2022 Texas Coaching/Support Staff Thread

RaysBoomBoomRoom

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

this is what has me concerned about Sark.  He's a we're gonna run our shit guy.  He was literally forced into wildcat at the end of a gun.  for god's sake change some shit up and maybe we get a couple more wins.  how can you be a OC/Head Coach at this level at this time and not know wildcat inside and out?  its not the triple option or wishbone.  it's also why the second half collapses didn't shock me.  good DC's will stop your shit if you don't adjust.  yeah, I know, but what about Bama?  it will be years before we are in Bama's personnel position.  he could run his shit and eventually it would work. 

not firing PK or at least someone on defense is the icing on the cake.  epically awful.

the fortunate recruiting close with the great NIL stuff and Cristobal bolting for Miami may save him but I'm not really seeing a guy who is really ready to cut shitty coaches(Coleman was a Herman holdover). Hell he couldn't even fire Harris(going by what CTJ is saying it appears to be very warranted).

Yeah, because the one thing we need to worry about is Sarkisian's stuff not working with the right personnel. The only reason he went WC is because Casey Thompson was a shit QB who couldn't throw the ball accurately 10 yards down the field by the end of the season. Even against KSU, Thompson was allowed to do some things until he threw that horrible INT and Sarkisian took the ball out of his hands.

• Hook 'Em 4

We figured out in game 12 that are only path to a 5 point victory against a below average Big 12 team was to literally take the ball out of our QB's hands and start snapping it directly to one of the only players on the roster who has any heart.

The objective is to find that path to victory in as many games as you can. Instead we found a way to lose 5 very winnable games. In 3 of those we had comfortable leads into the 2 nd half. Yes, the defense played the greatest part, but we had way too many 3 and outs in part because we forced it to two players. Some argued that the defense wore out because all our drives were quick strikes. The wildcat offered an alternative to assist in both those aspects. I know RoSchon was banged up yet he played so he obviously wasn’t too hurt.

My point was never that the wildcat was something you run out every half as a base offense, but it sure as shit was a useful weapon that was likely underutilized this season. Yes, it’s a change up. And I’d sure as hell have it teed up as an option for Bama. It’s not about forcing it either. We have great skill guys for that set.

There’s a lot of bitching on here about the best players playing. Roschon is certainly one of our best yet he and Bijan weren’t often on the field at the same time.

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

That's what concerns you? Every coach ever is a 'run my shit' guy. He's going to run what he knows and what has been successful before and what is implemented in the game plan. No coach ever majors in something they aren't familiar with. The wildcat is a change-up. It should never be a fastball. It worked against Kansas State because they were not expecting it and they are a below average football team who were dropping defenders into Cedar Park out of fear that Casey Thompson was somehow going to throw one of his moon balls over their heads. The 4th and 1 at Arkansas and 3rd and 1 against OSU far from automatic wins if we converted. We were trailing both games (and by a wide margin in the Arkansas game).  Roschon Johnson wasn't even healthy the previous 3 weeks leading up to the Kansas State game so the opportunities to run it more weren't there.

It's a nice wrinkle to have and I'm sure it will be in the playbook next year, but it's not something you hang your hat on to get out of offensive funks against competent opponents. It's most successful when it's set up well by picking up yards with your base offense.

yeah, that is what is concerns me....well that and the dude averages 7 wins a year as a head coach.

6 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

*Wild cat works one game against a shitty K State team* SARK IS AN IDIOT NEW OFFENSE RABBLE RABBLE 

This is what concerns me. Under no circumstances should this team have an identity. I’m all for the Jackson Polluck of clarity. That’s the making of a championship.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Had Enough said:

The objective is to find that path to victory in as many games as you can. Instead we found a way to lose 5 very winnable games. In 3 of those we had comfortable leads into the 2 nd half. Yes, the defense played the greatest part, but we had way too many 3 and outs in part because we forced it to two players. Some argued that the defense wore out because all our drives were quick strikes. The wildcat offered an alternative to assist in both those aspects. I know RoSchon was banged up yet he played so he obviously wasn’t too hurt.

