Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

Is purposely exposing a kid with peanut allergies to peanuts similar to raping a kid with a broomstick? When does hazing cross the line? 

https://foxsanantonio.com/news/local/7-students-arrested-in-la-vernia-hazing-scandal-more-victims-expected-to-come-forward

Kids were holding them down in the locker rooms, there was a lookout at the door watching for coaches not to come. They hold them down and stick various items up their rectum... including coke bottles, deodorant bottles, steel pipes, baseball bats and broom sticks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

8 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

As a parent of a child with a peanut allergy, fuck that. Look if he said some stupid shit on video then I get it but we are literally talking about life and death, of which he was aparently aware. Now if there is new information in the future that refutes his involvement and or his understanding of the seriousness of the allergy then we can talk about it being terrible for him.

Some school will end up taking him anyway we know how this shit goes.

The only thing I will say is that the extent of the allergy may not have been known. If someone comes to me and says "Hey, even the very sight of a peanut could kill me. It is really serious.", my next rational thought is not going to be how to smear peanut products all over him as a joke. But if I think a kid might just break out in hives if he eats a peanut, then the prank is within the realm of just being a dumbass. I seriously doubt there was true malicious intent to put the kid's life in danger. But I could also be wrong and the kid is a Charles Manson junior cadet.  

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

As a parent of a child with a peanut allergy, fuck that. Look if he said some stupid shit on video then I get it but we are literally talking about life and death, of which he was aparently aware. Now if there is new information in the future that refutes his involvement and or his understanding of the seriousness of the allergy then we can talk about it being terrible for him.

Some school will end up taking him anyway we know how this shit goes.

I have a kid with severe tree nut allergies as well. 

3 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

The kid is lucky he's not being charged with a felony.  I get young kids do dumb things, and I was no exception at that age, but this goes way beyond "dumb kid stuff."

I'm not equivocating for the guy. I didn't classify what he allegedly did as a "boys being boys" thing. Hell, I shut down a longstanding hazing routine at my high school when I was a senior in HS so I don't even buy that kind of shit in general. You can be 16/17 YO and proactively do the right thing instead of the crowd pleasing thing.

That said, I stand by my position that having his life go into a psychotic tailspin and getting drug in public because he *almost* did something terrible is a brutal punishment for anyone, especially a minor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

- Our coaches didn't know about this highly publicized thing that happened in Austin and the players found out before they did.
- Our coaches knew and didn't care until the players put public pressure on them.

Not sure I like either option.

I'm HOPING that the players' unified public condemnation wasn't because they weren't being listened to privately.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

- Our coaches didn't know about this highly publicized thing that happened in Austin and the players found out before they did.
- Our coaches knew and didn't care until the players put public pressure on them.

I'm HOPING that the players' unified public condemnation wasn't because they weren't being listened to privately.

I think the implication is that they did not know about the event until after their offer - not that they did not know until now.  The statement doesn't say they just stopped recruiting him today.  They probably stopped recruiting him when they found out, but then felt the need to answer questions about it after players started tweeting about it.

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Ketch and Anwar

image.gif.729a8181ee51795cdc000ca8a8dcb1ac.gif

43 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I seriously doubt there was true malicious intent to put the kid's life in danger. But I could also be wrong and the kid is a Charles Manson junior cadet.  

Pretty thoroughly reported in every article I’ve read that the kid was asked about severity and he said it would immediately kill him.

• Hook 'Em 5

No one outside of Lake Travis would be talking about this if the kid wasn't a 4-star D1 football prospect. He's basically a public figure at this point, and he needs to learn to act accordingly. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, you dipshit.

Also, his mom is on the board of some sort of OU athletics support/booster bullshit. Even if he hadn't almost killed a teammate, he was probably never gonna come here. 

• Hook 'Em 6

I’m well-known around here as a staunch supporter of any homie trying to make it big in football. That said, fuck this guy. Plenty of kids his age face life-ruining legal consequences over far more innocuous mistakes. He should be beyond grateful that the worst he’ll get is some name calling online and a loss of a scholarship.

• Hook 'Em 9

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That said, I stand by my position that having his life go into a psychotic tailspin and getting drug in public because he *almost* did something terrible is a brutal punishment for anyone, especially a minor.

He didn't almost do something terrible. He did something terrible and it almost ended in disaster if not for being found out beforehand. 

