Leaving education

Did a quick search for this topic, didn’t see anything, so SIAP. 

After 10+ years as an educator in K-12, I don’t think I can do it any longer. 

What in the world can I do with that experience and bachelor’s and master’s in education? I see recommendations for Instructional Design or Training Management in the corporate realm, or ed tech and education-adjacent sales…anyway, just seeing if anyone else has made the switch at this point in their career and had advice/thoughts. Or should I just apply to Costco and call it a day?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

What in the world can I do with that experience and bachelor’s and master’s in education? I see recommendations for Instructional Design or Training Management in the corporate realm, or ed tech and education-adjacent sales…anyway, just seeing if anyone else has made the switch at this point in their career and had advice/thoughts. Or should I just apply to Costco and call it a day?

Dunno, good luck with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Training management in the corporate world seems like the natural fit if you don’t want to move into the college realm. A lot of companies are looking for training directors, learning directors, etc. We’re in the process of hiring one right now to oversee our continuing education program.

I was in education for 6 years when I left.  I went to grad school and ended up doing something completely different.  I never really knew what I wanted to do and I think that's a huge disadvantage.  The things I learned in the classroom served me very well in my career and I am very adaptable, but it was hard getting started because I didn't have a clear sense of direction.  

From what you said in your post, you're looking at the same problem.

You can do anything you want to do, especially if you are willing to step back in salary and start over.  You can make it up a lot faster in the private sector than you can in public or probably even private education.  I would lean on friends who know you well and ask them what they think you should be doing as that may help give you some direction.

• Hook 'Em 1

How old are you (presuming mid-30s)?

Spouse/significant other? Kids? Elderly relatives/family care obligations?

Debt situation? Ability to relocate? Savings/family money you can leverage for new degree/professional certification?

Also, do you want to make max money or do you prioritize intangibles like flexibility, lower stress, unique company benefits, etc?

I’m almost 37 and been through 3x significant career changes since undergrad (Fortune 500—>Military—>MPA—>Consulting); and the questions above were often just as pertinent (if not more important) than my career interests/resume/relevant skills at each stage.

There’s a trillion well-paying jobs being given to lazy morons on a daily basis right now; so don’t sell yourself short and take something “good enough” just because it’s less shitty than teaching.

Also, make sure you take inventory of how much the absence of structure (e.g. bell schedule) and loss of guaranteed breaks like winter holidays and summer may affect your quality of life.

Most “good careers” in corporate world have terrible cultures with respect to PTO (can elaborate more if you want); and work from home can also be a fucking nightmare depending on your personality….some jobs also require a lot of self-teaching/initiative with minimal guidance which is great if you like to color outside the lines but not easy for people accustomed to rigidity of a things lesson plan or field manual.

Best advice thus far is do as many “take your friend to work” days as you can within your network and see what resonates.

Also, don’t be afraid to work at Costco if it “works for you” and/or allows you to constructively hustle your way toward a longer term vision. You’ll probably like your peer group way more than any job you’ve held before and may find unique sense of purpose/accomplishment by “working for a living” instead of staring at dual monitors or listening to bullshit on a zoom as in a “prestigious role” somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Get into software support on the customer or junior technical side if you aren't a worthless piece of shit you can change jobs 3 times in 5 years and make 100k+ pretty easily as a competent person. If you excel you can do it within 2 at a single company who understands the situation. 

• Hook 'Em 3

First off, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I've been a teacher for 18 years now and I can totally understand wanting to get out. I was in that same spot about 10 years ago and started looking around for new jobs. Fortunately, I got a new teaching position at my school that was a much better fit for me and had a chance to do some side work for textbook companies and as a trainer for a large educational company. Those side jobs have led to other full-time offers over the years. 

Is there a possibility of staying in the classroom and doing something else on the side? I just hate to see good people leave the profession, although no one would blame you if you did. Especially after these last couple of years.