My point was never that the wildcat was something you run out every half as a base offense, but it sure as shit was a useful weapon that was likely underutilized this season. Yes, it’s a change up. And I’d sure as hell have it teed up as an option for Bama. It’s not about forcing it either. We have great skill guys for that set.

There’s a lot of bitching on here about the best players playing. Roschon is certainly one of our best yet he and Bijan weren’t often on the field at the same time.

Just going to go out on a limb here. The defense gave up 35.5 pts a game vs the P5. The wildcat offense scored 22. That isnt an amazing output. I know, it was a "winning offense".  This maybe some bat shit crazy thinking, but perhaps the defense giving up 18.5 less pts than average (17 pts) gave Sark the ability to be patient on offense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

How do we feel about this staff as a developmental staff?  Their backgrounds seem to say they can develop.  Per CTJ, A&M thought this staff was good enough to go full bag game.

Recruiting is super important.  Yet I don't think it's been the key issue in our mediocrity.

I'd like to hear more on that side of things if anyone has anything to offer.

FWIW, I thought the OL improved from putrid to tolerable over the course of the year.  Tope Imade's comments on Flood also give me some hope.

I just feel like recruiting is super visible to everyone and it's important but not our main area of weakness.

1 minute ago, burdine said:

How do we feel about this staff as a developmental staff?  Their backgrounds seem to say they can develop.  Per CTJ, A&M thought this staff was good enough to go full bag game.

Recruiting is super important.  Yet I don't think it's been the key issue in our mediocrity.

I'd like to hear more on that side of things if anyone has anything to offer.

FWIW, I thought the OL improved from putrid to tolerable over the course of the year.  Tope Imade's comments on Flood also give me some hope.

I just feel like recruiting is super visible to everyone and it's important but not our main area of weakness.

Kind of disappointed in DL play not sure how much of it is Bo vs Scheme but I thought he’d have Sweat and Collins dominating this year. Also disappointed in TE play considering that Banks makes 1 million dollars, but he’s mainly a ST guy and they were the strength of the team so it’s whatever. I don’t know why we have a safeties coach it seemed like we played with 9 men all year.

4 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Kind of disappointed in DL play not sure how much of it is Bo vs Scheme but I thought he’d have Sweat and Collins dominating this year. Also disappointed in TE play considering that Banks makes 1 million dollars, but he’s mainly a ST guy and they were the strength of the team so it’s whatever. I don’t know why we have a safeties coach it seemed like we played with 9 men all year.

I give TE a pass. Brewer was Brewer by the time Banks got him. Wiley seemed more about Wiley, than coaching. He actually decided to try the blocking thing vs KSU, so I am not sure what to say there. DL was probably a mixture of a lot of things. Outside of Collins none of them are pass rushers. Pad level was inconsistent, but LB and edge play was horrific also. Hard to get noticed as a DT when the edges are open for business and for the 5th straight year LBs show no idea how to play zone blocking and double teams. 

• Like 1

Bo has been around long enough that he's probably deployed his lineman in every scheme imaginable. I have a strong suspicion the struggles we saw up front are player related. I would be very pleased next year if I did not have to see Vernon Broughton stand directly vertical at the snap and hand fight.

I still am slightly worried that Georgia and Muschamp may try to make a run at Bo if their DL coach bolts for OU. Apparently that is who Venables is targeting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burdine said:

FWIW, I thought the OL improved from putrid to tolerable over the course of the year. 

That's being generous to call the O'line tolerable at any point in the season.  It was really bad.  

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Kind of disappointed in DL play not sure how much of it is Bo vs Scheme but I thought he’d have Sweat and Collins dominating this year.

100% agree with this.  DL was a huge disappointment this year .  