I don't really buy that he didn't know how severe it could be. When I was 15 in the late 90s there was a kid in my grade with severe nut allergies. I couldn't stand the kid, he was a dickhead, but I still never once contemplated poisoning him with peanuts because we were all aware it could kill him. 25 years ago. 

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Coaches may have known about the incident but not the severity of it. It appeared LT covered it up and only gave the kid a 1 game suspension until the peanut kid's mom recently went nuclear on social media, right?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

247 even took off their rating for him. They won't even bother with him. 

Also, his mom is saying he's still being bullied because it got out. Fuck the players at that school. They're North Shore of Austin. We don't need dipshits on the team who won't live up to their rating, anyway. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Like the article says, there's a great culture built right now, and our dudes aren't into that shit like they're Baylor or Northwestern. I like this team. Sark has really built something, so I highly doubt the coaches knew and didn't react until the players privately told them to pull his offer. You don't think Sark has built this strong culture and would bring a kid in like that, do you? Hazing is Hazing, and Texas players and coaches don't want a douchebag in the locker room. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

Seems like this will all be someone else's problem. Good. 

What bothers me about this whole thing is the parents.

Kids are morons and some are vicious morons. I don't think they should get a pass, but I also get where @closetojumping is coming from. People change, learn, and grow over time - no one more than teenagers - and there is now a very public record of this kid acting like a terrible person that will follow him for a long time. Maybe forever. That seems disproportionate to the harm he actually caused. Not saying to take it easy on the little shit, more that I'm just glad I was an idiot teenager before social media became a thing. 

But the parents. And the coaches, teachers, and administrators. What the fuck. I said people can grow and change, but that can only happen if there are consequences for their actions. This fucking guy could have killed someone. Has anyone driven that fact home to him? Has anyone sat him down and explained how badly he almost fucked up the lives of everyone involved? Killing someone else isn't the kind of thing you get to move on from. Even if you avoid jail, you will forever be the person who bullied someone to death. I tell my kids - you are what you do. Not your intentions, or what you say, or think, or how you see yourself. And if you bully someone to death, that is who you are. Doesn't matter if you didn't mean it. But someone has to explain that fact to this kid in no uncertain terms for him to have that epiphany and change.

It doesn't seem like this kid has learned any lesson. There's no indication that he apologized, learned from this, and made amends. No one really punished him. So part of me is glad he's getting dragged on twitter - it's a shame that a bunch of strangers on the internet have to create the consequences necessary for this kid to learn that what he did was bad, but at least it's fucking happening. At least maybe now he'll understand and won't do it again.

Anyway, like I said. I'm glad this is now someone else's problem.  

The mom, Shawna Mannon, has said Carter is facing backlash and retaliation daily. That's beyond fucked up. The coaches. The administration, and the players/other kids clearly haven't had anything other than a slap on the wrist, at worst. That school, like many others, has failed another kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, irishtexan said:

No one outside of Lake Travis would be talking about this if the kid wasn't a 4-star D1 football prospect. He's basically a public figure at this point, and he needs to learn to act accordingly. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, you dipshit.

Also, his mom is on the board of some sort of OU athletics support/booster bullshit. Even if he hadn't almost killed a teammate, he was probably never gonna come here. 

The mom is probably upset because:

-They won’t be able to use Texas’ interest when negotiating an initial bag from OU boosters.

-The publicity may affect his long term NIL ceiling.

She suck’s as a human being, but she’s a Sooner, so saying that may be redundant.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

I hope the kid rehabilitates and has a productive life as a contributing member of society. Just not at UT. 

If Christian Slater & Winona Ryder went to Lake Travis, he wouldn’t even make it to his high school graduation.

image.jpeg.1f7b7a0443749bd00bc10854fc11b795.jpeg

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

If Christian Slater & Winona Ryder went to Lake Travis, he wouldn’t even make it to his high school graduation.

image.jpeg.1f7b7a0443749bd00bc10854fc11b795.jpeg

His name is Gus. Imagine being named Gus and bullying someone. On name alone he should be shoved into a locker. He's a huge dweeb who's insecure so he feels like he has to take out being named Gus on others. His mom should be shoved into a mini van and bukkake'd 

• Hook 'Em 1

Question.     

When did peanut allergies become a thing?   I’m getting close to “olds” status (52) to some around here and when I was kid I never heard of anyone  nearly dying from peanuts or even being in the vicinity of peanuts. 