I've got more thoughts, but my students only have five more minutes to finish their test which means I need to actually start working. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1

As others mentioned, get into IT.  You have a Masters to your name.  I assume  you can apply concepts, logic, and are serious about any role you accept.  Learn cloud computing.  McCombs has a 6 months post graduate cloud computing course.  Take it.  Learn Python (easy) and Linux (fun, but will take more time).  The McCombs pg-cc certificate will get the ball rolling for you.  You can probably land a decent WFH job.  Then after a year or two, earn the AWS Solutions Architect Associate.  No coding for the exam---its multiple choice, scenario-based questions.  Once  you have the AWS cert,  $170-$220K.   Then revisit this thread for the update.  Thank me later.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have a disappoint that nobody has suggested going to law school.

¿Shag², why hath thou forsaken me?

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Ha.  Well you know...attorneys, kool-aid-smile real estate types, and people person jobs will be obsolete in our lifetime.  AI, ML, cloud will move us forward. JK. 

The quicker path to earning a livable salary is to solution with cloud services.  Pull the proper levers for a multitude of cloud services. Cut costs.  Increase efficiency.  C-suite and clients happy.  Attend hi-level dinners with trophy wife.  Everyone wins.

Edited by Shaggy3.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

Big thanks to everyone who responded, even those without advice who offered well wishes. 

On 2/10/2022 at 12:38 AM, Muny_Tex said:

How old are you (presuming mid-30s)?

Spouse/significant other? Kids? Elderly relatives/family care obligations?

Debt situation? Ability to relocate? Savings/family money you can leverage for new degree/professional certification?

Also, do you want to make max money or do you prioritize intangibles like flexibility, lower stress, unique company benefits, etc?

I’m almost 37 and been through 3x significant career changes since undergrad (Fortune 500—>Military—>MPA—>Consulting); and the questions above were often just as pertinent (if not more important) than my career interests/resume/relevant skills at each stage.

There’s a trillion well-paying jobs being given to lazy morons on a daily basis right now; so don’t sell yourself short and take something “good enough” just because it’s less shitty than teaching.

Also, make sure you take inventory of how much the absence of structure (e.g. bell schedule) and loss of guaranteed breaks like winter holidays and summer may affect your quality of life.

Most “good careers” in corporate world have terrible cultures with respect to PTO (can elaborate more if you want); and work from home can also be a fucking nightmare depending on your personality….some jobs also require a lot of self-teaching/initiative with minimal guidance which is great if you like to color outside the lines but not easy for people accustomed to rigidity of a things lesson plan or field manual.

Best advice thus far is do as many “take your friend to work” days as you can within your network and see what resonates.

Also, don’t be afraid to work at Costco if it “works for you” and/or allows you to constructively hustle your way toward a longer term vision. You’ll probably like your peer group way more than any job you’ve held before and may find unique sense of purpose/accomplishment by “working for a living” instead of staring at dual monitors or listening to bullshit on a zoom as in a “prestigious role” somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the questions to prompt my thinking. Family (young children, grandparents in the area, wife’s desire to stay here) means I can’t relocate—the support and benefits of being close to them are super important to us. I’m 40, with no debt…a new degree is probably not on the table, as much for time and energy as for cost. (Though I do have savings to leverage for a career transition and certificate, which sounds interesting based on feedback from others in the thread.) My wife makes significantly more than I do, so I don’t feel a ton of pressure to maximize money. Her job doesn’t come with health insurance, though, so that is a clear benefit I need. Again, you provide some great reflection points for personal inventory.

17 hours ago, immamac said:

Get into software support on the customer or junior technical side if you aren't a worthless piece of shit you can change jobs 3 times in 5 years and make 100k+ pretty easily as a competent person. If you excel you can do it within 2 at a single company who understands the situation. 

I’m probably not ready to list “not a worthless piece of shit” on my resume, but I  like to think I can learn/adapt. Thanks for the specific recommendation, along with salesforce from @bluto

16 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

First off, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I've been a teacher for 18 years now and I can totally understand wanting to get out. I was in that same spot about 10 years ago and started looking around for new jobs. Fortunately, I got a new teaching position at my school that was a much better fit for me and had a chance to do some side work for textbook companies and as a trainer for a large educational company. Those side jobs have led to other full-time offers over the years. 

Is there a possibility of staying in the classroom and doing something else on the side? I just hate to see good people leave the profession, although no one would blame you if you did. Especially after these last couple of years.

I've got more thoughts, but my students only have five more minutes to finish their test which means I need to actually start working. Feel free to DM me if you want to talk more.