16 hours ago, dcar00 said:

this is what has me concerned about Sark.  He's a we're gonna run our shit guy.  He was literally forced into wildcat at the end of a gun.  for god's sake change some shit up and maybe we get a couple more wins.  how can you be a OC/Head Coach at this level at this time and not know wildcat inside and out?  its not the triple option or wishbone.  it's also why the second half collapses didn't shock me.  good DC's will stop your shit if you don't adjust.  yeah, I know, but what about Bama?  it will be years before we are in Bama's personnel position.  he could run his shit and eventually it would work. 

not firing PK or at least someone on defense is the icing on the cake.  epically awful.

the fortunate recruiting close with the great NIL stuff and Cristobal bolting for Miami may save him but I'm not really seeing a guy who is really ready to cut shitty coaches(Coleman was a Herman holdover). Hell he couldn't even fire Harris(going by what CTJ is saying it appears to be very warranted).

I teter between DCs stopping his shit and Sark unable to adjust versus DCs with superior units eventually overcoming his best schematic tricks and Sark having nothing left in the bag. Next year will be very interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

That's being generous to call the O'line tolerable at any point in the season.  It was really bad.  

100% agree with this.  DL was a huge disappointment this year .  

Texas ran for 412 yards on 72 carries the last 2 games vs KSU and WVU. That is 5.72 yards per and both defenses gave up under 4 yards per carry on the season. That is with the entire free world knowing that Sark didnt trust his QBs. 

According to Football

Average Line Yards:  12th

Stuff rate: 13th

Passing down sack rate: 47th

It is one reason why I think with decent QB play that OL will look better next year

• Hook 'Em 6

19 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Texas ran for 412 yards on 72 carries the last 2 games vs KSU and WVU. That is 5.72 yards per and both defenses gave up under 4 yards per carry on the season. That is with the entire free world knowing that Sark didnt trust his QBs. 

With two different running backs, neither named Bijan.

• Hook 'Em 2

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

No doubt a good QB can make an O'line better,  but there is a reason we took 7 maybe 8 O'line this class.

Even if the line was pretty good last year this staff would have taken 7. They are trying to rebuild and be elite on both sides. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The OL improved as the year went along. I know we aren't used to seeing that type of stuff at Texas so it's probably a shock to many people's eyes. Flood is a damn good coach and I expect the unit to be solid next year.

The OL played good enough to win in probably 4 or 5 of the 7 losses.

QB play and the defense let this team down way more than the OL.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The OL improved as the year went along. I know we aren't used to seeing that type of stuff at Texas so it's probably a shock to many people's eyes. Flood is a damn good coach and I expect the unit to be solid next year.

To my untrained eye, I agree that the line seemed to improve over the course of the season.  

Additionally, there were a lot of variables at play beyond Flood’s coaching that affected the unit’s performance.  In the beginning of the year, we had QB uncertainty and did not scheme to the unit’s strengths (I.e., insisting on running inside zone compared to outside zone).  When we finally began to adapt the scheme to some success, we suffered from OL injuries, qb regression, defensive lapses and motivational problems.  

Combined with the glowing assessments of Flood from current players and his industry reputation, there are reasons to be optimistic.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I think this staff's established strengths would be OL development, offensive playcalling and QB development.

I think this is a reasonable starting foundation.

Not a finished product though.

Much will need to be done in other areas obviously.

I think any optimism for this staff starts with these three areas.

EDIT :  I think I would add Special Teams as well.

Edited by burdine
  • Like 1

Just going to go out on a limb here. The defense gave up 35.5 pts a game vs the P5. The wildcat offense scored 22. That isnt an amazing output. I know, it was a "winning offense".  This maybe some bat shit crazy thinking, but perhaps the defense giving up 18.5 less pts than average (17 pts) gave Sark the ability to be patient on offense. 

We played complementary “winning” football. The defense was aided by a poor backup QB who couldn’t throw. 22 points is nothing great but points per possession was equal to the Baylor game and slightly better than OKState. Way better than Iowa State and basically equal to WVU. Then there was KU. That KSU game wasn’t about the wildcat but a poor QB for KSU and a dedication to the run game, which included some wildcat. In my opinion, the longer drives were a result of personnel limitations and dedication to the run game. Not the wildcat specifically. Not drastic improvement in Oline play (we gave up more TFL in the run game vs KState than any other team but Pig).