That being said there is no excuse for taking advantage of someone who is allergic to them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This seems not great

I admittedly haven’t done much homework on Rink but at first glance he is listed at 6’1 260. Seems like we’ve been pretty lukewarm with our interest for a while and haven’t some 9.95ers been saying Sarkisian wants to get bigger at DT?

• Hook 'Em 5

Houston recruiting confidential via The Athletic. Sarkisian, Banks, Flood and Gideon all mentioned.

Spoiler

Last month, Houston was the center of the college football universe, hosting the final national championship game of the four-team College Football Playoff era.

But no matter what time of year it is, Houston is a key city in the sport’s landscape. The greater Houston area produces as much college football talent as anywhere in the country. Of the 351 Texas prospects ranked in the 247Sports Composite in the 2024 class, 99 are from the Houston metro area. Fifty-six of those Houston prospects signed with Power 5 programs, and at least 94 earned scholarships to FBS schools.

To get a sense of who recruits Houston the best and how the sport’s biggest changes are impacting the city’s recruiting dynamics, The Athletic spoke with eight high school coaches in every corner of the metro area, from Houston proper to the suburbs, on various topics. They were granted anonymity in exchange for their candor.

Coach 1: A high school head coach
Coach 2: A high school head coach
Coach 3: A high school assistant coach
Coach 4: A high school head coach
Coach 5: A high school assistant coach
Coach 6: A high school head coach
Coach 7: A high school assistant coach
Coach 8: A high school head coach

Which programs in the state do the best job recruiting the Houston area?

Coach 1: Texas A&M, Texas Tech and Texas. Texas A&M has done a pretty good job in the last few years of trying to lock Houston down.

Coach 2: Texas A&M and Texas. They all get around: Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, UTSA, Abilene Christian, they’re all over Houston.

Coach 3: Texas Tech. Their coaches are always checking up (on recruits). They’re aggressive and going and getting ’em.

Coach 4: Rice, Baylor and TCU.

Coach 5: Coach (Willie) Fritz, as soon as he got to Houston, his guys were very visible all around the Houston area. It’s a difference, immediately, from what we’ve seen in the past. Rice is a lot more visible, too. Of course, Texas and Texas A&M are always going to be around, TCU, Texas Tech, Texas State, UTSA.

Coach 6: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Houston all come by. Each school has a different coach that is a really good recruiter who does a good job of staying in contact, whether you have (their caliber) players or not.

Coach 7: In the last cycle we’ve seen Texas, Texas A&M and Houston the most. Texas has gone above and beyond in the last 9-10 months to make sure the big guys in Houston stay in Texas.

Coach 8: UTSA and North Texas have done a great job. Houston has done a pretty good job, both the previous staff and the new staff.

Which programs would you like to see more of?

Coach 1: SMU, I think they’ve tried to lock down Dallas more. Houston (also), but they’ve done a better job of late since Willie Fritz came in.

Coach 2: Prairie View A&M and Texas Southern don’t come by as much.

Coach 3: Before GJ Kinne took over it was Texas State. In five years (at my previous school), I saw them one time. But since Kinne got there, they’ve been coming by. A&M didn’t come by as much under Jimbo (Fisher). They mostly only called on the phone. I guess they had better things to do than go by every school and probably just concentrated on what they were doing.

Coach 4: I’d like to see A&M more. I didn’t even know who the A&M recruiter was for my area (under Fisher), and I’ve had some A&M-worthy guys.

Coach 5: The one we haven’t seen a bunch of is Sam Houston.

Coach 6: When an A&M coach came through (recently), it was only the second time I’ve seen an A&M coach come through in four years. Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma all come by here at least once a year, sometimes twice. Texas comes by here, and the rest of the state schools as well. So to have A&M an hour and a half away and not stop by was just ridiculous.

Coach 8: I haven’t seen Texas Southern or Prairie View come through. I don’t know if they just gave it up or what. It makes no sense.

How is the approach of Mike Elko and his staff different from Jimbo Fisher and his staff?

Coach 1: (The new staff) has been out there. They’ve focused more on the state of Texas, whereas before with Jimbo, they trended to more national recruiting. It sounds like they’re going less (recruiting) stars and trying to focus more on getting kids who love ball, quality kids. That better fits Elko’s personality.

