LAPD shoots at guy armed with bike lock, kill 14 year old bystander

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, honolulu horn said:

There may be hope for that cop yet, if he follows in the footsteps of another LAPD legend who had to surrender his weapon after killing a child:

Al_Powell.jpeg

[Sorry, I know that is in terribly bad taste.]

The officer was immediately honored with the Reginald VelJohnson Medal of Distinction for Bravery In The Area of Child Murder 

IF the suspect had a gun, even not fired, I guarantee the initial story would have been that the suspect’s shot killed that girl. Then the ballistics results would have been released in 6 months on a Friday at 4:55p going into a holiday weekend.

it’s probably hard to obscure a shooting like this in a dept store with dozens of witnesses.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

IF the suspect had a gun, even not fired, I guarantee the initial story would have been that the suspect’s shot killed that girl. Then the ballistics results would have been released in 6 months on a Friday at 4:55p going into a holiday weekend.

it’s probably hard to obscure a shooting like this in a dept store with dozens of witnesses.

Without witnesses, you could pretty much guarantee that the body cams would have been malfunctioning that day.

• Rage+1 1

Video is out the cop was waiting to shoot.  Not a good shoot at all.  No one in danger.  Suspect was in full retreat.  He had 7 other cops behind him.  He was last one to arrive on scene and wanted to take point.  Didn't wait for his coverage.  Turned the corner and fired off 3 shots.  He's a fuckhead.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:51 PM, honolulu horn said:

There may be hope for that cop yet, if he follows in the footsteps of another LAPD legend who had to surrender his weapon after killing a child:

Al_Powell.jpeg

[Sorry, I know that is in terribly bad taste.]

You know, when you're a rookie, they can teach you everything about bein' a cop except how to live with a mistake.

On 12/28/2021 at 5:10 AM, FartingMonk said:

Video is out the cop was waiting to shoot.  Not a good shoot at all.  No one in danger.  Suspect was in full retreat.  He had 7 other cops behind him.  He was last one to arrive on scene and wanted to take point.  Didn't wait for his coverage.  Turned the corner and fired off 3 shots.  He's a fuckhead.

Yea. I just read the story and saw the body cam. He was itching to get in the front of the line with his war gun and put a bad guy down. The man he shot was not approaching him and had no potential victims in his immediate area. There was also no avenue of escape.

I don't know the laws regarding police action, but this was bad. I assume some or all of the other cops had stun guns; why weren't they using them?

It's always a nice touch that cops surround a mortally wounded suspect screaming at him to turn over so they can cuff him.  The Church of Officer Safety has given us a sadistic cult prone to ritualistic human sacrifice.

Remember the quaint days when officers were rough-edged tough guys content to physically engage instead of standing off with an assault rifle? Those were the "good" old days of suspects getting roughed up instead of executed.

Just another steel wire wrapped into the cable of our country's zip-line to shame and oblivion.

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Yea. I just read the story and saw the body cam. He was itching to get in the front of the line with his war gun and put a bad guy down. The man he shot was not approaching him and had no potential victims in his immediate area. There was also no avenue of escape.

I don't know the laws regarding police action, but this was bad. I assume some or all of the other cops had stun guns; why weren't they using them?

It's always a nice touch that cops surround a mortally wounded suspect screaming at him to turn over so they can cuff him.  The Church of Officer Safety has given us a sadistic cult prone to ritualistic human sacrifice.

Remember the quaint days when officers were rough-edged tough guys content to physically engage instead of standing off with an assault rifle? Those were the "good" old days of suspects getting roughed up instead of executed.

Just another steel wire wrapped into the cable of our country's zip-line to shame and oblivion.

Fog of war and communication is what ultimately started it.  They called away an active shooter situation.  The respondent cops should throw out a status update.  The rest is down to how we train these days.  They tell the cops that everyone is out to kill you.  The ROE is terrible.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, cabowabo said:

And especially with a 5.56/223 round.

I don't know details about ammunition, but I assume this refers to the size and velocity of a round that easily sails through a body and a wall to enter another body with fatal force.

I couldn't agree more about about the choice of projectile. That rifle shouldn't be pulled if there is not already a firefight in the open. Think Heat.

spacer.png

I'm sure the protests and law suits and money grabs and police denials and violence advocacy to follow will be nauseating from just about every angle, but man; a 14 year old girl was trying on a dress and her life ended needlessly in an instant. A mother goes from hugging her daughter to hugging her daughter's corpse.

That's truly a horrible nightmare. In that little room, worlds were shattered. There is such a thin veneer of order stretched over waiting chaos. I discovered that during the LA riots of 92. I've never forgotten it. 

Edited by RomaVicta

The dividing line is this: we have far too many people -- particularly in law enforcement -- who WANT to pull the trigger on a gun, as opposed to those who want NOT to pull the trigger on a gun.