KState had 17 points at half. Only OU, WVU and KU had more at the half. And only KU had markedly more at the half. We had a shit ton of points at half versus OU. The Pig game was done entering the 4th quarter as was ISU. Otherwise only the KU game dictated a lack of patience from our offense.

Not sure how this got to the recruiting board anyway.

Until we load the roster. Find a way to win. Something everybody knows Sark hasn’t done.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

We played complementary “winning” football. The defense was aided by a poor backup QB who couldn’t throw. 22 points is nothing great but points per possession was equal to the Baylor game and slightly better than OKState. Way better than Iowa State and basically equal to WVU. Then there was KU. That KSU game wasn’t about the wildcat but a poor QB for KSU and a dedication to the run game, which included some wildcat. In my opinion, the longer drives were a result of personnel limitations and dedication to the run game. Not the wildcat specifically. Not drastic improvement in Oline play (we gave up more TFL in the run game vs KState than any other team but Pig).

KState had 17 points at half. Only OU, WVU and KU had more at the half. And only KU had markedly more at the half. We had a shit ton of points at half versus OU. The Pig game was done entering the 4th quarter as was ISU. Otherwise only the KU game dictated a lack of patience from our offense.

Until we load the roster. Find a way to win. Something everybody knows Sark hasn’t done.

I am not sure why you dont think the OL played better. Using TFLs as the only barometer is very odd. Texas had 4 games where they gave up more TFL's per rush than the KSU game (ISU, Ark, OSU, OU). I would believe most fans that saw those 4 games would agree the OL was better vs KSU. Main difference being the OL averaged 4.75 yards per carry.  My point was the defense made stops in the KSU game, so the offense did not have much pressure. In fact Texas was never down more than 1 pt in the 2nd half. Texas had issues in the 2nd half all year, because the defense generally withered away and died in the 2nd half (Texas was 107th in 2nd half pts allowed) and the offense collapsed on the pressure to score every drive. Complimentary football is thrown around  a lot and doesnt mean much. VS OU it meant score on every possession for the offense. VS KSU, it meant avoid turnovers and play conservative. Very odd that people say the offense didnt play complimentary football this year, but think the defense giving up score after score in the 2nd half of games was holding up their end of the complimentary football argument. I think complimentary football is an excuse the majority of the time it is used, mostly to shield one unit from scrutiny. Never heard the term mentioned when both units play at a high level. 

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There is no doubt that the big was the biggest issue and it wasn't even close.

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

With two different running backs, neither named Bijan.

Now imagine if had just renamed them Bijan!

• Haha 1

I am not sure why you dont think the OL played better. Using TFLs as the only barometer is very odd. Texas had 4 games where they gave up more TFL's per rush than the KSU game (ISU, Ark, OSU, OU). I would believe most fans that saw those 4 games would agree the OL was better vs KSU. Main difference being the OL averaged 4.75 yards per carry.  My point was the defense made stops in the KSU game, so the offense did not have much pressure. In fact Texas was never down more than 1 pt in the 2nd half. Texas had issues in the 2nd half all year, because the defense generally withered away and died in the 2nd half (Texas was 107th in 2nd half pts allowed) and the offense collapsed on the pressure to score every drive. Complimentary football is thrown around  a lot and doesnt mean much. VS OU it meant score on every possession for the offense. VS KSU, it meant avoid turnovers and play conservative. Very odd that people say the offense didnt play complimentary football this year, but think the defense giving up score after score in the 2nd half of games was holding up their end of the complimentary football argument. I think complimentary football is an excuse the majority of the time it is used, mostly to shield one unit from scrutiny. Never heard the term mentioned when both units play at a high level. 