Thanks for using that precious “resting quiet time” to respond, I know those moments well, ha. I’d be interested in some of those “on the side” opportunities to even see if, as someone else asked, I’m ready for the work environment outside the rhythms of a school day/year.  I’ll DM you. 

13 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

As others mentioned, get into IT.  You have a Masters to your name.  I assume  you can apply concepts, logic, and are serious about any role you accept.  Learn cloud computing.  McCombs has a 6 months post graduate cloud computing course.  Take it.  Learn Python (easy) and Linux (fun, but will take more time).  The McCombs pg-cc certificate will get the ball rolling for you.  You can probably land a decent WFH job.  Then after a year or two, earn the AWS Solutions Architect Associate.  No coding for the exam---its multiple choice, scenario-based questions.  Once  you have the AWS cert,  $170-$220K.   Then revisit this thread for the update.  Thank me later.

This sound interesting. Your assumption re: my ability for logic/concepts/seriousness is a solid one, (or if it isn’t I should be starting an entirely different thread.) I have absolutely no background knowledge in IT but am willing to consider a switch if there’s the kind of certainty regarding the future that you describe. 

Overall, it’s crazy to even be considering this. I loved going into the classroom each day for a long time, felt fulfilled by the vocation, and saw myself as a career educator. But these last two years have made it draining, and while not dreadful, at least not meaningful/fulfilling enough to make up for the stress/challenges. Which may sound crazy, of course—I’m sure there are lots of careers with way more stress than education. Anyway, thanks again for the responses and in advance for anyone else who replies. 

5 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

This sound interesting. Your assumption re: my ability for logic/concepts/seriousness is a solid one, (or if it isn’t I should be starting an entirely different thread.) I have absolutely no background knowledge in IT but am willing to consider a switch if there’s the kind of certainty regarding the future that you describe. 

To clarify, I offered one IT career track within a growth industry.  The only certainty I can promise is cloud-related roles are not going away anytime soon.  Many clients I know will implement cloud-hybrid or cloud-native architectures for the next 3, 5, X years.  Some informative links to help you get up to speed:

(HookEm!)  https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/-/cloud-computing-expands-brain-sciences

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2021/10/25/the-5-biggest-cloud-computing-trends-in-2022/amp/  (with audio)

Many technical and non-technical roles are available in this space.  Here's an example:

https://bmarkits.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/2022-Benchmark-IT-Technology-Salary-Hiring-Guide-Jan-2022.pdf

Scroll to page 9.  You'll see technical/non-technical positions.  The document will provide potential salary ranges for each position group.  What you eventually earn is up to you.  Discipline, effort, and reliability--basic skills that will separate you from the crowd.  And no, I'm not a technical recruiter.  But I do hear from several every week to stay informed on business needs and trends. 

[TEX Voice] Good Bye and Good Luck [/TEX Voice] 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good for the OP to look for something outside their normal field. Too many people fall into a rut that whatever they started at 22 is their career for life. I know MDs that have pretty much dropped their practice because they realized a standard medical career wasn't for them.  

You can either completely start over, or find ways to leverage your experience and education.  One question to ask yourself is whether you want to maximize income potential or find something that you're passionate about. Those rarely intersect unless you're passionate about maximizing your income.

If you want to stay in the classroom but not with school-age kids, corp training is always an option. However, I've always wondered if someone is really challenged in corp training when they pretty much teach a 1 to 5 day session over and over and over. Obviously they know their material well, but that could be boring for some. But maybe others thrive in that. 

Corp training for large organizations is more structured and they need people that can design and administer training sessions. I would imagine their world has changed somewhat given the remote nature of so many workers now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I'll hire you as a junior salesforce admin tomorrow. But I pay like shit and play golf instead of managing my employees. 

How many sick days do I get and how long do I have to be there before I can use them?

Seriously though is Salesforce Trailhead a good place to get some skills for a possible career move? I've been in banking for about 10 years and a branch manager for 5 so those skills aren't that translatable. However, I have been a system admin and in charge of our third party imaging software since 2012 so that might be of use.

