field, 8 mins to perform, 2 mins to exit.  Max 15 minutes.  That's the UIL rule.  And that's at the end of the season when they know the entire show.  Earlier in the season it's less than that because they only know half the show.  Add three minutes for the drill team's performance.  That's not a lot of time to ask during a three hour event.

Also, in Austin ISD, most bands practice on parking lots.  They have no access to turf fields.  The shows they do at football games are important because being on turf is totally different than being on asphalt, and the competitions are all on turf fields.  You can see this in the first few games of the season where the kids are all over the place on the field.

It may not be your thing but it's important to the kids in the band and they are students at the school, enjoying their high school years.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

11 minutes ago, El Squared said:

me thinks he is going full "Spinal Tap" there (for those who saw the movie)

Spinal Tap went full Robert Plant. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I see you, you see me
Watch you blowin' the lines
When you're making a scene
Oh girl, you've got to know
What my head overlooks
The senses will show to my heart
When it's watching for lies
You can't escape my Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
You watching you watching you You play with words you play with love
You can twist it around baby that ain't enough
'Cause girl I'm gonna know
If you're letting me in or letting me go
Don't lie when you're hurting inside
'Cause you can't escape my Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
You watching you watching you Why you try to put up a front for me
I'm a spy but on your side you see
Slip on, into any disguise
I'll still know you
Look into my Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you Private eyes
They're watching you
They see your every move
Private eyes
They're watching you
Private eyes
They're watching you

This is exactly why I love Surly! I’m Fng 50+ and love this place!

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, mchookem said:

ANYway...

they are really so dumb. 

The leftwing politicians of Texas are helping UT win at football? Well they have been exceptionally shitty at it for the past 14 years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MisterP said:

Nobody, and I mean Nobody, is at a fucking football game for the band. I dont give a shit if its 3 minutes. I would rather shit in a public toilet than waste two seconds watching that shit. It's like title 9, shoving band nerds and their feelings into the football because "we need everyone to feel nice".

Have you ever heard of band parents? 

image.thumb.jpeg.811de087d666ff5af4f29250e3898491.jpeg

• Haha 2