Coach 2: I’ve seen Elko more than I saw Jimbo Fisher. I saw Elko a couple times (since December) whereas I met Jimbo Fisher one time in all the years that he was at A&M.

Coach 3: They’ve gotten out. (Running backs coach) Trooper Taylor came by recently and watched our offseason workouts. They’re going into schools a lot more.

Coach 5: It’s about the same from everything we’ve seen. Coach Elko came by in December to talk to us. It looks like the early returns are pretty good there.

Coach 6: The new staff is so much more personable. The (assistant) coach from the previous staff that (was assigned) our area, I felt had a kind of a big-timer approach. I don’t think Jimbo ever connected with the high school coaches. Their recruiting approach did not follow the traditional path … it was more about finding the who’s who, signing big-named guys and not truly evaluating them. I think Elko has a little more blue-collar approach and will connect and resonate with the high school coaches. When they came by (recently), they had a great approach.

Coach 8: The previous staff recruited us pretty hard. But I think the new staff probably has a better grasp on how to recruit the state of Texas and Houston than the previous staff did. I don’t think the previous staff, particularly the head coach, understood how it works here.

Which of the Group of 5 programs in Texas do the best job?

Coach 2: UTSA and Texas State do a great job. They’re really good about building relationships with kids and coaches. They’re active and always come by.

Coach 3: UTSA. They’re all over it. They always visit, they call, they have a good social media presence, they even send the kids old-school mail.

Coach 4: UTSA and Rice. Coach (Mike) Bloomgren and his staff do a tremendous job of building relationships. They stop by your school even if you don’t have anyone they’re interested in.

Coach 5: UTSA. Rice has been around a lot in the last year. Texas State has done a pretty good job since Kinne took over. You see them a whole lot more than you did before that. And it’s not a huge sample size yet, but since (Scotty Walden) got there, UTEP has been all over the place.

Coach 6: Rice and UTSA. I think Bloomgren does a tremendous job. (Jeff) Traylor’s staff, for a school at the G5 level, they’re working it. And they do it with a personable approach. Some schools, it’s more like they’re checking off the list and shaking hands because they have to and it’s not genuine. With UTSA, it feels genuine.

Coach 7: UTSA has done the best job around here. Rice, with (linebackers coach) Jon Kay knowing everybody, has done well. He’s not one of those guys who’s like, “Hey, I know you, so I’m not going to come by.” He still comes by and spends an hour, two hours, talking to coaches, expressing what they need and are looking for. North Texas is doing a good job as well, (special teams coach) Drew Svoboda recently came by and spent a couple of hours.

Coach 8: UTSA, North Texas and Rice.

Which head coach in the state is the best recruiter?

Coach 1: (Texas’ Steve Sarkisian). He gets it. He can talk (to players), he knows what he wants. He has that charisma and he’s relentless.

Coach 2: Sarkisian does a good job. Joey McGuire does a good job. They try to be personable and get to know the kids and the coaching staffs.

Coach 3: Jeff Traylor and Joey McGuire are good. Those guys have been around Texas for so long. Willie Fritz is on a roll. I see pictures all over the internet of Willie at this high school, Willie at that high school.

Coach 4: Jeff Traylor. Personable, great all-around guy. Long term, I think it’ll end up being Willie Fritz. He’s a people person. I had heard nothing but great things about him and when I finally got to meet him, we sat and talked for about an hour and a half. He even offered me some advice as well.

Coach 5: Sark’s doing a good job. How much of that is actual recruiting and how much of that is because we can offer a lot more collective money? But that’s kinda the deal nowadays. But he’s getting a lot of kids.

Coach 6: I gotta say Joey (McGuire). Joey just makes you feel relaxed because he was one of us. He’s really genuine. Lots of energy.

Coach 7: Jeff Traylor.

Coach 8: Mike Bloomgren at Rice and Colby Carthel at Stephen F. Austin both do a great job. Bloomgren is the most visible to me. Also, I think Scotty Walden and the new staff at UTEP are going to do a great job.

Which assistant coaches in Texas stand out to you in recruiting?

Coach 1: (Texas special teams coach) Jeff Banks is the guy. From what I was told, they send Banks to see the top guys. (Texas safeties coach) Blake Gideon does a good job.

Coach 2: Paul Gonzales at TCU and Joe Price at UTSA. Roger Hinshaw at Houston Christian is a legend. Clay Jennings at North Texas as well.