I bet someone used to corralling shithead kids would be a great scrum master. Not necessarily recommending that specifically as a path because I’ve never been in an org that actually hires for that role (and so can’t comment). But I’d love to see it and also generally echo the idea that there are several paths worth exploring in tech. If you do shake that tree and are looking in the project management/agile facilitation realm, a CSM is a cheap and easy cert.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/9/2022 at 8:58 PM, XYZ said:

My wife, an elementary school teacher, quit last year. Couldn’t do it anymore. Sorry, I don’t have any suggestions but I hope you find something fulfilling.

Well, he now knows your wife has her afternoons free, so maybe you did provide something full filling? 

I feel you. I honestly think that I'd be out as well if it wasn't for the fact that I truly just love teaching my students.  And, your timing is impeccable.  

I go in an hour early every day to tutor.  I stay an hour late every day to tutor.  We just got our MOY MAP scores (used to measure growth) and mine are ridiculously high - especially in relation to the other teachers in the school.  I stayed until 8PM on Thursday to help out with a program.  I stayed until 6PM on Friday to help out with a Valentine's Day Bash - both voluntarily.  

What's the e-mail I get at the end of the day on Friday?  A page long diatribe about how 3 of my students had gone back to the classroom to retrieve something for lunch without my permission or knowledge.  

Sorry to thread-jack.  I just wanted to vent a sec.  Good luck with whatever you end up doing.  Do me a favor and update this thread as you progress.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I feel you. I honestly think that I'd be out as well if it wasn't for the fact that I truly just love teaching my students.  And, your timing is impeccable.  

I go in an hour early every day to tutor.  I stay an hour late every day to tutor.  We just got our MOY MAP scores (used to measure growth) and mine are ridiculously high - especially in relation to the other teachers in the school.  I stayed until 8PM on Thursday to help out with a program.  I stayed until 6PM on Friday to help out with a Valentine's Day Bash - both voluntarily.  

What's the e-mail I get at the end of the day on Friday?  A page long diatribe about how 3 of my students had gone back to the classroom to retrieve something for lunch without my permission or knowledge.  

Sorry to thread-jack.  I just wanted to vent a sec.  Good luck with whatever you end up doing.  Do me a favor and update this thread as you progress.

The students are the absolute best part of the job.  (I do think as I get older they sense a barrier even if I don’t…though I’ve worked with tons of teachers that are in their 50s-60s who kids loved and respected.) As your post and Friday experience remind, it’s the adults who make it crappy. I’m grateful you’re still finding fulfillment and going the extra mile for your students. It really does matter—teachers impact eternity. 

I may feel differently in a month…maybe I’ve just hit a low patch. But it seems different this time. It’s daunting to think about starting over…anyway, vent any time. I’ve always enjoyed your candor about teaching through your posts over the years. And I’ll definitely update this thread. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2022 at 10:10 AM, Js1 said:

I know a lot of former teachers who went into ed tech

Can you expand on this? What companies, what was the job, what additional education did they need, etc?

On 2/10/2022 at 9:53 AM, bluto said:

Piggybacking on Mac, learn salesforce and you’ll have a job in a week. Show competence/grow knowledge and you’ll be above 100k in 18 months. 

Any suggestions on where to start with this skillset in a way that could translate to a job?

On 2/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

Question for anyone: I work in higher ed and my wife is a MS science teacher. Wife is considering new careers. With 3 young kinds, having a couple of months in the summer to travel is really nice. Any suggestions for retaining some aspect of that- whether through WFH, vacation time, etc? Is that feasible from your experience?

1 hour ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

The students are the absolute best part of the job.  (I do think as I get older they sense a barrier even if I don’t…though I’ve worked with tons of teachers that are in their 50s-60s who kids loved and respected.) As your post and Friday experience remind, it’s the adults who make it crappy. I’m grateful you’re still finding fulfillment and going the extra mile for your students. It really does matter—teachers impact eternity. 

I may feel differently in a month…maybe I’ve just hit a low patch. But it seems different this time. It’s daunting to think about starting over…anyway, vent any time. I’ve always enjoyed your candor about teaching through your posts over the years. And I’ll definitely update this thread. 

Thanks for the post.  My feelings go up and down pretty regularly.  Right now I'm really close with my team and the school admins.  I'm not sure how it'd go if one of them left.  I'm sure you know how much of a difference the aforementioned makes.