There's a deep, binary ethos in there, and it matters.  People who never, ever want to pull the trigger to shoot another human being, and will do all they can reasonably do to avoid it, are who we want to see out there as armed officers of the State.  Not people who are just waiting for their chance to pull the trigger.  Those people should never come anywhere close to being given a badge and a gun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Putting aside the discussion of whether a shot needed to be fired or not (it didn’t), we are talking basic firearm safety failures. 

what. Is. Behind. Your. Target. 

applies to any firearm, bow, slingshot, bolo, etc. Let alone a high powered rifle in the hands of a “trained professional”

total fucking clown show. 

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The dividing line is this: we have far too many people -- particularly in law enforcement -- who WANT to pull the trigger on a gun, as opposed to those who want NOT to pull the trigger on a gun.

There's a deep, binary ethos in there, and it matters.  People who never, ever want to pull the trigger to shoot another human being, and will do all they can reasonably do to avoid it, are who we want to see out there as armed officers of the State.  Not people who are just waiting for their chance to pull the trigger.  Those people should never come anywhere close to being given a badge and a gun.

That, along with the paradigm shift away from “cops put themselves in danger to protect the public” to “cops protect themselves from danger at any cost to the public.”  

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Terrible tragedy

This part is just icing on the cake as far as the crazy guy behavior goes though:

"Elena-Lopez continued to terrorize patrons and took off his pants before he attacked the third woman from behind and hit her repeatedly with the heavy-duty cable lock."

https://nypost.com/2021/12/27/shocking-lapvideo-shows-burlington-store-shot-by-stray-bullet/

3 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I don't know details about ammunition, but I assume this refers to the size and velocity of a round that easily sails through a body and a wall to enter another body with fatal force.

I couldn't agree more about about the choice of projectile. That rifle shouldn't be pulled if there is not already a firefight in the open. Think Heat.

spacer.png

I'm sure the protests and law suits and money grabs and police denials and violence advocacy to follow will be nauseating from just about every angle, but man; a 14 year old girl was trying on a dress and her life ended needlessly in an instant. A mother goes from hugging her daughter to hugging her daughter's corpse.

That's truly a horrible nightmare. In that little room, worlds were shattered. There is such a thin veneer of order stretched over waiting chaos. I discovered that during the LA riots of 92. I've never forgotten it. 

Agree. An AR-15 should have never been used indoors like this. Cop was channeling his inner Call of Duty instincts and was imagining he was in the middle of a Somali war zone I guess. What a fucking idiot and he should be tried for the murder of that little girl. 

37 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Agree. An AR-15 should have never been used indoors like this

Much worse than this.  See that 4x ACOC on that old battle rifle (M16A1)?  Mounted above the handle.  The POI on that from a few feet away is got to be  4+ inches, given the shot distance.  So you have a full size rifle with an optic with poor eye relief and is hard to quickly acquire (ocular lens).....is about the worst option for urban LEOs I can think of?  Then with such a fast time coming up on target and the shots, debatable he even acquired the target.  They're responsible for every round fired.  Period.  

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Much worse than this.  See that 4x ACOC on that old battle rifle (M16A1)?  Mounted above the handle.  The POI on that from a few feet away is got to be  4+ inches, given the shot distance.  So you have a full size rifle with an optic with poor eye relief and is hard to quickly acquire (ocular lens).....is about the worst option for urban LEOs I can think of?  Then with such a fast time coming up on target and the shots, debatable he even acquired the target.  They're responsible for every round fired.  Period.  

Counterpoint - it makes you look like a tactical badass hoorah git some stay frosty gotta make it home safe!

Obviously, my viewpoint above wins among American LEOs.

5 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A fixed 4X scope was used?

4 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

A fixed 4X scope was used?

Looks like it?  I think it's the old ACOG.  So you have a magnification factor at extremely close range and a POI off by at least 4 inches (your mom).  That's a standoff option, not something you charge into a store with.  Dumb. and seems a clear indication of a serious lack of training.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, BabaYaga said:

Looks like it?  I think it's the old ACOC.  So you have a magnification factor at extremely close range and a POI off by at least 4 inches (your mom).  That's a standoff option, not something you charge into a store with.  Dumb. and seems a clear indication of a serious lack of training.  

That's weird to say the least. That's the type of optic I would use to shoot a hog in my backyard area, not for close quarters.  Obviously a handgun would've been far more appropriate and better yet a a taser or other nonlethal weapon. Cops are dumb

• Hook 'Em 1

Here it is

4x ACOG Scope - Used airsoft equipment

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

That's weird to say the least. That's the type of optic I would use to shoot a hog in my backyard area, not for close quarters.  Obviously a handgun would've been far more appropriate and better yet a a taser or other nonlethal weapon. Cops are dumb

Dude had his pants off.  Taze him in one of his getaway sticks

• Hook 'Em 1