Coach 3: Banks is so darn good at it. He was really good when he was at A&M and he’s really good at Texas. Joe Price, he’s really good about keeping tabs. Shawn Bell at Houston, who used to be at Baylor. He would stop by even if it wasn’t one of his (assigned) schools.

Coach 4: Joe Price at UTSA and (director of recruiting) Justin Owens at North Texas. They both do a great job of staying in contact and following up on players. Alex Brown, (general manager) at SMU, is also definitely up there.

Coach 5: Bradley Dale Peveto, who was at UTEP but is at Texas State now, he’s recruited the state well for years and years. Joe Price always does a pretty good job. Jon Kay at Rice is very visible and around.

Coach 6: Paul Gonzales at TCU has always been solid. He does his due diligence, is very transparent about, “I don’t know if we’ll (offer) him,” or “Hey, we really like him.” … Matt Powledge, Baylor’s (defensive coordinator) is also open and honest about where they are with guys. (Texas Tech receivers coach Justin Johnson), he’s an energy guy, does a great job with the kids. He’s always been real. AJ Milwee, Texas’ quarterback coach, has been great. Every time he comes by here, he’s spending a minimum of two hours and we’re just talking. Blake Gideon recruits here as well and is very good.

Coach 7: (Texas offensive line coach Kyle) Flood has done an amazing job. He’s been by here an ungodly amount of times, been on the (whiteboard). When (defensive line coach Bo Davis) was at Texas, he did a phenomenal job recruiting this area. (Baylor outside linebackers coach) Caleb Collins has done a fantastic job. He’s been by here religiously, the second-most behind Flood.

Coach 8: Shawn Bell over at Houston. I like Drew Svoboda at North Texas. Joe Price at UTSA comes to my school a lot.

Steve Sarkisian and his staff have helped Texas remain a major player in Houston. (Sara Diggins / American-Statesman / USA Today)

Which out-of-state program does the best job in Houston?

Coach 1: Utah. Morgan Scalley is the best out-of-state recruiter. He doesn’t wait. He offers guys who don’t have any offers who are ball players. If Scalley offers you on Friday, by Monday you have Baylor, TCU and a bunch of others coming back behind.

Coach 2: Oklahoma is always around. Oregon comes by a lot and they’ve done that for a while. LSU is always around, too.

Coach 3: Nebraska. Matt Rhule’s got them all over here. He hired Garret McGuire and (former UIL executive director) Susan Elza, all those Texas people.

Coach 4: Oklahoma and LSU are probably the top two. Arizona State does a good job in Houston as well.

Coach 5: You can’t knock what Georgia’s done. They’ve come in here and grabbed a couple of five-stars recently. Ohio State has done a really good job here in Houston.

Coach 6: Kansas. Jonathan Wallace, the running backs coach, is one of my favorite recruiters. Very honest, very personable, just has a good vibe to him. And the head coach (Lance Leipold) has been through, I really like him.

Coach 7: Oklahoma has been down here the most. They brought Brent Venables through. … (The head coach has) only so many visits and places he can go and people he can see. So when he takes time out of his day to stop by, it sends a powerful message. (Arkansas coach) Sam Pittman came by and sat for an hour and a half and just talked. It’s a great way to build a bridge and show the kids how important they really are to them.

Coach 8: Oklahoma brings it. I consider them Texas North. They send a lot of guys, they know where to go and they’ve always done a good job of getting Houston kids to go up there.

Have you seen more of Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah since they announced their move to the Big 12?

Coach 1: Arizona State has been here a lot. It used to be just (cornerbacks coach) Bryan Carrington but now all their position coaches come through. Arizona has come by, but Arizona State has been by more. I haven’t seen the Colorado staff at all (during the winter contact period).

Coach 2: Not really. Utah has always recruited here; (defensive coordinator) Morgan Scalley does a great job. Arizona State is here. But I haven’t seen a big increase (in those schools).

Coach 3: The two Arizona schools, they’ve been by (more often).

Coach 4: I love Deion (Sanders) and what he’s about, but I haven’t seen anyone from Colorado come to my school since he took over. I used to see coaches from Colorado come by before (Sanders), but not now. Arizona State, Carrington contacts me quite a bit. Utah, I’ve seen Scalley a whole bunch and also (cornerbacks coach Sharrieff) Shah.