As soon as that changes, I'm pretty sure the rest will push me over the edge.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn
Sorry for all the "sures" - bourbon
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Is agile/scrum still popular? Haven't heard much on it lately. More curious if anyone still using.

Yes, especially within the enterprise.  Many clients implement agile processes with different levels of success.  Some implement what I call scrum-fall, a scrum + waterfall  Frankenstein approach because leadership olds can't abandon old habits.  There's a healthy market for agile/scrum certified folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/10/2022 at 8:50 AM, immamac said:

THIS.  If you can pass a very simple SQL logic test my company will hire you in application support for at least $50k full remote and after a year you could easily parlay that into a job in our training department (typically a spot opens about every 6 months) and your tech and education combo would put you in the $75k range.  After you get that title the world is your oyster and you can pretty much jump around to any tech training position and move up to manager/director level and easily pull $100k+ in just a few years.

• Hook 'Em 1

I will third/fourth bluto and immamac and others on learning Salesforce. You can learn it for free on the web through Salesforce own training modules. I went the admin path. Able to work remote for a place out of NYC with equity and stock options and started in the mid 80s. I think the way they have gamified learning makes it addicting and I had my admin cert within 4 months. Not actually an admin, but in a Salesforce Operations role. I pretty much post on the site all day and do about 1-2 hours of work a day (no jinx). Tough to find Junior Admin roles in my experience, unless it’s at EBQ here in Austin cause they pay trash.

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/users/strailhead/trailmixes/prepare-for-your-salesforce-administrator-credential

Austin has a ton of marketing email roles that pay well and are easier to pick up than going into admin as well.

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/en/users/strailhead/trailmixes/prepare-for-your-marketing-cloud-email-specialist-credential

https://trailhead.salesforce.com/users/strailhead/trailmixes/prepare-for-your-pardot-specialist-credentialI

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 1:10 PM, SimonBolivar said:

How many sick days do I get and how long do I have to be there before I can use them?

Seriously though is Salesforce Trailhead a good place to get some skills for a possible career move? I've been in banking for about 10 years and a branch manager for 5 so those skills aren't that translatable. However, I have been a system admin and in charge of our third party imaging software since 2012 so that might be of use.

Absolutely. I did the admin trail path I posted above, along with another one and then used Focus on the Force to study. I think Udemy practically gives out test dumps as their practice tests though.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Absolutely. I did the admin trail path I posted above, along with another one and then used Focus on the Force to study. I think Udemy practically gives out test dumps as their practice tests though.

I did the first 3 badges and it seems simple enough. I'm a sysadmin here on top of my banking duties including running our document storage 3rd party software. Hopefully I can do this and use that for something.

Thanks!

On 2/9/2022 at 10:09 PM, Llewelyn Moss said:

So funny enough, a good friend of mine is an assistant principal (KIPP) who was telling me last night he can't do this anymore - between the parents, the students and the state/politics, it's just not worth it anymore.

He's looking to go into Instructional Design on the corporate side as well - said he's really gotten a lot of interest from that field. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'll 8th or whatever Salesforce. Super easy to get basic training (Trailhead) and very intuitive to use/learn.

My People Manager just left to go work for Salesforce and they told him that the main thing they are worried about with respect to growth is the ability to bring on people to run projects and work with clients. They also offered him a 25% salary increase over the consulting company salary. Salesforce is going to get even more ubiquitous.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 2/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, TKthunder2 said:

THIS.  If you can pass a very simple SQL logic test my company will hire you in application support for at least $50k full remote and after a year you could easily parlay that into a job in our training department (typically a spot opens about every 6 months) and your tech and education combo would put you in the $75k range.  After you get that title the world is your oyster and you can pretty much jump around to any tech training position and move up to manager/director level and easily pull $100k+ in just a few years.

Can you point us to your companies application?  

On 2/10/2022 at 8:53 AM, bluto said:

Piggybacking on Mac, learn salesforce and you’ll have a job in a week. Show competence/grow knowledge and you’ll be above 100k in 18 months. 

This, and sky is the limit in terms of comp with more experience.  I’m a mortgage lender and our SF guy is the best paid on our staff.