Bob Dole has passed

Gil Bang

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A thoroughly decent man, I think, although I'm sure someone will point up something he did that was reprehensible.

RIP

It was back when garden-variety reprehensible stuff didn't turn your stomach or call for a criminal investigation. I think he left his first wife cold-bloodedly. He was probably involved in some of the scandals in the day. Par for a politician.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

A thoroughly decent man, I think, although I'm sure someone will point up something he did that was reprehensible.

RIP

people are complicated, and so are politics. but he definitely was one of the good guys. part of the departing generation of legislators who served in the armed forces during world war ii. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Any guesses which former President(s) won’t attend his funeral?

I met him once in San Antonio.  Every serious career diplomat/military officer I know held him in the highest regard.  Because he didn't constantly bring up what a great patriot he was, makes him the ultimate patriot IMO.  He will be missed.  Carter probably can't attend for health reasons, but Dole's body will lay in state as it should be.  Any fucking cock-sucking piece of human shit that held the Oval who doesn't come and pay tribute in person can choke on taints in hell.  

We're down to probably 9 decent statesman-patriots in this nation.  That ain't a good fucking sign.  

RIP, Bob Dole.  Rest in Peace.  

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Eh. He admitted he voted for Trump twice and called himself a Trumper in July of this year.

See ya Bob.

It's sad.  What trump has done to this country, and how he's ruined the legacy of so many people.  100 years from now what any of these people will be remembered for is enabling the Trumpublicans.  The rest of Dole's legacy, as just good and decent as it is, will not be forgotten by history.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Eh. He admitted he voted for Trump twice and called himself a Trumper in July of this year.

See ya Bob.

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

It's sad.  What trump has done to this country, and how he's ruined the legacy of so many people.  100 years from now what any of these people will be remembered for is enabling the Trumpublicans.  The rest of Dole's legacy, as just good and decent as it is, will not be forgotten by history.

Yeah.....can say some decent things about Dole.  Plenty, actually.  But way to taint the legacy.  History will not be a kind judge of people who enabled one of the most malignant political forces in American history.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Partisan hacks now believe Dole died a leftist.

Edited to support my claim with the fact that partisan hacks have labeled Gorge Will a liberal. Will and Dole were conservative icons. Until they weren’t. Though I expect these same hacks to pretzel this ‘evilution’ (no sic.)

Edited by Willfully Horn
Explained
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"He lost the election, and I regret that he did, but they did," Dole said. "He had Rudy Giuliani running all over the country, claiming fraud. He never had one bit of fraud in all those lawsuits he filed and statements he made."

"I'm a Trumper," Dole said at one point during the conversation. But he added at another, "I'm sort of Trumped out, though."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/7995412002

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....can say some decent things about Dole.  Plenty, actually.  But way to taint the legacy.  History will not be a kind judge of people who enabled one of the most malignant political forces in American history.

HAHA.  He said "taint". 

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

See ya Bob.

9 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

One of the last of the guys who could work across the aisle.

2 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Partisan hacks now believe Dole died a leftist.

It really tarnishes his judgement given that he has to know that Trumpkins hated Republicans that worked across the aisle, and Trump openly fed on that.  Shit he can't go a week or two these days without bashing Mitch over this very topic.

And Dole was proud of getting bi-partisan support for legislation.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It really tarnishes his judgement given that he has to know that Trumpkins hated Republicans that worked across the aisle, and Trump openly fed on that.  Shit he can't go a week or two these days without bashing Mitch over this very topic.

And Dole was proud of getting bi-partisan support for legislation.

Yeah, that surprised me and I thought maybe it was a product of his dotage.  But, apparently not.  He said he was "trumped out" and also said the election absolutely was not stolen, so he was still sentient.

Puzzling.  I'd really figure him for a never-Trumper.

I could see Bob being against Hillary in 2016, and holding his nose and voting for Trump.  There was some bad blood between the Clintons and the Doles going back decades (the 96 election being probably the most tame aspect of it).  So yeah, sure.....93 year old senile white man votes for Trump.  Not a big shocker.  What I can't understand is why he'd vote for him in 2020.  Unless some handler just told Bob Dole he voted for Trump and Bob just repeated that, not totally knowing for sure.  

I still get choked up at that scene where Dole struggles to stand and salute H.W. Bush's casket, but he was determined to do so of his own accord.  And then I think that Trump won't even be bothered to attend the D.C. services, citing "several calls and many meetings" that he had to take in Mar-a-Lago.  Or maybe his bone spurs are acting up again.