Coach 6: Arizona did a good job of coming out. (Former defensive backs coach) Chuck Cecil has always come by here and did a great job before he moved into an off-field role. Utah has always come through. Arizona State came through with (Ra’Shaad) Samples, before they knew they were coming to the Big 12.

Coach 7: I have not seen Colorado at all. The DC from Utah (Scalley) has always recruited Houston well. I’ve seen Arizona a little bit. Bryan Carrington (from Arizona State) came by also.

Coach 8: Yes, especially Arizona State. I’ve seen them at my school every year I’ve been here. Utah has always recruited Houston; I’ve known Morgan Scalley for years. I haven’t seen Arizona much. I haven’t seen Colorado at all in the last year.

How much will Texas’ move to the SEC affect the dynamics of recruiting in Houston?

Coach 1: I think it’s going to hurt A&M a lot because that was their one-up on Texas.

Coach 2: I don’t think it’ll affect it at all. The Texas and Texas A&M brands are so big. The top kids want to go there anyway.

Coach 5: With Houston’s proximity to the Southeast, I don’t think it’s going to change that much. SEC schools have always come down to Houston to try to get the top targets.

Coach 6: Those three letters, S-E-C, are a big deal. When you talk about a school that is where they are money-wise, brand power and you add the SEC to that recipe, I think it’s going to bode well for Texas. I think you’re going to see an uptick in Houston kids going to the SEC, even to the out-of-state schools, too. They can say, “Hey, we’re truly coming to Texas” (to play Texas and Texas A&M). So I could see some of those out-of-state SEC schools more than just dip their toe in Houston.

Coach 7: It’s gonna be hard for the University of Houston to get the big guys from the city of Houston. It’ll make it harder for them to survive in the Big 12. They used to get one or two or three developmental-type guys, like (former UH and current Houston Texans tackle) Josh Jones, a lot of those guys are gonna get eaten up by SEC schools.

How much has NIL changed your role in the recruiting process?

(Although NIL is often discussed during a recruitment, Texas state law prohibits high school athletes from monetizing their name, image and likeness, meaning they must wait until they are enrolled at their chosen college before cashing in.)

Coach 1: You have to discuss it with the kid and their parents. You have to be aware. It’s so unregulated, and every school is different, so it’s hard to compare. But you have to talk about it. We try to educate about financial literacy, taxes, stuff like that. If you don’t do it, somebody else will.

Coach 2: Not at all. College coaches don’t talk to me about NIL, they talk to the kids and the families. I have not had one conversation with a college coach about any kind of NIL offer.

Coach 3: We’ve had to deal with it here. We had a kid who was committed and started shopping himself around and got a lot more money. We have to talk these guys through the process. It’s a game-changer.

Coach 4: I talk to our kids about it. It’s a motivator for them to keep their grades up if they’re going to be the type of player to get an NIL deal. If the ability to make money (in college) doesn’t motivate you to do even better academically, then nothing else will.

Coach 6: My only communication with my kids is: I know it seems like a lot of money, but you’re going to be able to make that up tenfold at the next level on Sundays, so don’t make your decision based on that. Make the decision based on where you want to be. Don’t choose a school just because all of a sudden someone offered you more. Take all the money out and ask yourself, “Where would I want to be?” and let your heart guide you a little bit.

Coach 7: It’s made us talk more sincerely to our players about their reputation, their Twitter profile, that they’re putting on there, what kind of name they’re making for themselves and what kind of image they’re projecting. Before, it was like, “Hey, when you go to college, you want to make sure you keep your reputation clean, because eventually someone’s going to want to draft you.” Now, we’ve sped the whole thing up. Talking to people who have paid out NIL money, there were a lot of questions asked about who they’re paying. They want to make smart investments.

Coach 8: That’s for the kid and their parents to decide. I want to stay neutral as much as I can because that’s not my money.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I admittedly haven’t done much homework on Rink but at first glance he is listed at 6’1 260. Seems like we’ve been pretty lukewarm with our interest for a while and haven’t some 9.95ers been saying Sarkisian wants to get bigger at DT?

My impression from what's been out there is he's a high effort, high floor, low ceiling take that is likely to maximize. Considering he's a legacy, I'd think he's a take. 

21 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

My impression from what's been out there is he's a high effort, high floor, low ceiling take that is likely to maximize. Considering he's a legacy, I'd think he's a take. 

My impression from his not listing Texas is that the Texas staff wants to be beaten out for his signature. 

• Hook 'Em 1