I’ve been an ardent supporter of the Oline for the entirety of the season. I’ve never said they were great or dominant, but they’ve had fits of being damn good throughout the entirety of the season. My point has been they aren’t shitty. And sometimes when they look that way it’s other non-Oline dudes. Then yes there is the far too often whiff at Tackle.

The run blocking stats are favorable and were prior to KState. TFLs are legit numbers and not some grading subject to bias of the grader. I backed out the sacks to arrive at my numbers. We were talking about the run game so that’s why I did that. It’s possible there are some pass plays mixed in the TFL numbers too. Once you do that, we had 8 TFLs against us at KSU in 43 rushing attempts. 8 out of 37 vs Pig. 4 out of 30 vs OSU. 2 out 23 vs OU. 2 of 25 vs BU. 3 of 30 vs ISU. Even including sacks KSU looks to be the second worst game for negative plays. We were good vs Rice and Tech. Then Okafor goes down, and we move Kerstetter inside.

We are ranked 13th overall in Stuff Rate. That rate worsened due to the KSU game. Average line yards was top 15 for the season.

We may have blocked better versus KState, but there are verifiable numbers that say otherwise. And it wasn’t substantially better if it was.

I’m not excusing the defense because well you can’t. Yes, they finally made a play. Or 3 or 4. And Coburn impacted 3 of those. I’m not certain that was anything but a team who couldn’t or wouldn’t throw the ball. And if it’s anybody but Deuce on at least one of those carries, they likely convert one.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’ve been an ardent supporter of the Oline for the entirety of the season. I’ve never said they were great or dominant, but they’ve had fits of being damn good throughout the entirety of the season. My point has been they aren’t shitty. And sometimes when they look that way it’s other non-Oline dudes. Then yes there is the far too often whiff at Tackle.

The run blocking stats are favorable and were prior to KState. TFLs are legit numbers and not some grading subject to bias of the grader. I backed out the sacks to arrive at my numbers. We were talking about the run game so that’s why I did that. It’s possible there are some pass plays mixed in the TFL numbers too. Once you do that, we had 8 TFLs against us at KSU in 43 rushing attempts. 8 out of 37 vs Pig. 4 out of 30 vs OSU. 2 out 23 vs OU. 2 of 25 vs BU. 3 of 30 vs ISU. Even including sacks KSU looks to be the second worst game for negative plays. We were good vs Rice and Tech. Then Okafor goes down, and we move Kerstetter inside.

We are ranked 13th overall in Stuff Rate. That rate worsened due to the KSU game. Average line yards was top 15 for the season.

We may have blocked better versus KState, but there are verifiable numbers that say otherwise. And it wasn’t substantially better if it was.

I’m not excusing the defense because well you can’t. Yes, they finally made a play. Or 3 or 4. And Coburn impacted 3 of those. I’m not certain that was anything but a team who couldn’t or wouldn’t throw the ball. And if it’s anybody but Deuce on at least one of those carries, they likely convert one.

Very interesting, but if your stats think the Texas OL blocked better vs ISU and Ark than KSU, you are focusing on a singular branch of a tree and missing the forest. 

11 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Very interesting, but if your stats think the Texas OL blocked better vs ISU and Ark than KSU, you are focusing on a singular branch of a tree and missing the forest. 

They probably did block better but unfortunately that blocking occured 3-4 yards behind the LOS after they were blown off of it, haha.

16 hours ago, Had Enough said:

PPD information (excluding garbage, etc) below:

FFQfTj8XMAM3NfL?format=png&name=large

differentials:

FFQghVFWYAEZlQ3?format=png&name=large

the defense is going to be really not good as long as the team continues to create basically no HAVOC (TFL, passes defended, forced fumbles) literally no one from Texas was on this list.

tweet:

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

differentials:

the defense is going to be really not good as long as the team continues to create basically no HAVOC (TFL, passes defended, forced fumbles) literally no one from Texas was on this list.

Looking for Texas players like:

glare-cant-see.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, NoName said:

differentials:

tweet:

all I can say is how in the fuck did we lose to fucking Kansas...unbelievable.